• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Cheerilee

If you know someone with a boat or you have a boat, that is the best experience.

I tried that once and got seasick. Completely ruined the experience. They said that can happen more often on firework nights due to all the boats in the water (normally the water is calmer).

Taking some Gravol before you go out can probably eliminate that problem.

Dazzler

A friend of mine sublet one of the houseboats in Coal Harbour for two months a while back and it was such a chill place to live. So peaceful stepping out on to the top deck and smoking a spliff at night

A South African couple own it and sublet it out for six months of the year while they get out of Van for winter

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Interest rate cut may send housing market further ‘off the charts’

“A further rate reduction risks inflaming the already-raging inferno under way in the housing market,” Porter said. “June home sales figures for Toronto and Vancouver were quite simply off the charts.”

Good lord I hope our real estate market normalize some time in the near future. Prices everywhere even as far as New West are seeing prices increase. I want to buy next year :(

Did anyone else go to the Pokemon concert last week? I loved it so much :')

Has anyone been to Whistler? I have a few questions as I'm heading out there soon. Please PM me.

I've been to Whistler a few times but there are probably people in here who have more experience with it than I do X_X! It's pretty, though, and I think you'll probably like it :).

Zekes!

What are some activities or things to check out (in downtown Vancouver) that you guys would recommend for someone who frequents Van? Like things that even frequent visitors might overlook or not know about.

I'm coming over to Van from Vic with my girlfriend next week and I haven't been over to the mainland for a good year at least. I feel like every time I'm in Vancouver though I'm either visiting family or there for any other reason besides just relaxing and taking in the city. This will actually be the first time I get to come over and just chill out. Even though I've seen a lot of what Van has to offer, I know there's still some stuff I haven't discovered or had the chance to experience.

Dazzler

Am I alone in being totally meh towards the annual summer fireworks in English Bay?

I live quite close to Kits Beach and the crowds for the three nights are a pain in the ass. Went out for a smoke on Wednesday night and some dude was peeing on my apartment building's stoop at like 11pm - wtf

Wedging myself in with 250,000 other people in English Bay sounds like hell on earth

We were down there last Saturday for the fireworks. Seemed way more chaotic than it was a couple years ago. Still had fun.

Had a great dinner at Tavola beforehand, though.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I was close to the Maritime Museum on Wednesday and there was lots of room to watch the fireworks. I was pleasantly surprised with the Brazilian show. Never going to English Bay again.

What are some activities or things to check out (in downtown Vancouver) that you guys would recommend for someone who frequents Van? Like things that even frequent visitors might overlook or not know about.

Couple come to mind: Harbour Air seaplanes are insane if you do a day over in Victoria or whatever. Also, there's a sweet open-air hotel bar at the Hotel Georgia (called Reflections) - great spot to grab a drink (it's not cheap, so I wouldn't go overboard there).

Cheerilee

Am I alone in being totally meh towards the annual summer fireworks in English Bay?

I live quite close to Kits Beach and the crowds for the three nights are a pain in the ass. Went out for a smoke on Wednesday night and some dude was peeing on my apartment building's stoop at like 11pm - wtf

Wedging myself in with 250,000 other people in English Bay sounds like hell on earth

I bike down there for the fireworks with a group of friends pretty regularly, and the pedestrian crowds seem to be significantly worse this year.

They're walking on the streets like oblivious and obnoxious jerks. They block up the entire street for no reason, and when you pull up behind them with a super-visible flashing LED headlight that's shining through their legs and lighting up the ground ahead of them, swerving from side to side, they don't notice and refuse to make a path for people to pass.

We saw one guy with his wife and kid walking down the middle of a street that wasn't closed to traffic, and most of the other people sort of shuffled off to the sides to make room for a car to get through, but these people are just strolling down the center of the street, and the car is rolling slowly and not making a big deal out of trying to get through but these people aren't moving, so he flashed his headlights off and on again, so the guy stops abruptly, turns around, slams his fists down on the hood of the car, and yells "My fucking KID is walking here!" Then he turns around and continues his stroll down the middle of the not-closed street and says to his wife/kid "Fucking cars need to learn their place in the world. WE own the streets today."

On the second day of the fireworks, we found an okay spot, sat down, and waited for the show to start, but ten minutes into the show some guy's walking through the crowd and then he stops, stands, pulls out his phone and starts taking vertical video of the fireworks. Some people yelled "Down in front!" and he looked down and yelled back "There's no room to sit!" and went back to iPhone filming. Someone else yelled "Move!" and he moved on to stand somewhere else. I looked around, and there were a lot of people in the crowd standing and filming with cell phones.

I was pretty dismayed on the day after the first fireworks when I saw on the news about the crews of workers cleaning up the litter, and them asking people to please clean up after themselves.

Of course, none of this is really unusual for the fireworks in my experience, but it seemed like the intensity of it has been higher this year.

Sora_N

Vancouver is getting worse and worse overall, heh.

I don't have time so not bothering with fireworks this year. I usually spend half a day at English Bay if I do.

Firestorm

Last Saturday it was just another friend and I so we just got there about 20 minutes before it began, found a spot to sit in English Bay, then booked it as soon as it ended and made it to the train before the bulk of the crowd.

If it's just a few people you can do fireworks fine. If it's more, you should make a day of it. Easiest way is to definitely stick around downtown and hit up a bar or something afterwards.

Tabris

Something something housing.
Something something Harper.

Both are Canadian issues, not specific to Vancouver.

Sure you can solve #1 by moving to New Brunswick or Regina or some other shitty Canadian city. If you want to live in the 3 centres of Canada - Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal - Expect to pay some money.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Both are Canadian issues, not specific to Vancouver.

Sure you can solve #1 by moving to New Brunswick or Regina or some other shitty Canadian city. If you want to live in the 3 centres of Canada - Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal - Expect to pay some money.

It was a joke. :/

Harusame

I went to the fireworks with some friends last night. We stayed at Kitsilano Beach even though I originally that we view the fireworks at Vanier Park; just an overall consensus of the group. While the fireworks were quite enjoyable, the people around us were less than satisfactory. We sat on the logs that we originally claimed and by the time the fireworks started, a number of annoyances started to occur.

To start off, a Russian group that was situated behind us talked non-stop throughout the fireworks, the mother of a Vietnamese family that was situated to the left of us was providing commentary to her son, who, at times would turn on his slightly distracting glow stick that flashed brightly. Lastly, a couple who were situated on a log that was right to us, stood up when the fireworks started. Because of the angle Kitsilano is to the fireworks barge, they started to impede our view. We didn't mind at first, because we just adjusted our view, but throughout the 30 minutes that fireworks displayed, they would slightly shuffle to left, meaning that eventually blocked out the view of our group. We tried to alert the couple in front us, but to no avail.

Other than that, there were some other annoyances, such as some photographers and blaring music, but they were minor. By the time the fireworks ended, we all decided that we should have followed my idea to view the fireworks at Vanier Park. Right after, we went to Duffin's Donuts to discuss our grievances...

Tabris

It was a joke. :/

Ah, hard to tell as that's a lot of what Vancouverites complain about, but the sad truth is you gotta pay for this kind of quality of life. London, Tokyo, Melbourne, Vancouver, Toronto, etc - All insanely expensive to live in.

I wonder if they would complain if they lived in Regina or New Brunswick for a year. That life suits other people, but if you want metropolitan city lifestyle + Canadian lifestyle, there's no cheap options.

Harusame

Anyone attending Anime Revolution this weekend?? I'm thinking of attending, however, I fear I will make my wallet weep, just like last year...

Cheerilee

Anyone attending Anime Revolution this weekend?? I'm thinking of attending, however, I fear I will make my wallet weep, just like last year...

I went in 2012 when they had a gathering of Sailor Moon voice actors, but since then the guest list hasn't really interested me.

Nothing else about the convention seemed "worth it", IMO. If I wanted to blow all of my money on anime, I could find better ways to do it.

I live up north but I'm currently down in Vancouver visiting, drove in yesterday to see the Wilco concert last night at The Orpheum. When I was going to college in Burnaby in 2006/2007 I spent a lot of time in downtown, but I had never been to East Hastings before yesterday. Holy crap. Has it always been that bad?

Sora_N

I live up north but I'm currently down in Vancouver visiting, drove in yesterday to see the Wilco concert last night at The Orpheum. When I was going to college in Burnaby in 2006/2007 I spent a lot of time in downtown, but I had never been to East Hastings before yesterday. Holy crap. Has it always been that bad?

Probably lol..

Alright Vancouver-GAF....

I have been invited to a birthday party, and it's being held at Steamworks on Waterfront. Anybody know what the beer and food is like?

Tabris

Alright Vancouver-GAF....

I have been invited to a birthday party, and it's being held at Steamworks on Waterfront. Anybody know what the beer and food is like?

It's good. Micro-brewery beer. Normal pub food.

They have this kind of neat micro-brewery flight (like a wine flight) which progresses from light to heavy. Well they had that a while ago, not sure if it still exists.

Funny thing though is it's safe there. I live a couple blocks away from that and never feel unsafe walking around there at night. But I would feel unsafe walking around Metrotown area and Surrey at night.

It's good. Micro-brewery beer. Normal pub food.

They have this kind of neat micro-brewery flight (like a wine flight) which progresses from light to heavy. Well they had that a while ago, not sure if it still exists.

Alright. I'm not exactly in the know when it comes to food and booze spots in downtown Vancouver, so it's better to ask y'all lol

Funny thing though is it's safe there. I live a couple blocks away from that and never feel unsafe walking around there at night. But I would feel unsafe walking around Metrotown area and Surrey at night.

Yeah, I'd feel safer in East Hastings then anywhere in Surrey, especially Newton.

Cheerilee

Nah, it used to be the commercial center of Vancouver. I'm old enough to remember a time when Woodwards was a megastore, and not an abandoned building occupied by homeless people (which it isn't even anymore).

They don't make buildings like this just so drug addicts can have something to urinate on.

Tabris

Nah, it used to be the commercial center of Vancouver. I'm old enough to remember a time when Woodwards was a megastore, and not an abandoned building occupied by homeless people (which it isn't even anymore).

They don't make buildings like this just so drug addicts can have something to urinate on.

I live in Woodwards now :)

Harusame

I went in 2012 when they had a gathering of Sailor Moon voice actors, but since then the guest list hasn't really interested me.

Nothing else about the convention seemed "worth it", IMO. If I wanted to blow all of my money on anime, I could find better ways to do it.

Last years guest list wasn't too bad actually. I attended the Q&A panel for Marina Inoue and that was enjoyable. As for this years guest list, Laura Bailey and Hiyama Nobuyuki has me interested.

Other than that, my only complaint about the convention is that it is being held in the East Wing of the Vancouver Convention Center. Due to the layout of the East Wing, it doesn't feel ideal for the type of convention Anirevo is, especially since the east wing is more or less a hallway with adjacent ballrooms.

Sora_N

Last years guest list wasn't too bad actually. I attended the Q&A panel for Marina Inoue and that was enjoyable. As for this years guest list, Laura Bailey and Hiyama Nobuyuki has me interested.

Other than that, my only complaint about the convention is that it is being held in the East Wing of the Vancouver Convention Center. Due to the layout of the East Wing, it doesn't feel ideal for the type of convention Anirevo is, especially since the east wing is more or less a hallway with adjacent ballrooms.

They had Marina Inoue? :( damn.

Top Bottom