• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Dazzler

Moving to Vancouver in 3-4 weeks. Very excited!

what neighborhoods you looking at living in?

You'll pay a lot to live downtown, so I'd recommend branching a little further out.

I live over in Kitsilano and absolutely love the area. Close to the beach, DT is easily accessible and all the local amenities you could possibly want

Tabris

Exactly. You think flakey selfish assholes have time for meet ups? This is the shitty coast of Canada tbh.

That's a bit harsh lol

Welcome to Vancouver TurtleSnatcher, I know we had that big debate thread about where to live in Vancouver - where did you end up? Hopefully followed my advice :)

what neighborhoods you looking at living in?

You'll pay a lot to live downtown, so I'd recommend branching a little further out.

I live over in Kitsilano and absolutely love the area. Close to the beach, DT is easily accessible and all the local amenities you could possibly want

In corp housing for a while but will have a relocator helping me find a place due to owning a dog and having issues finding places.

I'm aiming for Downtown honestly.

B-Dex

In corp housing for a while but will have a relocator helping me find a place due to owning a dog and having issues finding places.

RIP your paycheque. Unless you rent out your "tech nook" aka main hall closet for like 800 a month to some sap who just wants a twin mattress to sleep on. As well as partition off the living room area with a makeshift wall and door and rent that out too.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

craigslist
kijiji
padmapper

you're welcome.

Are you planning on living alone in a studio or with roommates/SO in an apartment? I'd advice against downtown for cost reasons, you'll save a lot of money by just moving 15 transit-minutes out, e.g. commercial-broadway/kits/main&broadway

Don't let all the people in here discourage you, it's not as bad as it sounds.Pretty bad and people are very upset&bitter about the situation, but it IS doable.

B-Dex

craigslist
kijiji
padmapper

you're welcome.

Are you planning on living alone in a studio or with roommates/SO in an apartment? I'd advice against downtown for cost reasons, you'll save a lot of money by just moving 15 transit-minutes out, e.g. commercial-broadway/kits/main&broadway

Don't let all the people in here discourage you, it's not as bad as it sounds.Pretty bad and people are very upset&bitter about the situation, but it IS doable.

I'm mostly upset that a hall closet is now a den tbh.

Dazzler

craigslist
kijiji
padmapper

you're welcome.

It's hard not to be when you earn the average industrial wage in BC yet are almost living paycheque to paycheque

Interesting story on Wreck Beach.

Essentially, the nudists who made the beach what it was is now becoming less frequent, approaching a 70-30 split towards clothed people. As one longtime user of the beach says, it's mainly the clothed people who are make rude, snide comments and general voyeurism towards nudists.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting story on Wreck Beach.

Essentially, the nudists who made the beach what it was is now becoming less frequent, approaching a 70-30 split towards clothed people. As one longtime user of the beach says, it's mainly the clothed people who are make rude, snide comments and general voyeurism towards nudists.
In the 1970s, beachgoers would get to the bottom of 400-odd wooden stairs on Trail 6 and immediately shed their clothes, said Watermelon. Not many do anymore.
Well, Vancouver has changed quite a bit ever since. People from many different backgrounds now inhabit the city, most of them waaaay more conservative than the locals IMO. So it all ain't very surprising.

Tabris

Downtown apartment rents are actually decent compared to the rest of the world (not USA). You could expect the same kind of cost in most major European cities. I think most of us just hear what it costs to rent apartments in Detroit or Dallas or some other shitty American city and think that's how it should be.

It's our detached home market that is so skewed. Combine that with lower incomes then cities like London, Tokyo, etc, and you'll understand why we're the most unaffordable city.

Cheerilee

Well, Vancouver has changed quite a bit ever since. People from many different backgrounds now inhabit the city, most of them waaaay more conservative than the locals IMO. So it all ain't very surprising.

I can't imagine anyone going to Wreck Beach just to keep their clothes on and be an asshole to the nudists, especially not someone who's conservative. I would expect the nudity to scare conservatives away harder than most people.

It's just a mind-boggling level of asshole. I would suspect it's some degree of entitlement. "This beach is near to me? I am physically allowed to be there? Then it is my beach, to use as I see fit, regardless of how other people have been using it."

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I can't imagine anyone going to Wreck Beach just to keep their clothes on and be an asshole to the nudists

This I don't defend, assholes GTFO. All I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised if people arrive to the city, visit the beach and never even asked themselves the question if it was a nudist or a regular beach.

Smiley90

I can totally see it. 20-something olds, clothed, "ewwwwww naked old people" -giggles- "check out those saggy boobs ewwwwwwwwwww"

way to ruin the entire idea of a nude beach

B-Dex

To be fair one time I went and this large older woman was trying to sell sandwiches out of a cooler strapped over her shoulder. That's all she was wearing.

I don't even wanna know what was in the food or where/how it was prepared. 😖

RIP your paycheque. Unless you rent out your "tech nook" aka main hall closet for like 800 a month to some sap who just wants a twin mattress to sleep on. As well as partition off the living room area with a makeshift wall and door and rent that out too.

It pays well so I'll be okay.

craigslist
kijiji
padmapper

you're welcome.

I plan on living alone but I've looked at prices and I will be okay. I'm not too worried. In fact, it will be cheaper or the same as my place where I currently live. $1800 USD here.

I have a locator/consultant helping me find a place while I am in temporary housing. Company is taking care of it due to my initial concern of finding a place because of my dog.

Smiley90

There was a post on Reddit a little while back about two dudes straight up filming women down on Wreck

Gross that nothing can be done about this

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/35jy7t/anyone_recognize_these_creepers_taking_covert/

gross.

I'd honestly be in favour of some kind of checkpoint where people would NEED to get undressed. If not at wreck beach, then you know, at least provide a place where people can feel save SOMEWHERE. Not that I've ever gone, but that'd make me stop going there really quickly. And it'd definitely cut down on the amount of clothed creepers filming/giggling at naked people. These people need to grow up, jeez

gross.

I'd honestly be in favour of some kind of checkpoint where people would NEED to get undressed. If not at wreck beach, then you know, at least provide a place where people can feel save SOMEWHERE. Not that I've ever gone, but that'd make me stop going there really quickly. And it'd definitely cut down on the amount of clothed creepers filming/giggling at naked people. These people need to grow up, jeez

Honestly, I doubt that will happen. Those would be the same kind of dumbasses who would shout "FREE SPEECH! MUH RIGHTS TO BE A CREEPER!" if they were told to undress at Wreck.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Does no one in this city know what a four way stop is? It was downright infuriating seeing drivers blow through broken traffic lights yesterday, not even bothering to look for traffic or pedestrians. I saw a bunch of pedestrians nearly run over and an old man wait nearly 5 minutes to make a turn onto Main while assholes just blew by him. I was out all day and night driving yesterday and with the exception of I think commercial and 12th (or some other intersection on 12th, can't remember exactly which one), absolutely no one was stopping.

Mind boggling.

Smiley90

Does no one in this city know what a four way stop is? It was downright infuriating seeing drivers blow through broken traffic lights yesterday, not even bothering to look for traffic or pedestrians. I saw a bunch of pedestrians nearly run over and an old man wait nearly 5 minutes to make a turn onto Main while assholes just blew by him. I was out all day and night driving yesterday and with the exception of I think commercial and 12th (or some other intersection on 12th, can't remember exactly which one), absolutely no one was stopping.

Mind boggling.

Noone in this city knows how to drive, period! :p

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

Mind boggling.
Opposite thing happened to me. Encountered a bunch of dead stoplights between Friday and Sunday and had no issues at all.

Cheerilee

Transit sure sucked today. Skytrain was screwed (down for repairs, expect 20 minutes delay), so I decided to take a bus instead. Had to wait an hour before one bus came by (normally 5-10 minutes). Then I saw the sign. "Sorry, bus is full."

Advertisements in the Sytrain station where I started my trip "Shut up. Translink is the best transit system in the world. What do you know?"

I passed by Skytrain again on my way home, and they had a lineup to allow people into the station. Someone in the line asked a safety-vest guy what was going on, and he said "Double the passengers, half the cars, we're quadruple-fucked today."

B-Dex

Transit sure sucked today. Skytrain was screwed (down for repairs, expect 20 minutes delay), so I decided to take a bus instead. Had to wait an hour before one bus came by (normally 5-10 minutes). Then I saw the sign. "Sorry, bus is full."

Advertisements in the Sytrain station where I started my trip "Shut up. Translink is the best transit system in the world. What do you know?"

I passed by Skytrain again on my way home, and they had a lineup to allow people into the station. Someone in the line asked a safety-vest guy what was going on, and he said "Double the passengers, half the cars, we're quadruple-fucked today."

Yup. Shit company. So mismanaged.

Got my place. It's awesome. The grocery stores are so small around here. (Or at least the one I went to)

Yaletown seems nice. Lots of places to eat and drink.

Smiley90

Got my place. It's awesome. The grocery stores are so small around here. (Or at least the one I went to)

Welcome! Yeah it's a very "hip" area with lots of small (and expensive) restaurants. Not really many "big" grocery stores there as land is super pricey. There's a Safeway on Denman&Robson if you wanna take the bus there, that's about all I can think of downtown (aside from IGA which costs more)

beat

Welcome! Yeah it's a very "hip" area with lots of small (and expensive) restaurants. Not really many "big" grocery stores there as land is super pricey. There's a Safeway on Denman&Robson if you wanna take the bus there, that's about all I can think of downtown (aside from IGA which costs more)
T&T in Chinatown and there's an IGA on Robson and Richards, and Urban Fare right in Yaletown. (I actually like T&T a lot.)

Also, could take the bus across the Cambie bridge; there's a Save-Ons at like 6th and Cambie. Maybe a Whole Foods at Broadway and Cambie too?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

On Mainland Street check Romer's Burgers on mainland (Rib Burger best burger) and Sushi Maro (Tuna Tataki roll, while expensive, is very tasty). Everything else is ridiculously overpriced and not worth your money.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm moving to Vancouver from downtown Toronto. 6 mth mat leave contract in Surrey Guidford (right beside mall).

Found a place in Brentwood 10 min from skytrain. Commute crazy?

Place bedroom furnished access to common areas 800 mth furnished including breakfast and dinner.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm moving to Vancouver from downtown Toronto. 6 mth mat leave contract in Surrey Guidford (right beside mall).

Place bedroom furnished access to common areas 800 mth furnished including breakfast and dinner.

By the way, use http://www.translink.ca to plan your route. Type in your home address and work address. Put in the time that you might try to get to work. See how that works out.

Firestorm

Gonna be a pretty annoying commute. You'll need to walk the ten minutes to the train, take it to Columbia, transfer to the other side, then take it to Surrey Central and take another bus.

If you can find something near Surrey Central or King George station, it's probably best. The area had an awful reputation and isn't still isn't the greatest but it's improved a lot in recent years and IMO the best bet transit-wise. You'll be one bus away from work and one train to get downtown Vancouver. That area is seeing a lot of development.

Top Bottom