• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

I need some serious help finding a place :(

I had a relocator take me out and find some places that accept pets but they all weren't that great. I want to stay around Yaletown but Craigslist brings up barely anything and they are all furnished. I really was hoping for unfurnished.

Is there anything better than Craigslist? Someone mentioned just walking around but they are all private sellers that just post things up on sites or other places that I can't seem to locate or know where they are posting these elusive ads. Feels like every other person owns a dog in the city but I'm struggling.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Anyone else find it stuffy on the Canada Line? I always feel sick after riding the thing, especially in the summer. There are all those signs that say they're air conditioned cars but I'm starting to wonder if they just mean the things are installed but never turned on because it never feels air conditioned to me. The summer was particularly brutal. =S

I only ever have to take it one stop on a regular day. So... no.

Firestorm

I need some serious help finding a place :(

I had a relocator take me out and find some places that accept pets but they all weren't that great. I want to stay around Yaletown but Craigslist brings up barely anything and they are all furnished. I really was hoping for unfurnished.

Is there anything better than Craigslist? Someone mentioned just walking around but they are all private sellers that just post things up on sites or other places that I can't seem to locate or know where they are posting these elusive ads. Feels like every other person owns a dog in the city but I'm struggling.

http://padmapper.com

Owning a dog and finding a place to rent is pretty hard. My co-worker was looking for a pretty long time =/

amchardy

Neo Member
Hello Vancouver GAF.

I've been offered a job in Vancouver. I'm currently living in Edinburgh, UK so it's a fairly big relocation for me to a city I've never even visited before!

They're flying me out for a few days next week to meet with the team. I've got the whole of Saturday to myself so I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do. I'd like to have a fairly chilled stroll around the city to try and get a feel for the city.

All tips/recommendations are welcome!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hello Vancouver GAF.

I've been offered a job in Vancouver. I'm currently living in Edinburgh, UK so it's a fairly big relocation for me to a city I've never even visited before!

They're flying me out for a few days next week to meet with the team. I've got the whole of Saturday to myself so I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do. I'd like to have a fairly chilled stroll around the city to try and get a feel for the city.

All tips/recommendations are welcome!

Walk along the north shore of downtown, there's a great walking path called the "Seawalk". Check out Robson street for stores, gastown and yaletown for lots of restaurants.

amchardy

Neo Member
Walk along the north shore of downtown, there's a great walking path called the "Seawalk". Check out Robson street for stores, gastown and yaletown for lots of restaurants.

Thanks, the office is located on Coal Harbour so those are the sorts of areas I'm keen to check out.

There also the areas I'm looking to rent an apartment, they're certainly not cheep around there though!

Smiley90

Thanks, the office is located on Coal Harbour so those are the sorts of areas I'm keen to check out.

There also the areas I'm looking to rent an apartment, they're certainly not cheep around there though!

Then you're right there!

Coal Harbor is amongst the most expensive neighborhoods not just in Vancouver, but also in Canada/North America... so if you wanna avoid that, look somewhere else. :p

So...

I think I may have found a place to live in Vancouver.

I toured a unit today and touring another unit in the same building tomorrow. The price difference is $200 a month between both units. The more expensive one is about 50-60 sq ft larger and on a higher floor. It also has a unit speaker system built into the walls with iPhone hookups, remote control shades and a cappuccino machine built into the kitchen.

It's not exactly the most ideal place as I was hoping for Yaletown but this is in Coal Harbour and right by the Canada Place line on Waterfront and Expo/Millenium Waterfront lines.

Tabris

You have good taste TurtleSnatcher :)

I have viewed most of the main modern condo buildings and their floor plans in Vancouver when I was looking where to buy. If you tell me what you are looking for specifically, I can recommend you buildings to look for.

The place I'm looking at is Jameson House. I'm not really foo foo but it's really quiet and super secure. It it sleek and has stupid things that are excessive but I also don't have a gym or pool which is kind of a bummer. But the pricing was either the same as Yaletown or slightly cheaper.

Also this floorplan is one of the ONLY floor plans that could accommodate a freaking king sized bed with head and foot boards that are fairly big.

Tabris

Jameson House is very nice. I especially love the flooring (white marble tile) Issue I had with them is their 1 bedroom floorplans don't have good views. You need their 2 bedroom views which cost over a million (closer to 1.5m side).

Tabris

Well I'm looking at 2 bedrooms but renting so not paying some stupid price.

Sorry, correction - I mean the front facing condos (the ones with semi circle patios) that face coal harbour directly. Those are the ones with a view. The other ones have a weird non-floor to ceiling windows.

Unless you plan to spend more then $3000-3500 a month, then you're balling hard ;)

If you care about a view, I can recommend much better places. You overpay a bit at Jameson for services like automated parking (it's neat though).

Sorry, correction - I mean the front facing condos (the ones with semi circle patios) that face coal harbour directly. Those are the ones with a view. The other ones have a weird non-floor to ceiling windows.

Unless you plan to spend more then $3000-3500 a month, then you're balling hard ;)

If you care about a view, I can recommend much better places. You overpay a bit at Jameson for services like automated parking (it's neat though).

I'm sure you can recommend a place but will the place fit a King Sized with giant head/foot boards? Will the place allow a 70lb boxer? Does the place even have an opening?

Probably not.

Yeah - Not paying $3k-$3.5k.

As noted -- i have my own furniture (hence the king sized bed requirement)

The unit is a bit too small especially for the price and I'm not a huge fan of that location and being screamed at by the drug guys in the evening. I know they are harmless but just something I kinda don't want near that area that I would walk through each and every night to get home.

Tabris

As noted -- i have my own furniture (hence the king sized bed requirement)

The unit is a bit too small especially for the price and I'm not a huge fan of that location and being screamed at by the drug guys in the evening. I know they are harmless but just something I kinda don't want near that area that I would walk through each and every night to get home.

Unless it says furnished, then it will be an empty apartment when you move in, as is the case with this. That loft has plenty of room for a king size bed.

The bolded is ridiculous though. Only once in a blue moon do you have someone on a bad trip in Gastown screaming at random people. Second, this place is only like 5 blocks away from Jameson House. You are confusing Gastown with DTES. Gastown is one of the trendiest neighbourhoods in the world.

Unless it says furnished, then it will be an empty apartment when you move in, as is the case with this. That loft has plenty of room for a king size bed.

The bolded is ridiculous though. Only once in a blue moon do you have someone on a bad trip in Gastown screaming at random people. Second, this place is only like 5 blocks away from Jameson House. You are confusing Gastown with DTES. Gastown is one of the trendiest neighbourhoods in the world.

That place is 9 blocks away and half of them are fairly long blocks. Just counted.

I understand your love for Gastown since you live there. I think it has it's charm. But I've walked there from work to grab a drink with a friend 3 separate times and each time I've walked by people screaming randomly and heckling people through the windows of places each and every time. (The heckling was only 2 out of 3 times).

It's the areas around Gastown such as parts of Pender/Abbott that I've experienced this on each instance. As soon as you get into Gastown with the trees kicking in and the street lights, it's perfect. My issue is that I have to walk through those parts each and every day and I rather not deal with that.

As for your note about furnished and those who specify on Craigslist or not... That's not entirely true. I've called 5 different places that specifically said that they were not furnished but listed it in the description. Each owner said that it would stay as furnished.

I've also struck out multiple times searching for any listings posted beyond 48 hrs due to the rental market in Vancouver and I keep striking out with places that don't specify pets. I ask anyways and they always say 'No sorry' or "No. 20lbs or less'

I have a 70lb Boxer. I'm not going to force that dog in a 625 sq ft unit with me and my furniture and expect him to be happy. I don't mind going to a bigger place for that. Views are great but I care about my dog and will sacrifice that. Not too mention $2500 for 625sq ft makes me cringe.

Tabris

It's the areas around Gastown such as parts of Pender/Abbott that I've experienced this on each instance. As soon as you get into Gastown with the trees kicking in and the street lights, it's perfect. My issue is that I have to walk through those parts each and every day and I rather not deal with that.

Pender & Abbott isn't Gastown. That's crosstown.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ga...2!3m1!1s0x54867177614ef47b:0xd1fea64d6d378461

It's a shame you're paranoid about some schizophrenic or drug-induced person. They usually aren't that bad to talk to, just sometimes a bit ungrateful and pushy in that specific neighbourhood, but rarely ever dangerous. Just be polite but have your wits about you and you'll be fine.

You'll experience that pretty much anywhere downtown once in a blue moon. I've lived in Coal Harbour (Terminal City Club Towers), Downtown Core (Infinity Building next to the now Nordstrom building), Crosstown (Spectrum), and Gastown (Woodwards). The experience has been relatively the same. You always have to deal with the homeless. You should get used to how to deal with them.

Pender & Abbott isn't Gastown. That's crosstown.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ga...2!3m1!1s0x54867177614ef47b:0xd1fea64d6d378461

It's a shame you're paranoid about some schizophrenic or drug-induced person. They usually aren't that bad to talk to, just sometimes a bit ungrateful and pushy in that specific neighbourhood, but rarely ever dangerous. Just be polite but have your wits about you and you'll be fine.

You'll experience that pretty much anywhere downtown once in a blue moon. I've lived in Coal Harbour (Terminal City Club Towers), Downtown Core (Infinity Building next to the now Nordstrom building), Crosstown (Spectrum), and Gastown (Woodwards). The experience has been relatively the same. You always have to deal with the homeless. You should get used to how to deal with them.

I've dealt with homeless. I lived in Downtown Dallas which has their fair square. I also travel to major cities a ton and dealt with their homless. The frequency of what I ran into on the path I have to walk from work to Gastown in each instance I've gone to Gastown is just something I don't want to deal with. And it's not really homeless, it's the drug infused ones. I just prefer to not live around there or have my dog in that area when I'm taking him out for walks and him freaking out with some guy screaming randomly as we walk by. I've also seen tons of homeless on Robson, Georgia, Granville, etc but they are also not screaming hysterically or anything. Just something I don't want to experience daily.

As for the 'Crosstown' remark. Yes - I'm aware that is Crosstown. Hence why I said...

"It's the areas around Gastown such as parts of Pender/Abbott that I've experienced this on each instance. As soon as you get into Gastown with the trees kicking in and the street lights, it's perfect."

I never said it was Gastown. I said it was the areas around it and I said Gastown is fine. The areas I have to walk through to get to Gastown from work each and every day if I lived there is not.

Tabris

I've dealt with homeless. I lived in Downtown Dallas which has their fair square. I also travel to major cities a ton and dealt with their homless. The frequency of what I ran into on the path I have to walk from work to Gastown in each instance I've gone to Gastown is just something I don't want to deal with. And it's not really homeless, it's the drug infused ones. I just prefer to not live around there or have my dog in that area when I'm taking him out for walks and him freaking out with some guy screaming randomly as we walk by. I've also seen tons of homeless on Robson, Georgia, Granville, etc but they are also not screaming hysterically or anything. Just something I don't want to experience daily.

Dealing with it leads to empathy for the situation though. So I definitely recommending opening your horizons a bit regarding it. But I live close to Pender & Abbott and I can tell you right now it's not a daily occurrence and it happens relatively same amount walking around night in those other parts of downtown. You may have had just bad luck, but either way, those people are usually having a schizophrenic episode and it's something to empathize with because unfortunately our government doesn't support them enough with mental institutions (we closed our main one).

I never said it was Gastown. I said it was the areas around it and I said Gastown is fine. The areas I have to walk through to get to Gastown from work each and every day if I lived there is not.

I don't understand the difference between walking to Jameson House and a place in middle of Gastown. If you're walking from a skytrain station - it's the same station, Waterfront. If you're walking from a place like Yaletown, you would walk through the more northwest streets either way.

Dealing with it leads to empathy for the situation though. So I definitely recommending opening your horizons a bit regarding it. But I live close to Pender & Abbott and I can tell you right now it's not a daily occurrence and it happens relatively same amount walking around night in those other parts of downtown. You may have had just bad luck, but either way, those people are usually having a schizophrenic episode and it's something to empathize with because unfortunately our government doesn't support them enough with mental institutions (we closed our main one).

I don't understand the difference between walking to Jameson House and a place in middle of Gastown. If you're walking from a skytrain station - it's the same station, Waterfront. If you're walking from a place like Yaletown, you would walk through the more northwest streets either way.

It is a sad sight. Wish more was done to it but me not wanting to walk by it daily or live by it doesn't mean I don't have empathy for it. That's scraping the barrel for an argument.

The reason why you don't understand the difference is because you are assuming I walk from work at Waterfront or Yaletown.

Tabris

The reason why you don't understand the difference is because you are assuming I walk from work at Waterfront or Yaletown.

But anywhere southeast which would require walking through cross-town to get to gas town, would also mean walking through that path to Coal Harbour the same?

Your statement doesn't make sense geographically to me.

But anywhere southeast which would require walking through cross-town to get to gas town, would also mean walking through that path to Coal Harbour the same?

Your statement doesn't make sense geographically.

I work off Beatty -- I'm not going to make a giant fucking U to walk through Gastown to purposely avoid Crosstown to live in the link you provided. Sorry. Deal.

Tabris

I work off Beatty -- I'm not going to make a giant fucking U to walk through Gastown to purposely avoid Crosstown to live in the link you provided. Sorry. Deal.

To walk to Jameson House from Beatty you would need to cross the Seymour area which is just as "bad" as walking through the Victory Square area.

Either direction you wouldn't walk through cross-town. One has you walking through downtown core and other has you walking through Victory Square area.

To walk to Jameson House from Beatty you would need to cross the Seymour area which is just as "bad" as walking through the Victory Square area.

Either direction you wouldn't walk through cross-town. One has you walking through downtown core and other has you walking through Victory Square area.

I'd take the train back to and from Jameson. And I've timed both stations.. Expo/Millenium Line to Chinatown Station and a walk to work takes longer than taking a train to Yaletown/Roundhouse and the walk to work.

If I lived in that link you provided and worked off Beatty, i'd walk through Crosstown daily (twice)

Smiley90

I'd take the train back to and from Jameson. And I've timed both stations.. Expo/Millenium Line to Chinatown Station and a walk to work takes longer than taking a train to Yaletown/Roundhouse and the walk to work.

If I lived in that link you provided and worked off Beatty, i'd walk through Crosstown daily (twice)

If I were you I'd walk, the train can get pretty packed in the morning, especially if you wanna get on so close to where most people are getting off. enjoy the fresh air! :D

Tabris

That makes no sense as the Waterfront station is 5 blocks away from the link I provided. Same kind of distance as to Stadium station.

EDIT - Edited as I thought the place I provided was on Water St instead of Cordova, but close enough.

Smiley90

I probably will on non rainy days :)

and really, "crosstown" isn't bad. victory square isn't bad. gastown isn't bad. as long as you're not working in chinatown/DTES and have to walk through the DTES you're fine. Anything west of Columbia or if you're really picky Carrall is perfectly fine.

and that's what umbrellas are for! :p

Tabris

All arguments aside on geography and best walking routes, I really don't understand wanting to avoid homeless people. If you don't want to interact, just listen to music on your headphones or just don't make eye contact.

Firestorm

Yeah not worth dealing with transit to get around anywhere downtown. Sometimes I'll grab a bus if I wanna go from work to eat somewhere on Davie but that's about it. I still walk that most of the time if it's not raining.

I work on Hastings & Cambie so I cut through Victory Square (god I wrote that out as Victory Road) every day and I've never really been heckled. Can see it being a little riskier with a dog and I definitely wouldn't wanna live around there.

That makes no sense as the Waterfront station is 5 blocks away from the link I provided. Same kind of distance as to Stadium station.

EDIT - Edited as I thought the place I provided was on Water St instead of Cordova, but close enough.

Not really close enough..

As I said, it's actually faster for me to take Canada Line and walk to work then it is for me to take Millenium/Expo due to the loop it takes according to Google. Either way here are times for you.

Cordova to Waterfront Millennium/Expo walking
ufs7PN3.png

Jameson to Waterfront Canada Line walking
zFhhzPO.png

Jameson to Waterfront Millennium/Expo walking
A3br9n6.png

Yeah not worth dealing with transit to get around anywhere downtown. Sometimes I'll grab a bus if I wanna go from work to eat somewhere on Davie but that's about it. I still walk that most of the time if it's not raining.

I work on Hastings & Cambie so I cut through Victory Square (god I wrote that out as Victory Road) every day and I've never really been heckled. Can see it being a little riskier with a dog and I definitely wouldn't wanna live around there.

Yeah -- Dog is a pretty big factor. My dog hates freaking loud pick up trucks driving by and gets spooked. I can't imagine a guy shrieking at him or me haha. I'm sure it will happen one day but if I can keep the frequency down, i'm okay with that.

Tabris

As I said, it's actually faster for me to take Canada Line and walk to work then it is for me to take Millenium/Expo due to the loop it takes according to Google. Either way here are times for you.

Yeah but the point you were making is you would use Millennium/Expo if you lived in Gastown which would require to walk through cross-town. I'm saying that doesn't make sense as the distance to Waterfront vs Stadium Station is relatively the same from that gas town address.

Yeah but the point you were making is you would use Millennium/Expo if you lived in Gastown which would require to walk through cross-town. I'm saying that doesn't make sense as the distance to Waterfront vs Stadium Station is relatively the same from that gas town address.

No... the point I was making (as I said I worked off Beatty so it makes no sense to use the line if I lived in Gastown to walk home) was that I would have to walk through Crosstown every day twice if I lived in Gastown or the link you provided and worked where I work now.

Tabris

No... the point I was making (as I said I worked off Beatty so it makes no sense to use the line if I lived in Gastown to walk home) was that I would have to walk through Crosstown every day twice if I lived in Gastown or the link you provided and worked where I work now.

OK, I think I got it now - so your work is far enough from your office at Beatty that you would take the skytrain but a place in Gastown is close enough to walk to, but you don't want to walk through that area because it's undesirable?

EDIT - I guess that's fair, but I really don't think the area you're walking through is that bad. Also surprising from someone coming from Dallas where everywhere was undesirable ;)

Tabris

I remember I went to Tuc one night and was scared the whole time cuz I parked a block away. Shoulda just parked by harbourfront and walked

That's some of the safest places to be around as there's people there at every hour. I bet you have a better chance at getting jacked at 3pm in Surrey then 3am in Crosstown.

Firestorm

Is W Hastings and Abbott st. A nice area? I may have an opportunity to switch offices from Surrey.
I work around here and the answer is no. Guildford is definitely nicer. Your commute will be 100% train-based though with no buses. You just get off at Stadium and walk two blocks. Decent food options everywhere and that area is slowly becoming gentrified. It's just still not what I'd call "nice."

I'd personally prefer to work here than in Guildford just because if I'm going to do something after work it's going to be in Vancouver, not Surrey so this is way more convenient. I like being situated in Vancouver. However, I live in Vancouver and start later than most so I don't have to deal with rush hour transit to/from Vancouver.

Tabris

I work around here and the answer is no. Guildford is definitely nicer. Your commute will be 100% train-based though with no buses. You just get off at Stadium and walk two blocks. Decent food options everywhere and that area is slowly becoming gentrified. It's just still not what I'd call "nice."

W Hastings and Abbott is nice. That's essentially where I live (a street away). Everything east of Abbott isn't nice but that woodwards block is nice and Gastown is right there.

There's also amazing food options everywhere.

Top Bottom