• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Liberty4all

Banned
About once every 3 months the skytrain breaks down during rush hour and people have 1-2 hour wait times happen for temporary busses. How does that compare to Toronto?

The subway is reliable except during winter time when it might have weather delays several times a month between Dec - Feb.. Winter storms above 15 cm during rush hour ruin everyone's day, both car commuters and transit goers alike. And when the subway DOES break down it is CHAOS ... You are literally fucked. Buses and streetcars swarmed, hours (like 3+) long commute home if you live in the suburbs .... Subway breaking down is bad but God help you if you rely on the GO regional trains (like your west coast express train) and they go down in a storm. Might as well book a hotel room in the city at that point.

That's why I moved into the core of Toronto so I didn't have to deal with those sort of nightmares after years of hell commutes from the suburbs. For years I walked to work until recently when I had to start reverse commuting out of the core.

Firestorm

I think one of the biggest differences for me is cell service and the ability to talk or use the Internet on my commute. Back home there's no signal in the subway which means long boring commutes whether it's busy or not.
lol I remember the first time I needed to take the subway in Toronto and realized I couldn't reach my friend I was meeting up with. I felt so cut off from the world...

beat

Goldies is so much better than Uncle Fathi's no contest, I really like the place across the street from Goldie's (on the North East corner of Seymour and Pender) Don't know the name "2 for 1 Pizza" ?? or something?? Not to be mistaken with the crappy Pizza place right next to (East of) it.
Huh. I used to swear by Uncle Fatih's, esp the potato pizza.

Also, Fuck downtown for cheap food, downtown is the worst for affordable good food, the only thing you gonna eat under 12-10 bucks in downtown (outside of pizza slices) is indeed fast food, in the form of McDonalds , A & W and Burger king.
Sushi Zero One was my favorite place for lunchtime sushi in downtown Vancouver years ago. I looked it up; they've changed their name to Kyzock now but the Yelp reviews still seem decent enough.

Cheerilee

Also is it a Vancouver thing that people shout thanks to the bus driver from the back door? The first few times I didn't think anything of it but it's like a super regular thing. I though it kind of cute.
Yeah, people do it all the time. I think it's because the back doors sometimes don't open when you "touch the doors" (and they don't explain what the mechanism is, like is it static electricity? Are the doors pressure sensitive? Does beating on the door help?), which can cause the driver to start pulling away from the stop before anyone has had a chance to get off, which sometimes prompts the shout of "Backdoor!" I think people are just used to it, that every time there isn't a problem with the back door, the driver deserves a "Thank you."

Also, drivers deserve a "thank you" in general because some assholes have been taking their frustrations out on the drivers (sometimes it's verbal abuse, and occasionally it has made the news with beatings), and that's never cool. The drivers are generally nice people and they do a good job, and they deserve all the support they can get.

Other things I've noticed ... It's true Toronto may have extreme heat and cold over the seasons but at least the temperature is constant day and night be it blazing hot or bitterly cold. Here in Vancouver on the other hand I'm like freezing in the morning then oh fuck it's hot in the afternoon. I wondered why everyone layers here, now I get it lol.
The drastic day/night temperatures only really happen around Spring and Fall, and only when the sky is clear. When the clouds roll in (our default weather pattern) we don't build up much daytime heat, and the clouds actually insulate against the nighttime cold. Maybe the clouds bring rain, maybe they don't, but they usually bring warmth and mildness. It can get weird when the clouds blow in or out before evening, which can cause abnormally cold days or warm nights. This sort of hot/cold day like we're having right now is just our reminder that Summer is over, and now we're running on borrowed sunshine. Enjoy it while it lasts!

And yes, layers are great. I've got a hooded sweatshirt and a nice fashionable thin jacket, and both have their own uses during Spring/Fall, but if you wear them both at the same time (which is still stylish), it can shrug off most of the worst cold that Vancouver can throw at you. The sweatshirt hood is useless against rain, but you need an umbrella and good shoes/boots to deal with the rain.

Thank you for giving these people, especially people from Surrey, perspective. Everyone here whines about Translink (our transit company) thinking that everything is so bad, not realizing how good our transit system is. Both in efficiency, cost, and punctuallity.

You weren't here recently, but there was a plebiscite asking voters whether they would be willing to give 0.5% sales tax increase for transit projects like a light rail in Surrey and a new skytrain line down broadway. It lost due to voters thinking our current transit system is bad.

I would love to hear from the people who voted No respond to your perspective of our transit.
I used to ride Transit heavily in the late 80's/early 90's, and this summer I decided to ride Transit much more often (due to the loss of the car my work provided), and I think the quality of Transit has gone sharply downhill. The Skytrain has been extended to go more places (oh hey, did you guys hear, next month they're taking down the "zone" system. One-zone fare to go anywhere on Transit, except the Seabus), but even the Skytrain ain't what it used to be. As a result, I was literally out used-car shopping earlier today.

Translink has become entrenched in the system (it's a corporation with it's own police force, access to taxes, and almost no accountability), and they have access to more money than they ever did, with ever-new arms reaching into ever-new cookie jars, but they still don't have enough money (they never will). They've grown to serve more people, and that growth should have provided the money for it's own expansion, but somehow they're broke and yet they claim that they could serve the Transit needs of the entire city, if only everyone would agree to give up on cars.

Even before the referendum, I heard a bus driver saying that Translink is due to implode, because the backbone of it's fleet is a bunch of 1980's busses that are 20 years older than anything driving on the roads today (nevermind the kind of mileage those busses rack up, with many of them running all day and night), and they're being held together with duct tape and rubber bands. Even Skytrain has been failing lately because the Expo Line has been running since 1986.

Translink won't be fixed by a new tax that goes part of the way towards fulfilling Gregor Robertson's election promise to install Skytrain along the Broadway corridor. Translink needs to fundamentally re-examine everything about the way they do business (they won't, they're doing a wonderful job, their own internal studies said so), in addition to the fact that they need to hire some new PR people so that they stop looking like cartoon supervillains.

beat

Even before the referendum, I heard a bus driver saying that Translink is due to implode, because the backbone of it's fleet is a bunch of 1980's busses that are 20 years older than anything driving on the roads today (nevermind the kind of mileage those busses rack up, with many of them running all day and night), and they're being held together with duct tape and rubber bands. Even Skytrain has been failing lately because the Expo Line has been running since 1986.
When I last lived in Vancouver (2008-2011), I commuted daily by bus and Skytrain. The low-floor buses are largely from 2006, and as for Skytrain, I think they've been slowly phasing out the Mark I cars.

So I'm on week 4 of my time in Vancouver.

Here are my notes

I really like the Downtown area. It's so lively and it feels like it has everything. There are a few things I wish it did have but it's a quick transit hop across the bridge and you have it.

I'm going out with a relocator on Monday to find a place. I think I'm pretty dead set on Yaletown as my preferred place. Ive been staying here at corporate housing and it's walking distance from work and it's has quick access to Canada Line and plenty of food nearby.

The city is so gorgeous. This weekend was unreal for weather and I got to walk around in Coal Harbour by the Waterfront station. I also did get to see Gastown for the first time and it is gorgeous at night but the areas around are for sure a bit sketchy.

I went to my first Whitecaps and Canucks game. I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan and it was great to experience a Canadian game. I will say that Dallas has a FAR better presentation at the arena than the Canucks but the Canucks fans don't care as they are there for hockey and they don't need to flash like Dallas fans need. Whitecaps fans are great. Reminds me of FC Dallas but a tad more loud.

Transit is so good in the city. Skytrain is great despite me getting Expo/Millenium lines confused with Canada Lines at the Waterfront station :p Thankfully I caught myself and got off at Granville and just crossed the street back onto Canada Line.

Pot dispensaries are so odd to me. The lack of churches is also odd to me (i'm from Texas where one is on every other block). I do find there are a lot of smokers in Vancouver but that may just be me and maybe it is just Downtown. In Dallas everyone has switched to vapes so cigarettes are more rare there.

The thing I currently hate the most about Vancouver or I guess just Canada in general... things are more expensive here :p. I keep converting everything to USD and I'm like "Oh that's not so bad" but I don't get paid in USD so I need to get that mentality out of my head.

The other thing I hate is the Canadian banking system. I signed up for TD Canada and got a Visa Debit Card but apparently the Debit Card can't be used as credit anywhere? What the hell? In the US, my Debit Card can be used as credit anywhere (even overseas) and it just works. Visa Check Cards is what we call them but here that apparently doesn't work?

Also getting money from Canada to the US is so ridiculously complicating. TD Canada offers US Bill Pay but they send checks so you need to factor in 5 business days and processing time into your bill pays. They also don't have every credit card company in their database. So my other options are wire transfer which is like $25 each time I want to transfer and I have to go to a branch to do it. I could also try a Visa Direct transfer but NOPE that only works to TD Bank cards in the US and no other bank. US dollar account won't help me here either...

The last option is to open a free TD Bank US account and have it linked with my TD Canada account and transfer between both since it is free. So I'm having to do that now which is so incredibly stupid. Ugh - What a freaking pain

Either way, loving the city. Just need more friends :X

Sora_N

Hmm the visa debit can be used online as a credit card.

I went to Seattle with my ex earlier this year and used my visa debit at Target and it also worked.

TheKyle07

I got a phone call this morning from Telus' promotional department offering a deal to switch my services from Shaw to their Telus fiber optic cables. Much lower price ($50 less for 12 months, and still $10 less thereafter, plus $200 credit for switching), better services (more TV channels, more GB for internet), free PVR. This all seemed very good to me, but is it too good to be true? What is the catch here? They offered to handle the cancellation with Shaw themselves, asking for my account number so they could take care of it. Is that normal? I told him it sounded good but I will take some time to think about it. He is calling me back on Monday.

So, what is your guys' experience with Shaw vs. Telus in Vancouver? Thanks!

Did Telus call you out of nowhere? Smells fishy to me.

Anyway, what you should do is call Shaw and tell them what Telus is offering you to switch. They'll likely match it or at worst, give you some sort of deal on your current plan.

TheKyle07

Yes they did call me but I checked the number and it seems to be a legit Telus number: 604-310-2255.

And yeah, I'm definitely planning to give Shaw a call first before I make any decisions.

Firestorm

I got a phone call this morning from Telus' promotional department offering a deal to switch my services from Shaw to their Telus fiber optic cables. Much lower price ($50 less for 12 months, and still $10 less thereafter, plus $200 credit for switching), better services (more TV channels, more GB for internet), free PVR. This all seemed very good to me, but is it too good to be true? What is the catch here? They offered to handle the cancellation with Shaw themselves, asking for my account number so they could take care of it. Is that normal? I told him it sounded good but I will take some time to think about it. He is calling me back on Monday.

So, what is your guys' experience with Shaw vs. Telus in Vancouver? Thanks!
That sounds like the type of thing I would offer when doing door-to-door for them. Make sure it's on a 12 month contract and not 36 month contract. The account number to cancel is so they can cancel with Shaw on your behalf and keep Shaw Retention from convincing you to stay. The $200 credit is to cover any early cancellation charges Shaw might hit you with for not giving 30 day notice.

Tabris

I used to ride Transit heavily in the late 80's/early 90's, and this summer I decided to ride Transit much more often (due to the loss of the car my work provided), and I think the quality of Transit has gone sharply downhill. The Skytrain has been extended to go more places (oh hey, did you guys hear, next month they're taking down the "zone" system. One-zone fare to go anywhere on Transit, except the Seabus), but even the Skytrain ain't what it used to be. As a result, I was literally out used-car shopping earlier today.

Translink has become entrenched in the system (it's a corporation with it's own police force, access to taxes, and almost no accountability), and they have access to more money than they ever did, with ever-new arms reaching into ever-new cookie jars, but they still don't have enough money (they never will). They've grown to serve more people, and that growth should have provided the money for it's own expansion, but somehow they're broke and yet they claim that they could serve the Transit needs of the entire city, if only everyone would agree to give up on cars.

Translink won't be fixed by a new tax that goes part of the way towards fulfilling Gregor Robertson's election promise to install Skytrain along the Broadway corridor. Translink needs to fundamentally re-examine everything about the way they do business (they won't, they're doing a wonderful job, their own internal studies said so), in addition to the fact that they need to hire some new PR people so that they stop looking like cartoon supervillains.

so tl;dr you used to ride the transit system when it was brand new and not overflowing due to the huge population growth that Vancouver has experienced in the last decade (which has far exceeded the funding provided by provincial, municipality, and federal) - and because it's not as good, and a lot of their equipment has aged from when you first started riding the system - you want to not fund Translink with the money they need to update? Where is the logic there?

And you didn't respond to the actual question - You have multiple people from other metropolitans (Toronto and Dallas on this page) mention how superior our transit system is to what they experience, yet you and others with your same viewpoint think it's inferior to those systems. What do you expect to have in a city with our population growth and current funding levels?

A lot of Vancouverites suffer from the grass is greener and living a privileged life and need a reality check to start appreciating what they have.

EDIT - To be fair - the time I've spent traveling for business around the US and Canada has shown me how good Vancouverites have it. I didn't appreciate it as much until I did.

I mean its common back home to say thanks when going out the front door. I'm just not used to people yelling from the back. Its nice actually.

Yeah, haha it's a common gesture here to thank the driver while exiting, no matter which doors of the bus. and no matter how many people before you already thanked them, you shoudl also do your part and thank them.

Also unlike TO , the driver's wont give you a hassle if you have a good reason to exit through the front doors while staying behind the yellow line before the doors open. I remember years ago ( when I use to take the streetcars and buses in TO) drivers had a fit on people exiting through the front doors)

Drivers here are really nice, granted you are not an asshole yourself, countless times if I needed to take the bus for like three blocks down the road, I would only throw a toonie in, and ask if that was ok? since I am getting off in the next two stops... they are often very nice and don't mind it. Although I don't want to promote this kinda frugal behavior.

Edit: it is also worth to note the part of town you take the bus, if you take it out in the quiet(er) suburbs of South Van (Marine Drive/ 20 Victoria) or Burnaby, the drivers are more patient, but if you take it in Downtown, near Gastown say, or East side, yeah, they will be a lil more impatient and intolerant with your stingy behavior. All depends on the bus line.

Did Telus call you out of nowhere? Smells fishy to me.

Anyway, what you should do is call Shaw and tell them what Telus is offering you to switch. They'll likely match it or at worst, give you some sort of deal on your current plan.

Yes they did call me but I checked the number and it seems to be a legit Telus number: 604-310-2255.

And yeah, I'm definitely planning to give Shaw a call first before I make any decisions.

Speaking of Internets, I am still holding off on getting it at my new place since my Rogers data plan on my mobile has an old grandfathered (6 gigs data) ...

Is there a really cheap one I can get? Don't want to pay more than $35 a month, is the Novus any good?

Firestorm

Speaking of Internets, I am still holding off on getting it at my new place since my Rogers data plan on my mobile has an old grandfathered (6 gigs data) ...

Is there a really cheap one I can get? Don't want to pay more than $35 a month, is the Novus any good?
If Novus is available, go Novus. Their cheapest plan is equivalent to one of Telus' more expensive plans. It's $40 though as $35 is only if you bundle with TV.

The $40 plan is more than enough to not ever touch your tethering data.

Sora_N

Anyone using compass?

Decided to pick one up early even though they still sell paper monthly passes.

So lame how I had to go all the way to waterfront to buy it though.

Tabris

Is COMPAS fully implemented now? How easy is it to get a card, register it, and fill it up?

I don't use transit enough since I walk everywhere to have looked into it yet. But I loved Tokyo's transit card system. It was just so easy and convenient. Tap in, tap out. Reload whenever you want with whatever amount. No monthly pass garbage, no wasted money if you aren't transiting.

Sora_N

Is COMPAS fully implemented now? How easy is it to get a card, register it, and fill it up?

I don't use transit enough since I walk everywhere to have looked into it yet. But I loved Tokyo's transit card system. It was just so easy and convenient. Tap in, tap out. Reload whenever you want with whatever amount. No monthly pass garbage, no wasted money if you aren't transiting.

You can buy at stadium m-f 8-4 or at the west coast express.

You can refill at machines or online.

I think the other stations will have machines by Oct 17th.

I'll fill my card with a month pass when I'm home. From what I see it's easy lol.

I actually had to tweet them to find out that I could buy from WCE since I can't make it to stadium on my workdays.

I tweet the TransLink people once in a while since 2013. Very nice and helpful. :)

TheKyle07

That sounds like the type of thing I would offer when doing door-to-door for them. Make sure it's on a 12 month contract and not 36 month contract. The account number to cancel is so they can cancel with Shaw on your behalf and keep Shaw Retention from convincing you to stay. The $200 credit is to cover any early cancellation charges Shaw might hit you with for not giving 30 day notice.

Good advice, thanks! I will make sure about that.

Cheerilee

so tl;dr you used to ride the transit system when it was brand new and not overflowing due to the huge population growth that Vancouver has experienced in the last decade (which has far exceeded the funding provided by provincial, municipality, and federal) - and because it's not as good, and a lot of their equipment has aged from when you first started riding the system - you want to not fund Translink with the money they need to update? Where is the logic there?

And you didn't respond to the actual question - You have multiple people from other metropolitans (Toronto and Dallas on this page) mention how superior our transit system is to what they experience, yet you and others with your same viewpoint think it's inferior to those systems. What do you expect to have in a city with our population growth and current funding levels?

A lot of Vancouverites suffer from the grass is greener and living a privileged life and need a reality check to start appreciating what they have.

EDIT - To be fair - the time I've spent traveling for business around the US and Canada has shown me how good Vancouverites have it. I didn't appreciate it as much until I did.
Before you even asked your question I had commented that I feel like I'm spoiled living in Vancouver, and that I doubt I could survive elsewhere (I hear Syria is pretty nice this time of year, maybe I should go for a visit).

I assumed you were fishing for some crow-eating over the referendum, so I clarified my stance, which hasn't changed (even though I've given Translink a significantly higher chance since the referendum).

I remember when the bus fare was $0.75, and our Transit system was the envy of the world, and they claimed that was supposed to be sustainable. Since then, inflation says the fares (which are directly tied to ridership) should have doubled, but instead they quadrupled. Translink also has their hooks in property taxes and gas taxes (much of which they didn't have before). How has the real estate market in Vancouver changed since 1986? How have gas prices? Translink's money has grown as fast as the city has, if not faster.

I remember one of the later BC Transit CEOs appearing on the news and telling people that he doesn't take Transit, because unlike the rest of us his job is actually important.

I remember their hot-shot new CEO coming in and changing BC Transit's name to Translink, and his first act of business was to have the entire aging bus fleet repainted to reflect the new colors he had picked out.

I remember when Translink tore out all the wooden bus shelters made from BC lumber which kept people warm and dry, and replaced them with overpriced glass-and-aluminum (probably leftover from the Fast Ferry project) that was cold and uncomfortable and did nothing to block the rain but they look nice and really modern, because Translink had too much money and they had to spend it on something.

I remember when Skytrain was first proposed, the NDP opposed it because they thought it was too expensive. We were assured that Skytrain would pay for itself. Now that line is dying, and Vancouverites are expected to open their wallets again to pay for it's replacement.

I remember when Gregor Robertson threw out the Broadway Corridor Skytrain as a re-election promise, one of his opponents asked "Where on Earth are you going to find the money to pay for such an election promise?" and Gregor responded with "That's why I'm the Mayor and you're just some Hopeful."

You describe the PST increase as "the money Translink needs" but studies showed that the PST increase wouldn't even begin to pay for the plans that Vancouver and Surrey already made for spending it. Translink doesn't have an income problem, they have a spending problem. If more money won't even solve their money problems, then they need to go back to basics and re-assess their entire existence.

But you're right. They're much better than the Assad Regime.

beat

I remember when Translink tore out all the wooden bus shelters made from BC lumber which kept people warm and dry, and replaced them with overpriced glass-and-aluminum (probably leftover from the Fast Ferry project) that was cold and uncomfortable and did nothing to block the rain but they look nice and really modern, because Translink had too much money and they had to spend it on something.
1) Those wooden shelters never kept me any warmer or drier than the new ones do, and

2) I thought JCDecaux paid for the new shelters.

I remember their hot-shot new CEO coming in and changing BC Transit's name to Translink
BC Transit still exists. But its responsibilities in Greater Vancouver - public transit - were handed off to Translink. Translink also handles public roads, which BC Transit did not.

Tabris

But once again, it's about perspective. I'm going to focus on one thing at first.

I remember when the bus fare was $0.75, and our Transit system was the envy of the world, and they claimed that was supposed to be sustainable. Since then, inflation says the fares (which are directly tied to ridership) should have doubled, but instead they quadrupled. Translink also has their hooks in property taxes and gas taxes (much of which they didn't have before). How has the real estate market in Vancouver changed since 1986? How have gas prices? Translink's money has grown as fast as the city has, if not faster.

Vancouver in 1986 was a decent middle of the road North American city. Nowhere close to a world class city, but they made smart decisions around not including a downtown highway and building a skytrain in urban development early on in it's life. Anyone doing any kind of infrastructure and urban planning in 1986 Vancouver wouldn't have expected it to turn into the current city it has. Vancouver has upgraded to a world class city. It has been built using Asian urban planning methodologies and it's population has inflated significantly over the years, way ahead of anything expected, fuelled by Chinese money sheltering and laundering.

TransLink has been used, and was initially created (or more powers / scope increased), as a political scapegoat for a long time. You have been made to focus on TransLink for the municipality, provincial, and federal funding failures that have occurred instead of the government bodies they are based on. Each time you are bitching about some TransLink CEO salary or comment or fare increase, you are bitching towards the wrong people.

You are expecting public accountability that an elected body has upon a public company with a board of directors. No one there is elected by the public, and the only mandate they have is via the provincial act. They are a public authority via the act, but they are also a business, and sometimes businesses have waste caused by bad business decisions. That's a reality of business. You blaming TransLink does nothing to this, as you have no power there - your power is with your vote with your provincial government and your expectation should be on the provincial government to reform TransLink. But they won't do that because it would be a lot of work and be political suicide, so it's easier for them to have you continue blaming a public authority business on waste then focus on them. You are blinded by a political scapegoat that's existed for a while.

Now ignoring the politics of it, which you seemed consumed by, so I wanted to focus on it for a bit.

Have you ridden transit systems around the world? Have you looked at the cost of their fares and how much they have to pay in taxes towards that transit infrastructure? Have you seen how slow they can be and how much hassle it is getting around a lot of cities?

You are just now catching up to the reality of what world class city infrastructure costs. We were lucky having a transit system like we did, as a city that we were, and that transit system is partially what allowed us to become the world class city we are now. Now the reality is sinking in that to maintain infrastructure as a world class city with our population boom, we have to pay for it and it's expensive.

You need perspective as it's very narrow right now and a much higher expectation due to that narrow perspective. Travel the world a bit and then come back to Vancouver :)

Dazzler

I buy the monthly one-zone transit passes each month. I'm open to switching over to Compass (save the paper at least) - will it end up costing me more? Or will my spend (91 bucks) stay the same?

I buy the monthly one-zone transit passes each month. I'm open to switching over to Compass (save the paper at least) - will it end up costing me more? Or will my spend (91 bucks) stay the same?

Not sure. It's $2.10 per sky train trip. I guess it can add up, but they're planning to release monthly compass passes that auto-reload each month. I'll wait to see how much it costs because I like my $91 pass.

B-Dex

But once again, it's about perspective. I'm going to focus on one thing at first.

Vancouver in 1986 was a decent middle of the road North American city. Nowhere close to a world class city, but they made smart decisions around not including a downtown highway and building a skytrain in urban development early on in it's life. Anyone doing any kind of infrastructure and urban planning in 1986 Vancouver wouldn't have expected it to turn into the current city it has. Vancouver has upgraded to a world class city. It has been built using Asian urban planning methodologies and it's population has inflated significantly over the years, way ahead of anything expected, fuelled by Chinese money sheltering and laundering.

TransLink has been used, and was initially created (or more powers / scope increased), as a political scapegoat for a long time. You have been made to focus on TransLink for the municipality, provincial, and federal funding failures that have occurred instead of the government bodies they are based on. Each time you are bitching about some TransLink CEO salary or comment or fare increase, you are bitching towards the wrong people.

You are expecting public accountability that an elected body has upon a public company with a board of directors. No one there is elected by the public, and the only mandate they have is via the provincial act. They are a public authority via the act, but they are also a business, and sometimes businesses have waste caused by bad business decisions. That's a reality of business. You blaming TransLink does nothing to this, as you have no power there - your power is with your vote with your provincial government and your expectation should be on the provincial government to reform TransLink. But they won't do that because it would be a lot of work and be political suicide, so it's easier for them to have you continue blaming a public authority business on waste then focus on them. You are blinded by a political scapegoat that's existed for a while.

Now ignoring the politics of it, which you seemed consumed by, so I wanted to focus on it for a bit.

Have you ridden transit systems around the world? Have you looked at the cost of their fares and how much they have to pay in taxes towards that transit infrastructure? Have you seen how slow they can be and how much hassle it is getting around a lot of cities?

You are just now catching up to the reality of what world class city infrastructure costs. We were lucky having a transit system like we did, as a city that we were, and that transit system is partially what allowed us to become the world class city we are now. Now the reality is sinking in that to maintain infrastructure as a world class city with our population boom, we have to pay for it and it's expensive.

You need perspective as it's very narrow right now and a much higher expectation due to that narrow perspective. Travel the world a bit and then come back to Vancouver :)

All this from someone who won't leave a 5 min walk radius of their condo.

Bye.

Thanks so much for the good lucks and such, everybody <3 I think it went smoothly, so I'm relieved :')!

And we won! woo!
You really want to let NHL GAFers know who you are ? Prepare yourself !

I... I didn't think about this... :( ;____;

I think it went pretty smoothly though...? X_X

We have another meetup Nov. 14th :p

Really? :eek:

Was he at that one single Vancouver GAF meet up at the pub ? LOL... if so, I've met him too then ;)

Yes sir I was there :) It was fun <3

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
All this from someone who won't leave a 5 min walk radius of their condo.

Bye.

nPPIr.gif

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone go to the Raptors vs Clippers pre season game today? That was dope. One reason I would move to Toronto would be to watch NBA basketball regularly. Bring the Grizzlies back! ;_;

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Anyone else find it stuffy on the Canada Line? I always feel sick after riding the thing, especially in the summer. There are all those signs that say they're air conditioned cars but I'm starting to wonder if they just mean the things are installed but never turned on because it never feels air conditioned to me. The summer was particularly brutal. =S

Spent about 2 days in Vancouver this weekend. Lovely city. Definitely gonna plan a longer visit next year and check out more food and nightlife.

Went to Capilano and it was ridiculously packed. Its gotta be nice to have that in your backyard though.

Sora_N

Anyone else find it stuffy on the Canada Line? I always feel sick after riding the thing, especially in the summer. There are all those signs that say they're air conditioned cars but I'm starting to wonder if they just mean the things are installed but never turned on because it never feels air conditioned to me. The summer was particularly brutal. =S

Summer was ok, it's only stuffy when it's packed to me. I didn't feel particularly bad except for sometimes when it's extremely packed like sardines.

Spent about 2 days in Vancouver this weekend. Lovely city. Definitely gonna plan a longer visit next year and check out more food and nightlife.

Went to Capilano and it was ridiculously packed. Its gotta be nice to have that in your backyard though.

Yeah, was a pretty nice weekend actually. Warm but not too warm and not too cold.

Top Bottom