• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Just got into Vancouver a couple of hours ago. Went from 26 in Toronto to 14 here ... A little sad, Toronto is enjoying an Indian summer which will likely last a few more weeks. With that said I'll be laughing come wintertime I'm sure.

The air quality at the Vancouver airport is better than my family retreat up in Ontario cottage country haha. I'm exaggerating a bit but not by much. It's crazy how much better the air quality is here.

Welcome! I'm pretty new here as well (2 weeks as of today) but I'm loving the city. It's a great place (minus the rain ;P)

Liberty4all

Banned
Thanks!

Well I've been here for 1 week as of tomorrow. Currently commuting from Brentwood into Surrey near Guildford. Some comments and stream of thoughts on things I've noticed and differences from Toronto:

#1 big thing which hasn't changed from my post last week ... The air is SO clean here. It's like being at the cottage while still in the city.

The demographics are so different here too and I think a part of where I'm feeling major culture shock. Lots of Caucasians especially those of British descent. I'm white myself but I'm not used to there being this many in the urban area. The India folks in Surrey are also very different from Toronto in that the ones here in Vancouver all seem to have a British accent and their culture seems different too. Lots of Chinese as well, also different from Toronto. Maybe a larger mainland Chinese influence as opposed to HK? I can't put my finger on how exactly they are different but the difference is there. Also noticed that it sort of feels like each culture sticks to their own. Rarely seeing mixed couples that's common in back home. Also noticing a distinct lack of Caribbean and African folks which is depressing. Not sure where I'm going to get Jamaican roti now.

The city is definitely diverse but in a much narrower and sharper sense than I am used to in Toronto.

I hate not knowing where all the good hole in the wall restaurants are.

My Skytrain transit commute (1 hour) is a Zen like experience ... I'm a tourist gawking at the mountains, trees and overall scenery every day. I can't get over how big the trees are here and how this city has managed to urbanize while keeping nature existing in the city. It really is an amazing balance you all have struck here.

Speaking of commutes, the Skytrain is fast, convienient and SUPER clean. There seems to be little to no congestion compared to the can of sardines TTC commutes I'm familiar with.. To be fair I'm doing a reverse commute and a large chunk on the millenium line so maybe that's why? Regardless I'm in love with the transit here.

My colleagues at work think I'm insane to be commuting for 1 hr daily. In Toronto that's pretty average ... Honestly I'm glad I picked Brentwood to live and commute to Surrey. The Brentwood area is really nice. With that said the "bad" areas of Surrey really don't seem all that bad.

Chicken here is expensive.

Fast food here is expensive. It depresses me every time I get a combo anywhere. On the bright side though the value menus are priced identical to Toronto.

Wine is also more expensive which sucks.

Cigarettes only come in packs of 20. The gas station guy looked at me like I was crazy when I kept asking when they would get their 25's in stock.

I'm sleeping WAY better here. My natural circadian cycle has always made me a late riser and I have suffered for years in the morning even diagnosed with a daytime sleeping disorder. Now on west coast time I'm bright and perky. A combination of 0 smog, clean air and moving 3 hours back appears to have cured me.

People here are super laid back. In Toronto when shit goes wrong, somebody is in MAJOR trouble and everyone freaks out. Here it sort of feels like everyone sort of shrugs says oh well. I'm really digging the pace here and the emphasis on living life.

The streets are ridiculously clean here. I am afraid to toss my cigarette butts when on the street ... Compared to Toronto where every street is littered with butts. Oh and I rarely see smokers. I mean I know folks smoke but it's like it's been banned From the public eye.

London Drugs is my new favorite store. Awesome ... Like a mini Walmart. We NEED this chain in Ontario.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Thanks!

Well I've been here for 1 week as of tomorrow. Currently commuting from Brentwood into Surrey near Guildford. Some comments and stream of thoughts on things I've noticed and differences from Toronto:

#1 big thing which hasn't changed from my post last week ... The air is SO clean here. It's like being at the cottage while still in the city.

that comes with all the trees :p
The demographics are so different here too and I think a part of where I'm feeling major culture shock. Lots of Caucasians especially those of British descent. I'm white myself but I'm not used to there being this many in the urban area. The India folks in Surrey are also very different from Toronto in that the ones here in Vancouver all seem to have a British accent and their culture seems different too.

Wait you're saying there are MORE caucasians here than in Toronto? -confused-

Lots of Chinese as well, also different from Toronto. Maybe a larger mainland Chinese influence as opposed to HK?

Definitely a lot of HK. Not so many Mainland, but there definitely are some. Go to Richmond, you'll see.

I can't put my finger on how exactly they are different but the difference is there.

You'll get better at that over time, trust me. I moved here from (very white) Europe and at first wasn't able to tell either.

Also noticed that it sort of feels like each culture sticks to their own. Rarely seeing mixed couples that's common in back home. Also noticing a distinct lack of Caribbean and African folks which is depressing. Not sure where I'm going to get Jamaican roti now.

A) Yes, definitely. Vancouver is not a melting pot, it's more like a patchwork. Though there ARE a ton of mixed couples, it's extremely common. But friend circles are usually single-race, which is kind of... sad. Vancouver is very clique-ish. :(

Everywhere! That's the exciting thing. ;) So many good, hidden food places, you just have to go out explore. And consult yelp/urbanspoon/whatever

My Skytrain transit commute (1 hour) is a Zen like experience ... I'm a tourist gawking at the mountains, trees and overall scenery every day. I can't get over how big the trees are here and how this city has managed to urbanize while keeping nature existing in the city. It really is an amazing balance you all have struck here.

Speaking of commutes, the Skytrain is fast, convienient and SUPER clean. There seems to be little to no congestion compared to the can of sardines TTC commutes I'm familiar with.. To be fair I'm doing a reverse commute and a large chunk on the millenium line so maybe that's why? Regardless I'm in love with the transit here.

"how big the trees are" lol Transit can fill up at peak hours, but it really depends on which direction you're going.
My colleagues at work think I'm insane to be commuting for 1 hr daily. In Toronto that's pretty average ... Honestly I'm glad I picked Brentwood. The area is really nice. With that said the "bad" areas of Surrey really don't seem all that bad.

Have you been to the "bad" areas? ;) But yeah, we just make fun of Surrey because compared to the rest of Vancouver it's kinda ghetto. But still fine compared to, well, most of the rest of North America.

Fast food here is expensive. It depresses me every time I get a combo anywhere. On the bright side though the value menus are priced identical to Toronto.

Cigarettes only come in packs of 20. The gas station guy looked at me like I was crazy when I kept asking when they would get their 25's in stock.

That's why barely anyone here smokes! ;) DON'T MESS UP OUR AIR. :D

People here are super laid back. In Toronto when shit goes wrong, somebody is in MAJOR trouble and everyone freaks out. Here it sort of feels like everyone sort of shrugs says oh well. I'm really digging the pace here and the emphasis on living life.

Yeah, Vancouver is west coast, Toronto is NYC/East Coast. We're chill. It's one of the big benefits/draws of the city. ;)

The streets are ridiculously clean here. I am afraid to toss my cigarette butts when on the street ... Compared to Toronto where every street is littered with butts. Oh and I rarely see smokers. I mean I know folks smoke but it's like it's been banned From the public eye.

Easy solution, stop smoking. And don't throw your buds on the ground. But seriously, barely anyone here smokes. More people smoke weed than nicotine :lol

London Drugs is my new favorite store. Awesome ... Like a mini Walmart. We NEED this chain in Ontario.

wait, there's no London Drugs in Ontario? Weird.

.. we DO have Walmart too, you realize that, right? There's one at Lougheed Mall, that's like... 15mins on the skytrain from where you live.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Thanks!

The demographics are so different here too and I think a part of where I'm feeling major culture shock. Lots of Caucasians especially those of British descent. I'm white myself but I'm not used to there being this many in the urban area. The India folks in Surrey are also very different from Toronto in that the ones here in Vancouver all seem to have a British accent and their culture seems different too. Lots of Chinese as well, also different from Toronto. Maybe a larger mainland Chinese influence as opposed to HK? I can't put my finger on how exactly they are different but the difference is there. Also noticed that it sort of feels like each culture sticks to their own. Rarely seeing mixed couples that's common in back home. Also noticing a distinct lack of Caribbean and African folks which is depressing. Not sure where I'm going to get Jamaican roti now.

The city is definitely diverse but in a much narrower and sharper sense than I am used to in Toronto.

My colleagues at work think I'm insane to be commuting for 1 hr daily. In Toronto that's pretty average ... Honestly I'm glad I picked Brentwood to live and commute to Surrey. The Brentwood area is really nice. With that said the "bad" areas of Surrey really don't seem all that bad.

I'm sleeping WAY better here. My natural circadian cycle has always made me a late riser and I have suffered for years in the morning even diagnosed with a daytime sleeping disorder. Now on west coast time I'm bright and perky. A combination of 0 smog, clean air and moving 3 hours back appears to have cured me.

Wait, Ontario doesn't have London Drugs? Weird...

Anyways, welcome to the city! Moving here was a pretty awesome experience for me too coming from Calgary.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm too sensitive
Go to Winnipeg or anywhere other Canadian city where they have winters with -30 degrees steady during some winter months and you'll see. Also,

Wait, Ontario doesn't have London Drugs? Weird...

Liberty4all

Banned
Smiley90 said:
that comes with all the trees :p

Wait you're saying there are MORE caucasians here than in Toronto? -confused-

I guess I should have clarified ... I'm talking about 4th, 5th, 6th gen Canadians (British/Irish/Scotish descent/WASPS). There are noticeably more in Vancouver and Burnaby, at least it feels that way to me. In Toronto aside from a few high end neighborhoods most WASP's moved way out to fringe suburbs in the 905 years ago (Vancouver equivalent fringe suburbs would be Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge , etc). There are still lots of Europeans in Toronto it's just the WASPs that have been moving out to the outer suburbs..

The most frequently reported ethnic origin in Toronto in 2011 was English (part of British) at 13% of those living in Toronto, Irish at 9.7 and Scotish at 9.5 Source . I looked up Vancouvers demographics and I guess you guys have a much larger WASP community in the city (I'm including Burnaby, Surrey, Richmond, North Vancouver when I say Vancouver).

Smiley90 said:
Have you been to the "bad" areas? ;) But yeah, we just make fun of Surrey because compared to the rest of Vancouver it's kinda ghetto. But still fine compared to, well, most of the rest of North America.

Yeah I went into the heart of Whalley. Honestly it was run down in comparison to everywhere else I've seen in Vancouver and a few unsavory characters but I didn't feel unsafe at all ... And compared to Toronto's bad areas, Whalley isn't really in the same ballpark.

Smiley90 said:
wait, there's no London Drugs in Ontario? Weird.

.. we DO have Walmart too, you realize that, right? There's one at Lougheed Mall, that's like... 15mins on the skytrain from where you live.

Yeah I know about the Walmart at Lougheed. Costco close to me too. Overall great shopping options but the London Drugs in Brentwood mall is a lifesaver. We don't have it in Ontario, I really like it, so far I've been able to get everything I needed there and it's literally 5 min walk from where I live.

A few other differences I've noticed. While most fast food combos are more expensive here, pizza slices on the other hand is SO cheap at $2 a slice and so far it seems almost all the pizza joints respect the $2 per slice rule. Back home in Toronto it's minimum $3.25 for a slice, more if you have more toppings than just pepperoni or if you go to a nicer pizza slice place (slices top out at $5). Admittedly our slices out east are slightly bigger, but lately they've been shrinking them. Also the bottom barrel pizza here in Vancouver is WAAAAYY better that Torontos bottom barrel stuff. Really enjoying "Fresh Slice" and "Uncle Faith".

My Instagram account I'm fairly active, urban photography. I've taken a bunch of my site seeing over the week if anyone's interested. https://instagram.com/bamelin/

I went downtown today ... Gorgeous city core.

Man... Ive been trying to find like apparel like a hoodie or a shirt that just says "Canada" or just has a Maple Leaf on it and it's really tough. The touristy shops are terrible and the ones at Hudson Bay have a crap ton of branding for the Olympics :\

Same for just hats

Cheerilee

Yeah I know about the Walmart at Lougheed. Costco close to me too. Overall great shopping options but the London Drugs in Brentwood mall is a lifesaver. We don't have it in Ontario, I really like it, so far I've been able to get everything I needed there and it's literally 5 min walk from where I live.

A few other differences I've noticed. While most fast food combos are more expensive here, pizza slices on the other hand is SO cheap at $2 a slice and so far it seems almost all the pizza joints respect the $2 per slice rule. Back home in Toronto it's minimum $3.25 for a slice, more if you have more toppings than just pepperoni or if you go to a nicer pizza slice place (slices top out at $5). Admittedly our slices out east are slightly bigger, but lately they've been shrinking them. Also the bottom barrel pizza here in Vancouver is WAAAAYY better that Torontos bottom barrel stuff. Really enjoying "Fresh Slice" and "Uncle Faith".
Try the Costco pizza and hot dogs, if you haven't already.

Smiley90

Man... Ive been trying to find like apparel like a hoodie or a shirt that just says "Canada" or just has a Maple Leaf on it and it's really tough. The touristy shops are terrible and the ones at Hudson Bay have a crap ton of branding for the Olympics :\

Same for just hats

Try Roots, it's a bit on the higher-end of prices but the quality and the designs are really good.

When my family came to visit they bought sweaters from a touristy store from... uh... the store is at 1046 Robson and it's called "Grand Maple Enterprises" AFAIK. I know this so specifically because my mom's BF came and bought a sweater there for his son who's growing quickly and he wanted me to bring him a bigger size as a christmas present for his son because he likes the current sweater so much and doesn't wanna grow out of it :D

Same applies to hats, though those should really not be a big deal to buy from touristy stores. :p I mean... just buy a Canucks hat -cough- Dallas -cough-

Liberty4all

Banned
Man... Ive been trying to find like apparel like a hoodie or a shirt that just says "Canada" or just has a Maple Leaf on it and it's really tough. The touristy shops are terrible and the ones at Hudson Bay have a crap ton of branding for the Olympics :

Same for just hats

Usually Roots has Canada branded stuff ...

Smoking is more noticeable downtown. Maybe it's the business types or maybe it's because of more people.

Remember how I said I'd make a meet-up thread? I lied.

Actually I've been busy. Someone else can make it.

Bamelin! how rosey are the colour of your glasses exactly towards Vancouver?

Although I do agree that London Drugs is pretty neat to have (better than Shoppers, which is the only option we have in Ontario) ...

But as far as the Pizza! ugh, they may be slightly cheaper than Toronto, but most small(er) Towns in Ontario have delicious, huge slices for 2.00-2.50 bucks!

Uncle Fathi;s and Fresh slice are gross! I can't eat that stuff

you need to try Goldies and the one right across the street from Goldies, (Seymour and Pender in downtown, across the Street from Malone's bar) both best pizza in town at around 3 bucks a slice.

Firestorm

I'm not huge on Goldies honestly... I used to love Uncle Fatih's on Broadway / Commercial but it seems to have become less great in recent years as they've expanded.

And London Drugs is convenient but overpriced. I guess I do stop by pretty often for everyday crap as it's just so close by though. London Drugs doesn't go east of Manitoba.

Translink is waaayyy better than TTC. Definitely agreed. Also agree with the diversity issue you're observing in Vancouver vs Toronto.

The only Jamaican place I know is The Reef. They have locations on Main as well as Commercial.

RC

Banned
I had such great Jamaican food when I was visiting Toronto. Wish we had more Jamican/West Indian places here. Also should try the Reef one of these days.

Tabris

I had amazing Roti somewhere in Vancouver but I don't remember the place.

I think it was near Carroll St and Hastings.

EDIT - Found it: http://calabashbistro.com

There's not a cuisine you can't find in Vancouver. Some of you just need to walk around downtown more.

Tabris

Sure there's exceptions like Save-On Meats but come on, expecting to pay less then $20 for a good entree in Vancouver is asinine.

Just based on the lease prices these restaurants have to pay, you gotta expect them to charge more then other cities.

RC

Banned
Sure there's exceptions like Save-On Meats but come on, expecting to pay less then $20 for a good entree in Vancouver is asinine.

Just based on the lease prices these restaurants have to pay, you gotta expect them to charge more then other cities.

And an entree less than $20 isn't really even considered food, huh Tabris? Might as well throw it out on the streets for all the people who live outside of downtown to munch on.

Smiley90

LOL turdbris thinking you can't get amazing food for entrees less than 20$. how about literally EVERY sushi place? Man I could list so many places with great food below 20. Widen your horizons sweet prince.

I've been to Calabash many times, the downstairs bar is a good place to get sloshed and meet some nice, diverse ladies, It's a good place to go with a small group, and if you got 40-50 bucks (at least) to spend on a nice Caribbean dinner and some cocktails/beers.

So having said this, it is a pricey place to eat. it's more of a an experience you may want to experience once, twice, rather than a place to frequent for dinner.... Not cheap.

Goldies is so much better than Uncle Fathi's no contest, I really like the place across the street from Goldie's (on the North East corner of Seymour and Pender) Don't know the name "2 for 1 Pizza" ?? or something?? Not to be mistaken with the crappy Pizza place right next to (East of) it.

Also forgot how pricey London Drugs can be, but sometimes they do have red sticker "Specials" on some useful toiletries, if not mostly on candy, chips, chocolate and other junk food.

Also, Fuck downtown for cheap food, downtown is the worst for affordable good food, the only thing you gonna eat under 12-10 bucks in downtown (outside of pizza slices) is indeed fast food, in the form of McDonalds , A & W and Burger king.

Speaking of the Reef. Commercial between 1st and 12th is where it's at for cheap good food.

Siddhartha's Indian Kitchen I highly recommend between 4th and 5th on Commercial for cheap, but good Indian food, Mondays lunch special (between 12 and 3:00pm) 5 bucks for a decent size bowl of Butter Chicken Curry (with salad) it's really good! "White ppl"

Also Sushi Ville right across the street form it is a good value sushi place, you get a lot for not much, although may not be the best sushi in town, it's still good.

Another good/cheap pizza joint (not as good as Goldies or the other on though) is Fire Pizza on Commercial.

I also love the burritos at Banditas Taqueria ( a full Vegetarian joint) but the place ain't cheap, you're looking at 20 bucks and over.

Cannibal Burgers has great burgers, although again, not cheap but worse, the service is shit (on a busy day) . But the burgers are good and it's worth the price and trouble.

There's also Belgian Fries, good food, but not the cheapest.

Cheerilee

I feel spoiled now lol.

Welcome to Vancouver. The other day, I had to wait 20 minutes for a bus that's supposed to arrive every 5-10. And it happened to me twice on the same trip. I was so mad. Then I come home and see that Bamelin is happy about his one-hour commute. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't survive one year in the "real world".

Sora_N

Welcome to Vancouver. The other day, I had to wait 20 minutes for a bus that's supposed to arrive every 5-10. And it happened to me twice on the same trip. I was so mad. Then I come home and see that Bamelin is happy about his one-hour commute. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't survive one year in the "real world".

One time I was waiting at a pho place for my friend who lives like 10-15 mins away. He took the bus to meet me instead of walking and I was there for an hour and a half lol.

Yeah on weekends its worse.

Morning its usually good except when it snows cuz no one can deal with snow it seems.

Tabris

Also, Fuck downtown for cheap food, downtown is the worst for affordable good food, the only thing you gonna eat under 12-10 bucks in downtown (outside of pizza slices) is indeed fast food, in the form of McDonalds , A & W and Burger king.

Why would I ever leave downtown (well except for kits and false creek) though? Name me something I can't get downtown.

Thus my statement was true.

I have actually stopped hanging out with people because they live in places like Surrey. Not that we really close or anything but still.

Smiley90

Why would I ever leave downtown (well except for kits and false creek) though? Name me something I can't get downtown.

Thus my statement was true.

I have actually stopped hanging out with people because they live in places like Surrey. Not that we really close or anything but still.

LOL

... how about great food under 20 dollars, LITERALLY THE THING WE'RE TALKING ABOUT

Smiley90

Downtown entree cost > Transit cost + time spent commuting vs "how much my time is worth" + low entree cost

You asked if there's anything that's not downtown. I gave you an answer. Just admit you're wrong, it's cool, I'll wait.

"Is there anything I can't get downtown?"

"yes, this amazing food everywhere else that's also cheap"

"nah not worth my time"

"..."

Liberty4all

Banned
Bamelin! how rosey are the colour of your glasses exactly towards Vancouver?

Although I do agree that London Drugs is pretty neat to have (better than Shoppers, which is the only option we have in Ontario) ...

But as far as the Pizza! ugh, they may be slightly cheaper than Toronto, but most small(er) Towns in Ontario have delicious, huge slices for 2.00-2.50 bucks!

Uncle Fathi;s and Fresh slice are gross! I can't eat that stuff

you need to try Goldies and the one right across the street from Goldies, (Seymour and Pender in downtown, across the Street from Malone's bar) both best pizza in town at around 3 bucks a slice.

lol in all honesty the "bad" pizza here in Vancouver is much better than the "bad" pizza in Toronto ... And it's SOOOO cheap! 2 bucks mann. .. I can't remember the last time I got a slice of pizza in Toronto for 2 bucks. At least 10 - 20 years ago. With that said, I will definitely try your recommendations ... If I'm enjoying 2 dollar pizza I'll probaly be in extacy over the higher priced stuff.

So far part of my life in Vancouver has actually been in Burnaby, exploring the area around Brentwood Mall ... Nice area. The other part of my life has been in Surrey where I work near Guildford Town Centre. I did go downtown on Saturday and spent the day walking through the core. Started around Pacific Mall, walked down to the waterfront (gorgeous area), walked back up into what I think was the LGBT part of town (rainbow sidewalks was a big hint), continued walking through beautiful neighborhoods bordering Robinson. Ended my walk at a casino near the stadium. My Instagram account chronicles my Saturday walk -- downtown Vancouver obviously has a fantastic walking culture, much like Torontos downtown core. I will say around pacific mall I felt a wave of nogstalia for Toronto ... It was the first time since getting to the west coast that the air tasted kind of like home (polluted but still the smell of "home" lol).

Tabris

lol in all honesty the "bad" pizza here in Vancouver is much better than the "bad" pizza in Toronto ... And it's SOOOO cheap! 2 bucks mann. .. I can't remember the last time I got a slice of pizza in Toronto for 2 bucks. At least 10 - 20 years ago. With that said, I will definitely try your recommendations ... If I'm enjoying 2 dollar pizza I'll probaly be in extacy over the higher priced stuff.

So far part of my life in Vancouver has actually been in Burnaby, exploring the area around Brentwood Mall ... Nice area. The other part of my life has been in Surrey where I work near Guildford Town Centre. I did go downtown on Saturday and spent the day walking through the core. Started around Pacific Mall, walked down to the waterfront (gorgeous area), walked back up into what I think was the gay part of town (rainbow sidewalks was a big hint), continued walking through beautiful neighborhoods bordering Robinson. Ended my walk at a casino near the stadium. My Instagram, account chronicles my Saturday walk -- downtown Vancouver obviously has a fantastic walking culture, much like Torontos downtown core. I will say around pacific mall I felt a wave of nogstalia for Toronto ... It was the first time since getting to the west coast that the air tasted kind of like home (polluted but still the smell of "home" lol).

LGBT community (I recommend adjusting your vernacular to be all encompassing) is a bit more focused in the Davie St area but it's all over in Vancouver. A segmented or focused LGBT community was more common before but that's really going away as tolerance increases and ignorance decreases.

Liberty4all

Banned

Transit here is AWESOME. Seriously my commute is so relaxing compared to the hell commutes back in Toronto. The Skytrain has unbelievable views that de-stress you before and after work. Everything is on time and FAST. Even the one bus I have to take in Surrey is Express (96B line), prompt, always have seats ... Man so much better than shitty streetcars with no AC in +40 humidex, or standing in -35 with windchill for 30 min waiting for a streetcar ONLY NOT ABLE TO GET ON BECAUSE TOO FULL FUCKKKKK ... even the "rush hour" here is a joke ... I always get a seat. To be fair I'm doing a reverse commute into Surrey. I know some people thought I was crazy but in all honesty reverse commuting is a very common occurrence in Toronto. Although lately the advantage of reverse commuting has diminished in recent years with it just being plain gridlock whether you are coming or going from the core. In Vancouver though reverse commute is blissful ...absolutely nobody going into Surrey in the morning and very few heading back to the core at night.

I'm glad I picked to live on the Millenium line ... It's obvious that this is the lighter line traffic wise, made even lighter by reverse commuting. Also is it a Vancouver thing that people shout thanks to the bus driver from the back door? The first few times I didn't think anything of it but it's like a super regular thing. I though it kind of cute.

Other things I've noticed ... It's true Toronto may have extreme heat and cold over the seasons but at least the temperature is constant day and night be it blazing hot or bitterly cold. Here in Vancouver on the other hand I'm like freezing in the morning then oh fuck it's hot in the afternoon. I wondered why everyone layers here, now I get it lol.

Liberty4all

Banned
LGBT community (I recommend adjusting your vernacular to be all encompassing) is a bit more focused in the Davie St area but it's all over in Vancouver. A segmented or focused LGBT community was more common before but that's really going away as tolerance increases and ignorance decreases.

Apologies, no offense intended I will edit my previous post. Toronto has a specific neighborhood that is where the LGBT community congregates ... I assumed I was in the Vancouver equivalent as there were lots of pride flags.

Tabris

Transit here is AWESOME. Seriously my commute is so relaxing compared to the hell commutes back in Toronto. The Skytrain has unbelievable views that de-stress you before and after work. Everything is on time and FAST.

Thank you for giving these people, especially people from Surrey, perspective. Everyone here whines about Translink (our transit company) thinking that everything is so bad, not realizing how good our transit system is. Both in efficiency, cost, and punctuallity.

You weren't here recently, but there was a plebiscite asking voters whether they would be willing to give 0.5% sales tax increase for transit projects like a light rail in Surrey and a new skytrain line down broadway. It lost due to voters thinking our current transit system is bad.

I would love to hear from the people who voted No respond to your perspective of our transit.

Apologies, no offense intended. Toronto has a specific neighborhood that is where the LGBT community congregates ... I assumed I was in the Vancouver equivalent.

Nah you didn't say anything offensive, just recommending adjustment of vernacular to be all encompassing is all. Davie St is the equivalent but it's slowly becoming more dispersed with Vancouver overall. The community lines are blurring.

Firestorm

I did the reverse commute throughout university (I live in Vancouver, primary campus was SFU Surrey in Central City though I usually had a day at Burnaby Mountain as well). It's a fairly relaxing ride.

Except when I got on the wrong train. Fuck Sapperton.

Liberty4all

Banned
Thank you for giving these people, especially people from Surrey, perspective. Everyone here whines about Translink (our transit company) thinking that everything is so bad, not realizing how good our transit system is. Both in efficiency, cost, and punctuallity.

You weren't here recently, but there was a plebiscite asking voters whether they would be willing to give 0.5% sales tax increase for transit projects like a light rail in Surrey and a new skytrain line down broadway. It lost due to voters thinking our current transit system is bad.

I would love to hear from the people who voted No respond to your perspective of our transit.

To be fair the majority of my commute is all Skytrain from Brentwood, on the lightly used millenium line, with one express bus from Surrey Central to Guildford -- and a reverse commute to boot so my perspective may be flawed compared to a heavy crowded commute into the core on weekdays during rush hour. I can't really judge bus service ... The 96B Express line comes every 10 min and I only have to ride it for 7 min.

I will say on Saturday leaving the downtown core around 6 the Skytrain was crowded but it didn't "feel" crowded the way Toronto streetcars and Subway cars do.

I think one of the biggest differences for me is cell service and the ability to talk or use the Internet on my commute. Back home there's no signal in the subway which means long boring commutes whether it's busy or not.

Tabris

About once every 3 months the skytrain breaks down during rush hour and people have 1-2 hour wait times happen for temporary busses. How does that compare to Toronto?

Top Bottom