• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Tabris

Speaking on shopping:

Referred to as the “King of Cashmere,” Italian luxury fashion brand Brunello Cucinelli has opened its first Canadian location in Vancouver. It joins a number of other premium brands in Vancouver’s ‘Luxury Zone.’

The 2,700 sq. ft. boutique opened last week at 765 Thurlow Street, and it will soon be joined by Versace and Swiss menswear brand Strellson in the same complex.

Brunello Cucinelli joins the ‘Luxury Zone’ with Dior, De Beers, Burberry, Escada, Hermes, Tiffany & Co., Jaeger-LeCoultre, Louis Vuitton, and others. According to Retail-Insider, Canada’s second Moncler location will open in December across from Cucinelli on Thurlow Street, and a massive three-level flagship Prada is under construction at the southeast corner of Thurlow and Alberni Streets. Sources say that a number of premium international brands continue to negotiate for retail space in the immediate area.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
From an American:

Where can I buy a poppy pin to help support Remembersnce Day. Feels like everyone does it here and IT IS AMAZING. I love that.

they sell them everywhere. If you can't see anyone on the street, check out e.g. london drugs or similar stores.

Smiley90

Thanks! London Drugs on Robson is on my way into work so will check there. Need to get a bigger umbrella anyways.

get an umbrella from the umbrella store on... uh... hastings and richards? somewhere around there. they cost a bit more (~50 bucks?) but they have a lifetime warranty on the material and offer free repairs if anything breaks.

Firestorm

From an American:

Where can I buy a poppy pin to help support Remembersnce Day. Feels like everyone does it here and IT IS AMAZING. I love that.
I grabbed one at Tim Hortons in Harbour Centre today. Pretty much every mall has 'em too.
get an umbrella from the umbrella store on... uh... hastings and richards? somewhere around there. they cost a bit more (~50 bucks?) but they have a lifetime warranty on the material and offer free repairs if anything breaks.
Oh wow. Though my umbrellas are 50/50 on breaking/losing...

Firestorm

ohhhhhhhh

I mean it'd be hypocritical of me to sit here and throw shade at them considering some of the midnight launches I've attended the last few years
It's so damn cold though. I remember lining up for a Wii but thankfully I did it inside Metrotown and starting at 8AM :p

Tabris

The Luxury Zone transition is still happening. It's been happening for the last decade or so, ever since the Shangri-La went in.

Within the end of the decade, it will be all luxury stores.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
And Alberni will remain that street I never go down except when there's a Dineout or Groupon for Black+Blue.

Hey! Alberni is great for avoiding foot traffic on Robson! (Haro too for that matter, except at night, because skunks =S )

Dazzler

I used to live on Alberni, it's a rad little street for avoiding the high traffic of Robson/West Georgia. It's got a huge BC Liquor too :)

Smiley90

Alberni has Thierry, that should be reason enough to go there. You're missing out. Glorious liquid chocolate and macarons and other desserts.

Firestorm

So is that road like a no go to walking down? Just curious as I will want to get some Korean BBQ and I believe it's all up there.
Nah it's fine. I just mean I usually ignore it as it's pricier boutiques in the Alberni & Burrard area. I usually just walk up to Robson and walk down Robson 'til I hit the Korean section.

The best spot for Korean BBQ is the Coquitlam area somewhat near Lougheed but it's a tad far :p Robson is a decent alternative for accessibility.

I actually like walking down Robson even if it can be busy. Gives me a nice vibe walking it at night.

Smiley90

So is that road like a no go to walking down? Just curious as I will want to get some Korean BBQ and I believe it's all up there.

All the korean restaurants downtown are actually on Robson&Cardero, a bit further than Alberni&Thurlow :p but yeah they're just being funny, it's perfectly safe. Alberni is good for spending a lot of money, looking at fancy parked cars and Thierry.

Cheerilee

From an American:

Tip for not stabbing yourself with the poppy:

Find one of those miniature little Canadian flag pins (the ones that punch through an article of clothing with a short little pin and have a safety clip on the back), ditch the default pin in your poppy and replace it with the flag pin. It puts a little Canadian flag in the middle of your poppy, but I've never seen anyone complain, it mostly scores a bonus point for added patriotism.

If you've got a USA pin and want to show off some USA veterans pride, I imagine that's okay too.

Also, you can go to a craft store (I found mine at a dollar store) and they have those little pins & safety clips so you can glue them onto things and make DIY pins, and you can just color the head of one black with a sharpie so it's an almost-invisible pin upgrade on your standard poppy.

lupin23rd

That last one looks ugly though.

Also I laughed at the article of the the woman protesting a new west end high-rise because it means ONE tree has to be cut down. "It's the neighborhood tree!" Fuck that, unless this woman is willing to solve the housing scarcity herself that tree needs to go, stop being so selfish

Put the tree ON TOP OF THE BUILDING. Problem solved!

Cheerilee

I just repeatedly donate for new poppies as I lose them.

I'm not worried about losing the poppy, I just don't like stabbing myself. No matter which way I point the needle (inside, outside, up, down, left, right), I always end up bleeding. Until I discovered the safety clasp.

Went to London Drugs and they didn't have any. So I walked back home and found one perfect one on the ground. Terrible I know but I grabbed that :X

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just returning to town from a 2-week vacation, how's the weather home? I read it snowed in Grouse already? Pls be true, last year's season sucked. I didn't go snowboarding a single time.

Smiley90

I'm just returning to town from a 2-week vacation, how's the weather home? I read it snowed in Grouse already? Pls be true, last year's season sucked. I didn't go snowboarding a single time.

It rained suuuuper hard the lasr few days but it's dry again now. But global warming and the resulting strong el nino probably mean bad snow winter again, despite this early snowfall.

Every year, many ask whether a Canadian flag pin or another fastening device can be used in the centre of the poppy.

“The poppy is the sacred symbol of remembrance and should not be defaced in any way,” said the Royal Canadian Legion. “No other pin, therefore, should be used to attach it to clothing.”

While the Legion said it cannot control the poppy’s form of wear by the public, it is “undoubtedly better to wear a poppy with a Canadian flag in the center than not to wear a poppy at all.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1656922/6-things-to-know-about-the-poppy-for-remembrance-day/

Reminder that the meetup is this Saturday.

Cheerilee

Went to London Drugs and they didn't have any. So I walked back home and found one perfect one on the ground. Terrible I know but I grabbed that :X

Not terrible at all. Wearing a poppy and donating are two different things. Like, if you bought a poppy but then threw it away and never wore it, that would be a bad thing. Wearing a poppy makes a public show of support and encourages other to do the same, mostly by donating a buck to get a poppy.

You saved a perfectly good poppy from getting stepped on and thrown in the trash. And you started the visual side of your support ASAP. Once you pass a donation box, just throw a buck in while wearing your poppy, and say "No thanks, I already have one." All of your karma will be balanced. You prevented some litter, and you made a volunteer think you're slightly more generous than you actually are.

That's bullshit. It's not defacement, it's an upgrade. I remember when I was a kid, I got a poppy which was miscut, so I grabbed some scissors and repaired it. Does that count as "defacing" a sacred symbol?

Although it's nice to read that it goes on the left. I never really know where to put it.

Also, I liked the green-centered ones. They should bring them back occasionally.

Smiley90

"SURREY, B.C. – Mounties in Surrey, B.C., say a would-be carjacker is in jail after picking the worst-possible vehicle to try and steal.

Police say a man approached a car at a city intersection Monday evening and tried to pull the driver out of his seat with a goal of stealing the vehicle.

But the man’s plans went awry — the vehicle was an unmarked police car and the two occupants were undercover officers, who identified themselves and then arrested the man.

Surrey RCMP spokesman Cpl. Scotty Schumann says the officers are both big, burly men and don’t look like the kind of guys anyone would want to pick a fight with.

Schumann says the suspect got the ride he wanted, but probably not to the location he was planning.

Twenty-five-year-old Kyle Blair, of Penticton, B.C., is in custody and faces possible charges of robbery and breach of probation."

http://globalnews.ca/news/2331447/m.../?hootPostID=2c7cf62d6a4e026473cdc9a7f262458f

A guy from Penticton getting arrested in Surrey from trying to steal a cop car with two cops sitting in it? Yeup, that sounds about right for a story involving those two cities LOL.

Smiley90

I wanna thank everyone that's offered me a place to stay - I've consulted with goverment lawmakers and they confirmed the eviction notice was illegal so I'll be staying here til at least Dec31! At war, but staying. :)

Smiley90

oztuOow.png

sure am!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Hope everyone is enjoying the rain today

I've been thoroughly impressed with some of the lakes forming in streets around town and even more impressed by how many people don't even try to slow down for them. Honestly surprised that no one flooded their engine on a couple of occasions.

Top Bottom