• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

I feel so bad driving through them, it's so much fun but I always have to look out for pedestrians so I don't accidentally soak them like your mom

JNMXnow.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
MHMMMM

"Are you a Vancouver-area fan of EA NHL? EA Playtesting is holding special sessions next Thursday & Friday! Participants will get their chance to voice their opinions in 30-45 min sessions, and will be given a free EA-developed game as thanks for their time!

Interested? Sign up here: https://eaca.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eDrPrNTzts4wJpz

DETAILS:
Days: Thursday or Friday, November 19 or 20
Session: 30-45 minute sessions available from 10 am to 4:30 pm
Who: NHL players of ALL LEVELS!
What's in it for me: 1 free EA game of your choosing

Participants must be able to attend a session during the dates/times specified at EA Canada in Burnaby. If you're selected to participate, you'll be notified by phone or email.

To see our privacy policy, or to sign up for a newsletter about upcoming playtests in your area, please use this link! https://playtesting.ea.com/"

Free EA game to play some NHL, something I do anyway? MHMMM. Who's joining me? lol

Firestorm

I just moved to (north) Vancouver. How's the Street Fighter scene in the region ?
I think the regular place used to be Espot in Richmond but now seems to be a place in Burnaby. North Van is sort of an annoying place to get anywhere from as you'll either need to drive over a bridge, take the seabus, or take a bus over the bridge first. Could be worse though! Check out this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vansf/
I wouldn't even know how to find that out.

Do we even have any arcades anymore?
I thought you could find everything downtown :eek:

I just moved to (north) Vancouver. How's the Street Fighter scene in the region ?

I love that shitty little arcade on Granville

My go-to spot when I have time to kill downtown

Granted you can stand smell of urine and cleaning chemicals: You can make friends at the back of that Arcade with a hand full of hard core Third Strike players who refuse to evolve to SFIV, and I guess now V.

TomHanks

Neo Member
I think the regular place used to be Espot in Richmond but now seems to be a place in Burnaby. North Van is sort of an annoying place to get anywhere from as you'll either need to drive over a bridge, take the seabus, or take a bus over the bridge first. Could be worse though! Check out this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vansf/
I thought you could find everything downtown :eek:

Getting downtown from North Van isn't problematic, but yes, further than that becomes an annoying trip. Looks like i'll have to travel quite a bit for anything... not worth it.

MutFox

Banned
I'm on the North Shore, it's my favorite part of town.
Pretty much the view that people downtown love is where I get to live.
The mountains and trails are my backyard and I'm a 10 min drive from the city.

Yes, I would recommend a vehicle on the North Shore.
Most of my friends here have one, cause transit isn't the greatest here.
Though there are area's where transit is fine.

My area is a bit of a trek from transit, but I prefer it that way,
I'm a 1 min walk from a forest which I love to ride my bike through.
Wish i could take my dirt bike through there though. :p

Smiley90

We downtownites have evolved past arcades. You'll get there eventually ;)

there IS an arcade on granville in the centre of everything though...

There's also an Arcade in Steveston, though that's obviously even further from NVan

Firestorm

Yeah tried to grab the 20 bus but that passed me without stopping because it was so full. Decided to grab dinner with a friend and it still hasn't been fixed so taking a longer way home via Canada Line.

B-Dex

Granville street in general is disgusting. Non-stop ambulances and police because all the clubs can't keep their shit together.

SystemBug

I'll be in Vancouver at Decemebr 6th for a job interview. Interview won't be until the 7th so I think I will have time to check out one thing atleast.

What should I doooo??

Never been to Vancouver! Is it as complex and scary as Toronto?

B-Dex

I'll be in Vancouver at Decemebr 6th for a job interview. Interview won't be until the 7th so I think I will have time to check out one thing atleast.

What should I doooo??

It is pathetically small and try hard. And full of homeless.

Tabris

Vancouver is one of the greatest cities in the world.

Unless you are a boring sub-urban parent, I guarantee you'll love it here!

What did you get? All of that?
Yep. It was amazing.

gaddamn immigrants who won't assimilate into our culture

Working today was dumb

What should I doooo??

Extremely easy to get around and figure out. Gorgeous place as well. (Unless you get here when it's raining which is a high possibility)

Smiley90

What should I doooo??

I see nobody has given any specific suggestions yet, so I'll give some

- Walk/bike around Stanley Park&Seawall (start at the convention centre! tons of cheap rental places around, too)
- Take the Gondola up Grouse Mountain for a gorgeous view, or if you're renting a car, drive to the Cypress Mountain Lookout
- Check out yelp/urbanspoon for some foody-heaven
- Check out gastown, the "old" city core
- A bit further, but Queen Elizabeth Park is very pretty and has a restaurant with a gorgeous view, too

Nether!

Not sure if you guys had ever been there before/heard of it, but Graze shut down last weekend. It was a vegan restaurant with a cool "indoor park" on the second floor.

I ran a weekly show there and it's a real bummer that the owner sold it — so I'm back to looking for a new venue.

If anyone has any leads on a place with a secondary, semi-private space, let me know.

Firestorm

I guess I won't be making the next meetup. Accepted a job offer with the Government of Alberta and moving at the start of January to Red Deer, AB. Having lived in an urban core all my life this is going to be a crazy change. But it was literally a once in a lifetime career opportunity ... I would have been extremely foolish to pass on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN04Vg1v0cQ
Red Deer is a little less middle of nowhere than what you were describing. My cousin spent a year or two in Dawson as a new teacher which is 90x smaller :p Good luck with your new place!

What should I doooo??

Like mentioned, a walk on the seawall is usually nice and that'll end you up around the end of Robson which you can also walk up if you wanna check out our shops and such. Not sure how it will be when you're here. Seawall area also starts around Canada Place and the Olympic Cauldron. Rain will make it pretty miserable and it is getting cold... If you want your photo-op, the Steam Clock is there for ya even though I think it's sort of boring (doesn't even use steam!). What type of food do you like? Lots of good stuff downtown.

Liberty4all

Banned
Yeah I realize it's not like 5 - 10k small. 100k is still a decent sized place. With that said almost anything is going to feel small after living in downtown Toronto most of my life.

I guess I won't be making the next meetup. Accepted a job offer with the Government of Alberta and moving at the start of January to Red Deer, AB. Having lived in an urban core all my life this is going to be a crazy change. But it was literally a once in a lifetime career opportunity ... I would have been extremely foolish to pass on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN04Vg1v0cQ

I would die.

Congrats Bamelin!

Sad you won't be joining us for the next meetup. Maybe you can do a meetup with Red Deer, AB GAF!

I hear they are crazzzzzzzzzzy

But no really.. Congrats :)

Liberty4all

Banned
I would die.

Congrats Bamelin!

Sad you won't be joining us for the next meetup. Maybe you can do a meetup with Red Deer, AB GAF!

I hear they are crazzzzzzzzzzy

But no really.. Congrats :)

Thanks man. The job i landed is a game changer for me so I'm super happy.

I'm going to miss urban living though.

Tabris

I like the rain. I like looking out the window while it's raining. I like walking through the rain. I like the feeling of getting out of cold soaked clothes and warming back up.

It just happens too much in Vancouver.

Think we'll get snow this year? And I mean snow that can actually stick downtown.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It's weird. Despite the usual wet weather we get here, this cold snap is giving me insanely dry, itchy skin now. I couldn't imagine living back east where it would likely be much worse. =S

I don't think it'll snow much this year, and it if does it won't be enough to matter. Far as I know, the ocean currents are still in el nino mode, and if so it'll be an uphill battle for remotely consistent snow here this year.

It's weird. Despite the usual wet weather we get here, this cold snap is giving me insanely dry, itchy skin now. I couldn't imagine living back east where it would likely be much worse. =S

I don't think it'll snow much this year, and it if does it won't be enough to matter. Far as I know, the ocean currents are still in el nino mode, and if so it'll be an uphill battle for remotely consistent snow here this year.

Yeah my skin has been an itch fest.

366 days now without snow in Vancouver. Just passed a year yesterday apparently.

I also am kinda meh on the nonstop rain we are about to get. This past week has been nice with all the sun.

Dazzler

yea it's noticeably warmed up in the last 24-hours

I think we'll be snowless again this winter

We got a cold snap a year ago around this time and only got a dusting. This year we got nothing. As someone who plays soccer a lot outdoors in winter I'm ok with it not snowing and being mild, but it's a bummer for people who like snowboarding

yea it's noticeably warmed up in the last 24-hours

I think we'll be snowless again this winter

We got a cold snap a year ago around this time and only got a dusting. This year we got nothing. As someone who plays soccer a lot outdoors in winter I'm ok with it not snowing and being mild, but it's a bummer for people who like snowboarding

Just so you know, this has been one of the best snow season starts for the mountains in the past 4-5 years apparently. Snowboarders are fine :)

Top Bottom