• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Tabris

I am 100% serious about this.

I have this recurring nightmare where I'm wandering around King George Highway in Surrey. And I can't seem to find my way back home.

My mental picture of it is from 10-15 years ago where it has the Mohawk up the hill where the road splits into two and you have the motor homes to the left of it (if heading to the Mohawk). You're walking up hill towards the Mohawk. I don't know if my mental picture is even real.

It's a nightmare though.

I have this recurring nightmare where I'm wandering around King George Highway in Surrey. And I can't seem to find my way back home.

My mental picture of it is from 10-15 years ago where it has the Mohawk up the hill where the road splits into two and you have the motor homes to the left of it (if heading to the Mohawk). You're walking up hill towards the Mohawk. I don't know if my mental picture is even real.

It's a nightmare though.

Ayyyy lmao.

It's a nightmare though.

Such a delicate flower.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm from Surrey. We don't play with dry snitching. I'll call a square a square to his face

Plus. My penis is 12 inches. Soft

It's a nightmare though.

Ayyyy lmao.

Such a delicate flower.

:lol

SystemBug

hey guys ill be in Vancouver for 2 days - flying in from Toronto for a job interview. Do you guys know if there is anything souvenir like worth picking up for a few friends?

Firestorm

hey guys ill be in Vancouver for 2 days - flying in from Toronto for a job interview. Do you guys know if there is anything souvenir like worth picking up for a few friends?
I think there's smoked salmon at the gift shop at the airport? Otherwise random stuff from Gastown souvenir shops?

SystemBug

I think there's smoked salmon at the gift shop at the airport? Otherwise random stuff from Gastown souvenir shops?

alright ill check those out. and like actual smoked salmon? lol I don't know about that. Might be something I would want to have for dinner though

Tabris

That's mainly Canadian souvenirs and Native American art.

This may sound weird, but I recommend going to Chinatown and picking up some souvenirs there. That's more Vancouver then anything you'll find in Gastown, and you will have a harder time finding some of those things in Toronto.

Vancouver is a hip and trendy city with a good mixture of Canadian and Asian cultures. Does it have it's own unique culture that's personified in souvenirs, not really. Vancouver doesn't really have good landmarks to base souvenirs off like the CN Tower for example. Vancouver is more about living here or enjoying a quick vacation, nothing to bring home.

Otherwise, only other identifiable unique thing to Vancouver I can think of is something like a Canucks, BC Lions, or Whitecaps hat that may be harder to find in Toronto?

isny

napkin dispenser

That's right, you live in Vancouver don't you Firestorm? I'm going to be in town later this month, we should hang out sometime, it's been too long!

Do your friends like beer? Get a big 750ml bottle of something fancy from Four Winds. Damn good stuff.

Liberty4all

Banned
That's mainly Canadian souvenirs and Native American art.

This may sound weird, but I recommend going to Chinatown and picking up some souvenirs there. That's more Vancouver then anything you'll find in Gastown, and you will have a harder time finding some of those things in Toronto.

Vancouver is a hip and trendy city with a good mixture of Canadian and Asian cultures. Does it have it's own unique culture that's personified in souvenirs, not really. Vancouver doesn't really have good landmarks to base souvenirs off like the CN Tower for example. Vancouver is more about living here or enjoying a quick vacation, nothing to bring home.

Otherwise, only other identifiable unique thing to Vancouver I can think of is something like a Canucks, BC Lions, or Whitecaps hat that may be harder to find in Toronto?

RFrfBkz.jpg

The wine man. It's exquisite especially the cab francs. Anything from okanagan valley. Impossible to buy in Ontario. I'm gonna miss it SO much when I go to Alberta. Easily equal to Niagara regions best stuff. Get them wine systembug.

The bottle in the picture above is divine, about 30 bucks or so. All I've been drinking since arriving from Toronto.

SystemBug

So I managed to spend a little bit of time exploring Vancouver before I left to go back to Toronto.

Holy shit guys, your city is fucking beautiful.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Work 9-6pm minimum. Come home and stream games on Twitch till almost midnight on most days. I got no time for anything else :( I probably could live in Red Deer and be fine because of my schedule type, hahaha... as long as they got work in my industry :p

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Just came back from Fat Mao Noodles in Chinatown. Pretty good food and not too experience. It gets two thumbs up from me.

Dazzler

Pretty much over the rain at this point

Been soaked to the skin my last three soccer games, seems to always piss rain on Saturdays

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Guess I'll finally have to get a Compass card next week since they're phasing out the monthly passes. Fair Savers are still usable, or can be transferred to a compass pass, right?

On an unrelated note, is there anywhere in this city that's good for outdoor calisthenics? Looking for something to offset my usual weight training. I remember there being some archaic course near Oakridge, but I'm not sure that even exists anymore, and if it does it may well be falling apart. Mostly need something with a decent mix of cardio and bars for strength training.

Dazzler

anyone going to see Star Wars this weekend?

I'm going to Scotiabank on Thursday night, clashes with my work Christmas party too. Got some funny looks when I told them I'd be peacing out for a while to go to the movies

Seeing it on Thursday night at that crazy theater in Richmond and again on Friday night at the same theater with a larger group

RE: Compass Card - I love it.

Firestorm

Going with friends on Friday at the New Westminister theatre attached to the Skytrain station. I'm not super into Star Wars but should be fun!

isny

napkin dispenser
I'm going to be in the city next week over the holidays. Anything happening? Anyone want to hang out?! =D

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
What did you get? I went there a while ago and got the dan dan noodles. It was pretty good.

Same! I also got to catch up with some friends I haven't seen in a while. It was awesome.

What's the best theatres near Brentwood? UltraAVX or "real" IMAX? I know my Toronto theatres well, Vancouver not so much.

Real IMAX at Silvercity Riverpoint on Richmond is my suggestion. Only the climax of TFA was filmed on 70mm but I'd say give it a shot. I'll probably watch both that and The Hateful Eight once I come back.

Liberty4all

Banned
Thanks for the recommendations!

What are the chances of getting a ticket at the box office on Friday afternoon or anytime Saturday Sunday? I have a courtesy ticket.

Firestorm

Thanks for the recommendations!

What are the chances of getting a ticket at the box office on Friday afternoon or anytime Saturday Sunday? I have a courtesy ticket.

Pretty close to zero worldwide unless you want the very very front row from what I'm seeing. I'd use the courtesy ticket for another movie.

Top Bottom