• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Peterthumpa

Guys, what's the best place to buy hardware for my new rig? Online only or are there shops with decent prices somewhere around Van?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
As a twenty-something year old who'll be graduating university in 1.5 years time, it's heartbreaking that moving out of this city will be an inevitability for me.

Cheerilee

Editorial from The Province on how Vancouver has become almost impossible for families to come into the market:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/02/01/i-love-vancouver-but-it-doesnt-love-me/

inb4 Tabris with his hate of families

- Rent for a family-sized apartment costs $2000 a month. Do-able if you've got two incomes.
- Need daycare if mom's going to work. But daycare costs an additional $2000 a month. Financial prospects don't look so good.
- Mom couldn't find a job before the family's money ran out, so they had to pull the kid from daycare and she become a stay-at-home mom. Back to square one with no savings and dad paying an unaffordable $2000 a month rent.

Solution: Become a daycare.

beat

Editorial from The Province on how Vancouver has become almost impossible for families to come into the market:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/02/01/i-love-vancouver-but-it-doesnt-love-me/
This piece was garbage. All bold parts my paraphrases.

* There are almost no two-bedrooms for $2k or under in downtown. OK, this part is true.

* There are almost no affordable two-bedrooms within city limits. Demonstrably false; check Craigslist. There's over a thousand. Knock "affordable" down to $1500/month, there's still over six hundred. Did he actually look for affordable apartments?

* Oakridge isn't the left-wing, coffee-suffused paradise of the West End. So move to the Drive, or Main Street then. Or Kits.

* Oakridge isn't very beautiful, besides QE Park. QE Park is a jewel.

* At least when we moved to Oakridge, we didn't have to leave the city for the suburbs. But now he's moving to Cumberland, a town of 3,300 people. (from his comments on his blog.) How is that closer to his West End ideals than moving to a non-Oakridge neighborhood of Vancouver? This makes no sense.

I wasn't a fan of that article. There needs to be sacrifices. Why do they need two bedrooms when their daughter is still so young? Why not get a job lucrative enough to be a single-income family, eliminating the need for daycare altogether? Why do they need to be living downtown?

And seriously what's with the hate against Oakridge?

Firestorm

My family is renting out our two bedroom basement suite for $1200 in Vancouver with a park with playground a block away, elementary school four blocks away, and two high schools within a 20 minute walk away. Also it makes the dead end of a large alley leading into it that a kid can bike around and play.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My family is renting out our two bedroom basement suite for $1200 in Vancouver with a park with playground a block away, elementary school four blocks away, and two high schools within a 20 minute walk away. Also it makes the dead end of a large alley leading into it that a kid can bike around and play.

1200 for a 2-bedroom suite? That's crazy cheap, I call dibs

Tabris

I'm in Surrey right now and it's sooooo gross. I don't even know the name of where I'm at. Somewhere near 60th ave, whatever that is. Name your streets Surrey like a normal city!

I'm in Surrey right now and it's sooooo gross. I don't even know the name of where I'm at. Somewhere near 60th ave, whatever that is. Name your streets Surrey like a normal city!

Watch out, we might shank you for impeding on our drug deals!

Go back to the safe lands of Vancouver!

beat

But Vancouver also has numbered avenues?

Cheerilee

But Vancouver also has numbered avenues?

It shouldn't. It should have numbers in one direction, and letters in the other. And the letters should be alphabetized, barring City Hall incompetence (which is the reason Vancouver's street names aren't alphabetical, someone mixed them up and didn't realize they were supposed to be organized). And the letters should make words, for ease of use.

You shouldn't have to know that "lower numbers" go east-west while "higher numbers" go north-south, and the two ranges meet up somewhere near Vancouver but split farther apart as you move out away from Tabris. Just go with 1-to-10 for the X-axis and A-to-Z for the Y-axis. It's much simpler that way.

Firestorm

I think my parents already offered it to someone, sorry Smiley!

Also seriously fuck Surrey streets. If you are from Surrey and say "But it's so easy! They're all numbers!" you should be punched in the face.

Dazzler

I was in Surrey a couple weeks ago for a soccer match, the area didn't seem to bad to be honest

Was my first time ever out there

Firestorm

I wanna do the EA focus test for Mirror's Edge but 6 hours on weekdays ain't gonna work for me :( If anyone doesn't have school or work and wants to go:

Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst Gameplay Playtest
Day: Monday through Wednesday, February 8-10
Session: Time TBD by availability! Sessions will last 6 hours each day. Lots of gameplay!
Who: All gamers. Experience with Mirror’s Edge is NOT required
Reward: 4 free EA games of your choosing + EA Swag + Lunch/Dinner!

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I wanna do the EA focus test for Mirror's Edge but 6 hours on weekdays ain't gonna work for me :( If anyone doesn't have school or work and wants to go:

Signed up since I got non-important content for classes this Tuesday and a single one hour class on Wednesday morning.

Too bad the Battlefront season pass isn't one of the free stuff.

Firestorm

Signed up since I got non-important content for classes this Tuesday and a single one hour class on Wednesday morning.

Too bad the Battlefront season pass isn't one of the free stuff.
They do them somewhat often (usually just one session that's a few hours). I used to participate and sell the game for $50 or so on Craigslist. Some extra money when I was in school. You can sign up to get emails here: https://playtesting.ea.com/

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday I went to watch Boy and the World at the Rio Theatre and it was great. Only two more showings are happening at the Rio on Saturday and at VIFF next Monday. Highly recommended, pure visual and aural bliss.

That's because you weren't with me... and you're no fun ;)
You're not fun, though. You would rather play Fallout then go get some drinks with people. You can't even stomach places so by that logic you would be too high maintenance.

Vancouver is a boring city. Defenders of this boredom need to make videos to say how boring every one else is because the city is so dope.

Man, what a boring city.

Even more boring when it's cold out.

Thankfully you've been relegated to Surrey :)

Well, I still go downtown. How else am I supposed to get into clubs for free? None in Surrey. Only good thing about downtown, but then again the clubs and bars there suck but it's all lower mainland has got which is a BC problem.

Dazzler

While I can't do this, you did prompt me to visit the EA jobs page where I ended up applying for a role I'd be delighted to get, so hat tip to you

They really need to do something about Vancouver during winter. Whatever draws there were before completely disappear during Winter. Needs more quality indoor activity places.

Nether!

It's insane that people say there's nothing to do in Vancouver, this city has an amazing arts and performance scene that takes the smallest amount of effort to find out about.
Take the three minutes it takes to do a google search — there are scores of things happening every day.

MutFox

Banned
Vancouver isn't great for night life and lacks social events/activities present in even 3rd World Cities.
It's not horrible, but if you've travelled, it's hard not to compare.
Though Vancouver is in very close proximity to great outdoor areas.

If you love the outdoors, it's the place to be.
Some of it can be expensive, but a lot of it is not.
Can't wait to go dirt biking soon. :p

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Well, I still go downtown. How else am I supposed to get into clubs for free? None in Surrey. Only good thing about downtown, but then again the clubs and bars there suck but it's all lower mainland has got which is a BC problem.

you're a girl, aren't you

Top Bottom