• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

I tend to buy stuff at Express and Banana Republic.

I'm sad the J. Crew stores in Canada don't have men sections? what the shit.. that was a surprise when I got here.

I also wear some Lacoste items.

I'm not too much of a fan of H&M. That is one step too hipster for me.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

I'm sad the J. Crew stores in Canada don't have men sections? what the shit.. that was a surprise when I got here.

I recently bought a J.Crew men's jacket in the new Richmond outlet sooooo

lupin23rd

The Pacific Centre location of J. Crew is a women-only store, but the Robson Street location has a mens section upstairs.

beat

H&M and Zara are "fast fashion". Cheap stuff, fashionable, not very durable.

Uniqlo also has a low price point, but they do volume basics: huge volumes of staples made from good quality fabrics. Well, plus lots of fun prints on T-shirts.

And Urban Planet used to sell (do they still) quasi-knockoff Ecko clothes branded as "Exco".

robox

vancouver clothing brands, like based in vancouver:

arcteryx
lululemon
wings + horns
reigning champ
dish du/er jeans

arcteryx
lululemon
wings + horns
reigning champ
dish du/er jeans

That's if you actually care. I would seek assistance if you actually care. The wealthier people I know honestly don't give a shit and buy whatever.

Tabris

I just signed the offer letter for my place. The market is absolutely insane here.

I had a 4 offer bidding war.

$45k over list price (which was a bit high already), no subjects, close date in a week, and all cash transaction.

And it was a foreign investor, from China.

Hopefully the market doesn't explode in the next year even more so I can afford to upgrade when I'm back from Asia, but market is hot right now. I can't imagine what it's like selling a detached home right now. MutFox, you may want to look into selling your place now depending on inventory in your area.

Firestorm

Nice! Congrats. I'm kinda looking around. Is there some decent articles I can read on pros/cons of pre-sales? I keep getting mixed answers from people on them... I do like the idea of a new building but yeah.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I just signed the offer letter for my place. The market is absolutely insane here.

I had a 4 offer bidding war.

$45k over list price (which was a bit high already), no subjects, close date in a week, and all cash transaction.

And it was a foreign investor, from China.

Hopefully the market doesn't explode in the next year even more so I can afford to upgrade when I'm back from Asia, but market is hot right now. I can't imagine what it's like selling a detached home right now. MutFox, you may want to look into selling your place now depending on inventory in your area.

Oh wow nice. Mind telling me what's your listing price ? I bought my current place below market price because I was able to avoid a bidding war. My agent was a big help in that so I totally appreciated that. Did not want to get into a bidding war which I cannot afford.

Tabris

Nice! Congrats. I'm kinda looking around. Is there some decent articles I can read on pros/cons of pre-sales? I keep getting mixed answers from people on them... I do like the idea of a new building but yeah.

Pre-sales works like this. Developer sets a price and you have to either pay upfront or put a considerable down payment. This may be like a year or even more before you can actually move in. You have to pay GST but don't have to pay property tax (still ends up costing more), so ensure you factor in 5% on top of price. You usually get to pick options for your unit, such as you may elect to get better appliances or a different flooring, etc - all up to the builder and what options they provide for different prices. Then you have to sit on the unit until you can move in. While not common in Vancouver, you may have issues come up during development that drop the property value but you're already locked in, but that's rare in Vancouver.

Pre-sales are for people with a lot of capital, because you can't rent it out or live in it, so it doesn't cash flow for you at all, it's just about equity. So if you are thinking of buying, and you can't buy with cash, consider your mortgage + the rent for the time you have to wait.

Oh, and a lot of pre-sales in Vancouver, especially the good properties are so hot that you often need to wait in line, like you were buying a PS3 or Wii on launch day.

EDIT - Oh, thanks on the congrats :)

Oh wow nice. Mind telling me what's your listing price ? I bought my current place below market price because I was able to avoid a bidding war. My agent was a big help in that so I totally appreciated that. Did not want to get into a bidding war which I cannot afford.

It's all about timing with the market and inventory. Woodwards is extremely hot right. We had 60 people see my place over 4 hours (spread out over 2 days). I watched the market closely to determine when to strike. It may get hotter but I doubt it, because a bit under $650k for a 650 sqft 1 bedroom is on the high end. At a certain point, you get to a price point that doesn't work for 1 bedrooms and you need to get to a 2 bedroom.

I'm pretty sure Brentwood area has a decent inventory so the demand may not be high enough to generate bidding wars, which is good for you for buying but you probably need to wait until 2020 (when all the Brentwood developments are done as I know it's phased over that time) before your market becomes extremely hot for a good time to sell.

I got this in the mail from a real estate agent about 2 months ago and laughed

12239466_10153613411700399_1096135284626116044_n.jpg

Insane.

NetMapel

It's all about timing with the market and inventory. Woodwards is extremely hot right. We had 60 people see my place over 4 hours (spread out over 2 days). I watched the market closely to determine when to strike. It may get hotter but I doubt it, because a bit under $650k for a 650 sqft 1 bedroom is on the high end. At a certain point, you get to a price point that doesn't work for 1 bedrooms and you need to get to a 2 bedroom.

I'm pretty sure Brentwood area has a decent inventory so the demand may not be high enough to generate bidding wars, which is good for you for buying but you probably need to wait until 2020 (when all the Brentwood developments are done as I know it's phased over that time) before your market becomes extremely hot for a good time to sell.

Oh yeah, of course I don't have any plans to sell the place for quite a number of years. I want to be able to enjoy the new Brentwood mall development myself as well ! I'm lucky that I got the current place I have though because I was there at the right time. Right after I put in a formal offer to lock it down, the selling agent said he got 15+ calls for interest. However, since I locked it down already, there was nothing he could do ! I'm very pleased with this :)

robox

That's if you actually care. I would seek assistance if you actually care. The wealthier people I know honestly don't give a shit and buy whatever.

well.... duhhhhhhh

this is the vancouver thread. people are talking about clothes. so i merely presented a list of options that you can show some hometown pride with. these brands' designs are influenced by stereotypical vancouver lifestyle: outdoorsy, physically-active, yoga-loving, relaxed yuppie hipsterness. price points are close to j-crew, which has been mentioned above.

Regarding pre-sales, I know someone who bought at Telus Garden. The apartments there have been pushed back about a year now, and it's still not ready. It sucks because they've been renting while waiting, and have essentially paid an extra year's rent.

A nearby house is listed for $2M. It's old and in a poor location so it's overpriced, but could still be sold around that amount.

MutFox

Banned

I was contemplating it, but people at work were saying I'd be stupid to sell right now.
The place went up 200k from last year and being on the North Shore, they said it's gonna go up a lot.

I'll probably wait a few years since I'm in no hurry at the mo... :p

Dazzler

arcteryx
lululemon
wings + horns
reigning champ
dish du/er jeans

There's a reigning champ store on 4th ave in Kits near my apartment and the clothes are all simple sweaters, jackets and sweats priced outrageously high

They're indistinguishable from clothes you could pick up at H&M for a fraction of the price. I just don't get it

Tabris

By the time Tabris comes back he'll only be able to afford a place in Surrey.

Nah I think I'll be good. Hoping to still have enough for down payment for an $800k place after my trip. I think it'll still be an upgrade.

But maybe I'll want to buy in Brentwood to upgrade cause housing market explodes. NetMapel how much was your place if you don't mind me asking?

But Surrey? Come on now. I rather live in a cubical then live in Surrey. In a Japanese space pod hotel room then Surrey.

Well there is a chance I go crazy, go broke in Asia, and have to live in a Surrey slum basement suite :O

NetMapel

I don't know how Tabris is going to survive Bangkok and so on if he thinks Surrey is extremely dangerous though.

Tabris

This is old news. It's the same study that was reported on a while ago where all he did was just looking at the names of the person purchasing and finding "non-anglesized" mainland Chinese names. It's a pretty racist way of conducting the study. When 30% of our demographics is from China in the first place, and 85% are still using a mortgage which means they have a credit history here, that shows that 70% number is going to be off.

So there's definitely a reality (I experienced it where foreign investment buyers blew everyone else off in offers to get my place), but this study is inflating the numbers. Also not sure how many of them are actually unoccupied because it seems to be a common trend for mainland Chinese parents to send their kids to school in Vancouver (UBC, Vancouver Film School) and buy them a house or apartment here.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This is old news. It's the same study that was reported on a while ago where all he did was just looking at the names of the person purchasing and finding "non-anglesized" mainland Chinese names. It's a pretty racist way of conducting the study. When 30% of our demographics is from China in the first place, and 85% are still using a mortgage which means they have a credit history here, that shows that 70% number is going to be off.

So there's definitely a reality (I experienced it where foreign investment buyers blew everyone else off in offers to get my place), but this study is inflating the numbers. Also not sure how many of them are actually unoccupied because it seems to be a common trend for mainland Chinese parents to send their kids to school in Vancouver (UBC, Vancouver Film School) and buy them a house or apartment here.

a) well, the name analysis they used is what's commonly used in studies like this so that's just what it is

b) if they buy their kids an apartment, that's still foreign investors buying it...

c) the unoccupied claim is based on whatever primary occupation they indicated. majority was homeowner/housewive, so that's that. (of those that DID indicate anything)

d) I can have a credit history in the US without living there too ya know. I mean, I have credit history in Switzerland, Canada AND the US.

I've been contemplating universities in Vancouver recently and reading up the state of the housing market has been quite worrying. Is it going to be super expensive to rent a 1 bedroom apartment over there? I guess I should look closely at other cities...

Dazzler

I've been low key wanting to move out of a shared two bedroom apartment for a while now, but I seem to be grandfathered in at a rate lower than what the current market average is, so I stay put for that reason

Rents have for sure noticeably gone up in the last two years

Tabris

Rent is fine. It's vacancy and salaries that are low in comparison.

You'd pay more rent in San Francisco but you make so much more.

The affordability on the rent side in SF is worse then Vancouver. When looking at the 2 affordability scales. Salary to Rent, and Salary to Buying. The Salary to Rent margin in SF is absolutely one of the worst in the world, while the margin is much better for buying compared to Vancouver due to the higher salaries. The higher salaries don't factor when a decent 1 bedroom downtown costs $4000/mo to rent.

Vancouver is actually semi-decent for rent. $2000/mo for a decent 1 bedroom downtown.

Where it's overblown is from Salary to Buy. Salaries are a decent amount lower (slowly increasing in Vancouver though), but property prices are very high right now. That's the speculation and foreign investment part driving it up, with little of that turning into rental units due to the low rental market.

Smiley90

You can get decent 1BR apartments starting at 1000/month if you look somewhere not downtown. Rent is okay, I agree. I mean it's high but not as insane as purchase prices

Dazzler

I don't think you can.

Well, your definition of "decent" is probably quite different from your average Vancouver Gaffer :)

I know several people who have nice one bedroom units that come in at less than $1,000 per month. Both in Kitsilano for reference

Smiley90

I don't think you can.

Well, your definition of "decent" is probably quite different from your average Vancouver Gaffer :)

I know several people who have nice one bedroom units that come in at less than $1,000 per month. Both in Kitsilano for reference

Given that I said "outside of downtown" and for you, probably nothing outside of downtown would be considered "decent", I'm gonna go with Dazzler here. lol

Firestorm

If you try to live right beside UBC you'll be gouged. Dorm in your first year then find a one bedroom or move in with friends for second year. UBC has several bus lines leading to it which will let you find decent basement suites and such. SFU is in North Burnaby or Surrey (or downtown I guess) which gives you better rates as well while staying close.

Smiley90

If you try to live right beside UBC you'll be gouged. Dorm in your first year then find a one bedroom or move in with friends for second year. UBC has several bus lines leading to it which will let you find decent basement suites and such. SFU is in North Burnaby or Surrey (or downtown I guess) which gives you better rates as well while staying close.

plenty of cheap places for SFU students, Surrey/North Burnaby/Burquitlam/New West/Coquitlam are all within 30-45min transit time

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It'll be interesting to see what happens with prices over the next year or so. At some point, China is going to have to start getting strict with capital controls, probably sooner rather than later. In 2015, something like 1-2 times the equivalent of Taiwan's GDP flowed out of the country. China can't allow that much to flow out that fast forever, especially with how quickly their economy is slowing down. Moreover, there's the $28 trillion debt bomb they have ticking away there.

My guess is that foreign investors from there will double down and get their money out of China as fast as they can before the government makes a concerted effort to clamp down, resulting in prices continuing to rise here.

The concern I have now is potential for a heightened brain drain as cost of living continues to go up and our dollar stays weak. People wonder why there aren't enough nurses here, but who can blame them when they can't afford a place, and could just as well take their expertise to a part of the world that pays them in a currency that's actually worth something.

Dazzler

It'll be interesting to see what happens with prices over the next year or so. At some point, China is going to have to start getting strict with capital controls, probably sooner rather than later. In 2015, something like 1-2 times the equivalent of Taiwan's GDP flowed out of the country. China can't allow that much to flow out that fast forever, especially with how quickly their economy is slowing down. Moreover, there's the $28 trillion debt bomb they have ticking away there.

My guess is that foreign investors from there will double down and get their money out of China as fast as they can before the government makes a concerted effort to clamp down, resulting in prices continuing to rise here.

The concern I have now is potential for a heightened brain drain as cost of living continues to go up and our dollar stays weak. People wonder why there aren't enough nurses here, but who can blame them when they can't afford a place, and could just as well take their expertise to a part of the world that pays them in a currency that's actually worth something.

I've begun to ask myself in down moments why I stay in Vancouver and live paycheck to paycheck when I could move home to Dublin and live comfortably

If I didn't have a girlfriend and a group of friends I'd find it hard to leave behind, I think I'd have gone for it already

plenty of cheap places for SFU students, Surrey/North Burnaby/Burquitlam/New West/Coquitlam are all within 30-45min transit time

I'm glad I went to SFU. I could be at City Center in five minutes, Burnaby in thirty minutes, and downtown (Harbour Center/Segal) in forty. UBC takes me nearly ninety minutes to get there, start to finish.

Top Bottom