• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Cheerilee

Voters who are unwilling to pay for this via their income tax. How else are they supposed to fund it?

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/99-stupid-things-the-government-did-with-your-money-part-i/

The City of Abbotsford, B.C. handed a $115,000 “one-time grant” to a struggling municipal golf course, claiming its problems stem, in part, from poor weather. In a report, city staff said “good weather” was among the things “being worked on” to turn it around.

A big part of fiscal conservatism is "smaller government". People expect their government to focus on the things that really matter, but that's hard when the guy at the top hands out billions of dollars to dozens of department heads, who each then hand out hundreds of millions to dozens of sub-department heads, who then hand out tens of millions to dozens of sub-sub department heads, and so on, until one branch of the government can't afford ambulances in Maple Ridge, while another is trying to find creative ways to bury a pile of excess cash without the public finding out.

Please don't link Vancitybuzz. Any modicum of credibility they had went out the door when they posted that "story" about the tourists taking pictures at Pacific Centre.

Cheerilee

Please don't link Vancitybuzz. Any modicum of credibility they had went out the door when they posted that "story" about the tourists taking pictures at Pacific Centre.

Vancitybuzz got the ball rolling, but there was plenty of journalism fail to go around.

Check out Global News publishing their faces unblurred and talking about a police "press conference" to spread the info (yeah, I'm sure Global didn't just copy/paste this info from Vancitybuzz), as well as interviewing a security expert to ask why the police are letting the public handle this investigation instead of taking care of it behind-the-scenes like they usually do.

http://globalnews.ca/video/2456464/...in-suspicious-incident-at-pacific-centre-mall

I hopped over to CBC to see if they were any better, and yay, they were smart enough to blur the faces.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...olice-men-video-pacific-centre-mall-1.3405011

But then I see the fine print "CBC originally published this photo showing the faces of men seen taking video and pictures at Pacific Centre mall".

Dazzler

Van City Buzz is such a trash website

I've blocked them from appearing on my FB feed because jeez do people like to link to their clickbait nonsense

I use lightspeed

They use shaw cable but are much, MUCH cheaper. and have unlimited.

i agree that IF you can, get Novus.

How is Lightspeed?

Could you fill me in on some details? are you happy with the service? customer service any good?

Consistent internet speed? Decent speed? Any outages? How often if any?

Looks like I will otherwise settle with Shaw, since Novus is not available in my building.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How is Lightspeed?

Could you fill me in on some details? are you happy with the service? customer service any good?

Consistent internet speed? Decent speed? Any outages? How often if any?

Looks like I will otherwise settle with Shaw, since Novus is not available in my building.

Internet speed is as promised, so that's about as good as it gets. Haven't had outages and if there had been, it was probably shaw's fault (since they use shaw cable)

Basically, lightspeed is much cheaper than shaw but otherwise identical to it. The drawback is that they have to do all their servicing through shaw, so IF there is a problem, there's a middleman which makes things sadly take a bit longer.

But if you want shaw internet for cheaper, get lightspeed. basically. :p

Tabris

tabris is surprisingly accurate

I have a feeling Smiley doesn't know what that's a play on, but if he does...

Love_Connection.jpg

Peterthumpa

Holy shit.

I'm finally moving to Vancouver next week and was looking forward to attend a Canucks match, but how the heck minimum price for a decent seat is approx. 200 CAD? Is that correct?

Edit - also, completely unrelated, but I'm still debating between Rogers and Wind as my wireless carrier. Mostly for data usage. I know that Wind is cheaper but their services are far from reliable in some areas. What about Metro Vancouver? Good enough?

Firestorm

Good enough especially with Shaw Open around. Still not as fast as Rogers. I recommend going Wind and if you don't like it, swap to Rogers.

Does "decent" mean "lower bowl"? Depending on the game you want to watch, prices are actually quite reasonable nowadays since the team is mediocre. A weekday game against a smaller market team could be $60-70 a ticket in the lower bowl.

Peterthumpa

Does "decent" mean "lower bowl"? Depending on the game you want to watch, prices are actually quite reasonable nowadays since the team is mediocre. A weekday game against a smaller market team could be $60-70 a ticket in the lower bowl.
Lower bowl should be good enough I guess. Problem is that I'm not exactly a NHL fan, so not even sure which teams are big or small. Time to figure it out I guess.

Holy shit.

I'm finally moving to Vancouver next week and was looking forward to attend a Canucks match, but how the heck minimum price for a decent seat is approx. 200 CAD? Is that correct?

Edit - also, completely unrelated, but I'm still debating between Rogers and Wind as my wireless carrier. Mostly for data usage. I know that Wind is cheaper but their services are far from reliable in some areas. What about Metro Vancouver? Good enough?

I bought 6 Stub Hub tickets for the Canucks vs the Stars back in early December for 65ish each.

Lower Bowl seats.

Smiley90

Lower bowl should be good enough I guess. Problem is that I'm not exactly a NHL fan, so not even sure which teams are big or small. Time to figure it out I guess.

Lower bowl is more expensive so why would you say "good enough" - those are the most expensive seats in the house :p if you dont know what teams are big or small then just get tickets for a cheap game on stubhub, that'll be your best bet for sure

Tabris

I really miss this, as scalpers caught wind and just eat the costs, probably because of people like me. But we used to watch the 1st period at my place, then go downstairs and offer the scalpers ridiculous low prices and they would often take it. Like 25 bucks for lower bowl seats, back when Canucks were president trophy winning team. And at the very worst if negotiations didn't work, we would just go upstairs before 2nd period started.

But now too many people did that where it's more profitable for them to eat the cost and force people to come down before and pay full price.

Über to return in the future?????? I'm kind of happy about it!

I'm the reason for this. I sent an email back in November about Uber and got this response:

Thank you for your email which has been circulated to the Mayor, and Vancouver City Council.

Correspondence Group
City Clerk's I City of Vancouver
mayorandcouncil@vancouver.ca

Thank you for contacting our office, your message has been received.

Sincerely,

Linda M. Hepner
Mayor
City of Surrey

Peterthumpa

Thanks for the tips guys. Need more info though, what's the best store for cloth shopping? Just realized that there's Zara (which is considered good here).

Anything else worth checking? I'm coming from the south hemisphere so I'll definitely need to buy some winter clothes.

RC

Banned
Thanks for the tips guys. Need more info though, what's the best store for cloth shopping? Just realized that there's Zara (which is considered good here).

Anything else worth checking? I'm coming from the south hemisphere so I'll definitely need to buy some winter clothes.

Old Navy. Don't let these pretentious douchebags tell you otherwise.

Urban Outfitters I guess. Gotta look the part in this city.

If you just want cheap clothes: Old Navy and Wal-Mart

If you want brand names and more selection: The Bay.

If you want fitted clothes at decent prices: Zara, H&M, Top Man, Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle, Armani Exchange.

For dress clothes: Banana Republic

RC

Banned

If you want fitted clothes at decent prices: Zara, H&M, Top Man, Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle, Armani Exchange.

Sears is a better choice for dress clothes. They have pretty regular sales.

But probably not the best option if you're tall.
I can never find a damn dress shirt with 37 length arms.

Tabris

And I don't have the credit limit for all the needlessly expensive crap you would pick out for me.

Nordstroms and Holt Renfrew isn't crazy.

We do need more better department stores though. With us being such as a centre for Asian culture, maybe an Isetan department store opening up here. I rather have that then The Bay.

RC

Banned
Nordstroms and Holt Renfrew isn't crazy.

We do need more better department stores though. With us being such as a centre for Asian culture, maybe an Isetan department store opening up here. I rather have that then The Bay.

Isetan?

Make sure you take a pic of one on your Asia trip.
I for one can't wait for your envitable vacation thread.

Smiley90

Also cheap: Urban Planet
Also decent: Tommy Hilfiger

Also I hope turdbris was joking about thinking he was the only one to contact vancouver about uber... But I never know.

Firestorm

I think I said it before in this thread but literally every time I hear of a store downtown closing down there are rumours of Uniqlo yet it hasn't come here yet... It's a nice H&Mish store. I usually H&M it for something if I need it as it's cheap and does the job well enough. Jeans I just get from Sears or The Bay when they have Levis on sale.

Tech industry baby.

I think I said it before in this thread but literally every time I hear of a store downtown closing down there are rumours of Uniqlo yet it hasn't come here yet... It's a nice H&Mish store. I usually H&M it for something if I need it as it's cheap and does the job well enough. Jeans I just get from Sears or The Bay when they have Levis on sale.

Tech industry baby.

We got a Uniqlo down here in the Seattle-metro. Too bad it's in fucking Bellevue.

I'm really surprised Vancouver and Seattle don't have Muji yet. I love that place and stock up on clothes when I've been in Japan or Spain.

Cheerilee

For clothes, take a quick glance at Winners.

Do you remember that Simpsons episode where Marge found an expensive dress for cheap at some outlet mall in Ogdenville? That's Winners.

Selection is terrible, but you might get lucky and find something nice in your size for cheap.

Dazzler

The time required to dig out potential gems at Winners just isn't worth it for me, most of the stuff they sale is shit-tier

Cheerilee

The time required to dig out potential gems at Winners just isn't worth it for me, most of the stuff they sale is shit-tier

I got my jacket there. Saved a bunch of money and got a significant quality upgrade over anything I was considering elsewhere.

I wouldn't advise flipping through their racks of shirts/pants though. Just too many items, most of them being the wrong fit, and they're low-dollar items so you don't even save that much if you do find something.

I usually just do one quick circle of the store and then leave.

Edit: Oh and, don't bother with Value Village. They're a used clothing/thrift store, but their prices have been going up for years, to the point where now they have used clothing that sometimes costs more than it did new. It used to be the place where the homeless got their clothes, but now it's the place where hipsters pay a premium so that they can dress like homeless people.

Top Bottom