• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

adversesolutions said:
7ee9a0be.jpg

Sad Hydeqi agrees!

Where is this even from? :lol

dwebo

fan review said:
Weapon variety is pretty disappointing. There aren't many and you'll discover all of them within the first hour. Not to mention a chunk of them are pretty useless.
Well... that's kind of a bummer. Also doesn't sound like there's much in the way of unlockables.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeitgeister said:
Just about any SNES or Genesis game disgrees with you.
(and everything earlier or arcade or whatever)

And I didn't like buying those games either for $60~$80 bucks - i got any game which had extremely short gameplay in the bargain bin or years, years down the line when it was cheap. The games I generally purchased on those platforms were RPGs which were known to give me the value for my buck, or multiplayer games which are replayable. This was even more important because I was younger then and didn't have as much disposable income as I have now. If a single player game was short it had to be based around the idea of replays, either by mixing it up on successive run throughs or by incentivizing replays in some significant way (i.e. Mirror's Edge).

Zeitgeister said:
Hell, Modern Warfare 2 is a 6 hour game. And the MP sucks balls. And the hottest piece of action in economics terms since I-dont-know-what. And let's not even get started on Halo... or god of war...

Ridiculous. Modern Warfare and Halo have some of the most replayable multiplayer modes of any console title ever made. Their "campaigns" are hardly even the point, though they themselves are longer than 4 hours. It's ALL about the multiplayer in those titles. On Modern Warfare I sunk like 60 hours and in Halo...over the years? maybe 200 hours.

Vanquish does not have that appeal.

Zeitgeister said:
How fitting that this "hourly rate" should turn out to be a valid argument when it suit your interests...

I do mean that though. hourly rates are not a good argument either, at all.

I am extremely consistent with my opinions on this. There are a billion quality games that aren't short that are $60. I'm not going to waste my money buying $60 games that don't meet this simple standard. Note that I make a ton of money and easily COULD if I wanted to. I just don't think it's a good value.

It's like the dumbasses who say "why can't you just go enjoy a brainless popcorn movie!?" And my response is always "because there are plenty of popcorn movies with brains that I can enjoy too."

Lowering standards is for jerks.

Anyway, fortunately for Vanquish, I have a $25 dollar off coupon, so it's still getting purchased. Horray for game deals.

Khalid-S

photob5246.jpg

Got it yesterday and I'm enjoying it!! I started the game on "Hard" difficulty after reading about how short the game is. First Act on hard took me about an hour or so (died a lot). But I kinda dislike how repetitive the game is.

Finaika

Khalid-S said:
photob5246.jpg

Got it yesterday and I'm enjoying it!! I started the game on "Hard" difficulty after reading about how short the game is. First Act on hard took me about an hour or so (died a lot). But I kinda dislike how repetitive the game is.
WTF its out?!

robor

You know for me, 4 hours is perfect but that means I have to be at the top of my game (which I won't be) so it'll end up being 8 hours. Damn.

That fan review actually has me pretty down on the game. Post completion content sounds severely lacking especially coming from the man who directed RE4, and the lack of weapons and NO suit upgrades is super disappointing.

Animator

Net_Wrecker said:
That fan review actually has me pretty down on the game. Post completion content sounds severely lacking especially coming from the man who directed RE4, and the lack of weapons and NO suit upgrades is super disappointing.

Same here. I think I am moving my vanquish preorder to black ops and renting this.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think this game might bomb hard. It is # 328 games seller at amazon right now (360) ps3 is like 220. Castlevania released at like # 30 for comparison.

~Kinggi~ said:
I think this game might bomb hard. It is # 328 games seller at amazon right now (360) ps3 is like 220. Castlevania released at like # 30 for comparison.
No one expects it to set the charts on fire.

CaptYamato said:
No one expects in to set the charts on fire.
Yeah, I think everyone including the development team had this expectation.

This is a game designed for the hardcore, as they will be the ones to get the most out of it. Lack of suit upgrades and additional content (like Bayonetta) are downers for me, but I will definitely be replaying this game a boatload.

Also, the only weapon that I can really consider useless is the Disk Launcher. Other than that, all of them are pretty useful. The second demo contains all of the weapons in the base game. (Obviously excluding DLC.)

Dead

well not really...yet
Net_Wrecker said:
Thats pretty disappointing if true... :\

bhytre

Game's about six hours and a half on a normal run with all cutscenes, on a steady pace and with occasional deaths. The in-game timer doesn't count the cutscenes or the parts you died before retrying, which is what Gameinformer used I think, and prolly in easy mode.

ezekial45

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:

I seem to recall reading that there was one major suit upgrade in the game. Weird.

It was from an interview with Mikami.

ezekial45 said:
I seem to recall reading that there was one major suit upgrade in the game. Weird.

It was from an interview with Mikami.
He did say that.

Edit: More specifily, he said that near the end of the game he would get an upgrade.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
bhytre said:
Game's about six hours and a half on a normal run with all cutscenes, on a steady pace and with occasional deaths. The in-game timer doesn't count the cutscenes or the parts you died before retrying, which is what Gameinformer used I think, and prolly in easy mode.

oh so I ended up being right about that. :lol

Real disappointed about lack of post game though

Beezy

Damn. If the game really is that short and hardly has any extra content besides harder difficulties, I might pass on it for now and get it when it's cheap. Still waiting for more reviews though.

ezekial45

Banned
Despera said:
Finally, game is in the house!

*reads the last few comments*

way to kill my excitement guys :(
Play the game and tell us if it's true or not. Maybe the guy meant minor upgrades, not the major one.

Dead

well not really...yet
WickedLaharl said:
might have to rethink my purchase and just regulate vanquish to a rental. a short campaign is one thing but the lack of post game content is another.
Seriously, I was hoping that this was going to be Mikami's equivalent of Bayonetta in terms of content :(

WickedLaharl said:
might have to rethink my purchase and just regulate vanquish to a rental. a short campaign is one thing but the lack of post game content is another.

I don't do renting, but the lack of post game content pushes this from "DAY ONE!" to "Black Friday when it's $30-$40." I was beginning to accept the short length of the campaign, but I figured there was going to be tons of unlockable weapons, upgrades, skins, challenge maps, etc. So disappointing.

My excitement for Vanquish still exists. The four-to-six hours is somewhat sad, but I'll be renting it. So, the short length is not a problem for a time-strap college student! :D

yencid

Fuck that shit im not rethinking my purchase, im still hyped as can be about this game man. Ill be the judge myself, hell i know how the interenet is always over reacting about quality and stuff (some of my favorite games: Kingdom hearts, Darksiders, Warhawk among other things. Games that not everyone likes and opinions vary greatly from person to person but if i had listened about those games i would have never gotten to play them) Im still in the hype train man. Cant wait fo monday morning!

Persona7 said:
I prefer short and sweet as opposed to long and bloated.

Bigger question is...What should I get with the 20$ credit?

is there no middle ground? like, ya know, long and sweet.

seriously i wanna help P* out by giving them a sale but a short campaign that reuses bosses, has a meager weapon selection, and no unlockables kinda makes this a hard choice. especially with so many other games on the horizon.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Game preordered! I was kind of out of the loop regarding the hype for this game but this being a PG games and the first demo being what it is...

Well, I'm using zavvi for the first time ever. The crazy cheap price is kind of making me worried for the transport... Any experiences from people ordering from them to continental europe? :lol What are the usual delivery times? Should I expect getting raped by the customs?

Hopefully, I'll be playing this next week end :D

Danneee

Adam J. said:
It's really sad to see the hype for this game diminish. I'm still excited...

My hype is just rising:lol
I'll be able to add this to the list of games I actually complete (in contrast to RDR which I'll soon trade in for something else, riding a horse in the desert 70% of the game, yeah that's fun..).

robor

Wait a sec, I'm hearing no suit upgrades....didn't Mikami himself say there were going to be suit upgrades?

panda21

is it possible the guy just didnt unlock that stuff yet?

7 1/2 hours sounds fine to me, especially if the core gameplay is good and it seems replayable, especially if there are multiple hard difficulty levels (there are right?)

and 10 levels for each weapon is a decent amount of upgrades..

Wikzo

hudk9s6.jpg

I have been thinking about the text "MAIN" right to the weapon name. What does this mean? In both demoes the text never changes, so I was wondering if this hints about weapons upgrades or something similar.

Pooya

lucablight said:
I guess they really did only have 8 hours to stop THAT from happening!
approximately 8 hours to be precise! that's what Col. Burns said in the trailer!.

Wikzo said:
I have been thinking about the text "MAIN" right to the weapon name. What does this mean? In both demoes the text never changes, so I was wondering if this hints about weapons upgrades or something similar.
haven't really paid attention to that, I think it always shows your currently equipped weapon, pointless if it is just this though.

By suit upgrade I think they mean what we saw on some mag covers where Sam has some kind of jet armor strapped onto his back.
I played both demos way more than I should so I'll probably dig in some extra hours on challenge and God mode.

Eccocid

i make tons of money and i dont see any problem for paying 60 bucks for a short game. heck i even paid more for one hour joy rides in thailand lol. at least with game u get something to put in to your shelf.

Dave1988

Eccocid said:
i make tons of money and i dont see any problem for paying 60 bucks for a short game. heck i even paid more for one hour joy rides in thailand lol. at least with game u get something to put in to your shelf.

Good for you. Too bad not everyone is made out of cash like you.

robor

All I care about is kick ass pacing and level design, if Mikami can deliver that like he should, then 4 hours is fine. Portal is one of my fav games of all time and part of the reason why is because it's 3 hours long. I like short games, bring em on!

Top Bottom