• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Dark FaZe said:
3760_v.gif

He didn't say long and drawn out.

Edit: Damn rotating avatars.

Shurs

robor said:
All I care about is kick ass pacing and level design, if Mikami can deliver that like he should, then 4 hours is fine. Portal is one of my fav games of all time and part of the reason why is because it's 3 hours long. I like short games, bring em on!

Portal doesn't cost $60. Not that it matters, it just seems like a ridiculous comparison.

Eccocid

Dave1988 said:
Good for you. Too bad not everyone is made out of cash like you.

What i try to mean is 60 is spent on a video game is just a stupidly spent money anyway. It doesnt matter if it is 6 hours or 16 hours. It is all for the experience and the joy you get not the length of it.

robor

Shurs said:
Portal doesn't cost $60. Not that it matters, it just seems like a ridiculous comparison.

Woooah, no don't get me wrong, if it is $60 and it is only 4 hours in length (I find this overreaching itself, I've got a feeling it has 40 hrs, depends how you look at it.) it's not worth that price tag, it should be reduced in that case.

I was generally stating that I actually like shorter games regardless of price tags.

Eccocid said:
What i try to mean is 60 is spent on a video game is just a stupidly spent money anyway. It doesnt matter if it is 6 hours or 16 hours. It is all for the experience and the joy you get not the length of it.

So you'd be happy to pay the same price for one episode from a show as you would for a full-feature length film?

Just sayin'

Eccocid

robor said:
Woooah, no don't get me wrong, if it is $60 and it is only 4 hours in length (I find this overreaching itself, I've got a feeling it has 40 hrs, depends how you look at it.) it's not worth that price tag, it should be reduced in that case.

I was generally stating that I actually like shorter games regardless of price tags.

So you'd be happy to pay the same price for one episode from a show as you would for a full-feature length film?

Just sayin'

When i feel like it i can pay whole money in my pocket just for a nice meal which would make me feel good. Even tho i am broke i do that sometimes without thinking tomorrow.
For example i never regret paying a lot of money for a good dining. It is a choice, when it comes to shop for clothes i am like "uh thats so expensive and i dont need t i guess".

robor

Eccocid said:
When i feel like it i can pay whole money in my pocket just for a nice meal which would make me feel good. Even tho i am broke i do that sometimes without thinking tomorrow.
For example i never regret paying a lot of money for a good dining. It is a choice, when it comes to shop for clothes i am like "uh thats so expensive and i dont need t i guess".

Ah I see where you're going with this: perceived value. I'm same as you, except I pay for more expensive clothes and I'm pretty cheap on dining.

I'm kinda like that with guitars too. I'm planning to save up for an $8000 guitar for example :lol

duckroll

robor said:

Just sayin'

Yeah actually I would. It depends on the material, not the length. I've bought anime OVAs from Japan which cost like 50-60 bucks for a single 30 minute episode. I'm certainly annoyed if I pay for it and the show ends up sucking, but that has nothing to do with the length.

hamchan

If I had to choose between a game that's awesome and long or a game that's awesome and short I would probably pick the former.

robor

hamchan said:
If I had to choose between a game that's awesome and long or a game that's awesome and short I would probably pick the former.

Awesome and long is pretty rare for me.

hamchan

robor said:
Awesome and long is pretty rare for me.

Hmm now that I think about it, for me, it doesn't have to be long for me to place down $60. I thought Uncharted 2 and Batman last year were both awesome and had pretty good lengths, not too long and not too short.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
miladesn said:
last awesome and long game was Resident Evil 4, nothing like that since then.

Castlevania LOS. Hey it has a bad FPS and some amateurish mistakes, but its very enjoyable. And lengthy.

lucablight said:
I guess they really did only have 8 hours to stop THAT from happening!
I know, right? Everyone's complaining about the length when the duration of this entire game has been spelled out to us from the get-go. :lol

Relix said:
Castlevania LOS. Hey it has a bad FPS and some amateurish mistakes, but its very enjoyable. And lengthy.
Red Dead Redemption! Hello?

Anyway, I get the feeling that more DLC is planned for this game. I really wouldn't be surprised to see some new stuff pop up.

Pooya

I like RDR but the game is quite repetitive and most of missions are same thing, the game is lengthy mostly because you have to ride a lot, it doesn't compare with RE4, you face new things in every chapter and the game has excellent pacing over the entire game. The only other long and lengthy game I can think of is Half-Life 2 but pacing wasn't good and there were some unnecessarily long vehicle sections (air boat specifically, car was fine) but it's close, Ep2 is great but it's really short. Everything else I've played is either way shorter or boringly long (excluding RPGs of course). enough OT talk though, move along!!

Katana_Strikes said:
Just cancelled my pre-order. I'll just wait until it comes down in price... further.

Kmart is offering a 20 dollar gift card and if you buy the game, you can purchase the new Castlevania for 30 bucks.

I'm buying both Vanquish and New Vegas cuz Kmart offers 20 dollar gift cards with them. I'll pick up Castlevania for 30 and return someday to make a big purchase with my gift cards.lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
robor said:
All I care about is kick ass pacing and level design, if Mikami can deliver that like he should, then 4 hours is fine. Portal is one of my fav games of all time and part of the reason why is because it's 3 hours long. I like short games, bring em on!
I don't get this perspective. I never have. Portal is 3 hours, but 2 hours of it are spent teaching you shit as if you're too dumb to figure anything out for yourself. Then you get another 2-3 hours of challenge maps after that.

Like, good game and all, but the SP campaign experience holds your hand so much that I felt like I was practically being dragged through boring, easy shit for about half the game. The sense of humor did make it go down easy, but the gameplay is slowly explored.

robor

BobsRevenge said:
I don't get this perspective. I never have. Portal is 3 hours, but 2 hours of it are spent teaching you shit as if you're too dumb to figure anything out for yourself. Then you get another 2-3 hours of challenge maps after that.

Like, good game and all, but the SP campaign experience holds your hand so much that I felt like I was practically being dragged through boring, easy shit for about half the game. The sense of humor did make it go down easy, but the gameplay is slowly explored.

Well throw out the "dumb" part and throw in "you're my little lab rat now run along". I guess it never felt like it was holding my hand? Maybe I'm just shit at games, ah well but I thought the first two hours was part of feeling enclosed in this labyrinth where this robot was deceiving you...until the last hour. I loved every moment of it.

Owzers

Himuro said:
6 hours for an action game sounds perfect.

Suck it up, babies.

I love short games, i just don't love paying a lot of money for them. This length for a single player campaign was generally accompanied by a much larger multiplayer mode. Now to get a really short single player campaign by itself for the same price seems harsh. Was the production costs so high and sales expectations so low that they couldn't lower the retail price? Sega probably figures it won't sell so why lower the price.

Himuro said:
6 hours for an action game sounds perfect.

Suck it up, babies.
If it keeps the intensity up throughout the game than yes, I agree. If its like gears where I become bored halfway, no thanks.

spwolf

as much as I remember, demo impressions were amazing? so why is everyone so tied up with how long it last and well it sells?

JB1981

Himuro said:
Gears bored me the second I put it in my 360.

You must suck at Gears :] .... first Gears is a hell of a ride and the cover mechanics were a huge breath of fresh air at the the time. Shit was awesome!

Shurs

Himuro said:
It took me like two weeks to beat Dead Rising 2. I don't know how long it was, but got the s ending.

I beat Dead Rising 1, including overtime mode, in like two days.

Okay.

JB1981 said:
You must suck at Gears :] .... first Gears is a hell of a ride and the cover mechanics were a huge breath of fresh air at the the time. Shit was awesome!
Nowhere near sucking and the game bores me to sleep. Way to slow for my liking.

Tain

There's a difficulty above Hard, right?

I'd hope that would last me, assuming the difficulty levels aren't lazy.

There's a lot of room to fuck difficulty in general up in a game like this, though.

Owzers

spwolf said:
as much as I remember, demo impressions were amazing? so why is everyone so tied up with how long it last and well it sells?

If a game is short and has no multiplayer mode, it makes the PERFECT rental especially if it's amazing since it should be fun and easily beaten within the 5 day rental period, all for $5. If i loved the game after that rental period, i can always buy it when it drops in price to $20-30 to have it in my collection.

OH MY! I just bought the game. It's a very nice game!

Tain said:

There's a lot of room to fuck difficulty in general up in a game like this, though.

If there is, you have to unlock it.

Tain said:

There's God Hard difficulty as well.

On a side note, my clear time for Bayonetta on NSIC says 4:28:04. I had no idea that game was so short!

Ryu

spwolf said:

It's the value proposition. People want solid length for their dollar. As an example, Bayonetta is a 12 hour game (on first play through) at 60 while Vanquish is barely even half that at the same price. Different experiences of course, but that's the idea generally.

Tain said:

Yeah it's called god hard.

Edit: FUCK! I pick up a half semester class on Tuesday. So I can't pick up the game until late that day.

Animator

On second thought I need to get rid of the pos game that is Enslaved before its tradein price plummets if it hasnt already so I will most likely pick Vanquish up. I have put over an hour in the first demo alone so far so I dont think short gameplay will bother me.

Morale of the story: dont buy enslaved.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just in case anybody is skipping out on the K-Mart deal and is instead getting it at GameStop, you can pick up the game during the Fallout New Vegas midnight launch on Monday night.

Animator said:
On second thought I need to get rid of the pos game that is Enslaved before its tradein price plummets if it hasnt already so I will most likely pick Vanquish up. I have put over an hour in the first demo alone so far so I dont think short gameplay will bother me.

I support this advice.

Pssh, Enslaved is splendid.

Anyhow, I liked the demo for Vanquish. Didn't LOVE it, but liked it a lot. I prefer shorter games but the no online is a let down. Either way, K-Mart's save $30/$20coupon makes this a buy. Without it I'd wait.

YOU LUCKED OUT, VANQUISH.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's funny how there seem to be no achievements tied to God Hard mode.

it's so intense they didn't want to put trophy whores through through that shit :lol

I gotta say I'm pretty hyped again after seeing the achievements.

Will pick it up day 1 asap

Chopperman said:
I think it's funny how there seem to be no achievements tied to God Hard mode.

it's so intense they didn't want to put trophy whores through through that shit :lol

I gotta say I'm pretty hyped again after seeing the achievements.

Will pick it up day 1 asap

There's still 1 secret achievement. I'd bet that's for clearing God Hard. Would be pretty dumb if there's no achievement for it.

Amir0x

Banned
Animator said:

I wish I listened to my gut instead of listening to the bullshit artists who compared Enslaved to BG&E. Fucking assholes.

Vanquish is mine thanks to the $25 off K-Mart coupon. $35 bucks it doesn't really matter how short it is!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Relix said:
Poor excuse for an action title.

RE4 is one of those titles where the action is always intense, refreshing, and once you finish.... you want to replay it again. All that from a title that will take 15-20 hours to finish. There really hasn't been any title to match it yet.

iconoclast said:
There's still 1 secret achievement. I'd bet that's for clearing God Hard. Would be pretty dumb if there's no achievement for it.

The secret achievement is Complete all the Tactical Challenges according to Xbox360Achievements.org

panda21

anyone in the UK have theirs ship yet? play.com is already showing it out of the coming soon for this week and have it listed as shipping now. i want

Top Bottom