• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Curufinwe

Amir0x said:
I wish I listened to my gut instead of listening to the bullshit artists who compared Enslaved to BG&E. Fucking assholes.

Vanquish is mine thanks to the $25 off K-Mart coupon. $35 bucks it doesn't really matter how short it is!

Where do you get this $25 off K-Mart coupon?

According to their blog, you can get a $20 coupon to use on a future gaming purchase when you buy Vanquish, and save $30 instantly on a bunch of other games including Halo Reach.

http://www.mykmart.com/mykmart_blog/Vanquish-launch-offer

Amir0x

Banned
Curufinwe said:
Where do you get this $25 off K-Mart coupon?

According to their blog, you can get a $20 coupon to use on a future gaming purchase when you buy Vanquish, and save $30 instantly on a bunch of other games including Halo Reach.

http://www.mykmart.com/mykmart_blog/Vanquish-launch-offer

I got a $25 dollar coupon when I purchased... i forgot which game recently. Maybe Enslaved, maybe Halo Reach? It was one of those games that gave me the coupon. And another of them gave me a $20 off coupon.

Curufinwe

Amir0x said:
I got a $25 dollar coupon when I purchased... i forgot which game recently. Maybe Enslaved, maybe Halo Reach? It was one of those games that gave me the coupon. And another of them gave me a $20 off coupon.

Oh, I see. Thanks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
JB1981 said:
You must suck at Gears :] .... first Gears is a hell of a ride and the cover mechanics were a huge breath of fresh air at the the time. Shit was awesome!

Or maybe we don't suck at shooters and thought Gears was highly mediocre?

OH SHIT, SON! OPINIONS!

Shintoki said:
There really hasn't been any title to match it yet.

That's because Mikami isn't at Capcom. :(

Yes, I don't care much for Clover or Platinum games. No they aren't bad, I just don't find them to OMG SPLOOGE worthy. Dealwithit.gif

shintoki said:
Poor excuse for an action title.

RE4 is one of those titles where the action is always intense, refreshing, and once you finish.... you want to replay it again. All that from a title that will take 15-20 hours to finish. There really hasn't been any title to match it yet.
Arkham Asylum struck a fair balance between length and quality IMO. And except for the shooter levels, Bayonetta is perfect. But yes, RE4 is still the best example to me too.

(funny seeing the Enslaved hate, I hated the demo and when I came here to read impressions, everyone seemed in love with it :lol )

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
JB1981 said:
You must suck at Gears :] .... first Gears is a hell of a ride and the cover mechanics were a huge breath of fresh air at the the time. Shit was awesome!
I agree. It was a hell of ride the first time but now we're almost at the third go-round and I think I'm getting nauseous. Gears' methodical gameplay style and mechanics have also found their way into quite a few shooters this gen, which makes it even more fatiguing. Vanquish makes for a good palette cleanser.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kaos, if you're the one playing in the end of Act 1 video, you're playing TOTALLY different from the way I do. I manual slow down and Slide A LOT.

Also, you don't seem to use the flip dodge very often. That shit is a life saver.

Like Bayonetta and 2d shoot em ups, the games strength will be its replayability and high skill cap combat and scoring systems.

Just praying for no kilgore glitch messes.

jett

D-Member
You know...I'd say that RE4 started wearing out its welcome if just a little on the Island. My first reaction when I saw that a whole new area was ahead of me "WTF, more!?". :p For a straight up action game, I think 10 hours feels about right. 6 hours would be pushing it on the other end of things. 4 hours is a no buy, I sure hope that GI guy was wrong.

I can't stand watching people play. They always play like shit.
I understand that. Most videos outside of a few treat it like a typical TPS.

Slowdown, flip dodging, and sliding never get used enough.

Edit: Jett, some people on the forums say its more 6-7 hours.

Forbiden

What's this whole deal that apparently Gamestop now won't let you preorder with them if you cancel a previous preorder? I went into a gamestop while I waited for a pizza I ordered to be ready, and saw vanquish in the PS3 section. I went crazy and decided to pick it up, but the guy at the counter told me that he couldn't sell it to me since the game is "officialy" out on Tuesday, but asked me if I wanted to preorder it. I remembered that I had $5 down on Final Fantasy XIV, and asked if I could cancel that and put it on Vanquish instead...and the guy tells me "Well, you can, but I wouldn't recommend you do it. Once you cancel a preorder you can't preorder with us anymore, as a penalty because too many people preorder games for bonuses then cancel them later on". So what, was this guy just jerking me around, or is this whole thing true?

Forbiden said:
What's this whole deal that apparently Gamestop now won't let you preorder with them if you cancel a previous preorder? I went into a gamestop while I waited for a pizza I ordered to be ready, and saw vanquish in the PS3 section. I went crazy and decided to pick it up, but the guy at the counter told me that he couldn't sell it to me since the game is "officialy" out on Tuesday, but asked me if I wanted to preorder it. I remembered that I had $5 down on Final Fantasy XIV, and asked if I could cancel that and put it on Vanquish instead...and the guy tells me "Well, you can, but I wouldn't recommend you do it. Once you cancel a preorder you can't preorder with us anymore, as a penalty because too many people preorder games for bonuses then cancel them later on". So what, was this guy just jerking me around, or is this whole thing true?
That guy is full of shit. You can't cancel a pre-order if you don't have a receipt though. That's bullshit.

jett said:
You know...I'd say that RE4 started wearing out its welcome if just a little on the Island. My first reaction when I saw that a whole new area was ahead of me "WTF, more!?". :p For a straight up action game, I think 10 hours feels about right. 6 hours would be pushing it on the other end of things. 4 hours is a no buy, I sure hope that GI guy was wrong.
Word is 6.5-7 hours of gameplay, and about 3 hours of cutscenes. As far as I know, the in-game clock doesn't count cutscene time, so there's that to remember.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Animator said:
Jesus christ @ people saying "enslaved is the game of this generation" wow....

Every game is the game of the generation to someone :lol

I don't even see how they'd keep track of something like that

if it is a policy it's new. I cancelled a preorder in august due to a move and was able to preorder vanquish

Shurs

Word is 6.5-7 hours of gameplay, and about 3 hours of cutscenes. As far as I know, the in-game clock doesn't count cutscene time, so there's that to remember.

Word (from the reviews) is that there is 4+ hours of gameplay. Add in the cutscenes and it's 6-7 hours.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I also heard that the game clock doesn't record the time you spend replaying sections of the game you died on, but I'll have to confirm this for myself.

The real difference would be putting the time of a good player against that of an initially bad player.

With Vanquish, I imagine the difference between those is quite large. Regardless though, a game's worth does not equate to its monetairy value, so it is a question of what you want to see in future games (and the TPS genre in particular).

Shurs

CaptYamato said:
A reviews says 4 hours. People that have the game say 7 hours playwise.

That's wrong. I don't know why people need to act like this is a 10 hour game when it's not. The reviews say 4-6 hours, this dude says 6.5 with cutscenes:

bhytre said:
Game's about six hours and a half on a normal run with all cutscenes, on a steady pace and with occasional deaths. The in-game timer doesn't count the cutscenes or the parts you died before retrying, which is what Gameinformer used I think, and prolly in easy mode.

Shurs said:
Word (from the reviews) is that there is 4+ hours of gameplay. Add in the cutscenes and it's 6-7 hours.

that's horrible if true. why they would spend so much time working on cutscenes for a game like this is beyond me.

Forbiden

Chopperman said:
Every game is the game of the generation to someone :lol

I don't even see how they'd keep track of something like that

if it is a policy it's new. I cancelled a preorder in august due to a move and was able to preorder vanquish

Hmm..well, I guess this guy was just full of it. The way I figured they kept track of it was through phone numbers, since iirc, the last time I went to preorder something they asked for my phone number. And it's not like I am too bothered if they really are doing that, I haven't really preordered a game at gamestop in ages, so I guess I'll just go get my $5 back or something tomorrow.

As for the length, I personally don't mind if it's "only" 6 hours. The US demo was enough to sell me on the game, I had more fun playing that 10~ minute demo than playing some full retail games, so it's really not an issue. To me, replay value is more of an issue than how long it takes to beat a game, and even then, it's not that much of an issue. I finished Dead Space relatively fast, and it had like...0 replay value, and I still loved the hell out of the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DevelopmentArrested said:
when's the review embargo up? not sure if I should pick this up or not
You're going to hear tons of impressions in this thread on release day from people who had high expectations and put $60 of their own hard earned money down for this title. A few of them may even be able to coherently articulate their thoughts and feelings about it. I would just check the thread then if you're still on the fence.

I know it's going to be scoring 8-9's around European media. I cant remember what the embargo date is, but I can say the game's awesome, I didnt think it was too short, there's a lot of replay value.

Beezy

RiotPelaaja said:
I know it's going to be scoring 8-9's around European media. I cant remember what the embargo date is, but I can say the game's awesome, I didnt think it was too short, there's a lot of replay value.
In the form of?

ezekial45

Banned
RiotPelaaja said:
Is there really no suit upgrade?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
The actual time it took to complete a game never mattered to me. Great games always went by way too fast. Bad or mediocre games seem to drag on forever.

Yep. I am going to love this game. Actually sounds like a challenge. A.I. sounds like it is actually not retarded.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
There are a lot of impressions (and spoilers) in this topic.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/987823-vanquish/56787181

FROM THE LINK:
i played on normal and died 55 times during the story. most deaths are due to making the wrong decision i.e i thought i could kill an enemy if i just kept firing just a lil bit longer coz its life bar was almost empty but i got flanked by the small red foot soldier robots who if i might add have to be the best A.I dancers i have seen in my life.

also most deaths are by an enemy known as "THE UNKNOWN". lol

he is a very powerful guy but its what lies within that will make you angry. and he happens to show up at times when you are not in the mood for a 1 on 1 fight.

another enemy who killed me a lot is "MR MANHATTAN" (not his actual name but you will see what i mean when you meet him) i didnt have the gun that can kill him easily so i figured it out later but omg if you dont have the gun needed to beat him, you are in big trouble.

the enemy snipers in this game do a good Job of keeping you busy. if you suck at multi tasking and planning battles and decisions, this game might be too hard for you on higher difficulties.

i am currently playing on hard then will move to god hard.

i tried the challenges but uhmmm,,, .......... yeah they just don't do it for me. not creative or fun. just you killing enemies without conditions in the fastest time possible.

there are some easter eggs that i found but i wont spoil them for those who have yet to play.

Top Bottom