• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

FreeMufasa said:
I finished this a few days ago in around 4 hours. Good game.

I thought the gameplay/mechanics were absoloutely amazing, top tier but the actual game content was meh. I hope they use the same gameplay to make a better game.
I'm beginning to feel the same. The mechanics were sublime but I don't find anything about the campaign particularly memorable.

Duffyside

Banned
_dementia said:
I'm beginning to feel the same. The mechanics were sublime but I don't find anything about the campaign particularly memorable.
Anyone who has seen the Unknown and then can say there is nothing memorable about this game is a person whose opinion on everything is suspect.

Anteater

_dementia said:

I thought the last boss and fighting double Bias were pretty memorable, but I do think the first few chapters were the strongest part, crystal viper and the unknown were pretty cool but I didn't think they were that fun to fight after the first time, neither was the second last boss.

Got the last achievement. Very happy. I died once when the last enemy had a pixel of life left. I smashed the table with my fist Hulk style and said FUCK! really loudly. Couple more times I reacted the same.

Got there in the end. Come at me bro. I know for a fact most of you will not get this achievement :) You're not ready.

SneakyStephan said:
Surprisingly good game, at least it puts all the other pathetic third person shooter crap out there to shame.

It feels like a video game... with gameplay, what do you know.

THIS. Makes all the other games feel like just a bland, trash, hold your hand, mommy walkthrough.

Just picked it up Thursday. Really digging it. The guy at GameStop kept telling me that it wasn't that great when I bought it, but he was obviously wrong.

Had to turn the difficulty down when you fight the two giant robots in Act 2 though. Died about 7 times, and finally went "screw it" and put it to casual. Still loving the game.

Out of Platinum's games, I'd put this a step below Bayonetta, and way above Madworld. Never played the DS game. (Think it's called Infinite Space?) After this though, I'm really excited to play Anarchy Reigns, as I feel Platinum have become my favorite Japanese developers after probably Nintendo.

Nemesis_

The final boss battle was so damn intense. I think I was actually sweating.

I have to revisit this during the next down time I get. It was so good, and I only played it through once.

I wish people appreciated it more.

CadetMahoney said:
Got there in the end. Come at me bro. I know for a fact most of you will not get this achievement :) You're not ready.

110jbyv.gif

Stunt without mercy.

Duffyside

Banned
The last achievement? I take it you mean Challenge 6 and not Hard mode, right? Cuz Hard mode is a piece of cake compared to Challenges 4 and 6.

And yup; most satisfying platinum ever. I literally threw my hands up in the air and said "I FUCKING DID IIIIIIT!"

Vanquish is so damn good it makes other games not fun. I'm not even kidding. I dislike all of gaming more now because of Vanquish.

Neiteio

Incredible game. Started it last night and finished it today. The best-controlling third-person action game EVER. Best combat in a shooter as well, I'd say.

How do I unlock the Challenges, though? I beat the game but I don't see them anywhere...

Anteater

Neiteio said:
Incredible game. Started it last night and finished it today. The best-controlling third-person action game EVER. Best combat in a shooter as well, I'd say.

How do I unlock the Challenges, though? I beat the game but I don't see them anywhere...

They should be unlocked as you progress through the game on normal or higher I think, each act unlocks a new challenge.

Neiteio

Anteater said:
They should be unlocked as you progress through the game on normal or higher I think, each act unlocks a new challenge.
Is it tied to difficulty? I played on Casual, so maybe that's why. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to playing on Normal.

Fun game, but I was ready for it to be over by the end. The game length fit the price and experience I got out of the game (12$). I would look forward to and buy a sequel if it were announced.

Neiteio

In a sequel, you should be able to hop down from ledges without railings; the inability to drop down from some ledges seemed like the only gameplay regression from RE4. More quiet moments to breathe a bit before the next big battle would be appreciated, too. A sequel could also introduce more vehicle "mounts" like the walkers you could commandeer, and while I have no idea how they'd implement them, jetpacks ala the bogeys would be sweeeeeeeeet.

But really, Vanquish is pretty goddamn perfect just the way it is.

Neiteio

prowler_ said:
You don't like non-stop action?
I do like non-stop action, and it certainly didn't take away from the experience, but I think it would've added to the experience to have some moments where, if you wish, you can just observe the beauty. The space colony was gorgeous and offered some impressive vistas, after all. :)

Anteater

Neiteio said:
I do like non-stop action, and it certainly didn't take away from the experience, but I think it would've added to the experience to have some moments where, if you wish, you can just observe the beauty. The space colony was gorgeous and offered some impressive vistas, after all. :)

hrrm I wouldn't mind that, kind of like the village in uncharted 2, but really it gets old when you replay it, but I think in vanquish you run around inbetween areas a lot to figure out which upgrades you want to get anyway and some people run around to look for those hidden figurines, so it has room for "quiet" moments.

I do think uncharted games get a lot of praise because of how the pacing isn't just non stop action, so it's not exactly bad if vanquish does the same thing while still allows people to blow through the entire campaign without stopping.

Oreoleo

SillyEskimo said:
Fun game, but I was ready for it to be over by the end.

My biggest problem with the game is that you don't unlock new abilities or anything throughout the course of the game, everything is available to you from the outset. I remember being on the 2nd stage and getting the achievement for using all the guns and I was really disappointed.

This is in almost direct contrast to Bayonetta where you can play the game 2 or 3 times through and still have new moves or weapons left to unlock.

Neiteio said:

This was basically the Valve mantra when making Half-Life 2. You've gotta have the yin to go with the yang. Quiet moments of exploration and desolation to make the big battles seem more important and intense. Otherwise you just sort of go numb to it after a while.

Neiteio

I'm really excited about this game's franchise potential. Its ham-and-cheese plot could get as delightfully goofy as Mikami's other work on Resident Evil, and the gameplay is just so goddamn good. That's a real bummer if the game didn't sell well... I hope Platinum Games powers ahead with a sequel, and Sega publishes.

soldat7

Orellio said:
My biggest problem with the game is that you don't unlock new abilities or anything throughout the course of the game, everything is available to you from the outset. I remember being on the 2nd stage and getting the achievement for using all the guns and I was really disappointed.

Having access to pretty much everything from the beginning with a modest upgrade system throughout is vastly superior to the tired mechanic of earning new abilities and weapons as you progress in the game. You feel like a bad mofo from the start and you get better because of your skill and not because of newly acquired weapons or abilities.

Zabka

Bought it on sale a few months ago but sat on it until yesterday. Blasted through this game during the hurricane and loved it. Only real problem I had was the lame upgrade system.

Everything else was awesome though. Felt like a badass 3D Contra game.

I love Vanquish! But there is a problem in my opinion:

The ending.

A cliffhanger?!?

There won't be a Vanquish 2, so ending this one with a cliffhanger makes no sense whatsoever. And the reason there won't be a Vanquish 2, is that the first game sold poorly and Shinji Mikami is out of his contract with Sega - who now owns the rights to Vanquish - i.e. no more Vanquish.

I would really have liked to fight Zaitsev for real. ;)

ctrayne

soldat7 said:
Having access to pretty much everything from the beginning with a modest upgrade system throughout is vastly superior to the tired mechanic of earning new abilities and weapons as you progress in the game. You feel like a bad mofo from the start and you get better because of your skill and not because of newly acquired weapons or abilities.
Yes, this is old-school, pure gameplay at its best. Just got this (finally bought a 360) and love it. Storyline is garbage but everything else is fantastic. I could see the Casshern influence right away.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
JumpingTheGun said:
Best third person shooter this generation imo.

it's not your opinion, it's a fact

I was just replaying this a couple nights ago, I almost forgot just how incredible it is. I still haven't watched a single cutscene past the intro, lol, I couldn't care less about narrative in a game like this. I just want to kick robot ass.

C Jones

CadetMahoney said:
Got the last achievement. Very happy. I died once when the last enemy had a pixel of life left. I smashed the table with my fist Hulk style and said FUCK! really loudly. Couple more times I reacted the same.

THIS. Makes all the other games feel like just a bland, trash, hold your hand, mommy walkthrough.
Haha, congrats man. You just inspired me to pick this game up again.

zkylon

zkylewd
Snuggler said:
I was just replaying this a couple nights ago, I almost forgot just how incredible it is. I still haven't watched a single cutscene past the intro, lol, I couldn't care less about narrative in a game like this. I just want to kick robot ass.
Not that the cutscenes help the game's narrative in any way.

Haven't beaten it yet, but i can't for the life of me understand a single thing about this game. Not that i mind though. I just wish the characters were crazier so i would feel more interested in the game's story.

soldat7

Snuggler said:
it's not your opinion, it's a fact

Oh man, the cutscenes are fantastically bad, and purposely so. They add a good deal of flavor to the game.

Jockel

I recently bought this game for 20€ and couldn't get into it.
Any tips on how to properly play / enjoy it?
I couldn't even beat the first boss.

...really want to like it, but so far I don't have any fun at all.
(I know I'm not supposed to take cover and peek & shoot...)

soldat7

Jockel said:

You need to do the opposite of that. Run, slide, and gun (and slow down time)!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
soldat7 said:
Oh man, the cutscenes are fantastically bad, and purposely so. They add a good deal of flavor to the game.

I'm sure they're not that bad or anything, but I just can't set the controller down and watch a movie when I could be zooming around the battlefield and exploding shit. It's my way of cutting out the fat and focusing only on the good stuff.

I do like their voice overs, though. The boss guy sounds like he's choking on gravel whenever he talks.

It takes time, but eventually you get a handle on the flow of combat (monitoring your energy, knowing when to boost and when to melee, using weapons effectively, and so on). Stick with it, it's an amazing game.

Duffyside

Banned
Jockel said:

Do you know about slowing down time whenever you want by aiming as you finish a roll? Honestly, if you already know not to stop and pop, and still aren't having fun... I... I don't know what to tell you. You're the world's first sentient robot though, so... congratulations on that.

Seriously, click some of the videos in this thread. If it doesn't look appealing to you, so be it.
I will end you.

Satchel

Banned
Yeah, I got a PS3 copy for only $30AU.

So awesome. Was playing it every day for 4 days straight. LOVED it. I've just started a hard playthrough and gotDAM it's hard.

But I need to push through, I want all those trophies.

This is actually one rare instance where I think a game seems to control a feel better with the dualshock.

Duffyside

Banned
Satchel said:
Yeah, I got a PS3 copy for only $30AU.

So awesome. Was playing it every day for 4 days straight. LOVED it. I've just started a hard playthrough and gotDAM it's hard.

But I need to push through, I want all those trophies.

This is actually one rare instance where I think a game seems to control a feel better with the dualshock.
Heh, good luck. If hard mode's tough now, you're going to be pulling your hair out with the Challenges. =]

Lttp but started over the weekend since my Xbox 360 copy came in after recently ordering from Newegg. Played through Normal, grabbed a few situational achievements via stage select...then dove in again as soon as I could to play Hard diff in one addicted run on Sunday.

It has been a while since I was so thoroughly engaged by a videogame. And since I got it for cheap, I gave a little more to get the 160 pts weapon dlc. The standard variety of weapons is entirely competent, these are just fun extras. Though that armor-piercing handgun has become a top favorite.

Aru

Q8D3vil said:
just finished it.
great gameplay and shit everything else.

What ? What about the graphics ? The game looks great.

I just finished it too. I found it great, except it was a bit repetitive (not enough different enemies and reused bosses).
I'd love a sequel ! Too bad we won't have it :(

Continued playing and noticed that after all these years I was about to hit 50,000 Achievement points. Getting "Buzzard Beater" and then finding all Pangloss statues put me at 50,019. However arbitrary, it felt good to let Vanquish stake the claim on the 50k turnover.

After giving the trigger and boost fingers a rest will try out the challenge mode.

knee

I don't want to search the thread, because I don't want to come across any spoilers... but...

Is there a consensus 'better' system to get this game on? I don't want to be in a Red Dead Redemption situation for PS3.

Riposte

knee said:
I don't want to search the thread, because I don't want to come across any spoilers... but...

Is there a consensus 'better' system to get this game on? I don't want to be in a Red Dead Redemption situation for PS3.

As far as I can tell the most significant difference is less tearing on the PS3.

Top Bottom