• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's worth it for the hand cannon. It has the potency of the shotgun and killer range to boot.
I found it kinda hard to keep up with ammo for them but at one dollar it's worth it for the added variety.

I liked the new assault rifle, too, it packed a punch.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
It's worth it for the hand cannon. It has the potency of the shotgun and killer range to boot.
I found it kinda hard to keep up with ammo for them but at one dollar it's worth it for the added variety.

I liked the new assault rifle, too, it packed a punch.

If you're playing on normal or hard you can just upgrade it to deal with ammo

Then easily kill the boss on stage 5-2 before he even gets to the final room lol

and yeah I liked the machine gun too. Best DPS in the game. Used with reload and weapon canceling it shreds bosses.

I got them with my preorder and found them to be alot of fun. Definitely worth it for free

Korigama

Sagitario said:
Are there any major differences between versions? Which one is considered the best and why?

PS3 version (lead platform) is considered better. 360 version has screen-tearing issues, otherwise no gamebreaking differences.

NinjaBoiX

Korigama said:
PS3 version (lead platform) is considered better. 360 version has screen-tearing issues, otherwise no gamebreaking differences.
Yeah, don't worry, Platinum did the port. Guess they learned from Bayo.

Picked this up on clearance from Target, dang this is a fun game. Boiling it down, it feels like what I imagine a Japanese developed Gears of War would be like. Fast fluid action, and the graphics are great with a rock solid framerate. I'm not typically interested in action games like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta, but this is a lot of fun. Now I feel kinda bad buying it on clearance and not supporting the developers more :(

ussjme

Just finished the game. What an experience. Great, great natural feeling controls and the graphics were amazing. I don't do this for alot of games but I think I'm going to try and tackle the challenges then play god hard mode. This game just begs to be mastered the controls are so good. You really feeling like you're in control of everything.

So I'm replaying the campaign for the 1st time since release, and I just noticed that you can kick the barrels (Explosive or otherwise) if you press the melee button by them o_O, could come in handy to set things up since you don't lose any ARS meter by doing so.

Trojan X

Banned
-NinjaBoiX- said:
Yeah, don't worry, Platinum did the port. Guess they learned from Bayo.

Yes.

Bayonetta was supposed to be an Xbox 360 only game until Sega Japan told them that they want to release it on the PS3 too. Unfortunately, Platinum had other commitments, resources and opinions to which they decided not to do it, therefore Sega did it instead. If it weren't for this, Bayonetta would have actually come out 1 year earlier.

I know this wasn't brought up but in my opinion, I think SEGA made a great decision to release the game on the PS3 from a business point of view, however its unfortunate that their porting effort weren't how you could say, "platinum quality".

strem

Just finished it on Hard mode. Holy hell that last fight was tough. Overall I had a ton of fun with the game. The combat really kept me going all the way through. It took me about 8 hours to beat on hard and I died a LOT! Gonna try it on casual now to see the difference and see if I can get the achievement for not dying

I just hit act 3 in this game and my god, it's fucking amazing. I never thought id see the day where a rail shooting sequence would leave me in awe but somehow vanquish managed to do that o_O

kodecraft

Glad to see you guys enjoying Vanquish....too bad it didnt have millions of dollars in advertisements but PG do their gamn thing.

Mad World is another exception if you haven't played it do so...that had one of Mikami's protege's direct it.... Shigenori....who is a hot up and comer directing.

Used the $15 coupon that I got with Ocarina 3D and got this for $5 at Kmart.

I hear that the game is very replayable, so I'm wondering if I should start on casual and work my way up, or is casual way to easy to even bother with? How does the difficulty compare to similar games like Gears?

TheAtomicPile said:

I hear that the game is very replayable, so I'm wondering if I should start on casual and work my way up, or is casual way to easy to even bother with? How does the difficulty compare to similar games like Gears?

It's piss easy on Casual, but surprisingly fun still.
However I still recommend starting on Normal, Casual is better suited for replays since you can tear shit up then and rack up the remaining trophies :p

just bought this game. LTTP. Will receive it monday.
can't wait to play it. Loved the demo, but too little time to play all the games i want................................................

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
It's piss easy on Casual, but surprisingly fun still.
However I still recommend starting on Normal, Casual is better suited for replays since you can tear shit up then and rack up the remaining trophies :p

Started on normal here, first boss killed me 4 times straight so I thought I should try again later haha.

The moment that I melee'd a Radninov with the disc weapon and it sliced him in half was just : O I didn't know that the melee in this game would be so useful until act 4.

Alx

I know I hated it when I read it from other people about games I loved, but here it is : the game has been sitting unopened on my shelf for several months, and I just decided to play it this week-end. And yeah, I like it a lot, it feels really great.

I'm getting my ass kicked, though, and I still find it hard to master slow motion (too often am I stuck in a position where I can't shoot at anything, or I need to slowly move my reticle to aim at an enemy in my back). I don't know exactly why I'm shooting at all these robots since I tend to skip cutscenes, being too impatient to play, but who cares. :p

I haven't tried them yet, but will I keep my weapon upgrades in mission mode or in hard mode playthrough ?

ironcreed

Banned
I put off getting this one because it is so short, but just beat it a few days ago after getting it from Gamefly and had a great time. Fantastic gameplay carries it, but samey enemies and incredibly short campaign were it's drawbacks for me. Fun as hell, though.

sixghost

Alx said:
I know I hated it when I read it from other people about games I loved, but here it is : the game has been sitting unopened on my shelf for several months, and I just decided to play it this week-end. And yeah, I like it a lot, it feels really great.

I'm getting my ass kicked, though, and I still find it hard to master slow motion (too often am I stuck in a position where I can't shoot at anything, or I need to slowly move my reticle to aim at an enemy in my back). I don't know exactly why I'm shooting at all these robots since I tend to skip cutscenes, being too impatient to play, but who cares. :p

I haven't tried them yet, but will I keep my weapon upgrades in mission mode or in hard mode playthrough ?
Unfortunately there's no new game+, so weapons always reset on a new playthrough. One of the most annoying things about hard mode is how quickly your weapons de-level when you start getting killed.

Anteater

TheAtomicPile said:

Only have uncharted to compare to but Vanquish's hard was on the easy side compare to the equivalent of those 2 games, or at least not a problem if you've played through those 2 games, but god hard was terribly hard and a few notches harder than crushing, I'm not sure about casual and normal, I felt that they added in normal just to tone it down, since differences between normal and hard doesn't seem to be that huge from what I've read.

Edit: I guess it depends how many times you want to replay it, but I feel that you can't go wrong with normal, I'd probably skip casual if you've played through gears or uncharted

tigerin

i just beat the game. have to say the gameplay shooting are top notch. i beat gears of war 2 before playing this game and i have to say the gameplay for this is better. it's more fluid and your character doesn't feel as heavy when moving especially running. the slow motion shooting is also a great feature. story is okay and the game felt long and repetitive tho. i can only handle playing it 30 minutes at a time.

well, once again mr. mikami has take shooting mechanic to another level after resident evil 4.

I cracked this open last week finally, after having it sitting bought for about a month. I love it. I started on hard mode, and maybe I just suck at action games but I really don't see how people can complain about the campaign being too short. I've put about six or seven hours into it and am only at the beginning of Act 3 right now. I've done a lot of dying getting used to the controls, though, so that may be it. Still, though, this game is extremely fun and solidifies my love of Platinum Games.

sixghost said:
Unfortunately there's no new game+, so weapons always reset on a new playthrough. One of the most annoying things about hard mode is how quickly your weapons de-level when you start getting killed.
The solution is simple, really.

Don't die.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Incendiary said:
I cracked this open last week finally, after having it sitting bought for about a month. I love it. I started on hard mode, and maybe I just suck at action games but I really don't see how people can complain about the campaign being too short. I've put about six or seven hours into it and am only at the beginning of Act 3 right now. I've done a lot of dying getting used to the controls, though, so that may be it. Still, though, this game is extremely fun and solidifies my love of Platinum Games.

The secret is that Vanquish, is not a short game. It's essentially a 3D bullet hell 3rd person shooter. Now, think about a bullet hell shooter that's FIVE HOURS LONG. It would be the longest shooter ever made.

That's what Vanquish is, due to its breakneck pace and nearly 100% constant action. The cut scenes after the intro are brief and rarely cut away from the shooting and dodging for long.

The poor game was just lambasted by our out of whack game value standards. If compared to the campaigns of typical western 3rd person shooters like Gears, it has much more gameplay and "time spent actually fully engaged" than those games. It just doesn't have a multiplayer component to create the illusion that it is longer lasting than it really is.

Alx

sixghost said:

Wow, I don't know if I'll get good enough to try the hard mode, then... I think that in normal mode, you keep your gun upgrades even if you get killed. I thought it was a nice way to auto-balance the game : the more you die, the more powerful your weapons get, until you're strong enough to survive.

Anteater

Alx said:
Wow, I don't know if I'll get good enough to try the hard mode, then... I think that in normal mode, you keep your gun upgrades even if you get killed. I thought it was a nice way to auto-balance the game : the more you die, the more powerful your weapons get, until you're strong enough to survive.

Your ammos refills if you die/continue anyway on all difficulties, so it barely really make much of a difference imo and still exploitable by keeping a rocket launcher =P

sixghost said:

i didn't even realize weapons de-leveled on hard. it's not really an issue imo, the game is manageable and fun on hard.

Riposte

I feel the best way to play Vanquish is to ignore checkpoints and restart chapters every time you die. I think there is a trophy for playing like this too, but though I don't remember knowing about it until after I beat the game despite looking at the list so I may be remembering wrong.

(I guess to some people that would be torture, but hey, adds value.)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Beat this over the weekend, great game. The end definitely sets up another game and is a cliffhanger of sorts, I really hope that despite bad sales Platinum makes a second.

One of the best controlling third person shooters I have ever played for sure.

Is there a chance that Sega might bring this to the PC?

I don't think they have a bad record when it comes to porting, do they?

If, not might have to go 360.

Anteater

Lord-Audie said:
Is there a chance that Sega might bring this to the PC?

I don't think they have a bad record when it comes to porting, do they?

If, not might have to go 360.

Judging from Bayonetta and Kamiya's tweet about PC ports, probably not, they say they don't have the staff to port it and don't want to outsource it to someone else. Don't know about Vanquish though.

Top Bottom