• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

I Made vegan ricotta ravioli from scratch. It was fucking fantastic. Recipe upon request.
kiDy2El.jpg

DTQLxoz.jpg

EJusbEi.jpg

U9OL6lA.jpg

LlxSkmB.jpg

Can I have the recipe :) Probably be lazy and make cannelloni though. Looks ace.
Pasta
Ingredients
2 cups semolina flour or unbleached all purpose flour*
3/4 cup white whole wheat OR whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 – 1 cup room temperature water
Instructions
Place flours in the food processor and pulse to combine.
While the food processor is running, add water 1 Tbsp at a time through the spout while the processor is running. If you do not have a food processor, refer to this method which only requires a fork!
My dough took about 3/4 cup water. It will feel like a dough and slightly sticky and moldable when enough water has been absorbed.
Remove from processor and split into two sections for easy rolling. Let rest for 8-10 minutes.
Place one ball seam-side down onto a modestly floured clean surface. Dust the top with flour, dust a rolling pin with flour, and roll out into a very thin square or circle.
If you are making lasagna leave it a little bit thicker. For most other shapes get it a bit thinner – almost like paper.
To make lasagna noodles, use a lasagna cutter or what I did: Cut out rectangles with a pizza cutter and then use a chopstick or stimilar-shaped object to crimp ridges into the edges of the noodles, applying pressure in the opposite direction with your finger (like crimping pie dough, but smaller). To make linguini, simply use a pizza cutter or knife to cut into small strips. Place on a lightly floured surface and dust with more flour so they don’t stick.
To cook, prepare a large pot of boiling water, salt liberally and add fresh pasta. Fresh pasta takes less time to cook so watch it closely. My lasagna noodles and linguini only took about 6-7 minutes. This will change depending on how al dente you prefer your pasta.
Top with desired sauces. Pesto and marinara are both fabulous with this recipe.
Half of this recipe easily feeds 2-3 people, so halve or quarter the recipe if it’s just for you and one other person as leftovers don’t really store well.

Tofu FIlling

TOFU FILLING
2 lemons, juiced (~1/3 cup)
1 12-ounce block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed dry for 10 minutes
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
1 Tbsp dried oregano
3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt + Pepper (~1/2 tsp each)
1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese (optional)

Vegan Parmesan

Ingredients
3/4 cup raw cashews
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

place 1-2 tbsp of tofu filling in 2.5- 3 inch square pieces then coat top edge with water liberally and press together with a fork or chop stick.
Boil for 5 minutes.
Eat in your favorite red sauce.

I think we are ready to make the jump to veganism.
Been vegetarian for 4 years now, grilled cheese is going to be missed.

Although I still do not consider bio milk/cheese immoral, it is not the best kind of food to eat anyway.

Thing is: i was mostly a beans/lentils/nuts person, while almost completely ignoring soy. But after trying tofu and soy-based products....DAMN, this is going to be easier than I thought.

Grilled cheese with Daiya is delicious. I use shreds but the slices are even gooier when melted.

Mine is rye bread brushed with olive oil, daiya swiss, sliced jalapeno, sliced tomato, and a bit of garlic powder.

Pinkuss

Pasta
Ingredients
2 cups semolina flour or unbleached all purpose flour*
3/4 cup white whole wheat OR whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 – 1 cup room temperature water
Instructions
Place flours in the food processor and pulse to combine.
While the food processor is running, add water 1 Tbsp at a time through the spout while the processor is running. If you do not have a food processor, refer to this method which only requires a fork!
My dough took about 3/4 cup water. It will feel like a dough and slightly sticky and moldable when enough water has been absorbed.
Remove from processor and split into two sections for easy rolling. Let rest for 8-10 minutes.
Place one ball seam-side down onto a modestly floured clean surface. Dust the top with flour, dust a rolling pin with flour, and roll out into a very thin square or circle.
If you are making lasagna leave it a little bit thicker. For most other shapes get it a bit thinner – almost like paper.
To make lasagna noodles, use a lasagna cutter or what I did: Cut out rectangles with a pizza cutter and then use a chopstick or stimilar-shaped object to crimp ridges into the edges of the noodles, applying pressure in the opposite direction with your finger (like crimping pie dough, but smaller). To make linguini, simply use a pizza cutter or knife to cut into small strips. Place on a lightly floured surface and dust with more flour so they don’t stick.
To cook, prepare a large pot of boiling water, salt liberally and add fresh pasta. Fresh pasta takes less time to cook so watch it closely. My lasagna noodles and linguini only took about 6-7 minutes. This will change depending on how al dente you prefer your pasta.
Top with desired sauces. Pesto and marinara are both fabulous with this recipe.
Half of this recipe easily feeds 2-3 people, so halve or quarter the recipe if it’s just for you and one other person as leftovers don’t really store well.

Tofu FIlling

TOFU FILLING
2 lemons, juiced (~1/3 cup)
1 12-ounce block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed dry for 10 minutes
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
1 Tbsp dried oregano
3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt + Pepper (~1/2 tsp each)
1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese (optional)

Vegan Parmesan

Ingredients
3/4 cup raw cashews
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

place 1-2 tbsp of tofu filling in 2.5- 3 inch square pieces then coat top edge with water liberally and press together with a fork or chop stick.
Boil for 5 minutes.
Eat in your favorite red sauce.

Muchas gracias. My slobby housemate is leaving in a week so I'll finally have a clean kitchen to experiment cooking in.

Firestar

What do you guys do for bread other than make it yourself? Nothing I see at the store seems to be fully vegan. Always has stearate or l-cysteine. And the freshly baked stuff never has ingredients. I ask, but they never seem competent enough to just give me a list.

Pinkuss

What do you guys do for bread other than make it yourself? Nothing I see at the store seems to be fully vegan. Always has stearate or l-cysteine. And the freshly baked stuff never has ingredients. I ask, but they never seem competent enough to just give me a list.

UK here. Most of the sliced bread is Vegan (and labelled as such) and about half the store/supermarket baked stuff is fine (plus stuff like bake at home Ciabatta is Vegan).

Firestar

UK here. Most of the sliced bread is Vegan (and labelled as such) and about half the store/supermarket baked stuff is fine (plus stuff like bake at home Ciabatta is Vegan).

Damn, I'll have to start checking more specialized stores for it. I'm in Canada, and at least the normal supermarkets (which do have vegan products) that I live near never seem to have any vegan bread whatsoever.

yonder

Vegan-Gaf,

Hi, all. So,my doctor has suggested I try a Vegan diet for the time being.

I have zero problems with the vegetable aspect of the diet. What I am struggling with is the protein portion of it and ask for some easy recommendations. I say 'easy' and let me explain. I went to a local grocery chain here in Texas (H.E.B for those of you familiar) and tried Vegan sausages and a sturdy Tofu. I understand that after 35 plus years eating x, y, z...my bud taste will most likely have to adapt to new tastes. The sausage wasn't bad with regards to flavor, but the texture was a tad too chewy for my taste. Likewise with Tofu. I experienced gag reflexes eating these.

So, can any of you suggest something I can use to ease into? My doctor wants to ensure I keep up with my protein intake so I need this bit figured out.
Tofu and vegan sausages might require some getting used to but will become tasty in time in my experience.

Otherwise, beans and lentils are very high in protein, and you can make a bunch of tasty things with them. My favourite is three bean chili (google will give you a ton of recipes). Nuts and seeds are also high in protein – try some as a snack or in butter-form on a sandwich or in some oatmeal. And since you already like vegetables: eat a fuckload of them! Stuff like broccoli and kale have quite a bit of protein and you can eat as much as you want.

A final tip is to check out the OP for some vegan recipe blogs (or just google vegan recipes). Try as many as you can and see what you like. There are some good ones in this thread, too!

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck with the diet and keep asking questions on here if you need help.

DJ_Lae

So, can any of you suggest something I can use to ease into? My doctor wants to ensure I keep up with my protein intake so I need this bit figured out.

When my wife was vegetarian, and when I have vegetarian or vegan people over for dinner, I like using some sort of mock ground meat product. Yves makes a decent ground round, although I don't know if they're available in the US or if there's an equivalent.

It works best blended into something, either bolognese sauce or in lasagna or shepherd's pie. I've tricked relatives before with it in lasagna.

Barring that, legumes are a good option, and they're cheap. They also don't pretend to be something, and coming from a diet with meat you'll very quickly find that meat analogues do not taste like meat, or they taste like bad meat.

Seitan is one of the few with a similar texture, but I find it's a bit expensive.

TVP or textured vegetable protein is another option for soups or sauces where you just want a ground meat analogue. Keep in mind you'll need to heavily season it, of course, as it tastes of nothing.

For tofu I like buying deep fried tofu as it has a nicer texture than regular, and fermented tofu or tempeh is also better. I would avoid the softer types of tofu to begin with as they have some unpleasant textures if you aren't used to them.

Firestar

yonder, DJ Lee, thank you both.

Went to the store and grabbed some more goodies (Tofu, lentils). Had a soup of okra, broccoli and beans this evening and feel just as stuffed as I have ever been. Drank my first half gallon of water longer than I can remember.

For 12 years, I have had severe digestion pain and this new doctor i am seeing thinks this approach may work for me.

In the past I also had really bad digestion pains and problems, and going vegan completely and 100% fixed any issues I had. I had doctors giving me many different kinds of medicine and none of them could figure it out. Then I had gone to see a naturopath (was pretty desperate) and they had suggested cutting out dairy. Was already vegetarian, so I'm essentially vegan. Never looked back, feel a million times better. So stick it through, it could really be the solution as well

Vegan-Gaf,

Hi, all. So,my doctor has suggested I try a Vegan diet for the time being.

I have zero problems with the vegetable aspect of the diet. What I am struggling with is the protein portion of it and ask for some easy recommendations. I say 'easy' and let me explain. I went to a local grocery chain here in Texas (H.E.B for those of you familiar) and tried Vegan sausages and a sturdy Tofu. I understand that after 35 plus years eating x, y, z...my bud taste will most likely have to adapt to new tastes. The sausage wasn't bad with regards to flavor, but the texture was a tad too chewy for my taste. Likewise with Tofu. I experienced gag reflexes eating these.

Thing with all the 'replacement products' eg. sausages, cheese et al. is they vary greatly. You will want to try all sorts of brands and versions. Some are great some not so much, you'll find your groove.

Anyway why is protein so important to you?

It is practically impossible to be protein deficient without being calorie deficient, so if you are eating enough you are easily eating enough protein.

Dicktatorship

Guys I've been off meat for 2 weeks now and I'm finding the increasing temptation to eat animals troubling as hell. What are some tasty, cheap, and simple tofu recipes for someone on a very limited budget that lives in a house of meat-eaters that constantly throw meat in my face? This is starting to become hell.

Guys I've been off meat for 2 weeks now and I'm finding the increasing temptation to eat animals troubling as hell. What are some tasty, cheap, and simple tofu recipes for someone on a very limited budget that lives in a house of meat-eaters that constantly throw meat in my face? This is starting to become hell.

Why are you looking for tofu recipes specifically? Do you want to have something that looks and feels meat like to satisfy your cravings? The thread is full of tasty vegan dishes. :)

Daigoro

made bbq seitan on the grill this weekend. had with some corn on the cob, potatos and peas. it was nice!

why did you stop eating meat in the first place? if it's something you still want to do, it's going to be hard to resist.

same question as FliX, why tofu? not that tofu cant be made into a delicious meal, but there are a thousand other things that you can make that are tasty and cheap. rice and beans for instance.

anyways, ive been making this awesome recipe recently for marinated baked tofu thats super easy and tastes amazing. just puts some grains or starch anf some greens on the side and you'll be all set.

Marinated Baked Tofu:

12 Tofu (extra firm)- cut into slices 1/4-1/2" thick. pat gently to remove moisture.

marinade-
2 1/2 TBS Balsamic vinegar
2 TBS Tamari (soy sauce), or amino liquid (coconut, Bragg's etc)
1TBS maple syrup (you can even skip this or add a different sweetener and it will come out good)

coat both sides of tofu slices in the marinade, add the rest to the baking pan, bake uncovered at 375 for about 20 minutes. basically cook until the marinade is soaked/evaporated.

you can use the leftovers in a sandwich cold. or mash/puree and mix with seasonings, mustard, mayo, etc for a sandwich filling.

this recipe rocks. try it out guys (from my vegan cooking goddess Dreena Burton).

Damn, I'll have to start checking more specialized stores for it. I'm in Canada, and at least the normal supermarkets (which do have vegan products) that I live near never seem to have any vegan bread whatsoever.

Where in Canada are you? I find that Loblaws usually has some vegan breads, and Loblaws is everywhere!

iirate

Do y'all have any advice for a long-time fast food vegan who would like to start cooking? I'm mostly interested in stuff I could make in bulk on the weekends to last the week. I'm 29 and it's a damn shame that I still eat like a college student.

Pinkuss

Do y'all have any advice for a long-time fast food vegan who would like to start cooking? I'm mostly interested in stuff I could make in bulk on the weekends to last the week. I'm 29 and it's a damn shame that I still eat like a college student.

Pasta sauce with roast veg/fried veg is easy; slice as many veg as can (that go with a tomato sauce), add a couple of tins of tomato (or more) and reduce till thick, add herbs and I like to add beans (normally chickpeas or butter beans)/lentils and add salt and stuff. Freeze once thick and use as a pizza sauce (blend) or pasta sauce.

And top with nooch (nutritional yeast).

My go to bulk meals for the week are
Vegan Korma
- Any veg I can find
- Coconut milk
- Korma Paste
- Various indian spices

Chilli Sin Carne
- Diced tomatoes
- Puréed tomatoes
- Onions
- Garlic
- Soy Granulate
- Red lentils
- Chillis
- Sweetcorn

Veggi Bolognese
- Finely choped or Blended Vegetables (Beetroot, Tomato, Carrots, other Roots, Celery, Ginger)
- Puréed tomatoes
- Soy granulate
- lots of red whine
- Finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
- Miso paste
- Finely chopped Shiitake Mushrooms

I usually make huge batches on Sunday to then take to work over the week.
I will vary them all the time by adding different things to try something new.

I had a great second day today.

Kept up with my water. Snacked on some baby carrots, made another soup of beans, rice and okra sprinkled with tofu pieces. At one point i started laughing because it had occured to me that i was full on very little (nutrition?).

I had one problem: i could not stop craving chocolate. I did not cave, however.

Good good!
I won't tell you about
vegan chocolate
then.

Dicktatorship

Why are you looking for tofu recipes specifically? Do you want to have something that looks and feels meat like to satisfy your cravings? The thread is full of tasty vegan dishes. :)

I-i don't have to eat only tofu and veggies? Really??? And I spent so much fucking money on only tofu and veggies. God damn it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I try to eat Vegan once or twice a day, but never eat any meat or dairy substitutes as they are vile try hards. Plenty of vegan protein that doesn't need to be something else, and some of the additives make it just as bad as eating a meat diet. Learn to love legumes, and tofu is good enough as it is to not be molded into something it is not!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What's wrong with mushrooms, I love mushrooms.

Ok, you know how some vegans are split on Honey because it is an animal byproduct that causes insects undue suffering, while others believe that it is relatively harmless and equivalent to the mass insect genocide that comes from raising crops, so they have no problem with that?

Well, some Vegans are like that about mushrooms, being fungi and all and not actually a plant. This can get super tricky if you know someone like this because it throws anything fermented with yeast into question.

I did hear some arguments about mushrooms, being a fungi and all, being in closer relation to living things than vegetables, though again, iffy.

Ok, you know how some vegans are split on Honey because it is an animal byproduct that causes insects undue suffering, while others believe that it is relatively harmless and equivalent to the mass insect genocide that comes from raising crops, so they have no problem with that?

Well, some Vegans are like that about mushrooms, being fungi and all and not actually a plant. This can get super tricky if you know someone like this because it throws anything fermented with yeast into question.

Yea, just been reading up on this.
Doesn't sound particularly convincing (or common) to me.

I don't eat Honey, but I will continue eating Fungi.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Let's be clear on this; it's only really fringey, scientifically confused vegans that do a no-go on mushrooms and yeast.

Lazyslob

Banned
if mushrooms are off the list you really need to slap people. people are now making it so hard to get into anything its stupid. AND if you are questioning youself about mushrooms just give up mother fucker cause youre done. you cant think for yourself so just quit

Dicktatorship

if mushrooms are off the list you really need to slap people. people are now making it so hard to get into anything its stupid. AND if you are questioning youself about mushrooms just give up mother fucker cause youre done. you cant think for yourself so just quit

I don't know if this is directed at me or not but I do love mushrooms.

iirate

Pasta sauce with roast veg/fried veg is easy; slice as many veg as can (that go with a tomato sauce), add a couple of tins of tomato (or more) and reduce till thick, add herbs and I like to add beans (normally chickpeas or butter beans)/lentils and add salt and stuff. Freeze once thick and use as a pizza sauce (blend) or pasta sauce.

And top with nooch (nutritional yeast).

My go to bulk meals for the week are
Vegan Korma
- Any veg I can find
- Coconut milk
- Korma Paste
- Various indian spices

Chilli Sin Carne
- Diced tomatoes
- Puréed tomatoes
- Onions
- Garlic
- Soy Granulate
- Red lentils
- Chillis
- Sweetcorn

Veggi Bolognese
- Finely choped or Blended Vegetables (Beetroot, Tomato, Carrots, other Roots, Celery, Ginger)
- Puréed tomatoes
- Soy granulate
- lots of red whine
- Finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
- Miso paste
- Finely chopped Shiitake Mushrooms

I usually make huge batches on Sunday to then take to work over the week.
I will vary them all the time by adding different things to try something new.

Thanks! ^_^

yonder

So, uh, bloating? Is it from the water, heavy veggies, getting accustomed to new diet? everything?
Going vegan made me feel a bit bloated for a week or so before it settled down, maybe due to the increase in fibre and overall bulk (I eat a lot more as a vegan than I did before). Eventually your stomach gets used to it, though. Now I feel great, and a lot more "lighter and cleaner" if that makes sense.

What veggies are the "meatiest"? I've often wanted to try a vegan (or vegetarian) dish but I'm very fond of the major protein + veggies + grain setup for meals. Ie: Pork + rice + grilled zucchini. Or stir fried beef Szechuan. In some cases, tofu and that sort of stuff can replace the major protein and you can still get a similar setup. What if I don't want tofu though? Or its too hard to find/expensive? What vegetables would be the best pick as the "star" of the dish? I want there to still be a distinction between the star veggie and the side veggies that accompany the dish.

*worth noting that I detest mushrooms. Can't stand them unless they are chopped super super finely as to be unnoticeable.

Dicktatorship

Since I don't have a car and felt like sleeping I gave my money to someone to pick me up some food off my list and get themselves something as a treat. I wake up and they were cooking hamburgers and only brought me home a bag of chips and nothing else from my list. When I asked them what I would be eating tonight since they refuse to go back into town they said "Oh I just figured you'd realize how ridiculous it was to not eat meat and just eat some hamburgers." Followed up by: "You're too poor to be picky about what you eat anyway." - Says the person eating food I paid for.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Firestar

Since I don't have a car and felt like sleeping I gave my money to someone to pick me up some food off my list and get themselves something as a treat. I wake up and they were cooking hamburgers and only brought me home a bag of chips and nothing else from my list. When I asked them what I would be eating tonight since they refuse to go back into town they said "Oh I just figured you'd realize how ridiculous it was to not eat meat and just eat some hamburgers." Followed up by: "You're too poor to be picky about what you eat anyway." - Says the person eating food I paid for.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

That's horrible, I'd be pissed, and probably would not want to talk to someone who did that to me. I feel sorry for you :(

In my experience, everyone has been extremely understanding. Usually even to the point where I feel bad for people going so far out of their way for me.

What veggies are the "meatiest"? I've often wanted to try a vegan (or vegetarian) dish but I'm very fond of the major protein + veggies + grain setup for meals. Ie: Pork + rice + grilled zucchini. Or stir fried beef Szechuan. In some cases, tofu and that sort of stuff can replace the major protein and you can still get a similar setup. What if I don't want tofu though? Or its too hard to find/expensive? What vegetables would be the best pick as the "star" of the dish? I want there to still be a distinction between the star veggie and the side veggies that accompany the dish.

*worth noting that I detest mushrooms. Can't stand them unless they are chopped super super finely as to be unnoticeable.

Erm, I somewhat understand what you are looking for, not why however.
I no longer make distinction between main dish and side dish, seems silly to me.
Back to what you want, depending on the dish I would say anything could be the 'star'-veggie. It's all a question of preparation.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

I don't think that what you are looking for depends on the particular vegetable you use, but more on how you prepare it. To make it look like the meals "primary" component, try to prepare stuffed vegetables. Pepper bells, aubergines, or zucchini work well for that. You can also take vegetables like kale and wrap them around a filling. Make some filling out of things like tofu, rice, lentils, beans, etc., and mix it nicely with spices, tomatoes, onions, nut paste, etc.

http://www.theppk.com/2011/05/ancho-lentil-tacos/

This recipe is the meatiest i have ever tatsed lentils. I use this as a substitutes for ground beef in pretty much anything.

Tempeh has a meaty feel to it. Goes great when you need a protein but need it be more solid than tofu.

Tofu is really going to be your easiest choice. If you buy some very dense stuff, Like trader joes super tofu. Its going to be your leanest and cleanest source of protein.

If you use really soft silken tofu you make a great eggg substitute. this is my favorite breakfast. A tofu egg scramble. Sometimes with some Soychorizo from traders joe and some has browns mixed in or on the side.

uubA00R.jpg

Top Bottom