• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

Tell me more, We have a Netto very close by.

as I see it, there are two different kinds of nettos. with a dog and without a dog.
netto-netto-nettozjua0mjiu.gif

I can only speak for the dog-free one, which at least used to have some creamy, milky kickass ice cream flavours by Lupinesse and just a lot of vegan products in general.
such as sweets but also "meaty" stuff.
they even have some vegan recipes on their website which is a big step for a normal discounter if you ask me

as I see it, there are two different kinds of nettos. with a dog and without a dog.
netto-netto-nettozjua0mjiu.gif

I can only speak for the dog-free one, which at least used to have some creamy, milky kickass ice cream flavours by Lupinesse and just a lot of vegan products in general.
such as sweets but also "meaty" stuff.
they even have some vegan recipes on their website which is a big step for a normal discounter if you ask me

Excellent I have the dog free one,
how very vegan
I'll have to check it out.

PSA for vegan Oktoberfest visitors.
Only one of the big tents offers vegan meals, the Marstall(its right at the main entrance to the right).
Most of the other big tents offer vegetarian meals, but nothing vegan, even salads come with yogurt sauce and usually the kitchen is unable to cater to special wishes because its way too busy.

PSA for vegan Oktoberfest visitors.
Only one of the big tents offers vegan meals, the Marstall(its right at the main entrance to the right).
Most of the other big tents offer vegetarian meals, but nothing vegan, even salads come with yogurt sauce and usually the kitchen is unable to cater to special wishes because its way too busy.

I'm staying as far away from the Teresienwiese as possible anyway. :p

yogurt salad dressing has been invented by the devil.

The waitress couldn't even tell us whether there is yogurt dressing on the salad or not when we ordered...

My brother is vegetarian and for vegetarians Oktoberfest improved a lot over the recent years, there are a couple of options to choose from for you everywhere. But for vegans its still a hassle.

I'm staying as far away from the Teresienwiese as possible anyway. :p

You shouldn't. Its always amazing.
Just know your limits.

yesterday i ordered a cream soda, because cream sods is delicious, at a Japanese restaurant and it had fucking skim milk. In a can with carbonation... i was so disappointed.

their vegan ramen was so delicious though.

Hello everyone :) ! Anyone have recommendations for vegan chocolate bar brands? I don't like dark chocolate, so I'm not sure it's going to be possible to find a good sweet substitute without the milk.

Hello everyone :) ! Anyone have recommendations for vegan chocolate bar brands? I don't like dark chocolate, so I'm not sure it's going to be possible to find a good sweet substitute without the milk.

you might wanna try some with truffle filling.
I don't know if you have this where you live, but in germany this is the tits (not bitter at all)

Famassu

Has anyone tried the pretty recent find that you can use the liquid that pre-soaked and cooked chickpeas sold in stores are stored in as something that works pretty much exactly like egg whites?

It's called aquafaba and it's kind of crazy how some (IIRC) French dude just kind of stumbled upon it accidentally quite recently. People have started experimenting with it a lot and are doing some pretty amazing things with it that might finally solve the biggest problem baking vegans have still had: how to replace eggs in things that really cannot exist without eggs or are somewhat pale imitations (they might still taste good, but the texture/"feel" is quite off). I haven't tried it myself, but the next time I make falafel I'll probably try something with the remainder aquafaba. I'll probably try to make something like this:

Here's the recipe & description how to make it from Swedish Vegan's facebook page:

1½ dl (2/3 C) aqua faba (the water in a can/jar of chickpeas)
2 dl (3/4 C) granulate sugar (you can use as much as 1C)
3 dl (1 ¼ C) flour
½ dl (1/4 C) oil

I only used a high 6 inch (15 cm) pan for this recipe but 7 inch will do without an increase of the batter. If your 6 inch pan is to low use baking paper to increase the hight of the pan as this cake rises high. For a much larger pan you need to increase the amounts
First whip the aqua faba and the sugar white and foamy – not meringue like though. It should thicken a bit and make ripples after the whisks and then it is done, it will take a few minutes. Then fold in the flour and oil and pour into your mold. Bake at 350°F/175*C for 45-50 minutes (for 6 inch pan – shorter for larger).

Has anyone tried the pretty recent find that you can use the liquid that pre-soaked and cooked chickpeas sold in stores are stored in as something that works pretty much exactly like egg whites?

It's called aquafaba and it's kind of crazy how some (IIRC) French dude just kind of stumbled upon it accidentally quite recently. People have started experimenting with it a lot and are doing some pretty amazing things with it that might finally solve the biggest problem baking vegans have still had: how to replace eggs in things that really cannot exist without eggs or are somewhat pale imitations (they might still taste good, but the texture/"feel" is quite off). I haven't tried it myself, but the next time I make falafel I'll probably try something with the remainder aquafaba. I'll probably try to make something like this:

Here's the recipe & description how to make it from Swedish Vegan's facebook page:

Intriguing. I will have to check that out.

Famassu

Just to note, some people have pointed out that if someone has a sensitive taste, they might taste the chickpea in the things that use aquafaba (especially if you make something simple like meringue), but others don't seem to have that "problem"

Also, it's kind of funny that we don't seem to know exactly WHY this works yet, it just does.

Just to note, some people have pointed out that if someone has a sensitive taste, they might taste the chickpea in the things that use aquafaba (especially if you make something simple like meringue), but others don't seem to have that "problem"

Also, it's kind of funny that we don't seem to know exactly WHY this works yet, it just does.

Now to figure out what to use the chickpeas for in a complimentary fashion. Humus on Victoria sponge cake doesn't sound right.

Famassu

Some spicy tomato-based sauce with maybe red peppers, carrots, spinach, broccoli and/or some other vegetables is always good with chickpeas.

Falafels, of course.

They work well in salads.

Frying them in sauteed onions & garlic + throwing in some strong spices (chili, garam masala, curry powder) & some vinegar makes for a nice little side thing with creamy mashed sweet potatoes or regular potatoes.

halfbeast

Banned

It's called aquafaba and it's kind of crazy how some (IIRC) French dude just kind of stumbled upon it accidentally quite recently. People have started experimenting with it a lot and are doing some pretty amazing things with it that might finally solve the biggest problem baking vegans have still had: how to replace eggs in things that really cannot exist without eggs or are somewhat pale imitations (they might still taste good, but the texture/"feel" is quite off). I haven't tried it myself, but the next time I make falafel I'll probably try something with the remainder aquafaba.

huh, that's crazy! any product that just has this aquafaba so I don't have to hoard cans of chickpeas?

aquafaba is a huge pain in the ass to make and some brands of bean liquid just doesnt work. I made little meringue chips before. They were yummy but a couple fell flat.

What has worked for me is any can of chickpeas labels organic works better, the liquid is usually thicker. If you have a blender? use that. My hand mixer took me over 15 minutes of hard mixing in a ceramic bowl on high to get peaks and even then some of the stuff decompressed when cooked.

it is a fun thing but im still waiting for Hampton creek to finally release Just Scrambled

Famassu

aquafaba is a huge pain in the ass to make and some brands of bean liquid just doesnt work. I made little meringue chips before. They were yummy but a couple fell flat.

What has worked for me is any can of chickpeas labels organic works better, the liquid is usually thicker. If you have a blender? use that. My hand mixer took me over 15 minutes of hard mixing in a ceramic bowl on high to get peaks and even then some of the stuff decompressed when cooked.

it is a fun thing but im still waiting for Hampton creek to finally release Just Scrambled
The problem is probably just you making meringue. :p You supposedly don't need to mix it for that long and it doesn't need to stay quite as firm when you use it in other things (like the cake recipe I posted). Though, sure, this isn't the perfect solution. It is A solution until scientist who want to strive for fewer animal products to be necessary can come up with something better (and then that stuff has to spread worldwide, which might take some extra time).

huh, that's crazy! any product that just has this aquafaba so I don't have to hoard cans of chickpeas?
I think other beans' liquids might work too, but otherwise no, aquafaba isn't something that you can buy separately in a bottle or anything. :) So yeah, this is still more inconvenient than simply being able to use eggs. Still, it's a start (maybe this will lead to someone inventing mass-producable aquafaba or aquafaba-like product) and, really, the fact remains that most things can be done perfectly well without eggs while getting incredibly close or basically identical to egg-including versions. This is good for the few things that are vastly superior with eggs or even kind of impossible/extremely hard without some food lab of your own.

you might wanna try some with truffle filling.

has really milk chocolately vegan bars buts in only in canada. You could try and make your own by adding some coconut milk.

GOAT Chocolate

Not sure where you live but I think Plamil (uk made, but I know it is available in other parts of the world) is pretty good

Thanks for the responses! I live in the US (which I noticed none of you do haha) but hopefully I can find some of these on Amazon or something.

Thanks for the responses! I live in the US (which I noticed none of you do haha) but hopefully I can find some of these on Amazon or something.

you may be able to find these somewhere:
20121123-christmas-choc-selection-box-gomaxgo-1-packs.jpg

they're basically equivalent to all the "regular" chocolate bars out there. :>
just check out your local organic stores and supermarkets or other places where vegan stuff is more likely to be found

DJ_Lae

Can you make your own by cooking dried beans a little longer, or reserving the soaking liquid, sitting in the fridge after cooking, or something? I generally don't keep canned chickpeas on hand (except for emergency hummus) but have a ton of dried ones.

Would be good as I have a couple of vegan relatives and eggs are something I've never been able to replicate with any degree of success.

Got to be better than applesauce or soaked flaxseeds, at least.

they're basically equivalent to all the "regular" chocolate bars out there. :> just check out your local organic stores and supermarkets or other places where vegan stuff is more likely to be found

Oh wow, those look really cool. Yeah, I'll be sure to check out Trader Joe's or something. I just wanted to get a few opinions first because the bars can get reeaally pricey so I'm trying to narrow down options & not waste a good chunk of money running through taste tests on different brands .__.

Celegus

+1 to the aquafaba train here. 15oz organic cans of chickpeas at Aldi are 79 cents and they're one of my favorite things to toss into just about anything. My wife and I tear through cans like crazy, so a use for all that juice has been pretty awesome.

Oh wow, those look really cool. Yeah, I'll be sure to check out Trader Joe's or something. I just wanted to get a few opinions first because the bars can get reeaally pricey so I'm trying to narrow down options & not waste a good chunk of money running through taste tests on different brands .__.

Trader Joe's is my go-to, but you said you don't care for dark chocolate. I am in love with those huge Pound Plus Super Dark bars (the one in red packaging), have a square of that with dinner every night.

ricki42

you may be able to find these somewhere:

they're basically equivalent to all the "regular" chocolate bars out there. :>
just check out your local organic stores and supermarkets or other places where vegan stuff is more likely to be found

Do those still exist? I haven't seen them in stores in ages. Some of them I've never seen anywhere.

Famassu

Can you make your own by cooking dried beans a little longer, or reserving the soaking liquid, sitting in the fridge after cooking, or something? I generally don't keep canned chickpeas on hand (except for emergency hummus) but have a ton of dried ones.

Would be good as I have a couple of vegan relatives and eggs are something I've never been able to replicate with any degree of success.

Got to be better than applesauce or soaked flaxseeds, at least.
Yeah, reading more about it, you should be able to make it from your own dried chickpeas. And apparently all other legumes work as well, even the liquid tofu is kept in should work after some reducing.

Anyways, yeah, you should be able to cook dried chickpeas & other legumes like you regularly do and then just don't throw the water away. You'll possibly have to reduce it until it's a bit thicker (but not too thick). It's probably something that you'll need to tamper with a few times to get the right thickness that works well. There's a Facebook group that apparently has some how-to-DIY instructions, but I haven't looked into them yet.

Also, if someone feels like the taste of chickpeas is so strong to them that it comes through in the taste of whatever they make, they might want to try some other, more neutral tasting beans (butter beans, for example).

Looking into this more now, it seems like this can work as an egg yolk like binder as well, when making veggie burgers. Seems like maybe the only thing that aquafaba does NOT do at all is being able to be cooked into scrambled eggs like thing. :p

Anyhoo, I found this instruction to making your own aquafaba

*Measure and rinse 4 cups of organic dried chickpeas.

*Cover with cool water and let soak overnight *(Soaking is not totally necessary, but some people like to soak and discard the soaking water before cooking. I'm one of those people.)

*In the morning, drain and rinse beans, cover with fresh water, cover and cook. I use a slow cooker, but you can use a pot on the stove, a pressure cooker or Instant pot. I slow cook mine overnight.

*Let the beans cool, drain liquid into a container. THIS is aquafaba, liquid gold! Do not discard.

*Place the cooked beans back in the slow cooker (or another pot with a lid) and cover with fresh water about 2 inches over top of the beans. Place beans in the fridge and let soak for 24 hours. Drain this liquid and use as aquafaba. It will not be as dark as the first drained liquid, but it will still work well.

*Use the cooked beans. Refrigerate, freeze or dehydrate the leftover beans. *See the recipes for using cooked beans in the Files section.

*Use the aquafaba. Refrigerate or freeze the leftover aquafaba. Chilled aquafaba will thicken up and even coagulate. This is GOOD!

3 Tablespoons aquafaba = 1 whole egg
2 Tablespoons aquafaba = 1 egg white

All credit go to a certain V.H. from Aquafaba Everything facebook group (don't know if she'd want her name here so I won't put her full name here).

Seems like you can soak the chickpeas in another batch of water after pouring the initial water they were cooked in into a container to get another batch of aquafaba out of a batch of dried chickpeas. This instruction doesn't talk about reducing, so I'm not sure if it's usable as soon as it has cooled down or if there's maybe some extra reducing needed. Probably depends on how much liquid you cook & soak the chickpeas in.

Another thing of note is that you can freeze aquafaba and it'll work just fine when melted. Means you don't necessarily have to open up 10 cans of chickpeas if you don't cook them yourself and use the aquafaba at once, but can freeze the stuff whenever you use a single can and use the aquafaba once you've collected enough of it through "regular" use of chickpeas, whatever that means in anyone's diet.

DJ_Lae

That's awesome, thanks for the recipe!

I recall the general bean recipe for a pressure cooking book mentions to save the reserved cooking liquid and that it will probably thicken on cooling. So it makes sense that it would be useful for something like this - though I expected more of a way to boost vegetable stock than anything, to be honest.

Totally going to try this out this weekend.

KAOz

Short bus special
Been a meat-eater all my life. Will probably keep going that route since I simply love meat and dairy way too much.

But! Lately I have been going more and more vegan. I love the foods and I love to cook it. So this thread is amazing.
Specially learning about all the substitutes and to be honest; alot of the time the substitutes makes it even better. And I have been making a rule to always eat and cook new vegan things every day of the weekends.

Love this thread. And love vegan food.

So keep going and one day I might be going full-time vegan.

Liljagare

40 pounds of chanterelles, 12 pumpkins from the lot, 40 zuchinnis, 120 ears of corn and 200 beets.

I'm set for the winter.. :p

Famassu

So I made a batch of aquafaba out of dried chickpeas yesterday. Will try the sponge cake recipe I posted earlier in this thread. Let's see what comes out at the other end~ :S

Famassu

As always with first tries, something went wrong. My self-made aquafaba seemed to work like it was supposed to.

It became foamy after whisking it somewhere along ~15 minutes, give or take a few minutes. The cake dough seemed pretty normal and like-it-had-eggs-ish, but I'm not sure if I didn't quite mix all the ingredients correctly/properly or if I should've kept whisking the aquafaba a while longer (or less) or what, because the end product had this kind of... "hat" on it that was noticeably different in taste & texture.

It almost felt like somehow a part of the sugar used in the dough kind of rose on the top and melted and formed a kind of hard top to the sponge cake or something. I'm hoping it's just because I didn't mix the dough quite thoroughly enough and so maybe the dough on the bottom that was poured on top was just slightly different in texture. Anyways, it wasn't a total failure. The bottom looked like this and apart from the weird "hat", it was all spongy like that from the inside too:

The edges were a bit too dry/hard, so in the end I had to cut the edges off, which made the cake quite small. Anyhooo, I moisturised the sponge cake halves with sweetened (with granular sugar) citrus juice and put Alpro's whipped soy cream and blueberries in between two sponge cakes and then covered it all in the whipped cream. It's tasty and pretty close to the egg-y version I used to make, apart from some texture-consistency issues (there were some firmer spots in the sponge), which sometimes happened with my egg-version if I made the dough a bit carelessly.

All-in-all I'm pretty happy with this first try. This is SO much better than any vegan sponge cake like recipe I've tried in the past, which have been kind of sucky in my opinion (not sure if that's just because I've failed making them right or if they are just really supposed to be that way even in the best case scenario). Their taste has been kind of off and they've been really hard to keep intact while "building" the cake. But this had the sponginess, taste & firmness of a sponge cake made with egg, so I'm really happy about it.

Top Bottom