• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

Have you tried the new Daiya wedges? They just redid their recipe so it has a lot less oil. I find it to be a noticeable improvement over the old formula. Of course, I also *love* that stuff, and when we make pizza we slather it on pretty heavily.

Daigoro

ribz4.jpg

made this BBQ seitan recently. super easy to make and really good. even good cold. cant wait to fire up the grill and do it again. (i just baked it this time, it was snowing out...)

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/05/barbecued-seitan-ribz.html

Daigoro

Have you tried the new Daiya wedges? They just redid their recipe so it has a lot less oil. I find it to be a noticeable improvement over the old formula. Of course, I also *love* that stuff, and when we make pizza we slather it on pretty heavily.

last time i tried it, it was super dry and weird tasting. not sure i like the change.

Since I just gained employment, I want to switch over to being vegan. I was vegetarian for almost 2.5 years so that part was easy but pulling out animal products entirely will be a whole thing I've never done before.

Any recommendations for getting started? I moved to Chicago so for grocery options I have Jewel Osco, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods.

Any great resources for this? Recipes? Tips to make veggies and fruit last a bit longer? I'm open to any and all knowledge about this.

Pinkuss

Since I just gained employment, I want to switch over to being vegan. I was vegetarian for almost 2.5 years so that part was easy but pulling out animal products entirely will be a whole thing I've never done before.

Any recommendations for getting started? I moved to Chicago so for grocery options I have Jewel Osco, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods.

Any great resources for this? Recipes? Tips to make veggies and fruit last a bit longer? I'm open to any and all knowledge about this.

Nutritional Yeast, if you like lt; tastes like parmesan (ish) and if fortified high in B12 (and Zinc etc). B12 being the major deficiency in Vegans. Iron should be easy to hit if you pile green veg and legumes into everything.

As for Veg I get as much frozen as possible, or tinned. Can't help on shopping options as UK here but good luck :)

I recommend doing research on fast food places too, some takeaways have milk in their dough but since discovering many Vegan pizza places (pizza sans cheese) I'm in heaven.

DJ_Lae

made this BBQ seitan recently. super easy to make and really good. even good cold. cant wait to fire up the grill and do it again. (i just baked it this time, it was snowing out...)

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/05/barbecued-seitan-ribz.html

Thanks, I'm totally trying this. I've had a bag of gluten that I bought with the intent of making seitan but I never got around to it. I always get lazy and just braise regular ribs, but I liked seitan the one time I tried it and I always like trying to make various things at home at least once.

I have enough in the bag to make a few batches I would imagine.

I just need to pick up some nutritional yeast. Have a feeling most grocery stores won't carry that here, I'll have to go to a specialty place.

Futureman

I'm not vegan but I have the cookbook "Oh She Glows." My friend had it when I visited him last year and I thought it would be fun to get the same cookbook and share our success with various recipes.

I LOVE cooking vegan. Like... I don't even really have interest in cooking meat. It's really fun trying new veggies. Recently discovered I'm a big fan of edamame!

anyways, might wanna try that InfiniteBento. Lots of tasty recipes, only $15 on Amazon and nearly 800 reviews near 5 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1583335277/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nutritional Yeast, if you like lt; tastes like parmesan (ish) and if fortified high in B12 (and Zinc etc). B12 being the major deficiency in Vegans. Iron should be easy to hit if you pile green veg and legumes into everything.

As for Veg I get as much frozen as possible, or tinned. Can't help on shopping options as UK here but good luck :)

I recommend doing research on fast food places too, some takeaways have milk in their dough but since discovering many Vegan pizza places (pizza sans cheese) I'm in heaven.

I will definitely look into that. Thanks so much for the tip! Any recommendations for vitamins too perhaps?

I'm not vegan but I have the cookbook "Oh She Glows." My friend had it when I visited him last year and I thought it would be fun to get the same cookbook and share our success with various recipes.

I LOVE cooking vegan. Like... I don't even really have interest in cooking meat. It's really fun trying new veggies. Recently discovered I'm a big fan of edamame!

anyways, might wanna try that InfiniteBento. Lots of tasty recipes, only $15 on Amazon and nearly 800 reviews near 5 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1583335277/?tag=neogaf0e-20

when I get my first big paycheck, I will splurge and get this. It sounds awesome. Thank you so much !

I will definitely look into that. Thanks so much for the tip! Any recommendations for vitamins too perhaps?

Key is to have a very diverse diet. I try new fruit and veg all the time.
As for specific vitamins.

I have a table in which I have listed the top 4-5 vegan sources for most nutrients. I try to eat everything on that list on a regular basis.

Oh wow. That's an incredible chart. I will definitely save that and use it for my next grocery run. :) Gonna look up some vegan recipes and such too. I'm really excited to change up my diet and get back into being healthy.

I'm going to slowly go back into being vegetarian then make my way to vegan. Adjusting my diet as I go so I can get to know it better and be more comfortable. I'll keep posting in here as I go along so I can get more pointers. Seeing everyone's posts in here really inspires me to give this a serious go finally. I've always been a little hesitant considering I don't like most veggies.

I struggle with leafy greens really badly. Most of it tastes like bitter grass to me so I end up gagging when I eat it :( I try to force myself but it doesn't work out well. Any idea how I can also work with this?

Oh wow. That's an incredible chart. I will definitely save that and use it for my next grocery run. :) Gonna look up some vegan recipes and such too. I'm really excited to change up my diet and get back into being healthy.

I'm going to slowly go back into being vegetarian then make my way to vegan. Adjusting my diet as I go so I can get to know it better and be more comfortable. I'll keep posting in here as I go along so I can get more pointers. Seeing everyone's posts in here really inspires me to give this a serious go finally. I've always been a little hesitant considering I don't like most veggies.

I struggle with leafy greens really badly. Most of it tastes like bitter grass to me so I end up gagging when I eat it :( I try to force myself but it doesn't work out well. Any idea how I can also work with this?

I've never tried bitter grass, so not sure what that tastes like. :p

Anyway it's all a question of preparation I would say.
For example you can chop spinach really fine add something creamy to it and it will have a completely different texture than 'just' cooked spinach.

So we bought Tempeh for the first time last week. Any good suggestions what to do with it?

I've never tried bitter grass, so not sure what that tastes like. :p

Anyway it's all a question of preparation I would say.
For example you can chop spinach really fine add something creamy to it and it will have a completely different texture than 'just' cooked spinach.

I can't help that it tastes bitter lol :(

I don't know what to do to spice up leafy greens aside from making salads. Spinach and kale are okay. I can't get into arugula and watercress though. Its too much for me for some reason. Maybe I just cant have leafy greens raw or something..

I can't help that it tastes bitter lol :(

I don't know what to do to spice up leafy greens aside from making salads. Spinach and kale are okay. I can't get into arugula and watercress though. Its too much for me for some reason. Maybe I just cant have leafy greens raw or something..

Well I would say with spinach and kale you have most of your bases covered. Just give your taste buds time to adjust try the others in moderation add them to other strong flavoured foods.

Daigoro

very cool. you can do it! if it's something you're serious about and committed to, it's going to be easy.

as for getting started, there is going to be some more label studying. there are some weird ingredients out there derived from some strange sources (like Cystine! found in a lot of commercial baked goods it can contain either feathers or human hair. yum!). its going to take a little while to get used to label reading, but its not that hard and eventually you rarely have to even bother. obviously products labeled vegan are presumed to be safe. the easiest way to figure out whats what is to google the ingredient you are unsure of along with other key words like vegan, animal ingredients, etc. i bought a kindle book called Animal Ingredients A-Z a while back that's been a good resource.

mistakes will happen, dont sweat it. you'll learn from them.

ive found one of the keys to making produce last longer is to not buy too much at once for a start. if you can eat it all in time, it will go to waste. something you can leave around forever (i find that pears and certain types of apples like Pink Ladies last forever int he fridge. as well as packaged romaine hearts) and have them stay fresh and some stuff rots quickly.

here is a great page by the lovely Dreen Burton about buying. prepping and storing greens). I've found that her cookbooks also have some great info about this stuff and kitchen/pantry tips in general.

there are thousands of recipes online. check out plantpoweredkitchen.com, post punk kitchen, fat free vegan, vegan dad's blog, and the various vegan reddits for a lot of options. two of my favorite cookbooks to cook from are Burtons Eat, Drink, Be Vegan (love this book, and lately ive been making a lot of stuff from Vegan On the Cheap from Robin RObertson who also has a blog. On the Cheap is probably a good starter book without too many esoteric ingredients or overly complicated recipes, EDB Vegan is a bit fancier, but i think both are great books.

finding recipes wont be a problem at all. once you get a decent pantry stocked, whipping up food will require a lot less trips to the market.

feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

edit: oh vitamins! like FliX posted, a diverse diet is really the key. veggies and grains have a lot of vitamins in them already. all you need in fact. that and a B12 Supplement (caution, not all nutritional yeasts are fortified with B12! you'll have to check the ingredients). i got a good spray bottle of B12 on Amazon recently thats easy and tasty. im sure there are a multitude of vegan vitamins available should you need them.

Anyone wanting to go vegan should get the Veganomicon. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best vegan cookbook ever.

So we bought Tempeh for the first time last week. Any good suggestions what to do with it?

Tempeh crisps up really nicely, so I'd suggest tempeh bacon. Marinade it in liquid smoke and tamari, then fry it up. It can't hurt to steam it first, too, so that it absords the flavours better.

I have been eating meat my whole life...

I have the utmost respect for people living the vegan lifestyle, but somehow it never worked out for me when I tried..

My new girlfriend though is a lifelong vegetarian, and at home she usually eats only vegan.

So, around the last two weeks i experimented a bit with soja flakes, cooking a bolognaise, and unfortunately it seems that I am allergic to soja in that concentration (never had problems with soja sauce, for instance, or any other food related thing). It tasted good enough though, imo. Could give up regular bolognaise, too bad that my tongue feels weird and my stomach turns upside down after eating..

The only two or three things that I usually cook that are kind of vegetarian/(or even vegan) is my tomato pasta, pesto pasta, and a green veggie curry.

Everything else usually has some meat ingredients (however small) in them.

Could you gimme some (starting) ideas for some dishes that a life long meat eater like myself could easily add to my usual diet?

I will probably never give up eating meat completely, but I would love to reduce my consumption as much as possible..

I have been eating meat my whole life...

I have the utmost respect for people living the vegan lifestyle, but somehow it never worked out for me when I tried..

My new girlfriend though is a lifelong vegetarian, and at home she usually eats only vegan.

So, around the last two weeks i experimented a bit with soja flakes, cooking a bolognaise, and unfortunately it seems that I am allergic to soja in that concentration (never had problems with soja sauce, for instance, or any other food related thing). It tasted good enough though, imo. Could give up regular bolognaise, too bad that my tongue feels weird and my stomach turns upside down after eating..

The only two or three things that I usually cook that are kind of vegetarian/(or even vegan) is my tomato pasta, pesto pasta, and a green veggie curry.

Everything else usually has some meat ingredients (however small) in them.

Could you gimme some (starting) ideas for some dishes that a life long meat eater like myself could easily add to my usual diet?

I will probably never give up eating meat completely, but I would love to reduce my consumption as much as possible..

Well where to begin.
For your situation I would just start with your regular meals and start leaving out the meat and adding something else instead. If soy is a no go, try all manner of other ingredients.
Depending on what you cook, just leave out the meat and add more variety of vegetables.
Bolognese for example is a great dish you can make completely meat and meat substitute free. It's so god with loads of finely diced veggies.

It might be worth trying if all types of soy make you feel bad, maybe some things work better than others. Is soy milk/cream ok? You'll have to try all sorts of things and see how they affect you.

Something we often revert back to is a simple creamy curry. Dice all vegetables I can find add coconut milk, ground almonds and various indian spices (Cardamon, Tumeric, Cumin, Coriander) maybe some curry paste and eat that as is or with rice or nan-bread.

very cool. you can do it! if it's something you're serious about and committed to, it's going to be easy.

as for getting started, there is going to be some more label studying. there are some weird ingredients out there derived from some strange sources (like Cystine! found in a lot of commercial baked goods it can contain either feathers or human hair. yum!). its going to take a little while to get used to label reading, but its not that hard and eventually you rarely have to even bother. obviously products labeled vegan are presumed to be safe. the easiest way to figure out whats what is to google the ingredient you are unsure of along with other key words like vegan, animal ingredients, etc. i bought a kindle book called Animal Ingredients A-Z a while back that's been a good resource.

mistakes will happen, dont sweat it. you'll learn from them.

ive found one of the keys to making produce last longer is to not buy too much at once for a start. if you can eat it all in time, it will go to waste. something you can leave around forever (i find that pears and certain types of apples like Pink Ladies last forever int he fridge. as well as packaged romaine hearts) and have them stay fresh and some stuff rots quickly.

here is a great page by the lovely Dreen Burton about buying. prepping and storing greens). I've found that her cookbooks also have some great info about this stuff and kitchen/pantry tips in general.

there are thousands of recipes online. check out plantpoweredkitchen.com, post punk kitchen, fat free vegan, vegan dad's blog, and the various vegan reddits for a lot of options. two of my favorite cookbooks to cook from are Burtons Eat, Drink, Be Vegan (love this book, and lately ive been making a lot of stuff from Vegan On the Cheap from Robin RObertson who also has a blog. On the Cheap is probably a good starter book without too many esoteric ingredients or overly complicated recipes, EDB Vegan is a bit fancier, but i think both are great books.

finding recipes wont be a problem at all. once you get a decent pantry stocked, whipping up food will require a lot less trips to the market.

feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

edit: oh vitamins! like FliX posted, a diverse diet is really the key. veggies and grains have a lot of vitamins in them already. all you need in fact. that and a B12 Supplement (caution, not all nutritional yeasts are fortified with B12! you'll have to check the ingredients). i got a good spray bottle of B12 on Amazon recently thats easy and tasty. im sure there are a multitude of vegan vitamins available should you need them.

This is so informative. I have such a huge grocery list right now. I'll need to learn how to cook with yeast too considering I've never done so before. I should also pick up some b12. I'm going to go to trader joes today and see what small stuff I can find to try out and begin slowly transitioning. First thing will be to remove all meat from my diet and make sure I replace it with good heavy iron & protein packed foods.

Any recommendations for using beans? Are lentils good too? I'd love to figure out some recipes with those packed in there with a ton of flavor.

The one thing I think I will struggle with is that I love cheese :(

Daigoro

lentils are amazing and easy as hell to use in a lot of dishes. they can be used in making veggie burgers, soups, taco's etc. you can just throw them in with pasta and tomato sauce or any other kind of sauce you want for some protein. they really easy to make. it's always good to have some around.

a couple of good lentil recipes:

http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/recipes/french-lentil-soup/
http://www.theppk.com/2011/05/ancho-lentil-tacos/

here's a page on protein: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

protein shouldnt really be an issue. for iron, you're going to want to get on those green veggies! broccoli, spinach etc. also lentils! http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

beans are insanely versatile. check this thread for a bunch of recipes that have been posted. check out the chickpeas salad sandwich one i posted. one of the easiest things to do with beans is cook them up with some onions and oil (maybe some garlic and onion powder), throw them in a wrap with salsa, lettuce, tomato or whatever (oh avacado!) and go to town. use black beans, white beans, or pintos. or a combo, whatever you got. it's a super easy go to recipe that i fall back on all the time. use them in chilis, soups, burgers, etc.

for cooking with yeast (i assume you're talking about nutritional yeast, or "nooch"!), its pretty simple. i can be an acquired taste, but a lot of people think it tastes amazing (including me). also if you're like me, your taste palate can change a lot when you stop eating meat/dairy and expand your diet to eating vegan.

yeast has a kind of nutty/cheesy flavor that goes great on thing like popcorn and toast with some vegan spread like Earth balance. you can sprinkle it on top of pasta and similar dishes. and it can be used in making things like the seitan ribs i posted above, or in a lot of sauces. it can be addictive stuff!

it's also used in a lot of vegan cheese recipes!
http://thesimpleveganista.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-sprinkling-we-go-almond-parmesan.html
http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/recipes/raw_vegan_cashew_cheese
i also have a real good cheesy sauce recipe in a book at home. if you remind me i can copy it for you. there's probably a crapload of nooch cheeses on the web.

dairy is hard for a lot of people to give up. there are lot's of alternatives now. plenty of commercial vegan cream cheeses, slices, and shreds on the market for your convenience. you'll have to ask or experiment to see which ones you like, they can vary in taste and quality.

like quitting anything you have to really not want to do it anymore. if you're going vegan for ethical/moral reasons, it's going to be a hell of a lot easier to give up honestly. just think about where that cheese truly came from, and how much suffering it took to get that cheese makes it look a lot less appetizing.

derFeef

Great post Daigoro! Lentils and Beans are amazing indeed.
My town is slowly transforming into a vegan wonderland, great stuff. Sure some big corporations try to push into the market too, but I try to support the smaller stores and restaurants, with the right vegan basic idea.

Laekon

There is a lot of variety in lentils and beans to. Just last night I made a red lentil, sweet potato, and kale Indian inspired dish that turned out great. Just cooked a bunch of spices(cinnamon, cardamon, cumin seeds, turmeric, chile powder, etc by eye no measuring) in the bottom of a pan for 2 minutes then added oil, onion, ginger, bell pepper, and garlic. After that got soft I added the stock, sweet potato, and lentils for 10 minutes. Add the kale for just a few minutes more and its done. It tasted even better today after sitting in the fridge. The red lentils break apart which adds a nice thick texture. Green lentils stay firm if you want that and also take longer to cook. I used chicken stock and butter cause it's what I had but plain water and coconut milk is what I normally use. I eat meat most meals but something like this is so quick, easy, and filling there is no need for it. Add some naan from trader joes and I'd be set for days.

Green lentil and yellow or red potato soup is another vegan favorite of mine.

Daigoro

oh yeah, lentils, greens, spices and some taters make a tasty healthy dish.

red lentils are great too. dont think i ever even had them until several years ago, but im glad i finally found out about them.

Great post Daigoro! Lentils and Beans are amazing indeed.
My town is slowly transforming into a vegan wonderland, great stuff. Sure some big corporations try to push into the market too, but I try to support the smaller stores and restaurants, with the right vegan basic idea.

must be nice! what town is that again?

Subscribed. I've been vegan for one year and two months. Thank you for the OT, OP!

My favorite thing to do, which is incredibly simple, is to roll through the produce section and grab as many different fresh, raw veggies as possible, and chop it all up into a salad. Last one had:

Romaine
Spinach
Parsley
Green Onion
Celery
Cucumber
Brocolli
Carrot
Radish
Beet
Jicama
Portabella
Avacado
Lemon Juice

update: did it!
eggplant felt a bit dry, maybe I'll use some olive oil next time too. or slice it thinner
suprised how easy it is to make some vegan cream cheese with just tofu, nutritional yeast and some seasoning though. I could easily eat this on bread or just dip something in it.

Daigoro

I have some Tempeh. Any idea what I do with it? (it's a block which was frozen).

huh never seen frozen tempeh before. have you ever eaten it? some people insist that it tastes bitter unless you steam it first, but ive never had that issue. i like the way it tastes. you can steam and marinade it first though if you like.

you can do a lot of stuff with it. ive had a tempeh loaf that was insanely good. tempeh rubens are awesome. you can just stir fry it up with some kind of sauce and veggies and just eat it like that, maybe coat it with some flour or corn starch for a crispy coating. try it with some peanut sauce, BBQ sauce, etc.

just google some recipes and see what sounds interesting. i baked some this week with a sauce that i whipped up with tamari, sesame oil, vinegar, peanut butter and sriracha. had that on top of an Korean cabbage style salad. it was dope.

oh, and i forgot about tempeh bacon for BLT's or whatever. you can buy it premade or make it yourself. there;s a lot of recipes out there.

derFeef

We tried tempeh once for supplement but did not have luck with the taste. But we love it in our favourite restaurant, baked beans with tempeh "bacon". Really good stuff. I guess we need to try further :)

Pinkuss

I boiled it then marinated in soy, oil and some raddish/chilli paste I had and baked.

Was okay but definitely prefer tofu for my fermented soy needs.

Next up I'm going to make seitan, apparently it's quite easy with wheat gluten and fairly cheap.

I boiled it then marinated in soy, oil and some raddish/chilli paste I had and baked.

Was okay but definitely prefer tofu for my fermented soy needs.

Next up I'm going to make seitan, apparently it's quite easy with wheat gluten and fairly cheap.

The worst thing about making seitan is the cleanup afterwards -- gluten gets incredibly sticky, and it clings to every surface it touches.

Apart from that, though, it's pretty easy. My wife makes it about once a week, and it keeps for the week really well. Make sure you add some good spices to it, though, or else it's pretty bland. I've also seen some people add chickpea flour, and that's worth trying too -- gluten meat can be really, really dense, so the chickpea flour helps in that respect.

Oooh, and fry it before eating it. That firms it up nicely.

I'm looking for a new smart (black) belt to replace my old worn out leather one.
A hemp rope just won't cut it. :p Anyone know of any good sources for such things? Preferably in Europe.

ricki42

I'm looking for a new smart (black) belt to replace my old worn out leather one.
A hemp rope just won't cut it. :p Anyone know of any good sources for such things? Preferably in Europe.

Have you checked vegetarian-shoes or ethicalwares? I don't think I've ever bought a belt from them, but I've had shoes from both that were decent.
If you don't mind somewhat cheaper quality, you could also check local department stores or fashion stores, I've seen many cheaper belts that are fake leather.

Pinkuss

Let us know if you need any help/idea.

I'd advise researching B12/Iron containing foods/supplements so you don't feel lethargic etc. I get most my iron from beans/lentils/green veg and B12 from Nutritional Yeast/Barocca (B12/energy supplements).

We cooked very tasty Cauliflower Cheese today.

Just cut and cook some cauliflower and fill it into a baking dish.
Make some Cheezy sauce from Bake and Destroy add some blended/finely chopped broccoli to the sauce and fill the baking dish with it so that all the cauliflower is covered.
Then sprinkle crushed almonds and breadcrumbs on top and bake for 30 minutes.

We served it with roasted sweet potato cubes.

Yum Yum.

Futureman

I ate honey this morning and I guess most vegans don't?

what about farmers who keep bees to pollinate their crops? I guess since you aren't eating an animal product, and it's more like you are using the labor of another organism?

what about farmers who keep bees to pollinate their crops? I guess since you aren't eating an animal product, and it's more like you are using the labor of another organism?
This is like saying putting a fountain in your yard is enslaving the local avians for your own visual amusement. Having a mutually beneficial arrangement isn't the same as exploitation.

Futureman

This is like saying putting a fountain in your yard is enslaving the local avians for your own visual amusement. Having a mutually beneficial arrangement isn't the same as exploitation.

hmm well how about this...

"Many intensive crop systems now rely heavily on “renting” honeybee hives for the crop flowering season to maintain productivity. This demand has caused parallel intensification of the honeybee (or pollination) industry. And this intensification means that a commercial honeybee now leads an itinerant existence, despite its inherently “sedentary” nature.

Today, commercial honeybees are loaded on and off trucks and shipped around the country to follow crop blooms. They are under constant physical stress, continuously adapting and re-adapting to new climates, microclimates, landscapes, and floral resources. In between jobs, they are force-fed sugar syrup or other unnatural diets, a practice that affects the health of the hive.

They are also exposed more frequently to pesticides, some of which have recently been proven to be lethal to hive survival. This lifestyle is not salubrious for the bees – it can only benefit the pests and diseases that thrive in intensively-managed, stressed communities."

hmm well how about this...

"Many intensive crop systems now rely heavily on “renting” honeybee hives for the crop flowering season to maintain productivity. This demand has caused parallel intensification of the honeybee (or pollination) industry. And this intensification means that a commercial honeybee now leads an itinerant existence, despite its inherently “sedentary” nature.

Today, commercial honeybees are loaded on and off trucks and shipped around the country to follow crop blooms. They are under constant physical stress, continuously adapting and re-adapting to new climates, microclimates, landscapes, and floral resources. In between jobs, they are force-fed sugar syrup or other unnatural diets, a practice that affects the health of the hive.

They are also exposed more frequently to pesticides, some of which have recently been proven to be lethal to hive survival. This lifestyle is not salubrious for the bees – it can only benefit the pests and diseases that thrive in intensively-managed, stressed communities."
Yeah, that's why vegans don't eat honey. Are you also advocating we don't each vegerables?

Futureman

Yeah, that's why vegans don't eat honey. Are you also advocating we don't each vegerables?

that whole quote is about farmers using bees to pollinate vegetable crops, not make honey.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory or anything, just trying to learn. Like do some vegans avoid vegetables from farms that use bees like that?

also, do you vegans avoid foods that say.... "May contain traces of milk, egg, ....."

?

I ignore said information on a package. For me it means that at the other end of the factory hall someone might have had an egg sandwich while production was running.
I know it really means something with those ingredients was made on the same line at some time.
It's important information for people with strong allergies but not for vegans imho.

As for Honey, I don't eat honey.
It is taken away from the colony just like milk is taken away from a mother instead of letting her feed her young with it.
I use agave sirup in anything that 'usually' requires honey.

that whole quote is about farmers using bees to pollinate vegetable crops, not make honey.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory or anything, just trying to learn. Like do some vegans avoid vegetables from farms that use bees like that?
Veganism isn't a religion. It's people trying to make the world a better place however they can and/or eating a diet less damaging to their bodies. Some Vegans might only eat the fruit of their own gardens. Some might eat a shitload of processed foods. But to answer your question more personally, if I had the choice, I would always opt for buying from the less complicit entity. If there were an accessible Vegan grocery or market, I would give them 100% of my business.

I have no idea whether the produce I buy comes from farms that use rented bees from colonies that take their honey. I buy vegetables and fruits from a variety of grocers. Thank you for bringing this niggling detail to light.

Now, if you'd brought up this mistreatment of bees in its own thread or in an animal rights thread, you'd get a far different response from me. The article you quote paints a very disturbing picture of rather cruel treatment of animals.

You can understand how it looks for a non-vegan coming into the Vegan OT with accusations of hypocrisy. That is why I Edit: found your stated motives dubious.

Vegans don't eat nor use animal products. Honey is essentially bee vomit and is used to feed other bees, it's in many ways comparable to consuming milk. So a true vegan would never use honey.

Futureman

Veganism isn't a religion. It's people trying to make the world a better place however they can and/or eating a diet less damaging to our bodies. Some Vegans might only eat the fruit of their own gardens. Some might eat a shitload of processed foods. But to answer your question more personally, if I had the choice, I would always opt for buying from the less complicit entity. If there were an accessible Vegan grocery or market, I would give them 100% of my business.

I have no idea whether the produce I buy comes from farms that use rented bees from colonies that take their honey. I buy vegetables and fruits from a variety of grocers. Thank you for bringing this niggling detail to light.

Now, if you'd brought up this mistreatment of bees in its own thread or in an animal rights thread, you'd get a far different response from me. The article you quote paints a very disturbing picture of rather cruel treatment of animals. You can understand how it looks for a non-vegan coming into the Vegan OT with accusations of hypocrisy. That is why I find your stated motives dubious.

well I said I'm trying to learn. No idea where you are getting that I'm accusing people in here of being hypocritical? Sorry if I came off that way.

Top Bottom