• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

Vegan-Gaf.

Introduced myself, what, three weeks ago?

Just got back from Doctor who advised me to go on Vegan diet.

Lost 9 lbs. Healthy as a thing that's really healthy.

High five brother.

This isnt healthy but it was 3 hours of work and pretty fucking delicious.

Everything was from scratch.
The pattern went. Sauce, homemade noodles, Sauce, Tofu Ricotta, Baked Eggplant and zuchinni strips, Sauce, Chopped Mushrooms, Noodles. I went until i couldn't go higher in my pan. It was delicious and i have left overs for once.

TsGuFB4.jpg

This thread you gals and guys.... -.-

On a further note. What is you response to the typical.

What if the cow was happy and led a happy life and just died would you then eat it?

It always amazes me what type of cloudy castles in the sky people build to try to get you to concede ground...

derFeef

:-/ His loss. I was a carnivore before meeting my GF, then I have gone vegan because I wanted to try it (she never pushed me into it). Never looked back. Best woman in my life, I love her and love beging vegan now too (recently one year vegan-anniversary)

In other news:
I recently saw a "campaign" on twitter regarding a sandwich store boss. He hunts animals in africa and people campaigned that no one should go to the store and eat his sandwiches until he stops hunting. What do people think? "YES he stopped hunting animals in africa, now we can eat cows and pigs at his store again!"

The hypocrisy people have, but not realize, is sometimes really worriesome.

Daigoro

What veggies are the "meatiest"? I've often wanted to try a vegan (or vegetarian) dish but I'm very fond of the major protein + veggies + grain setup for meals. Ie: Pork + rice + grilled zucchini. Or stir fried beef Szechuan. In some cases, tofu and that sort of stuff can replace the major protein and you can still get a similar setup. What if I don't want tofu though? Or its too hard to find/expensive? What vegetables would be the best pick as the "star" of the dish? I want there to still be a distinction between the star veggie and the side veggies that accompany the dish.

*worth noting that I detest mushrooms. Can't stand them unless they are chopped super super finely as to be unnoticeable.

seitan would be the answer. just do a google image search and look at the various ways it can be made and what it looks like.

seitan.jpg

unless you get some processed veggie meats which can be very similar. check the frozen section of your local supermarket for Gardein products or something similar fof that stuff.

This thread you gals and guys.... -.-

On a further note. What is you response to the typical.

What if the cow was happy and led a happy life and just died would you then eat it?

It always amazes me what type of cloudy castles in the sky people build to try to get you to concede ground...

yeah, people are very threatened by the notion that someone is questioning the status quo. its quite sad.

my answer to the question would be "nope" btw. ;)

:-/ His loss. I was a carnivore before meeting my GF, then I have gone vegan because I wanted to try it (she never pushed me into it). Never looked back. Best woman in my life, I love her and love beging vegan now too (recently one year vegan-anniversary)

In other news:
I recently saw a "campaign" on twitter regarding a sandwich store boss. He hunts animals in africa and people campaigned that no one should go to the store and eat his sandwiches until he stops hunting. What do people think? "YES he stopped hunting animals in africa, now we can eat cows and pigs at his store again!"

The hypocrisy people have, but not realize, is sometimes really worriesome.

awesome. congrats!

yeah about that whole lion poacher thing recently, and the way people never seem to make the leap in logic comparing animals that lead the worst lives imaginable to be raised as food vs. something like a lion being poached. Prof Gary Francione calls it "moral schizophrenia". i think that nails the whole thought process thoroughly. it's quite something.

vegan education baby! i wish i was better at it.

derFeef

Yeah the whole "Cecil" thing was bad, that sandwich guy was just a small thing cought in the whole rat-tail that was happening surrounding it.

Education? Don't force your lifestyle on me! ;) I am starting to get a bit more confident about arguing recently, but most of the time I just swallow it and shut up. "Haha, yeah, a steak for breakfest, that's funny..."

Just popping in here to have this thread in my post history.

I'm a veggie but my partner is vegan and we live together so inevitably end up eating lots of vegan meals.

Always looking for new recipes and some in here look great. :)

Famassu

A pretty quick & easy, good seitan recipe that I've modified slightly from one that I found from a very good (Finnish) vegan blog, ChocoChili.

2,5 dl gluten flour
1,25 dl gram flour
1-2 tea spoons of different spices of your liking (I usually use curry, smoked paprika, garlic powder and dried coriander)
1-2 tea spoons of vegetable stock powder (or ~half of a vegetable stock cube mixed first to the water)
1,5 dl water

1) Mix all the dry incredients first
2) pour the water slowly while mixing with a fork or something. After pouring all the water, ditch the fork and just knead it by hands.
3) Keep kneading the seitan dough until all of it's mixed. Some of flour might not mix into it, so if you want you might want to pour a TINY bit more water if you want to get all the flour to mix into the dough (and I do mean TINY). The dough shouldn't be too sticky at this point (if it is, then there might've been too much water).
4) Form the dough into a long, round-ish form until it looks a little bit like a big, long yellowish-light-brown turd. Cut it into steak like slices that are about 1-1,5cm thick, then cook them for 30 minutes in:

1,5 liters water with
2 vegetable stock cubes
0,25 dl soy sauce
0,25 dl balsamic vinegar

NOTE: keep in mind that the seitan pieces will expand a lot (like, 3-4x the size they are before cooking, at least), so you might need a fairly large pot/kettle for a batch of seitan of this size. If you don't have any large kettles, I'd suggest maybe halfing the recipe.

Also, the soy sauce and the vinegar aren't completely necessary, I've made this without them and it's perfectly fine.

And that's about it, after they've been cooked for 30 minutes, take them out of the water, they are ready for use (pro-tip: you can reuse the remaining water to cook rice or something, don't waste it). After that you can marinade them overnight in the fridge or just fry them in some oil & spices and serve it with some sauce & rice/couscous/potatoes/whatever. The way I do the recipe (throwing the spices into the dough), it doesn't really need marinading, but of course you can if you want to.

And a very easy sauce you can make that I kind of invented :p You'll need

a batch of the frying-ready, cut to smaller pieces seitan I've described above
2-4 dl of coconut cream (depending on how many people you have to feed)
2-4+ teaspoons of cinnamon powder (depending on how strongly you want the cinnamon to taste)
2-3 teaspoons of curry powder
60+ grams red curry paste (depends on how spicy you want the food to be, though be warned, if you put too much of it can kind of overpower all the other flavours)

After you've cooked the seitan in the water for its time, take the seitan pieces out of the water, cut the seitan "steaks" into smaller, bite-sized pieces, fry them for a little while in some oil & spices of your liking. After the seitans are done, pour 2-4dl of coconut cream onto the frying pan they are in, mix in the spices & the red curry paste and voila, you've got yourself a pretty simple yet tasty seitan with a nice sauce à la Famassu. :p

I just kind of threw in the cinnamon because I got a lot of it from my parents and don't really do much baking where I'd use it. I needed to find some ways to use it in other cooking and have just thrown some of it into my cooking at times. It works pretty well with the coconut cream & red curry paste and gives it a bit of an Asian/Indian vibe.

derFeef

Sounds good!

I have yet to successfully make good tasting tempeh-bacon. A restaurant in the city does it close to perfection but mine always just sucks, despite following recipes and such.
Maybe I should switch brands.

Oh my gosh you vegans are so weird. How do you live without all of that meat and cheese? What kind of weirdos are you?

Just kidding. I'll introduce myself as a weirdo as well. Been a vegan since April 2013. Been a vegetarian since birth though (over 20 years). Prolly spent 8 years total off and on as a vegan.

I'm impressed that there's an actual community on GAF that appreciates this kind of lifestyle. Very neat.

Oh my gosh you vegans are so weird. How do you live without all of that meat and cheese? What kind of weirdos are you?

We don't take kindly to your type around here...

;)
Welcome aboard.
The more the merrier.

In the good news section.
One of the largest supermarket chains in Germany (Edeka) has a whole new range of Vegan foods availiable.
We've tried some of it so far, some is good some is meh, just like with everything.
But it's great to see more variety and more companies jumping on the band wagon.
Ironically many of the largest meat producers in Germany are starting to offer their own Vegetarian and Vegan sausages and meats....

Hey Gaf! Been a vegetarian for a little over a year now. I find that things got easier as I went along but I still have cravings for something that there seems to be no good substitute for - fish.

I used to love all kinds of fish... salmon, haddock, shrimp, crab... don't even get me started on sushi. There's a lot of good options to fill a beef/pork/chicken craving, but the one time I tried a fish substitute it was terrible, and tofu/seitan/legumes/etc don't really hit that particular spot.

Any advice on brands out there? I'm in the US if that helps. I'd even be open to making my own... not sure if some sort of seaweed based recipe exists.

Hey Gaf! Been a vegetarian for a little over a year now. I find that things got easier as I went along but I still have cravings for something that there seems to be no good substitute for - fish.

I used to love all kinds of fish... salmon, haddock, shrimp, crab... don't even get me started on sushi. There's a lot of good options to fill a beef/pork/chicken craving, but the one time I tried a fish substitute it was terrible, and tofu/seitan/legumes/etc don't really hit that particular spot.

Any advice on brands out there? I'm in the US if that helps. I'd even be open to making my own... not sure if some sort of seaweed based recipe exists.

There are loads of seaweed recipes, regrettably I have no experience with that. I do believe however that there have been fishy recipes posted in here before.

found it:
Are there any former fish lovers in here?
I just found out how to make the perfect vegan "fish"!
Now, us Moroccan Jews have a traditional fish dish, it's sort of similar to Hraime,but a 1000 times better - It doesn't really have a name, it's just called Moroccan Fish. Ever since becoming vegan, I've missed the taste of this fish. I have yesterday succeeded in my attempted to mimic this dish - Not just in looks, but also in taste and almost in texture! The sauce is the same recipe my mother uses.

This is the recipe:
300 gr Tofu, half an onion, a handful of coriander, 2 cloves of garlic, 4 Tbs Olive oil and a sheet of Nori seaweed (can be bought at the sushi section usually) - Put them all together in a food processor, if needed add just a bit of water. Then add 4 Tbs bread crumbs. Make them into patties with your hands, try and squeeze them hard so that they'll be dense. Put them in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes until they are slightly brownish-golden.

Now, let's make the sauce: Take a big pot - It has to be wide, take the widest you have. Heat some canola oil, and then add some carrots and red peppers, after a while add 6 slices tomatoes. Let it cook for a while. Add one green hot pepper (optional I guess).

When the "fish" is done in the oven, and after it has cooled a bit a became more solid, cut some Nori into thing long sheets and wrap each "fish" patty in the nori, as to create the fish skin and give it some more "sea taste". Add each "fish" to the pot so that they're spread out, then add some peeled garlic cloves (whole, just wedge them between the "fish" patties). Take another handful of coriander (with the stems) and just throw it on top of the fishes. Close the lid and let it cook for about 15 minutes.

Here's a pic of the final dish. Not very sexy, I was just too busy eating i! Sorry.

Even my father thought it tasted close enough. I am so happy, I feel like I won back a taste from my childhood :)

yonder

Sorry, can't resist. Weigh in this week has been a consistent !81 (down from 194lbs in late june).

Thank you, Vegetables. Thank you.

Thank you all for the great recipes. I need to post here more often to compliment people who are helping my appetite.
Glad it's working out so well :D I've been vegan for about three months now and I've also lost weight without trying. I don't know how much, but my pants are a lot looser. Gonna have to buy a (vegan leather) belt soon lol.

I too lost a few kilos once I started. Gladly the weight loss has stopped now and I'm at a sustainable level. :) Mind you I really didn't want or need to shed any weight. More would have brought me into unhealthy territory.

Daigoro

i tried this one and i didnt like it because it was too fishy (never liked fish). not sure wy i bought it lol. but if you like Gardein type products and you are craving fish, you could give it a shot.

http://gardein.com/products/golden-fishless-filet/

Famassu

So, we have this treat in Finland called Karelian Pie (Karjalanpiirakka). It's a really simple, yet traditional pasty made of a rye dough and a filling that can be made of things like potatoes, barley, carrots & more "recently" rice (recently, as in after trade for rice from Asia began). Nowadays it's usually rice although the more traditional kind are still available.

Aaaaanyhow, these Karelian Pies are traditionally eaten with egg butter, another Finnish invention. It is as simple as it sounds. You'd boil some eggs and mix it with butter. But, alas, as vegans can't use eggs, you'd think it's fairly hard to replicate in taste & texture. It turns out it's fairly easy and the taste isn't too far off. You just need

2dl chickpeas
150g of vegetable oil based margarine
150g of firm, unmarinated tofu
2 tsp black salt
(you can add a bit of wild chive/onion grass)

just smush the chickpeas with a fork or a food processor or a stick blender and then mix the margarine & crumble small pieces of tofu into it. Add salt (& wild chive). Done. It's eerily close to the "real deal", imo. You people outside Finland probably don't have Karelian Pies to eat this egg butter with, but it works with other kinds of salty pasties & toast too.

Liljagare

Mushroom season is upon us now here in Scaninavia.. Yay! I love the foods of fall here, but dang, it means winter is around the corner. But for now, soups, pies, sallads, lasagne time with theese guys as the stars:

hydnum_repandum_01.jpg

cantharellus_cibarius_01.jpg

craterellus_cornucopioides_01.jpg

cantharellus_tubaeformis_02.jpg

albatrellus_ovinus_06.jpg

Last one is locally called chicken of the woods, and a good sub for it. :)

Famassu

Gonna try the cheesecake (with raspberry + chocolate filling) and vegan fish recipes posted earlier in this thread in the next couple of days. Just need to buy some Nori seaweed. Hopefully I succeed.

Famassu

So, I fucked up both of the things I said I'd do in my last post. xD The cheese cakes were only a semi fuck-up because I didn't think the whole thing through, but the vegan fish was a total failure, almost.

The cheesecakes tasted pretty good, but I don't have the kind of muffinpan-thingamajing that was used to make them in the recipe, so I used paper muffin cups. Using only one of them meant that they didn't quite hold up after pouring some filling into the cups. So they ended up looking like this:

Next time I'll try stacking two muffin cups on each other, see if they'll hold their form better than just one muffin cup alone. Oh well, they tasted good, so I still consider them a moderate success.

The vegan fish things, on the other hand... Their texture was pretty good, it did remind me a little bit of what I remember fish being like. But they didn't have ANY taste. It tasted like a whole lot of nothing. I did use some salt even though the recipe posted in this thread didn't have any, but they still tasted like nothing. I think I might need to modify the recipe a bit, try to get some taste into them. If that doesn't work, I might have to search for another vegan fish recipe.

Famassu

Sounds like shit, tbh. It might be an improvement if your diet is filled with junk food crap, but doesn't sound like something that is preferable to a more balanced diet.

So, I fucked up both of the things I said I'd do in my last post. xD The cheese cakes were only a semi fuck-up because I didn't think the whole thing through, but the vegan fish was a total failure, almost.

The cheesecakes tasted pretty good, but I don't have the kind of muffinpan-thingamajing that was used to make them in the recipe, so I used paper muffin cups. Using only one of them meant that they didn't quite hold up after pouring some filling into the cups. So they ended up looking like this:

Next time I'll try stacking two muffin cups on each other, see if they'll hold their form better than just one muffin cup alone. Oh well, they tasted good, so I still consider them a moderate success.

The vegan fish things, on the other hand... Their texture was pretty good, it did remind me a little bit of what I remember fish being like. But they didn't have ANY taste. It tasted like a whole lot of nothing. I did use some salt even though the recipe posted in this thread didn't have any, but they still tasted like nothing. I think I might need to modify the recipe a bit, try to get some taste into them. If that doesn't work, I might have to search for another vegan fish recipe.
I have yet to try the vegan fish recipe from here.
But I loved the vegan cheese cake.

My partner made these banana cream pies the other week. They were fantastic too!: :D
http://veggieprimer.com/mini-raw-banana-cream-pies/

PS we got a couple of silicon muffin cups and have been using them. They are great keep their shape are easy to remove and easy to clean afterwards. Might be something for you Famassu,

yonder

the cowspiracy thread is sad.
Yeah :/

Oh well. I've been vegan for about four months now and I'm still doing great. I've recently re-discovered tahini and how good it is, especially tahini sauce which is basically tahini mixed with plant milk or water, lemon juice, garlic and whatever spices you want. Goes with a bunch of things, but I love it on roast potatoes and vegetables.

I don't know what the recipie said but you might wanna try some algae and/or soysauce to spice the fish thingies.
+ btw I think your muffins look good, if you pealed the paper cups off it would just look like some regular pastry

Bass260

Hi Vegan Gaf! Been Vegan for two years myself. The cowspiracy thread...yeah. Most people don't know or are unwilling to try the meat and dairy alternatives out there to get started. So much misinformation...

Toronto vegfest was so yummy for anyone else that went :)

Famassu

I don't know what the recipie said but you might wanna try some algae and/or soysauce to spice the fish thingies.
+ btw I think your muffins look good, if you pealed the paper cups off it would just look like some regular pastry
There was a recipe for the vegan fish thingie earlier in this thread. Nothing too fancy, it was basically "mix firm tofu, nori seaweed, onions, bread crumbs and a couple of other things -> make into patties and put into the oven". It might require some soy sauce & other spices to add some flavor into it, will try at some point in the future. Might also try pre-marinated tofu, if that would help with it.

And the problem with the cheese cake thingies wasn't that much the look of them as it was the making of them. The paper cups didn't hold their form once I poured the filling into them, so some of the filling flowed over the cups' edges and a lot more would have if I didn't save the day by moving them all right next to each other so all the filled paper cups somewhat supported each other and I avoided total catastrophy. But yeah, the taste was pretty good, though I might try a different kind of crust that is a bit crunchier.

Pinkuss

Oh God. I've just seen the Cowspiracy thread; I really don't think documentaries like that are good for the masses of meat eaters. Just gets their backs up (and comments like it's just too yummy which ethical arguments just can't pierce). Did like the all veggie meat is crap angle too which is interesting as I'm still discovering new brands and flavours after being Veggie between the age of 5 and 20 and Vegan from 20 to 29.

Anyways I'm ill, full of cold after too much partying and killing my immune system (plus the office life doesn't help).. it's been a long time. Any good foods to recover with other than lots of Veg/Vitamin C? (Already on the fake barocca, and had spicy garlic bread with nooch on and fresh chilli as I needed something I could taste).

Mecha

Oh God. I've just seen the Cowspiracy thread; I really don't think documentaries like that are good for the masses of meat eaters. Just gets their backs up (and comments like it's just too yummy which ethical arguments just can't pierce). Did like the all veggie meat is crap angle too which is interesting as I'm still discovering new brands and flavours after being Veggie between the age of 5 and 20 and Vegan from 20 to 29.

Anyways I'm ill, full of cold after too much partying and killing my immune system (plus the office life doesn't help).. it's been a long time. Any good foods to recover with other than lots of Veg/Vitamin C? (Already on the fake barocca, and had spicy garlic bread with nooch on and fresh chilli as I needed something I could taste).

After a few exchanges with that one poster I decided to stop looking at the thread.

I'm interested in giving going vegan a whirl. At least for a couple of weeks just to see how it goes, and how I physically feel.

Is it at all possible to maintain this sort of diet and life-style if I wanna avoid soy products? Does this mean I'd have to give up meat, egg, and cheese replacements?

Pinkuss

There's seitan based stuff which is gluten based and as for fake cheese there's a few soyless varieties (Vegusto and Cheezly in the UK).

I'm interested in giving going vegan a whirl. At least for a couple of weeks just to see how it goes, and how I physically feel.

Is it at all possible to maintain this sort of diet and life-style if I wanna avoid soy products? Does this mean I'd have to give up meat, egg, and cheese replacements?

there are also a lot of cashew- or yeast-based cheese recipes you can make yourself for example. actually just made this today. as for milk, there's also rice, almond, coconut milk etc.
and like Pinkuss said, there's always seitan and veggies and all the other stuff. sooo technically it's definitely possible to avoid soy. but there's also no need to avoid it 100% in my opinion, a bit of tofu definitely won't do any harm if you pay attention to where it's from (organic or not). unless it's due to allergies of course.

Famassu

Seitan would probably be your choice of meat substitute if you don't want to use soy (may I ask why?), though there are other bean-based products that can be used a bit like some soy products (they make soy granule like stuff from fava beans where I'm from). Seitan is like chicken, though you can also make stuff like vegan chorizo out of seitan that is less like chicken and more like... well, chorizo.

Of course there's also falafel, but I find it much harder to get falafel right than seitan. The taste can be good but the texture can be a bit dough-y. I haven't found a fix for that yet. The falafel I buy from some restaurants has this almost meat like texture (though doesn't quite hold together as well as meat balls), which I've failed to replicate in my own falafels.

And then there are other kinds of vegetable patties & such that can replace meat, though a lot of them don't taste or feel like meat, which can be perfectly fine substitutes if you don't feel that you just absolutely NEED that meat-like taste/texture everyday.

Replacing all kinds of milk/cream products is super easy unless you have crappy stores in your region. All kinds of different veggie milks (oat, coconut, almond), food creams (the same oats & coconuts) and even whipped cream (I've found a pretty good coconut one) can be used. Just know that 1) getting used to veggie milk can take time if you're used to drinking cow milk and 2) there can be huge differences between milks even if they are made of the same thing, so you might have to test around to find your preferred milk. There's also oat-based ice cream, easily self-made banana-based ice cream. Yoghurts as well.

Cheese like stuff you can make yourself pretty easily without soy products if you can't find soy-free vegan cheeses in your area.

Eggs can be somewhat tricky, especially because of your want to not use any soy products. Tofu is often a really good egg substitute in cooking. Non-firm tofu can be used as a kind of replacement of raw eggs in food that goes to the oven. The thing about eggs in baking is... you don't actually need eggs for a lot of stuff. For some baked goods you can just leave eggs out completely and not even substitute it with anything and the end result can be pretty close to the egg-including product. And sometimes you can replace it with other stuff like avokados, bananas etc. Getting some stuff right without eggs might take a few tries to find what works in your way of cooking/baking, but it can be done. There's also products like No Egg that can achieve the same result, so long as the recipe doesn't require you to make a foam out of the eggs alone. There was actually this new method I read about where they use the liquid that, for example, chickpeas are stored in as a substitute for egg-whites. It's kinda genius, really.

And there's this thing called black salt (AKA kala namak) that tastes exactly like (boiled) eggs. It's uncanny.

Thanks for all the input guys. Will definitely do some research and try out different options and see which one feels like the best fit.

Seitan would probably be your choice of meat substitute if you don't want to use soy (may I ask why?), though there are other bean-based products that can be used a bit like some soy products (they make soy granule like stuff from fava beans where I'm from). Seitan is like chicken, though you can also make stuff like vegan chorizo out of seitan that is less like chicken and more like... well, chorizo.

Of course there's also falafel, but I find it much harder to get falafel right than seitan. The taste can be good but the texture can be a bit dough-y. I haven't found a fix for that yet. The falafel I buy from some restaurants has this almost meat like texture (though doesn't quite hold together as well as meat balls), which I've failed to replicate in my own falafels.

And then there are other kinds of vegetable patties & such that can replace meat, though a lot of them don't taste or feel like meat, which can be perfectly fine substitutes if you don't feel that you just absolutely NEED that meat-like taste/texture everyday.

Replacing all kinds of milk/cream products is super easy unless you have crappy stores in your region. All kinds of different veggie milks (oat, coconut, almond), food creams (the same oats & coconuts) and even whipped cream (I've found a pretty good coconut one) can be used. Just know that 1) getting used to veggie milk can take time if you're used to drinking cow milk and 2) there can be huge differences between milks even if they are made of the same thing, so you might have to test around to find your preferred milk. There's also oat-based ice cream, easily self-made banana-based ice cream. Yoghurts as well.

Cheese like stuff you can make yourself pretty easily without soy products if you can't find soy-free vegan cheeses in your area.

Eggs can be somewhat tricky, especially because of your want to not use any soy products. Tofu is often a really good egg substitute in cooking. Non-firm tofu can be used as a kind of replacement of raw eggs in food that goes to the oven. The thing about eggs in baking is... you don't actually need eggs for a lot of stuff. For some baked goods you can just leave eggs out completely and not even substitute it with anything and the end result can be pretty close to the egg-including product. And sometimes you can replace it with other stuff like avokados, bananas etc. Getting some stuff right without eggs might take a few tries to find what works in your way of cooking/baking, but it can be done. There's also products like No Egg that can achieve the same result, so long as the recipe doesn't require you to make a foam out of the eggs alone. There was actually this new method I read about where they use the liquid that, for example, chickpeas are stored in as a substitute for egg-whites. It's kinda genius, really.

And there's this thing called black salt (AKA kala namak) that tastes exactly like (boiled) eggs. It's uncanny.

From what I've heard and seen, soy is apparently detrimental to growth while lifting at the gym and just generally not good for men.

Famassu

From what I've heard and seen, soy is apparently detrimental to growth while lifting at the gym and just generally not good for men.
That's total & utter BS. Soy is a really good source of protein (it has all the necessary amino acids + it has tons of other nutrients like iron, magnesium, calcium & vitamins like C, B1, 2, 3 etc.) and there's nothing harmful to men about it. If anything, when people (men and women) have added soy into their diet, the results have been positive. Besides, a lot of the protein flour things that body builders use are made of soy.

That soy is in any way harmful is just propaganda based on

1)flimsy reasoning from people who don't understand human biology (i.e. yes, soy has some estrogen-like hormone, but its effect in humans is far weaker than actual estrogen, so it's not an issue and can actually be a good thing, and it's also conveniently ignored how there's actual estrogen in meat that IS linked to increased amounts of cancer) and

2) flawed research (i.e. they've fed shittons of soy to mice and it has been detrimental to their health, leading to "study results" that say it's also harmful to humans, ignoring the fact that human body can handle soy much more efficiently than mice and even at the best of times we don't eat nearly as much soy, relatively, as what was fed to the study subject animals) by some meat-promoting parties.

Of course like with everything, too much of one thing at once isn't a good thing, but soy is perfectly fine if you don't eat, like, 2kg of it per day.

If these often repeated myths about soy are the reason why you aren't going to use soy, then I say ignore them and eat some tofu & other soy products with good conscience (though maybe try to buy organic soy, it's less harmful to the environment).

yonder

Thanks for all the input guys. Will definitely do some research and try out different options and see which one feels like the best fit.

Great that you want to give it a try! :) Let us know how you're doing and if you have any questions.

Also, soy is fine. Isolated soy protein as in soy protein powder might be bad if you consume a lot of it due to it increasing IGF-1 levels (cancer risk), but that goes for almost any protein (especially from animal sources). Here's a video that'll take you through a bunch of studies if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yQFYONMcTg

Good luck!

Edit: Excellent comprehensive article on soy: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soy_wth That site is good for all things vegan nutrition if you're interested. www.theveganrd.com is good as well.

Famassu

Just made some simple chocolate pudding.

3 small-ish avokados
2dl coconut milk (maybe a bit less than 2dl)
1-1,5 tablespoon of peanut butter
some agave syrup or sugar (however sweet you want it to taste)
hefty dose of raw cocoa powder

Just put 'em in some deep-ish cup large enough to hold all the ingredients & *surrurrurrurrur* away with a stick blender until it's all smooth & creamy. Maybe put in the fridge for half an hour before consumption.

Just made some simple chocolate pudding.

3 small-ish avokados
2dl coconut milk (maybe a bit less than 2dl)
1-1,5 tablespoon of peanut butter
some agave syrup or sugar (however sweet you want it to taste)
hefty dose of raw cocoa powder

Just put 'em in some deep-ish cup large enough to hold all the ingredients & *surrurrurrurrur* away with a stick blender until it's all smooth & creamy. Maybe put in the fridge for half an hour before consumption.

We made something similar recently, it was great. :)

Also the vegan isle in our local Edeka supermarket is growing and growing. :D

Top Bottom