• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

yonder

Made this nacho cheese a few days ago and it turned out really well (flavour improves after a few days, as well). Brought it to a small get-together, and before I had a chance to explain what it was a couple of people who thought it was regular nacho cheese dove in all "oooh gimme that delicious nacho cheese hell yeah" and were dumbfounded when I told them it was made with potatoes and carrots.

Next time I want to try this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/gooey-vegan-nacho-cheese-sauce-recipe-food-lab.html

Lihwem

A vegan thread on NeoGAF?

a7658bfdd334a8ede179ee504a4cc2a1.jpg

Vegetarian for ~1 year and vegan for ~4 months. Just moved to the UK from France and so glad to have done so: it's so easy to find stuff like vegan sausages and a lot of food have a "vegetarian"/"vegan" label on it, which makes it A LOT easier to check!

ecurbj

Wow. UK is vegan friendly? It's still tough around my area here in the States. I have to go out of my way to find vegan meals.

5 years vegetarian. On and off vegan with foods ONLY.

dude

dude
I think my city, Tel Aviv, has spoiled me. It's so vegan friendly and I'm starting to take it for granted...

A vegan thread on NeoGAF?

a7658bfdd334a8ede179ee504a4cc2a1.jpg

Vegetarian for ~1 year and vegan for ~4 months. Just moved to the UK from France and so glad to have done so: it's so easy to find stuff like vegan sausages and a lot of food have a "vegetarian"/"vegan" label on it, which makes it A LOT easier to check!

Yea the UK is well ahead of the curve compared to Germany too.

Kinokou

I found a place in my town that served vegan sandwiches and the like. I was eager to try it out, but after going a few time I have concluded that I did not like it so much. It seems they put much focus on imitating meat sandwiches with vegan cold cuts, vegan mayonnaise and adding some lettuce and a slice of tomato (they also used some vegan cheese of course, but I don't know if I am as critical towards the cheese yet).
I like it much more when you just skip the imitation stuff and go wild with vegetables, pesto, hummus, spices and mushrooms, I think that brings out the tastes much more.
Maybe I'm more opposed to their way of preparation than imitation products, but it was my first experience with it and did not leave a want to try it again.

How about you guys, do you like imitation products in your sandwiches?

Pinkuss

I found a place in my town that served vegan sandwiches and the like. I was eager to try it out, but after going a few time I have concluded that I did not like it so much. It seems they put much focus on imitating meat sandwiches with vegan cold cuts, vegan mayonnaise and adding some lettuce and a slice of tomato (they also used some vegan cheese of course, but I don't know if I am as critical towards the cheese yet).
I like it much more when you just skip the imitation stuff and go wild with vegetables, pesto, hummus, spices and mushrooms, I think that brings out the tastes much more.
Maybe I'm more opposed to their way of preparation than imitation products, but it was my first experience with it and did not leave a want to try it again.

How about you guys, do you like imitation products in your sandwiches?
I like both. Big fan of hummus, veg, falaffel, (Vegan) pesto etc.

However any time I see a new imitation product I can stick bread around I'm eager to try it out. Having never really ate meat though I don't really see it as fake meat, more as a nice tasting food.

Also the UK is pretty good these days. Supermarkets do the odd Vegan fake meat (some more than others), most do fake cheese and they all do vegan chocolate etc. Plus most cities have at least one health food shop selling food (and often pasties etc) and every big place I've been has had at least one Vegetarian restaurant (with heavy leanings towards Vegan).

Yea the UK is well ahead of the curve compared to Germany too.
Though I live in Japan, I recently returned home to the UK then visited a friend in Germany. In Frankfurt and Heidelberg I actually found the opposite. I kept randomly finding vegan restaurants and signs in normal restaurants and shops that pointed out vegan products. Went to a completely vegan store and bought lots of stuff at a decent price to bring back to Japan. Germany was thus surprisingly accommodating (perhaps it's just those cities as they are so international/ student friendly).

Japan on the other hand...

Germany does have a chain of strictly vegan supermarkets, called Veganz, though. That's pretty awesome. I think that being a vegan in one of the West Germanic speaking European countries is not too bad at all.

Though I live in Japan, I recently returned home to the UK then visited a friend in Germany. In Frankfurt and Heidelberg I actually found the opposite. I kept randomly finding vegan restaurants and signs in normal restaurants and shops that pointed out vegan products. Went to a completely vegan store and bought lots of stuff at a decent price to bring back to Japan. Germany was thus surprisingly accommodating (perhaps it's just those cities as they are so international/ student friendly).

Japan on the other hand...

I'm not saying it is bad. Especially large cities are quite good with veganism.
Veganz however has 8 stores in Germany, so hardly many.

And I was speaking specifically to the fact that almost all food at any supermarket in the UK is labelled Vegetarian/Vegan if it is. It makes shopping at any supermarket really easy.

derFeef

I am feeling so sorry for my SO at the moment. She's a veggie for 20 years and a full vegan for a year now - still her family (not all of them of course) has a level of unacceptance and, maybe unintentionally, treats her like a black sheep which makes me incredibly sad and feel a bit helpless at the moment.

I don't wont to start fights with them and she does not want it too, so we kind of accept it. But I often can read her mind what's going inside her. For example when someone says stuff like "we got nothing for you..." - when we were invited to a birthday party and everyone gets cake except us. Her heart gets broken and she often bursts out in tears (secretly) because they sometimes say scathing things. They love each other, but not on this topic.

We can't even make a grilling party at her house because it's "unacceptable" that she does not want to have meat near/at her home. So we just don't invite them...

I am so sorry for her, it's breaking my heart. Cooking / baking vegan is not that hard. It does not need to be much, just simple things to show "we understand" :-(

I am feeling so sorry for my SO at the moment. She's a veggie for 20 years and a full vegan for a year now - still her family (not all of them of course) has a level of unacceptance and, maybe unintentionally, treats her like a black sheep which makes me incredibly sad and feel a bit helpless at the moment.

I don't wont to start fights with them and she does not want it too, so we kind of accept it. But I often can read her mind what's going inside her. For example when someone says stuff like "we got nothing for you..." - when we were invited to a birthday party and everyone gets cake except us. Her heart gets broken and she often bursts out in tears (secretly) because they sometimes say scathing things. They love each other, but not on this topic.

We can't even make a grilling party at her house because it's "unacceptable" that she does not want to have meat near/at her home. So we just don't invite them...

I am so sorry for her, it's breaking my heart. Cooking / baking vegan is not that hard. It does not need to be much, just simple things to show "we understand" :-(
Man, that sucks... :(
Not sure what else I can say.

MrT

Wow, that's awful :(

I mean if they try what you serve and don't like it that's fair enough, but if their objection is simply "there's no meat" that's incredibly closed minded, not to mention ungrateful...

Laekon

Does anyone have good experience baking tofu? I have a block of Trader Joe's super firm tofu marinating with a can of left over chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. All the recipes I find seem to have large variations in baking times and temps. Some are 350 for 20 minutes and others are 400 degrees for 40 minutes.

I'm really just cooking with what ever I could find. I hope it doesn't come out to hot spice wise.

Daigoro

Does anyone have good experience baking tofu? I have a block of Trader Joe's super firm tofu marinating with a can of left over chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. All the recipes I find seem to have large variations in baking times and temps. Some are 350 for 20 minutes and others are 400 degrees for 40 minutes.

I'm really just cooking with what ever I could find. I hope it doesn't come out to hot spice wise.

yeah, 350 should be fine. just keep an eye on it and turn it once or twice. when its browned, you're all set. it's pretty simple.

Daigoro

made this for the first time the other week, and made it again today.

im eating it leftover room temp right now and its so goddamn good. i ate it cold a few weeks ago and it was amazing too. may or may not have been very hungry at the time, but still...

this recipe kicks ass. oddly it doesnt have garlic in the recipe, so of course i added some anyways.

http://www.potatogoodness.com/recipes/potato-black-bean-swiss-chard-hash/

Potato, Black Bean, & Swiss Chard Hash

Yield: 4 Prep Time: 15 Minutes Ready Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Recipe By: Beard & Bonnet

This recipe is courtesy of Beard & Bonnet, as part of the U.S Potato Board’s Potato Lovers Club program.

Why we love it: This recipe is a colorful and tasty concoction of potatoes, veggies and spices. We love the flavors of this dish, but even more so, we love that it’s jam-packed with vitamins and minerals.

Ingredients
2 large russet potato, scrubbed and cut into a very small dice
2 tablespoons Earth Balance, or Olive oil
1/4 cup white onion or 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
2 cups cooked black beans or 1 can rinsed and drained
1 bunch of Swiss chard, sliced into thin ribbons and thick stems diced
1 – 2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
Generous pinch of kosher salt
Black Pepper
Preparation
Place the olive oil in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and a generous pinch of kosher salt, toss well to coat. Cover the skillet with a tight fitting lid and cook for 7-9 minutes, tossing or flipping occasionally to ensure that all sides of the potatoes are browning and getting crisp.

Add the onions and Swiss chard stems to the skillet and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the black beans to the skillet and mix well; gently arrange into a single layer in the pan. Leave to cook for 2-3 minutes, flipping once or twice, to ensure that the beans are heated through and getting crisp.

Add the ribbons of Swiss chard and cook briefly until it wilts slightly. Remove from the heat and sprinkle in the spices, black pepper, and additional salt to taste. Serve immediately.

Laekon

yeah, 350 should be fine. just keep an eye on it and turn it once or twice. when its browned, you're all set. it's pretty simple.

I did the 400 for about 35 minutes. It came out fine with just some of the marinade that dripped of burning. I need to try it again with a different type of tofu. I used trader joes extra firm and would prefer something thats creamer on the inside with the same crispness on the outside.

Favourite snack/candy bars?I just ate this fucker and holy shit it's good.
roobar is great too (love the hemp one) but this thing is on another level, wow!

I'm really fond of rice and sweetcorn cake with a coating of dark chocolate.
jAFWOH4.jpg

My Mom also brought some vegan 'fake' Gummy Bears (from Nordsee Bär) the other week, they were great too. :D

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Just chiming in here, that while its crappy they don't cater to you when you're their guest; on the flip side, in my opinion, it's important you cater to them when their your guest.

My sister has been a vegetarian for six years, and a vegan for three. My mom has been a vegetarian for a long time. When they come over, I ALWAYS make sure I have a comparable meal being served that suits their diet (nachos and fajitas are easy; I can do certain pastas, I can bake vegan cupcakes, etc).

But when I go over to hang with them, they always make sure there's meat products for me to enjoy. You can't change anyone/everyone, but you can try to accept their diet.

Just my two cents. And please, don't take my comments as rude - this has only been my experience, of course.

derFeef

I'm really fond of rice and sweetcorn cake with a coating of dark chocolate.
jAFWOH4.jpg

My Mom also brought some vegan 'fake' Gummy Bears (from Nordsee Bär) the other week, they were great too. :D

Sounds good, I love dark chocolate rice waffles :D We got a new brand here in Austria called vegavita, available in big supermarkets. AWESOME icecream and gummy bears (fruits) - guilty pleasures.

Just chiming in here, that while its crappy they don't cater to you when you're their guest; on the flip side, in my opinion, it's important you cater to them when their your guest.

My sister has been a vegetarian for six years, and a vegan for three. My mom has been a vegetarian for a long time. When they come over, I ALWAYS make sure I have a comparable meal being served that suits their diet (nachos and fajitas are easy; I can do certain pastas, I can bake vegan cupcakes, etc).

But when I go over to hang with them, they always make sure there's meat products for me to enjoy. You can't change anyone/everyone, but you can try to accept their diet.

Just my two cents. And please, don't take my comments as rude - this has only been my experience, of course.

I guess a lot of that depends on the "why" someone is vegeterian/vegan.
If it's just a diet, then ok... but if it's a lifestyle because of ethical and environmental reasons, then a lot of that is harder and more complicated.

Daigoro

exactly, if they dont care enough to make the simplest effort, they have some real issues. it sounds like they dont deserve an invite to her home if they cant stand to have one meal without meat. i wouldn't invite them either.

very sad, but if they are that intolerant of her choices, all she can do is try to reason with them. if that fails there isnt much to do about it but avoid them altogether when it comes food issues and events that have to do with meals.

its not a diet, its a question about what one finds morally acceptable.

the problem here is that it's not asking a lot of someone who eats meat to go one meal without. can you still eat well and be satisfied and have a great meal without animal products? of course. would eating a meal without animal products be something that you found morally wrong? no. sorry, i will not prepare meat for you if you come to my house because i believe that it is morally wrong to do so. if you cant go one meal without...

the flip side is, that a vegan isnt going to eat animal products. it is not food to someone who thinks that consuming animals is morally wrong. if you want me to have a meal with you there would need to be an animal free option. otherwise i dont eat, or i dont come.

your comments arent rude, but i dont think you're seeing the picture clearly from the other side. hope this helps.

Daigoro

made this today. i added some bell pepper and some baked tofu. this woman is a goddess!

Teriyaki Quinoa

This dish is hot and satisfying, with a sweet, salty, garlicky essence that infuses flavour into the quinoa without overpowering it.

1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups water
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
3 1/2 tbsp tamari
2 1/2 tbsp agave nectar
2 to 3 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp toasted or raw sesame seeds
3 Tbsp green onions, sliced

Rinse quinoa in cold water for 2 minutes. In saucepan, add quinoa, water, and garlic. Bring to boil on high heat, stir, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 12 to 14 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in ginger, tamari, agave nectar, lemon juice, and sesame oil. Cover again and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove cover, stir, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions, and serve. Makes 4 servings.

yonder

Just bumping the thread to say that I've been vegan for almost a month now. I've been vegetarian on and off for about 7 years, but during the past few months I've slowly phased out the dairy and eggs, and I've tried a bunch of vegan recipes. And so finally I just said "fuck it, I guess I'm vegan now." I feel really good about my decision so far, and I'm thankful that my friends, my girlfriend and the people I work with have all been really cool about it. I feel a lot better physically (lost weight, more energy) as well as mentally (I feel more at peace with myself, and I'm always happy when I eat).

Just bumping the thread to say that I've been vegan for almost a month now. I've been vegetarian on and off for about 7 years, but during the past few months I've slowly phased out the dairy and eggs, and I've tried a bunch of vegan recipes. And so finally I just said "fuck it, I guess I'm vegan now." I feel really good about my decision so far, and I'm thankful that my friends, my girlfriend and the people I work with have all been really cool about it. I feel a lot better physically (lost weight, more energy) as well as mentally (I feel more at peace with myself, and I'm always happy when I eat).

that's great news!! <3

Mecha

I love people and animals, but some people make it really hard.
CA4yYPx.png

Popular reddit threads related to meat/certain animals always seem to have things like this. Thankfully /r/vegan is a decent place, but the circle jerk that gets voted up on there sucks.

fantastic!
Don't forget to share your recipes with us. :D

dude

dude
Welcome aboard!

BTW, while we're all here again, recommendations for stuff to eat after workouts?

yonder

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the inspiration this thread has provided me with :)

Btw, I've just discovered how tasty dried figs are. They have a pretty distinct taste, and the texture is so nice, soft and chewy. They're a good source of calcium and iron, too.

Edit: Here's a handy guide to vegan nutrition that I found really useful: http://www.veganhealth.org Maybe something like this should be in the OP? The site looks kinda shitty, but the content is great and well researched.

V_Arnold

I think we are ready to make the jump to veganism.
Been vegetarian for 4 years now, grilled cheese is going to be missed.

Although I still do not consider bio milk/cheese immoral, it is not the best kind of food to eat anyway.

Thing is: i was mostly a beans/lentils/nuts person, while almost completely ignoring soy. But after trying tofu and soy-based products....DAMN, this is going to be easier than I thought.

So since I think GAF is full of level headed people I'll ask here. I know vegans don't consume animal products for reasons that usually revolve around the pain it puts on said animals. However why are vegans against the eating of eggs of I raise the chickens myself. Keep in mind I wouldn't have any roosters so the eggs wouldn't be fertilized. I'm really not trying to pick a fight with anyone but my girlfriends vegan friends seem to make me out as some kind of monster. Chickens lay eggs regularly. If I'm raising them in a happy cage free environment I don't understand the problem.

Mecha

So since I think GAF is full of level headed people I'll ask here. I know vegans don't consume animal products for reasons that usually revolve around the pain it puts on said animals. However why are vegans against the eating of eggs of I raise the chickens myself. Keep in mind I wouldn't have any roosters so the eggs wouldn't be fertilized. I'm really not trying to pick a fight with anyone but my girlfriends vegan friends seem to make me out as some kind of monster. Chickens lay eggs regularly. If I'm raising them in a happy cage free environment I don't understand the problem.

Do you keep the male chickens that can't lay eggs?

halfbeast

Banned
I've become a total Quinoa-nut! well, I'm not a vegan myself, but I've spend most of this year coming up with vegan recipes just to change things up. to stop my consumption of horrible junk food as snacks I experimented with quinoa to come up with something, that's delicious and healthy.

basically, I cook it (1 cup quinoa/ 2 cups water usually works well), then throw it in a measuring cup, add fruits (berries, bananas, whatever you feel like), spices like cinnamon or vanilla for some variation. add a little coconut milk (or any kind) and blend that shit. quinoa has this earthy flavor, if that bothers you add some lemon zest to freshen it up.

and that's it. I pour the mixture in a tupperware and keep it in the fridge. take it out to have a couple of scoops if I feel a bit peckish.

ricki42

Most birds in nature don't just regularly lay unfertilized eggs. These chickens are already highly bred for that purpose, and such breeding usually comes with some sort of health issues. In addition, taking away the eggs stimulates the hens to lay even more. And laying eggs is stressful, as is having them taken away. So laying (and losing) that many eggs can lead to all kinds of health problems for the chickens.

In addition, for me personally, a big reason for being vegan is the environmental impact that animal products have. For example, how much space would the chickens use up? What about any wildlife that usually lives in that space? How many eggs do you expect to get for how much chicken feed? How much chicken poop will there be and how will you deal with that? For a few chickens in your backyard, this probably sounds ridiculous, but if you extrapolate, I think you can see why vegans don't advocate this as a general solution. You doing this is better for the chickens than you buying factory eggs, but it doesn't really solve the problem in any way. And environmentally, your less efficient production might end up being worse than factory eggs.

Mecha

irJdt6z.jpg

This is was probably the best frozen vegan pizza I have had, you guys should try it out if you can find it.

Top Bottom