• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

yonder

Awesome, it's just starting to get cold enough for soup and chili here.

Self Introduction
Hey all! I'm about a month and a half into being a vegetarian. Not terribly hard so far, though I do need to step up my cooking game (and hopefully settle my digestion...). Not sure whether I'll eventually transition to full vegan, but for now I'm content that I'm doing something to do less harm to the environment and the well-being of others.

Now for my first big challenge - family Thanksgiving/Christmas dining....
Welcome! :) Well done for going vegetarian, and I hope you'll try veganism sometime in the future. I started out vegetarian, too, and it made transitioning to vegan pretty easy, so don't hesitate to ask questions if you're curious. As for holiday stuff, it can be hard depending on your family. I had to suffer through a barrage of questions on my first holiday as a vegetarian, but after that it was cool. This will be my first holiday as a vegan, and I am super excited to try out some new recipes.

Found this recipe a little while ago. I recommend it to my vegan friends who want something different for thanksgiving. Figured I would share with vegan gaf too since its pretty damn delicious.

It's a vegetable tart made with a spelt dough.

Vegan-Sprial-Vegetable-Tart-3-1024x683.jpg

Vegan-Sprial-Vegetable-Tart--1024x683.jpg

Vegan-Sprial-Vegetable-Tart-4-1024x683.jpg

Recipe is here. It's pretty simple and really beautiful too :)

ngower

I made a field roast for the first time and since dinner have had some INSANE farts. This happen for anyone else? It could also be the brussells sprouts but never had this level of gas from them before.

MrT

Is there anywhere to get field roast / gardein / tofurky (or similar) roasts in the UK? Last year for christmas we had a quorn roast as it was just a vegetarian christmas, but this year will be vegan. I've had no luck finding any decent looking roasts/joints in the shops or online so far :(

yonder

Is there anywhere to get field roast / gardein / tofurky (or similar) roasts in the UK? Last year for christmas we had a quorn roast as it was just a vegetarian christmas, but this year will be vegan. I've had no luck finding any decent looking roasts/joints in the shops or online so far :(
Trying to find something similar here in Sweden with no luck either :/

You could always make one yourself: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...e-plant-based-vegan-holiday-roast-recipe.html

moggio

Banned

MrT

Available at Holland and Barrett (£9.99, there is a buy one get one half price sale on at the moment).

Sadly not at any of the stores near me :( They *did* have the tofurky sausages in the other week, but when they ran out and I asked when more would be in, they told me it was an ordering error and they wouldn't be getting them back in as they shouldn't have had them in the first place.

I have found them on naturalgrocery.co.uk tho, along with a whole bunch of other stuff I wanted to try, so I placed a big order with them. It was supposed to arrive on tuesday, but ukmail decided to deliver to the wrong address, then insist that they hadn't even though my wife was in when they apparently delivered, so that order is lost. The seller was very helpful though, and they're sending it out again when it's all back in stock.

derFeef

I have not found it. I think it's better for my sanity, hah.
Also the "How do you know someone is vegan? s/he tells you every 5 minutes" thing is complete bullshit. At least from my side.
I never even talk about it and dodge discussions because I know how it will turn out. Even more funny if that randomly comes up in you twitter feed or somepalce else, oh the irony...

derFeef

Man that thread makes me sad and angry. How can being compassionate towards animals be a thing that people hate on?

Oh well, feels good that GAF has this thread at least.

Everybody loves animals, you know,... as long as it's a kitty or a puppy.
edit: found it ... yes, every single bullshit bingo field checked. And I don't like when epople call Veganism a "diet".

derFeef

I hate on the kind of vegans that are on a crusade to talk to a meat-eater 24/7 how bad they are for eating meat or how they should change their life to a meatless diet.

How many vegans do you know, in person, that come directly at you and do this?

I know how to kill a chicken the right way and how to process it after you killed it. Same with fish etc. I also love vegetables and I just eat everything.

There is not "right way" of killing.

edit: okay....

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
How many vegans do you know, in person, that come directly at you and do this?

There is not "right way" of killing.

edit: okay....

Just to answer your first question and then I'll leave you guys and gals alone :)!
I was attacked once by a animal rights activist on the street even. We talked, he wanted money and I no and he started screaming at me.
another one was a former friend of mine, every time we went out to eat she would not leave me alone if I wanted to eat a Schnitzel >_>.
right now we have a big vegan thing at the university, everywhere flyer, people staying in front of the cafeteria wanting to talk to you.
two years ago some kind of vegan activist even came into the cafeteria with a yellow security jacket on screaming "we got a bomb warning for this building please everyone leave"..but of course I'm studying in a student city, most of the people living here a students, so I get in contact with more people who think they can change the world alone/activists etc.

did not want to post in this thread tough! thought it is the "vegan go back to meat eating" one..I'm on mobile I'm really sorry ^^" your community thread is no place where I should argue with you. Have fun in here and I hope you find amazing new recipes <3

and because I came in here let me share my favourite vegan recipe :D lentil chili with pumpkin
http://www.nourishatelier.com/blog/2015/9/24/warming-lentil-chili-with-pumpkin-comfortfood

I'll show myself out.

that was a weird anecdotal drive by... Oh well. So i am making like 12 tiny vegan pot pies for my family's Christmas feast. I am about to blow some goddamn minds.

derFeef

Aw man, one day we need to try pot pie, always looks so delicious!

Regarding animal activists and the poster above. I attented a (small and civil) anti animal testing demonstration recently and the shit people throw at you is even worse. I mean, animal testing, which is something all should disagree with...

Famassu

Made a pretty successful first try at seitan "christmas ham", made as a test batch prior to our family christmas meal on the 25th or 26th so that I'd know whether it's worth serving this new recipe or if I should just go with what I've done in the years before. I was a bit too hasty with taking it out of the oven and it ended up being a bit undercooked from the middle in the thickest part of the lump of seitan, but all in all the well cooked parts tasted really good & had a good texture.

I'll post the recipe later but for now this will have to suffice.

RDreamer

Howdy vegans. I keep wanting to post things in this thread and get ideas, but I never end up posting. I'm not vegan myself, but my fiance is. My roommates and us all pretty much eat together for dinner so our dinners are always vegan. I've had to learn to cook a lot of pretty tasty vegan recipes, so I thought I'd share some here.

Recently we all realized one of us has a crock pot, so my last two cooking days has been from that.

Slow-Cooker-Veggie-Curry-2.jpg

Made this curried vegetable and chickpea stew last week and it was amazing. I could eat it like every day. If you're a fan of curry and want something not terribly hard to make, give it a try.

And yesterday I made this:

Easy-slow-cooker-saag-aloo-1.jpg

It's slow cooker Saag Aloo. I doctored mine up a ton, though. I added more potatoes (because I fucking love potatoes), a cut up yellow squash, and a can of chickpeas. Obviously adjusted the water and stock to align with new amounts of food. It turned out really delicious, too, and it's insanely easy. I kept skins on the potatoes to make it even easier. It's basically: Chop potatoes and onion, then put shit into cooker.

Indicate

Made this curried vegetable and chickpea stew last week and it was amazing. I could eat it like every day. If you're a fan of curry and want something not terribly hard to make, give it a try.

And yesterday I made this:

It's slow cooker Saag Aloo. I doctored mine up a ton, though. I added more potatoes (because I fucking love potatoes), a cut up yellow squash, and a can of chickpeas. Obviously adjusted the water and stock to align with new amounts of food. It turned out really delicious, too, and it's insanely easy. I kept skins on the potatoes to make it even easier. It's basically: Chop potatoes and onion, then put shit into cooker.

I'm going to try both of these one day. They look really good.

MrT

Love curries, I made a nice big batch of aloo chana at the weekend with a bag of potatoes that were getting a bit old and needed used. Lasted 3 days :)

That saag aloo looks awesome, will have to give it a shot.

I have not found it. I think it's better for my sanity, hah.
Also the "How do you know someone is vegan? s/he tells you every 5 minutes" thing is complete bullshit. At least from my side.
I never even talk about it and dodge discussions because I know how it will turn out. Even more funny if that randomly comes up in you twitter feed or somepalce else, oh the irony...

for me it's mostly the other way around. other people seem to make a bigger deal out of it than I do. I usually avoid mentioning being vegan in restaurants for example, because it confuses the waiting staff, I try to be just reeaally precise about the ingredients I want and don't want. often, other people or relatives would then add "she's vegan you know!"
12316255_937695339658256_3937341655454835456_n.jpg

Daigoro

This was pretty good. Wish it was year long.

you'd get so sick of that if it was all year long! :)

Man that thread makes me sad and angry. How can being compassionate towards animals be a thing that people hate on?

Oh well, feels good that GAF has this thread at least.

people feel attacked because they feel like they are being judged. everyone cane relate to that. and deep down, the vast majority of people know that factory farming is brutal and disgusting, and morally wrong. its just hard to reconcile with the way human have been doing things for a few hundred years. it's a lot easier to ignore the horrible things we do to animal (including each other), than to face it. people dont like feeling sad, uncomfortable, or guilty.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
people feel attacked because they feel like they are being judged. everyone cane relate to that. and deep down, the vast majority of people know that factory farming is brutal and disgusting, and morally wrong. its just hard to reconcile with the way human have been doing things for a few hundred years. it's a lot easier to ignore the horrible things we do to animal (including each other), than to face it. people dont like feeling sad, uncomfortable, or guilty.

It's their belief system being questioned.

Beyond Carnism and toward Rational, Authentic Food Choices | Melanie Joy | TEDxMünchen

Melanie Joy, Ph.D., Ed.M. is a Harvard-educated psychologist, professor of psychology and sociology at the University of Massachusetts, Boston, a noted speaker, and the author of "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows." Melanie is a recipient of the Institute of Jainology’s Ahimsa Award. Her work has been featured by numerous media outlets including the BBC, Germany’s ARD, ABC Australia, the New York Times and Spiegel Online. Melanie has given her carnism presentation on five continents. She is also the founder and president of the organization Beyond Carnism (formerly Carnism Awareness & Action Network) and the project Karnismus erkennen (German-speaking countries).

yonder

It's their belief system being questioned.

Beyond Carnism and toward Rational, Authentic Food Choices | Melanie Joy | TEDxMünchen

Melanie Joy, Ph.D., Ed.M. is a Harvard-educated psychologist, professor of psychology and sociology at the University of Massachusetts, Boston, a noted speaker, and the author of "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows." Melanie is a recipient of the Institute of Jainology’s Ahimsa Award. Her work has been featured by numerous media outlets including the BBC, Germany’s ARD, ABC Australia, the New York Times and Spiegel Online. Melanie has given her carnism presentation on five continents. She is also the founder and president of the organization Beyond Carnism (formerly Carnism Awareness & Action Network) and the project Karnismus erkennen (German-speaking countries).
This talk and her book are both great.

Hey everyone, I was wondering how often you guys eat fake/replacement meats? Or how often you should? I know a lot of people say you're supposed to treat them more like treats or supplements, and I'm pretty sure I rely on them more heavily than I'm supposed to -.-

yonder

Hey everyone, I was wondering how often you guys eat fake/replacement meats? Or how often you should? I know a lot of people say you're supposed to treat them more like treats or supplements, and I'm pretty sure I rely on them more heavily than I'm supposed to -.-
I rarely eat them mostly because I'm a student and don't have a lot of money. As far as I know, they're not too bad as long as you don't eat a large amount every day. Mind you, I don't really have anything to back that up with right now, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Pinkuss

i eat them pretty much every day. I've never really eaten meat so don't really associate them with actual meat flavours/textures.

And I'm not really Vegan for the health benefits but not all are that bad.

I rarely eat them mostly because I'm a student and don't have a lot of money. As far as I know, they're not too bad as long as you don't eat a large amount every day. Mind you, I don't really have anything to back that up with right now, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm a student too so I never eat them at school, but my mom always buys me a ton when I'm home so I end up gorging on breaks D:

i eat them pretty much every day. I've never really eaten meat so don't really associate them with actual meat flavours/textures.

And I'm not really Vegan for the health benefits but not all are that bad.

Okay, thanks! I'm not in it for health benefits either but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything terribly bad.

bsp

When I first became vegan I was eating quite a lot of Boca/Gardein products. Many of them taste great so they help as a transition tool -- but the sodium contents are just incredibly high. Partnered with the cautious worry about ingesting that level of non-fermented soy (I am aware phytoestrogen /=/ hormonal estrogen) I would rather wait for more studies on the long term effects of ingesting soy concentrate to appear. Your option could be to simply have it only a couple times a week which would certainly be fine.

I switched to seitan as my main "meat" in stir-frys, sandwiches, and even by itself with some BBQ sauce. The protein-to-calories ratio is just about the same or better than chicken breast if I remember correctly. WestSoy Cubed variety is my favorite of the store-bought, although I plan to start making it at home for even cheaper. Sweet Earth seitan is pretty tasty too. Throw it on top of some rice and broccoli and there is your perfect nutrition.

Pinkuss

I'm a student too so I never eat them at school, but my mom always buys me a ton when I'm home so I end up gorging on breaks D:

Okay, thanks! I'm not in it for health benefits either but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything terribly bad.

Wasn't making a point or anything :) I just see them as tasty food.

On the whole soy thing, what's the take on Asia consuming the stuff for centuries?

bsp

Unnatural Vegan is my favorite YT account in the vegan community. She receives so much vitriol from the followers of some of the more radical accounts (durianrider, freelee, etc). It is shameful as she puts so much effort into being evidence and reason based.

I'm trying to eat them less and less. Highly processed foods are not very good for you, even if they are vegan. And I imagine eating tons of wheat gluten all the time is not great, either. I think it's more about balance. For protein, a mix of beans, nuts, tofu/tempeh, and fake meats.

On another note, what does everyone think of the term "plant-based" instead of "vegan"? I don't know where this started (Jay-Z?), but I've noticed local vegan restaurants re-branding themselves as plant-based, almost as if they're ashamed of calling themselves vegan. I don't care that much, but plant-based seems like a really awkward term to use just to avoid "vegan".

Mimir

On another note, what does everyone think of the term "plant-based" instead of "vegan"? I don't know where this started (Jay-Z?), but I've noticed local vegan restaurants re-branding themselves as plant-based, almost as if they're ashamed of calling themselves vegan. I don't care that much, but plant-based seems like a really awkward term to use just to avoid "vegan".
I mostly see it used for people that don't eat animal products, but aren't vegan for other reasons (still wear animal products, or use things tested on animals). I prefer plant-based diet for those people, since calling it a vegan diet confuses the definition of veganism.

riotous

Banned

There's a donut shop in Seattle (that keeps winning awards) that goes out of their way to not mention their products are Vegan (they don't even say plant-based or vegetarian.)

The only place you'll find a mention of it is in articles about them, or burried on their web site under "our stoy":

http://www.mightyo.com/our-story/

I fully believe it's to avoid being sterotyped or avoided by weirdo knee-jerk "ewww Vegan!" types.

Totally suppport the concept as long as their are resources for Vegans to find places that are "Vegan but don't advertise it"; otherwise it just becomes vague and hard to know if they are truly Vegan.

EmiPrime

Unnatural Vegan is my favorite YT account in the vegan community. She receives so much vitriol from the followers of some of the more radical accounts (durianrider, freelee, etc). It is shameful as she puts so much effort into being evidence and reason based.

Yeah she's pretty level headed.

Durianrider, Freelee, Gary Yourofuski and Vegan Gains are completely deranged and misanthropic. Their popularity is disturbing and I think they do a lot more harm than good.

Vegan activism that involves telling people they have no right to live if they're not vegan or saying that black Americans have no right to complain about police brutality if they eat meat is shit activism and shit morality. Humans are animals too.

Famassu

I don't really measure my ratio of "fake meats" vs. getting protein more "naturally" from beans, nuts & stuff as fake meats (especially organic) aren't filled with any kind of noticeable amounts of any kind of unhealthy artificial (or non-artificial) crap that anyone should be worried about unless they eat 3kg of the stuff everyday (which is in the realm of "too much of even the healthiest shit can be unhealthy"). I switch around mostly because eating seitan or soy granules or tofu or falafel everyday would get boring pretty quickly. Sometimes it's just nice to have something that doesn't have anything that does meat's "job" in a food (i.e. a protein source that has a somewhat chewy texture that feels good in all kinds of food instead of all of it being mushy or crisp vegetables).

That said, seitan made purely out of gluten flour doesn't have all the necessary amino acids (it's missing lysine), so seitan is one protein source that shouldn't be your only source unless you make sure to add stuff with lysine in it. So add a bit of chickpea and/or soy flour into the seitan floud mix and/or spice it with something like soy sauce and that problem disappears. Chickpea flour & soy flour make seitan's texture better anyways (seitan made purely out of gluten flour isn't all that good), so no one should be eating purely gluten based seitan anyway. :p

As far as price goes, the only "fake meat" that are/can be expensive are higher quality, marinated tofu and all pre-made stuff. If you make falafel, soy steaks, seitan etc. from scratch yourself, the main ingredients like chickpeas, soy granules, gluten + chickpea flour etc. are INCREDIBLY cheap. I can buy 1kg of seitan ingredients for 6€ (+ some spices) and make at least 4-5 sizable servings (that I can eat for 2-3 days per a batch of seitan) out of it, which is far cheaper than pre-made stuff or even actual meat. Or I can make maybe about 60-70 soy steaks out of a 500g bag of soy granules that costs 3,50€ vs. a pack of 4 pre-made soy steaks that can cost the same or even more than that one bag of soy granules.

Now, all kinds of other animal-product replacements ARE expensive. Vegan cheeses are so expensive that I can rarely afford them. So far I've been too lazy to learn to make the vegan cheese myself but I've read some recipes and it shouldn't be all that hard, just requires me to get off my lazy ass and experiment with some recipes.

When I first became vegan I was eating quite a lot of Boca/Gardein products. Many of them taste great so they help as a transition tool -- but the sodium contents are just incredibly high. Partnered with the cautious worry about ingesting that level of non-fermented soy (I am aware phytoestrogen /=/ hormonal estrogen) I would rather wait for more studies on the long term effects of ingesting soy concentrate to appear. Your option could be to simply have it only a couple times a week which would certainly be fine.

I switched to seitan as my main "meat" in stir-frys, sandwiches, and even by itself with some BBQ sauce. The protein-to-calories ratio is just about the same or better than chicken breast if I remember correctly. WestSoy Cubed variety is my favorite of the store-bought, although I plan to start making it at home for even cheaper. Sweet Earth seitan is pretty tasty too. Throw it on top of some rice and broccoli and there is your perfect nutrition.

Yeah, I get worried about long term effects as well. Breast cancer runs in my family and there seems to be articles leaning every which way on whether soy causes or prevents it...

Thank you though, I'll check out those seitan brands if they're near me.

I'm trying to eat them less and less. Highly processed foods are not very good for you, even if they are vegan. And I imagine eating tons of wheat gluten all the time is not great, either. I think it's more about balance. For protein, a mix of beans, nuts, tofu/tempeh, and fake meats.

Thanks for the input, I think I will try and find more of a balance :)

I don't really measure my ratio of "fake meats" vs. getting protein more "naturally" from beans, nuts & stuff as fake meats (especially organic) aren't filled with any kind of noticeable amounts of any kind of unhealthy artificial (or non-artificial) crap that anyone should be worried about unless they eat 3kg of the stuff everyday (which is in the realm of "too much of even the healthiest shit can be unhealthy"). I switch around mostly because eating seitan or soy granules or tofu or falafel everyday would get boring pretty quickly. Sometimes it's just nice to have something that doesn't have anything that does meat's "job" in a food (i.e. a protein source that has a somewhat chewy texture that feels good in all kinds of food instead of all of it being mushy or crisp vegetables).

That said, seitan made purely out of gluten flour doesn't have all the necessary amino acids (it's missing lysine), so seitan is one protein source that shouldn't be your only source unless you make sure to add stuff with lysine in it. So add a bit of chickpea and/or soy flour into the seitan floud mix and/or spice it with something like soy sauce and that problem disappears. Chickpea flour & soy flour make seitan's texture better anyways (seitan made purely out of gluten flour isn't all that good), so no one should be eating purely gluten based seitan anyway. :p

As far as price goes, the only "fake meat" that are/can be expensive are higher quality, marinated tofu and all pre-made stuff. If you make falafel, soy steaks, seitan etc. from scratch yourself, the main ingredients like chickpeas, soy granules, gluten + chickpea flour etc. are INCREDIBLY cheap. I can buy 1kg of seitan ingredients for 6€ (+ some spices) and make at least 4-5 sizable servings (that I can eat for 2-3 days per a batch of seitan) out of it, which is far cheaper than pre-made stuff or even actual meat. Or I can make maybe about 60-70 soy steaks out of a 500g bag of soy granules that costs 3,50€ vs. a pack of 4 pre-made soy steaks that can cost the same or even more than that one bag of soy granules.

Now, all kinds of other animal-product replacements ARE expensive. Vegan cheeses are so expensive that I can rarely afford them. So far I've been too lazy to learn to make the vegan cheese myself but I've read some recipes and it shouldn't be all that hard, just requires me to get off my lazy ass and experiment with some recipes.

Awesome post Famassu, lots of good information! I was actually going to ask if seitan is a complete protein but you had already answered that, haha.

Futureman

hey YA'LL.

I'm having party this Saturday and two of my friends are vegan.

We are going to have alcohol (already got some vegan wine!) but we are also having snacks and I was wondering...

if I get a veggie tray, what is a good vegan dip?

derFeef

hey YA'LL.

I'm having party this Saturday and two of my friends are vegan.

We are going to have alcohol (already got some vegan wine!) but we are also having snacks and I was wondering...

if I get a veggie tray, what is a good vegan dip?

Hummus, guacamole. We also often make tofu-spread with different flavours. I guess it works as dip too.

Pinkuss

Make sure if buying in guacamole it doesn't have dairy in (yoghurt is common here). Also, salsa

Hummus is the king though.

Top Bottom