• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

Famassu

maybe whip the faba into higher peaks and mix it better? did you let it rest in the pan before you baked it?
Could be, I'll try whisking it a bit longer next time and make sure I mix everything properly. And I didn't really let it rest in the pan all that long before putting it in the oven, maybe that could be something I need to think about next time as well.

still looks like a great recipe. Someone in the chicago land area makes vegan Twinkies with thick fatty coconut cream and this perfect sponger cake. i only find them once a month.

This will be my project on friday http://minimalistbaker.com/easy-grillable-veggie-burgers/

AMAZING-GRILLABLE-Veggie-Burgers-Hearty-flavorful-and-hold-up-on-the-grill-or-skillet-vegan-veggieburger-grilling-dinner-healthy-recipe.jpg

Famassu

still looks like a great recipe. Someone in the chicago land area makes vegan Twinkies with thick fatty coconut cream and this perfect sponger cake. i only find them once a month.
Yeah, it's not the recipe that's bad. I know that the recipe should work without the few kinks mine had, since the Swedish Vegan facebook page that had the recipe had a picture that looked perfectly normal (without the weird, hard top part). So yeah, it's definitely something on my end, I just need to figure out what. Also thought about throwing maybe 1-2 teaspoons of baking powder into it, to make it even spongier.

As always, practice makes perfect. It's not like my sponge cakes were immediately or always perfect when I used to bake them with eggs, either. There are always some tricks that go into making these things that you just kind of have to learn the hard way.

*drool*

derFeef

A few days back it was the first time I really felt disgusted by a person eating a piece of meat near me at a restaurant. It was a heavy feeling, I could not even continue my own meal (altough I did later on). It's not the sight of the thing itself, it's the thought of what is lying there on the table, what it was, what it has gone through and so on. Seeing the person stabbing it with a fork, ripping it apart with a knife while blood is pouring out of it .... it was just sickening.

That does not bode well for future family dinners, there are a lot of them coming up....

Famassu

Made some mushroom bread today. Simple but delicious. If anyone wants to try...

Incredients
0,5 liters of milk (a part of this can be water, I used a 0,4 liter can of coconut milk and 0,1 liters of water)
35-40g of active dry yeast
2,5 dl wheat flour*
2,5 dl rye flour*
2,5 dl graham flour*
1 teaspoons of salt
a little bit of vegetable oil
1-2 onions (1 if it's a bit larger, but if they are small two might be better)
Mushrooms (I've used common mushrooms, black chantarelles/black trumpets & such, I guess whatever mushrooms float your boat?)
1/2 cube of vegetable stock cube
Some spices (I usually use at least (smoked) paprika & black pepper, maybe garlic powder as well)

*you'll actually need a little bit more of all of the flours, I'll explain in the instructions

Instructions
1) cut onions & mushrooms into small pieces

2) sautee onions in a little bit of oil, throw the stock cube among the onions and let it dissolve, mix in the spices and then throw the mushrooms onto the frying pan. Let the onion-mushroom mix cook for a little while (until the mushrooms are cooked well). Take off the stove & let the mix cool for a while.

3) heat up the milk up to ~42*C (or hand-warm), mix the yeast into it

4) mix other dry incredients (2,5dl graham, rye & wheat flour + a little bit of salt) together, then start mixing those into the milk-yeast (I used one of those machines that I don't know the name of in English, but you can do this by hand if you don't have one of those slightly expensive bulky machines that can be used for bread dough making).

5) now, once you've mixed the 2,5 dl of the different flours into the milk, it might still be somewhat... I dunno the word, but it will still be clearly not-done & the dough will still need a bit more flour of all kinds (roughly mixed at the same 1:1:1 portions like before) to be fully done. At this point you kind of have to listen to your gut. :p Keep throwing a little bit of all flours into the dough and mixing them into it. By the end, the dough can be somewhat sticky & not too firm, but still the kind that you can kind of handle a little bit without too much of the dough gettings stuck to your fingers.

6) once you feel the dough is ready, mix the onion-mushroom mix into the dough. Two to three handfuls should be enough.

7) Let the dough rise for about 30 minutes under some kind of small towel, a clean kitchen rag or something

8) heat the oven to 250*C

9) once it's risen, cut/divide the dough into two equal pieces. Use some wheat flour to make long logs out of each half. Cut both logs into four pieces (so 8 pieces in all). Take a little bit of flour and sprinkle it on top of one piece. Then first roll it into a ball (using as much flour as is needed to make the dough non-sticky now), then kind of carefully pat it into a roundish, thin form that is about 1cm thick (use more flour if it feels sticky while patting it). Put the piece on the oven pan (that has baking paper on it) and cover it under the (clean) kitchen rag (or just paper) for the time the oven takes to heat up & the time it takes to do the rest of the bread pieces. Do the rest of the pieces the same way and let them rise a little under the rag before taking the rag off and putting them in the oven. My oven pan can only fit 4 breads at once if I make them the size I make them, so I have to bake them in two batches, doubt anyone's oven is big enough to do them all at once. (Optional:) Stick some holes into the dough with a fork before putting them into the oven (it's not really mandatory, but I guess it makes the bread pieces look a bit better than just weird round-ish lumps :p ).

10) bake them in the oven for 8-10 minutes (until they get a little brown). Once taken out of the oven, cover them under a rag/towel for a while. It maybe helps make them a bit softer.

11) done, enjoy (hopefully :p)

The instructions may sound like something kind of troublesome, but it's really quite simple once you start doing it. It's basically just prepare mushrooms -> mix dry & wet incredients of the dough -> mix mushrooms & dough -> let rise for 30 minutes -> make them into the right shape/form -> bake in the oven -> dun. It'll take maybe 1,5-2 hours from zero to done, out of which about 50 minutes is just waiting for the dough to rise & the breads to bake in the oven.

Anyhoo, one bread should look something like this once taken out of the oven (once again, sorry about the pic quality/lighting).

Famassu

How does this go for people like that mushrooms in regular food? I have a buddy who loves mushrooms and this may be good surprise to make for her sometime.
Assuming you don't somehow screw up the mushrooms, I'd imagine they'd like it? All I can say is that I hated mushrooms as a child and these kinds of mushroom breads that my grandma made were the only thing that I could eat them in at the time (though I've modified the recipe a bit, my grandma didn't really spice the mushrooms at all, except maybe some salt). :p Now that I'm 20 years older and I like mushrooms as is, they taste even better. :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can literally eat sauteed mushrooms and onions all day and have done so as a meal before. Sometimes with olive oil, sometimes with butter because I'm not a vegan.

I know a vegan who is allergic to button and shitaki mushrooms...I feel awful for them.

i love me some mushrooms and a greens in a reduced balsamic vinaigrette. Had that last night with over rice and steamed broccoli.

Didnt get a chance to make the burgers this weekend but i do have a cook out im going to next weekend so i will make them for that.

yonder

I made some pumpkin seed butter last night which turned out great. I just toasted the seeds and put them in my food processor with a bit of oil and salt. Goes great on crispbread, but I'm gonna try to make a sauce or dressing with it. Should go great with garlic, vegetables and pasta, sort of like a pesto.

Next up: sunflower seed butter!

Made some mushroom bread today. Simple but delicious. If anyone wants to try...

Do you just eat this plain? Use it for sandwiches? I can't quite tell what the texture would be like from that picture. I want to try and make this when I'm on break from school and have access to a kitchen again though :)

I made some pumpkin seed butter last night which turned out great.

Sounds really cool! I like using pumpkin seeds in things because they have a more mild flavor than a lot of other seeds.

Famassu

Do you just eat this plain? Use it for sandwiches? I can't quite tell what the texture would be like from that picture. I want to try and make this when I'm on break from school and have access to a kitchen again though :)
If you don't skimp out on the mushrooms & spice them properly, you could probably eat it plain (especially fresh out of the oven, after they've cooled down enough to eat). It's pretty good with just some margarine spread on top of it (and cheese, if you have some tasty vegan cheese available) and that's how I eat it. I don't really use too many toppings with it, though you can of course use whatever you like to use on top of a slice of bread. It's still somewhat normal bread, after all. :) I haven't really ever made sandwiches out of it, if by sandwich you mean taking two pieces of it and sticking all kinds of toppings in between them .

The texture is somewhat fluffy, but still perhaps a little firmer than your more typical white bread.

If you don't skimp out on the mushrooms & spice them properly, you could probably eat it plain (especially fresh out of the oven, after they've cooled down enough to eat).

Sounds good! I think I'll make some for our holiday spread this year. Bread baking is one of my favorite hobbies so I'm excited to try out a new recipe.

Famassu

Felt inspired today, came up with this red pesto covered seitan-brussels sprout-kidney bean-green lentil thingie I cooked in the oven. Not the fastest food to make, but it's fairly simple & you don't really have to do anything overly complex. It's one of those dishes where most of the time is spent waiting for something to cook that takes more than a few minutes than actually doing much. Anyhoo...

Incredients
-Red pesto (just use a stick blender on a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in oil, 1 onion, 3 gloves of garlic, a can of squashed tomatoes, a small handful or two of cashew or other types of nuts or seeds, a spoonful of nutritional yeast, a tiny bit of salt & if you have any you can throw in a bit of vegan cheese or the kind of vegan "grated" parmesan that you can get in at least some parts of the world or make yourself)
-A batch of the seitan
-~15 or so brussels sprouts (give or take a few)
-Basil
-spinach
-some lentils (I used green ones)
-a can of kidney beans

Make the seitan dough (I've posted a recipe earlier in this thread semi-recently), cut it to small steak like pieces & start cooking them in the water. While those are cooking for about 30 minutes, throw all the incredients in a bowl & use the stick blender (or whatever) to make the red pesto. Prepare the brussel sprouts (cut the hard base stem and remove the outermost layer of leaves off them).

Maybe cut the basil & spinach into slightly smaller pieces and then mix them to the red pesto (don't use blender anymore). Throw some lentils & beans in there too. Once the seitan is ready, take them out of the cooking water (you can use the leftover water for cooking rice, cousous or something) and put them into some kind of oven bowl/pot, side-by-side. Throw the readied brussels sprouts in there as well and then pour the pesto that has the beans etc. on top of them & try to spread it so that it covers all/most of the seitans & sprouts.

Cook them in the oven (175*C) for about an hour or maybe a little longer. Dun.

22166442645_37ee49b634_c.jpg

Not the sexiest looking dish I've ever made ;P It tastes good, which is what matters the most (to me).

I made the fuck it soup. Boiled all the kale, broccoli i had with some potatoes and carrots and celery and soybeans. Creamed it up with some soaked cashews. Then blended that to a creamy texture, and vegan Parmesan (cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper garlic powder/blended) on top and some crackers to serve. about half an hour of work.

ill have food for about 2 days. i have some for lunch ill take a picture then.

in other news more neogaf meat threads

Gaaraz

Been a meat-eater all my life. Will probably keep going that route since I simply love meat and dairy way too much.
For what it's worth I was the same, but with all of the vegan meats, cheeses, milks, yogurts and ice creams (I genuinely had the best ice cream I've ever had in my life at vegan Oktoberfest) I genuinely don't miss them at all :)

i made those burgers but i fucked my schedule up and had to store all of them and eat them next day.

They crumbled a little bit but were delicious. Ill see if i can make a fancy one tonight for a picture. I will definitely be making them again and at 12 grams of protein per patty its easy to load up for the day.

beacuse it crumbled, I had halved a pita and coated it with babganush and bit of siracha with some kale at the bottom and plopped two patties into it. I almost couldnt eat another one, almost.

I made this no-bake pumpkin pie the other day, and it was amazing! Highly recommend giving it a shot - http://minimalistbaker.com/creamy-no-bake-pumpkin-pie/

I have no idea where to get pumkpin pie spice in the UK though,so I just made my own, and for the pumpkin puree I just blended the pumpkin we carved for halloween.

you are missing out my friend. You should try to make the puree from butternut squash or small pie pumpkins. Big pumpkings are pretty much only for carving and seeds they make shit filling (in comparison to small pie pumpkins/butternut).

Minimalist Baker has never failed me. Dana is genie.

MrT

you are missing out my friend. You should try to make the puree from butternut squash or small pie pumpkins. Big pumpkings are pretty much only for carving and seeds they make shit filling (in comparison to small pie pumpkins/butternut).

Minimalist Baker has never failed me. Dana is genie.

Yeah it's the only kind of pumpkin we ever get round here it seems. We separated and dried out all the seeds to use elsewhere, and just used the decent bits of flesh. Turned out really well so no complaints from me :)

ngower

So, as expected, my family isn't really making anything I can eat on Thanksgiving. Does anyone have any recommendations for a couple of cheap sides I could whip up? I don't want to go nuts and blow like $40 on ingredients for my own meal because, honestly, Thanksgiving bores the shit out of me...but I want to contribute a few things. I was thinking roasted Brussels sprouts, some sort of starch (vegan mac and cheese probably) and maybe some cookies or something.

So, as expected, my family isn't really making anything I can eat on Thanksgiving. Does anyone have any recommendations for a couple of cheap sides I could whip up? I don't want to go nuts and blow like $40 on ingredients for my own meal because, honestly, Thanksgiving bores the shit out of me...but I want to contribute a few things. I was thinking roasted Brussels sprouts, some sort of starch (vegan mac and cheese probably) and maybe some cookies or something.

Make sheperds pie using the recipes posted by me and some other people earlier. It works as a side and a main course for vegans. Super cheap too (lentils 1.5, spinach 2 potatoes 2 mushrooms 4 6-8 servings for around 10 bucks) Other things i make

Mashed potatoes with navy beans blended in for texture and protein
Rosemary and Olive oil Red potatoes.
Corn on the cob
mushroom gravy
pumpkin pie.

Girlfriend just send me this text with 2 and half hours left of work.
zHorajN.jpg

derFeef

that makes me wonder... is most beer not vegan? Or was it just something specific with the way Guinness made their stout? I think I read that most wine is not vegan for similar reasons.

Most beer is vegan, but Guinness is one brand that fines with fish bladder, there are other brands and it can happen with wine too. German/Austrian/... produced beer has to be vegan because of the German purity law.

ricki42

that makes me wonder... is most beer not vegan? Or was it just something specific with the way Guinness made their stout? I think I read that most wine is not vegan for similar reasons.

I think it's just most beer from the UK/Ireland. I don't think anyone else uses isinglass for the filtering. As far as I know even Guinness has already been vegan in North America for at least several years. I had a colleague who had a friend who works at Guinness, and I asked him about it. After some investigating, he said it's only the beer brewed at the brewery in Dublin that's not vegan. That beer is sold in Ireland and the UK (don't remember about continental Europe). The Guinness sold in North America and elsewhere is brewed in other breweries that use other, vegan methods for clarification.

Famassu

I've gotten the impression that most beer is vegan (though even then you'll have to make sure that what you drink is for sure), but with wines you have to be far more careful.

derFeef

I've gotten the impression that most beer is vegan (though even then you'll have to make sure on every individual beer), but with wines you have to be far more careful.

We have a few brands in Austria certified with the vegan society label, it's starting to get better :)

Pete Rock

Over the last few years I've been having spontaneously compassionate feelings arise in my mind which have lead me to drop meat from my diet. My diet has been free of animal tissue for six weeks now and I feel really fantastic. I eat a lot of legumes now: garbonzo beans, black eyed peas, black beans and lentils. Tahini makes everything so much better! I have cut back significantly on eggs and milk and am considering transitioning from vegetarian to vegan in the future. Thanks for the thread, a great source of inspiration and resourceful information.

Over the last few years I've been having spontaneously compassionate feelings arise in my mind which have lead me to drop meat from my diet. My diet has been free of animal tissue for six weeks now and I feel really fantastic. I eat a lot of legumes now: garbonzo beans, black eyed peas, black beans and lentils. Tahini makes everything so much better! I have cut back significantly on eggs and milk and am considering transitioning from vegetarian to vegan in the future. Thanks for the thread, a great source of inspiration and resourceful information.

let us know if you need any recipes or ideas for other food.

yonder

That's great! Welcome :) I started out vegetarian and by gradually learning vegan recipes I finally decided to cut eggs and dairy out and see how I liked it. It's been 5 months so far and I can't imagine myself going back since I feel so good, both physically and mentally. Good luck with the transition!

*currently eating a delicious vegan sweet potato pie with coconut whipped cream*

derFeef

So for this years departmental christmas party we are going to a steak house, yay. I made the proposal for a very good restaurant with many regular/vegeterian/vegan stuff to choose from because we have 4 vegeterians as well. But hey, at the steak house you get.... many meat burgers, steak and ribs and seafood and ONE veggie burger.

I am skipping.

iirate

So for this years departmental christmas party we are going to a steak house, yay. I made the proposal for a very good restaurant with many regular/vegeterian/vegan stuff to choose from because we have 4 vegeterians as well. But hey, at the steak house you get.... many meat burgers, steak and ribs and seafood and ONE veggie burger.

I am skipping.

I've found some decent vegan salads at different steakhouses, which is more than most chain restaurants can say.

I am skipping.

you can almost always get fries or something too. but I understand your decision. I find it especially annying that "veggie burgers" are never vegan. they always seem to have egg or some shit like that

Pinkuss

I think my worst work Christmas meal consisted of three types of potato (fries, chips and wedges) and a salad.

This year we're luckily going to a Turkish restaurant, lots of falafel and similar stuff.

derFeef

Not to mention I do not particularly enjoy everyone near me eating meat. I developed this "disgust" not too long ago, but it's not that bad that this is the sole reason to skip it.

Famassu

Aquafaba sponge cake recipe attempt #2 will happen today or tomorrow. Will make a father's day cake, half chocolate frosting, half whipped (soy or coconut) cream. Will try to mix the dough a bit more carefully this time, in case that was the reason why the last try formed some kind of sugary hard top when baked in the oven, maybe use a little less sugar altogether.

Daigoro

i am soooooo psyched. i used to drink stout all the time. this is the best news.

most is, but a bunch arent. really depends on how its processed, and some use things like honey for different types of brews.

I think it's just most beer from the UK/Ireland. I don't think anyone else uses isinglass for the filtering. As far as I know even Guinness has already been vegan in North America for at least several years. I had a colleague who had a friend who works at Guinness, and I asked him about it. After some investigating, he said it's only the beer brewed at the brewery in Dublin that's not vegan. That beer is sold in Ireland and the UK (don't remember about continental Europe). The Guinness sold in North America and elsewhere is brewed in other breweries that use other, vegan methods for clarification.

Guinness in NA was never vegan. i did extensive legwork trying to get to the bottom of this a few years back. it's all (sort of) documented on Barnivore. so, im actually wondering how this is change is going to be affected in the states. hope its a global change.

there are plenty of beers from the UK that are vegan, just like there are a fair amount in NA that arent. one of the greatest breweries in the world is Samuel Smiths in England and they are certified vegan.

basically, either: 1) check Barnivore 2) email the company with the form Barnivore supplies and then email it back to Barnivore and update the world!

Ludovico

Awesome, it's just starting to get cold enough for soup and chili here.

Self Introduction
Hey all! I'm about a month and a half into being a vegetarian. Not terribly hard so far, though I do need to step up my cooking game (and hopefully settle my digestion...). Not sure whether I'll eventually transition to full vegan, but for now I'm content that I'm doing something to do less harm to the environment and the well-being of others.

Now for my first big challenge - family Thanksgiving/Christmas dining....

Top Bottom