• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

komplanen

I'm sorry for thinking all of you are silly. You're not. You are pretty awesome. I got no beef with vegans, excuse the pun. I'll make an early New Year's resolution to make fun of you a lot less in the Funny Pictures thread and elsewhere.

flower-icon.png

Merry Christmas!

Pinkuss

So Vodafone (UK at least) have come out with some great adverts this Christmas with what seems to be endorsing a meat free diet. They've also just posted something from a Vegetarian chef on their wall. Anyone know why?

For those who haven't seen it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs8LcEkBfTc

Also; if there's a chance they're a slightly ethical company (and heck they're promoting nut roast over killing a turkey for Christmas) then are they as bad signal wise as people say? They usually offer the cheapest deals around here.

Save #TerryTheTurkey… Keen on having your own vegetarian or vegan Christmas? Check out our festive ad to see what a difference it’ll make to Turkeys everywhere.

Famassu

So any quick and easy-ish Christmas-y treats one could make for a big family Christmas get together? Something that is guaranteed to succeed and doesn't require a million different incredients.

derFeef

So any quick and easy-ish Christmas-y treats one could make for a big family Christmas get together? Something that is guaranteed to succeed and doesn't require a million different incredients.

Sweet or spicy?
Muffins/cupcakes are usually pretty easy. Fruit bread is also one of those things I love at christmas and is pretty easy.

Famassu

Sweet or spicy?
Muffins/cupcakes are usually pretty easy. Fruit bread is also one of those things I love at christmas and is pretty easy.
Both, preferably, so that there's something sweet and something not-so-sweet. I thought about muffins but those are kinda.. boring? :p And I'm not the biggest fan of fruit bread. Trying to think of something that fits Christmas and would be a bit more special, but my mind is drawing a blank.

derFeef

Both, preferably, so that there's something sweet and something not-so-sweet. I thought about muffins but those are kinda.. boring? :p And I'm not the biggest fan of fruit bread. Trying to think of something that fits Christmas and would be a bit more special, but my mind is drawing a blank.

Cashew-mouse balls, or peanut-butter balls maybe? They can be decorated Christmas-ish ;) I am drawing blank right now as well. Pizza buns?

Famassu

Cashew-mouse balls, or peanut-butter balls maybe? They can be decorated Christmas-ish ;) I am drawing blank right now as well. Pizza buns?
I might try chocolate covered peanut-butter balls. :) I wonder if some raspberry-jam filling would be good with that, if I managed to put a little bit of it inside them...

derFeef

Coconut-flakes on top of it :D I guess you can eat one of them and be done :)
Ever tried amaranth on top of those balls? I really like it, especially with the cashew variant.

Famassu

Coconut-flakes on top of it :D I guess you can eat one of them and be done :)
Ever tried amaranth on top of those balls? I really like it, especially with the cashew variant.
No, I haven't. Don't think I've ever seen any of those anywhere in the shops here.

Coconut flakes sound like a good addition, I actually have a small bag of them in the cupboards that I haven't figured out what to use them for. :)

There's a donut shop in Seattle (that keeps winning awards) that goes out of their way to not mention their products are Vegan (they don't even say plant-based or vegetarian.)

The only place you'll find a mention of it is in articles about them, or burried on their web site under "our stoy":

http://www.mightyo.com/our-story/

I fully believe it's to avoid being sterotyped or avoided by weirdo knee-jerk "ewww Vegan!" types.

Totally suppport the concept as long as their are resources for Vegans to find places that are "Vegan but don't advertise it"; otherwise it just becomes vague and hard to know if they are truly Vegan.

Yeah I've heard of Mighty-O; hope to get up there and try their donuts one of these days. I think completely hiding that your restaurant is vegan doesn't do anyone any good – it doesn't help customers make informed choices about what they're eating, and it doesn't help to change any attitudes. I think what Veggie Grill does is a fair compromise, where they say that they're 'plant-based', but don't go out of their way to announce it.

Nudull

Banned
The recent Wendy's thread had me thinking; how do you guys feel about veggie/vegan alternatives in fast food franchises, and what could be done to make improvements?

i am all for vegan alternatives in fast food. Taco Bells Crunch Wrap made vegan is really fucking tasty.

I am actually going to try the white castle vegan things and the wendy thing this weekend for giggles with this vegan girl i have been trying to date.

i wish they would make more of an effort to veganize things that could be great with simpler ingredients.

derFeef

I will dodge the big chains, there is just a barrier in my mind that I can't cross and support them. I am okay if they do vegan stuff, but it's all for profit regardless and do more harm than good to the "image" of us, if you know what I mean.

I often hear "why you vegans need those meat replacement and processed food, can't you eat different stuff? it's junk!" anyway.

edit: holy crap my grammar, I should eat more veggies ;)

yonder

Been indulging my vegan sweet tooth recently...

W2dvVGL.jpg

jqacmqA.jpg

These are both so damn good. I think they're German, but I bought them at my local grocery store here in Sweden.

Pinkuss

Was ill over Xmas and the above white bar was one of the few things I could eat. (and was lovely).

For UK based Vegans, get yourself to Tesco for some of these http://www.yushoi.co.uk/ crisps; a quid at the moment (Tesco/Morrisons), just under 70% pea based and are mega addictive. My room is full of the soy & balsamic vinegar packs.

derFeef

There is a new vegan place in town, serves huge ass wraps and hot-dogs. Damn good. Also smoothies, salads, cereals, sandwiches... everything good so far. And it's just a 10 minute walk, or 2 minute bike run away :)

Not my photos but see for yourself.

So if anyone visity Austria one time, be sure to contact me, Graz is a vegan's dream (you can eat healthy too ;))

Back from our five weeks vacation in Australia and New Zealand.
It's always difficult to get a grip on what is available in supermarkets in foreign lands.
Anyway we both want to semi-detox, as we ate a lot of processed foods on holiday.
Fells good to quickly know what to buy again. :D

Finally got to go to a vegan meet up in Tokyo again, usually they do it when in at work. Buffet of amazing everything, from lasagne to stroganoff to burritos to falafel to chocolate cake...

If any of you ever plan to visit Japan, let me know if you want some tips

Daigoro

i just ordered these LARABAR energy bars

chocolate chip cookie dough.

uggggh it was tough to take in. yuck yuck

never had those. the regular fruit and nut bars are good though. the bananna and carrot cake ones are great.

There is a new vegan place in town, serves huge ass wraps and hot-dogs. Damn good. Also smoothies, salads, cereals, sandwiches... everything good so far. And it's just a 10 minute walk, or 2 minute bike run away :)

Not my photos but see for yourself.

So if anyone visity Austria one time, be sure to contact me, Graz is a vegan's dream (you can eat healthy too ;))

sounds awesome. id love to visit some day.

Sadsic

im curious, i want to understand -- is there a universal reason for becoming vegan? is there a purpose to it? like is it a morally based decision, or religious? i dont really understand it.

i watched the documentary "cowspiracy" on netflix a few months, which almost convinced me to become vegan, but ultimately i found myself unable to restrict my diet enough because i seem to be an emotional eater, and become very depressed when unable to eat certain foods. i imagine this would be (and is) a problem with changing diets on any scale.

i dont have any moral issue personally with eating animals, as suffering seems to be automatic to the animal kingdom (ie, food chain) and would be impossible to remove, so i do not see an issue with human beings eating other species. i would even take it farther that cannibalism is not innately evil, but eating a human seems like it breaches an ancient ethical boundary that would take hundreds of years to ever breach on a moral level.

i do however seem to find being a vegan/vegetarian a good way to reduce humanity's footprint on the earth, which is primarily the case for why people should go vegan in "cowspiracy". this seems to reach the pragmatic in me, so i do think lessening animal agriculture on earth would be a good thing, but i do not think you can easily convince anyone to become a vegan or vegetarian this way. i think maybe starting with baby steps like a #meatlessmonday viral strategy or perhaps promoting gmo foods such as soylent would be a good way of getting something accomplished.

i think its fairly pointless to be a vegan/vegetarian however if you are just going to eat meat/dairy/egg substitutes instead, as that seems to be pointless to me? what are you actually avoiding then? it seems like itd be better if you just detached yourself from the idea of animal products altogether, or to just accept that these staples are staples of food for a reason -- they are delicious. if an ethical/moral boundary, is keeping you from consuming animals, wouldnt it be a bit strange to pretend to eat animals continually then? wouldnt that be like instead of commiting a crime, you simulate committing a crime over and over? what would not make it a crime at that point, since you are committing science and resources to recreate the animal part itself, which would indicate there is something you desiring in the animal itself? this shit confuses me

ultimately, id like to be a vegan perhaps but i do not have the willpower to do so, but not for moral reasons

and i guess thats all my thoughts on veganism/vegetarianism

hopefully this doesnt shit up this thread, i really like the idea of limiting yourself for health or moral reasons, its interesting to me, i just dont really understand (but i also dont understand you humans at all)

im curious, i want to understand -- is there a universal reason for becoming vegan? is there a purpose to it? like is it a morally based decision, or religious? i dont really understand it.

To make it short: No.
I'm vegan for ethical, animal rights and climate protection reasons.

Of course I and all others here know suffering (in the animal kingdom) cannot be stopped (by us or anyone else) entirely. That's beside the point. We want to just limit the amount of pain and suffering that we inflict or is inflicted by others as a direct consequences of our choices to a minimum.

And I really don't understand your reasoning regarding substitutes. So if we eat that carrot hot dog posted above that somehow makes us hypocrites because what exactly? we shouldn't try to emulate a 'meat dish'?
The shape and form food is served in has little baring on my choices.

Sadsic

To make it short: No.
I'm vegan for ethical, animal rights and climate protection reasons.

Of course I and all others here know suffering (in the animal kingdom) cannot be stopped (by us or anyone else) entirely. That's beside the point. We want to just limit the amount of pain and suffering that we inflict or is inflicted by others as a direct consequences of our choices to a minimum.

And I really don't understand your reasoning regarding substitutes. So if we eat that carrot hot dog posted above that somehow makes us hypocrites because what exactly? we shouldn't try to emulate a 'meat dish'?
The shape and form food is served in has little baring on my choices.

am i a terrible person if the food chain doesnt affect me enough to want to stop eating meat (i mean this seriously, should i actually be looking into this further)? like is there an acceptable level of pain and suffering an animal could receive? like say under kosher laws, the animal is supposed to be killed painlessly. or what if an animal just dies naturally/from old age. could you eat them then, as like some sort of rare delicacy, since there would be much less animals dying artificially by man? also can you consume breast milk from a human, as a cow milk substitute?

i dont really think eating meat substitutes is a hypocrisy, but doesnt it just make you want to eat meat again? like, if you're eating a substitute of something, doesnt that admit the original is at least hedonistically delicious? i feel like if i tried to convert to veganism seriously, i would want to steer clear of meat-type products (or at least products that look and imitate the look and smell of meat) as much as i could, just to relinquish myself from slipping back into eating meat. that might be literally me though

MrT

i watched the documentary "cowspiracy" on netflix a few months, which almost convinced me to become vegan, but ultimately i found myself unable to restrict my diet enough because i seem to be an emotional eater, and become very depressed when unable to eat certain foods. i imagine this would be (and is) a problem with changing diets on any scale.

You sound like you're thinking about it in a totally negative light from the outset. If you don't think you can handle full vegan straight away go vegetarian first. Meat is (or at least should be!) a tiny part of an average meal anyway. If you start off thinking about the things you can't have, you forget about the millions of things you *can* have. It's really not as hard as you think.

On meat substitutes, everyone has their own view. They're certainly a useful way of transitioning for people who can't seem to do without meat. I don't have a problem with them, in fact there are some that I love, not because they're a meat substitute but because they taste great and make a mean bowl of noodles.

yonder

am i a terrible person if the food chain doesnt affect me enough to want to stop eating meat (i mean this seriously, should i actually be looking into this further)? like is there an acceptable level of pain and suffering an animal could receive? like say under kosher laws, the animal is supposed to be killed painlessly. or what if an animal just dies naturally/from old age. could you eat them then, as like some sort of rare delicacy, since there would be much less animals dying artificially by man? also can you consume breast milk from a human, as a cow milk substitute?

i dont really think eating meat substitutes is a hypocrisy, but doesnt it just make you want to eat meat again? like, if you're eating a substitute of something, doesnt that admit the original is at least hedonistically delicious? i feel like if i tried to convert to veganism seriously, i would want to steer clear of meat-type products (or at least products that look and imitate the look and smell of meat) as much as i could, just to relinquish myself from slipping back into eating meat. that might be literally me though
It's great to hear you're questioning whether to eat animal products or not and I definitely think you should dig deeper. For me it's simply about nonviolence and reducing the suffering you're causing to animals, the planet and your own health. We don't have to eat animal products, so if we can reduce the harm we're causing, why wouldn't we?

Check put these youtube videos if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao2GL3NAWQU&index=3&list=FL0RbECcoFP03rVrrA3-Rhag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4HJcq8qHAY&index=8&list=FL0RbECcoFP03rVrrA3-Rhag

Also have a look at Forks Over Knives for the health argument and Earthlings for the ethical argument if you want some documentaries.

And keep up the questions! I'll be happy to answer them when I have the time :)

Daigoro

am i a terrible person if the food chain doesnt affect me enough to want to stop eating meat (i mean this seriously, should i actually be looking into this further)?

there is no "food chain" we are well past this point in human evolution. now, millions of animals are raised, mistreated, and live short cruel lives in deplorable conditions before they are slaughtered, specifically because we like the way they taste. not out of necessity, not because we need to eat them to survive or be healthy, only for palate pleasure.

i dont believe there is any acceptable amount of suffering we should inflict on any living being for the sole purpose of giving us pleasure. there are plenty of analogies to draw here, but it seems pretty simple when the question is posed is: is it acceptable to cause suffering to others if it brings one pleasure?

the fact that you're even bothering to ask mean you still have questions. so yes, you should be looking into this further. :)

Kinokou

i do however seem to find being a vegan/vegetarian a good way to reduce humanity's footprint on the earth, which is primarily the case for why people should go vegan in "cowspiracy". this seems to reach the pragmatic in me, so i do think lessening animal agriculture on earth would be a good thing, but i do not think you can easily convince anyone to become a vegan or vegetarian this way. i think maybe starting with baby steps like a #meatlessmonday viral strategy or perhaps promoting gmo foods such as soylent would be a good way of getting something accomplished.

Spiraling of this and the post mentioning a vegan leather belt (made of italian microfibers which I assume means plastic?) got me thinking. If one chooses to go vegan for environmental reasons and also tries to live a petroleum free life how does one keeps ones feet dry and warm in rain and snow?

Are there such a thing as natural rubber somehow insulate shoes? Have any of you considered such a trade off between being leather or plastic free in footwear or other areas of life?

It might not be vegan life style related but I am curious to hear some thoughts on the topic and maybe learn about some kind of new shoes that would fulfill the criteria avoiding animal and plastic materials.

Famassu

My reasons are mostly ecological (meat production is pretty much one of the biggest cause of environmental problems in the world today, problems other than just climate change), though with the added huge benefit that no (or at least fewer) animals come to harm because I am living on this planet. I just think that with the current knowledge we know enough to offer plenty of all kinds of stuff that not only replace animal products as sources of protein, but also have the texture & taste that is close enough to meat, that no one can really make the argument that a vegan diet is not possible or isn't good for you. That said, the problem with the image of veganism is that some vegans think that it needs to be an all or nothing thing. I personally urge people to try to aim for a vegan diet but in a way that if they feel like eating chicken once a month or something, then feel free to eat chicken once a month if that helps you keep a vegan diet rest of the time. Maybe one can't be considered a vegan if one does that, but that's still much better than just being "bleh, I've failed being fully vegan, I'll just abandon vegan alternatives completely and continue eating meat everyday!"

As to your problem with abandoning meat, why not try to start with something like "meatless monday"? A single day a week when you don't eat meat or use any animal products. Then as you perhaps discover more & more food that you enjoy with no meat or other animal products in it, maybe expand it to two or three days per week. Once you've grown even more accustomed to those foods, maybe try a whole meatless month and see how it goes. And even when perhaps making something with meat, maybe look into, say, using some milk/cream alternatives if you make dishes that require those. Oat cream is a perfectly fine alternative to cow-originated cream. If you make cakes with whipped cream used in them, maybe try using some plant-based alternatives for whipped cream if you can find some in your local stores. If you drink milk as is and think none of the vegan alternatives taste good on their own, then at least maybe try using them in cooking/baking. Even if you don't like the taste of, say, soy milk when just drinking it, using it as an ingredient in some recipes that call for milk can give tasty results. Like, making cinnamon buns with some kind of plant milk will give just as tasty results as cow milk (if not even more).

There are plenty of foods that you can use as a kind of substitute for meat in food. Some are a bit further away from the "feel" and taste of meat (i.e. falafel) but can still kind of act the role of meatballs, for example, in your dinner, others like seitan (when made well) are close enough that it would probably satiate most people's meat cravings if they weren't so prejudiced against meat substitutes.

Every little bit counts, really, so anything you can really do to lessen the amount of animal products you use is for the better. You don't have to ditch everything, but try to make more conscious decisions. Even if you continue eating, say, fish, maybe try to buy the ecologically better local alternatives from the local market instead of tuna in a can.

But really, abandoning meat is surprisingly easy once you actually do try. I was like you and was all "but meat is so goooooooooooooooooooood, how could I ever abandon it completely" some years ago. Then, after giving it a lot of thought, I tried a meatless month challenge that I saw on Facebook in January 2010 and I've been on that road ever since (apart from a few nights of during the first Spring when my drunk brains didn't quite remember I wasn't meant to have kebab in my pizza...). Going cold turkey isn't for everyone so someone like you might have to ease into it. And the thing is, if you try something like seitan and don't immediately like it, don't abandon seitan completely based on just a single bad experience. Sometimes it might take some time to get used to the taste and/or texture of vegan alternatives. Sometimes it just takes time to learn to make tasty vegan alternatives and sometimes if you are too lazy to make your own the stuff they sell at stores isn't always the best example of how good certain things like falafels & seitan can be. My first falafels were far from perfect. Kind of like tasteless balls of flour or something. :S But nowadays I can make some pretty damn great falafels, if I do say so myself. :)

Spiraling of this and the post mentioning a vegan leather belt (made of italian microfibers which I assume means plastic?) got me thinking. If one chooses to go vegan for environmental reasons and also tries to live a petroleum free life how does one keeps ones feet dry and warm in rain and snow?

Are there such a thing as natural rubber somehow insulate shoes? Have any of you considered such a trade off between being leather or plastic free in footwear or other areas of life?

It might not be vegan life style related but I am curious to hear some thoughts on the topic and maybe learn about some kind of new shoes that would fulfill the criteria avoiding animal and plastic materials.

Everything in life is a trade off between one thing or another.
We cannot live carbon footprint free existences. We cannot live cruelty free existences!
All we can hope to do is minimise our impact as much as possible constrained by our own ability, knowledge and conviction.

yonder

As far as I know vegan leather is usually some kind of plastic, and while plastic is bad for the environment the ecological damage caused by leather tanneries is greater and involves animal suffering, so in my opinion real leather comes out worse. Of course, a canvas belt would be even better. And a fairtrade one would be better still! There's always something you could improve or do better, so I try not to drive myself crazy with it, but I intend to never stop learning how I could do a little better and I strive to improve my awareness of things.

And speaking of ethical footwear: http://shop.ethletic.com/en/ Anyone tried some shoes from here? Gonna order a pair for spring, I think.

As far as I know vegan leather is usually some kind of plastic, and while plastic is bad for the environment the ecological damage caused by leather tanneries is greater and involves animal suffering, so in my opinion real leather comes out worse. Of course, a canvas belt would be even better. And a fairtrade one would be better still! There's always something you could improve or do better, so I try not to drive myself crazy with it, but I intend to never stop learning how I could do a little better and I strive to improve my awareness of things.

And speaking of ethical footwear: http://shop.ethletic.com/en/ Anyone tried some shoes from here? Gonna order a pair for spring, I think.

http://wills-vegan-shoes.com/

Also has the best looking casual leather ish vegan shoes i have found. The Fit is a bit tight but they look decent in person.

Yeah, got my belt from there and it's great! Fantastic customer service too.

yeah my dad became friends with one of the guys there. We kept running into supply problems trying to buy a pair of boots for me for christmas. I am finally retiring all my shoes for vegan ones.

derFeef

I have Vegeterian Shoes among others, they are okay but I often found them a bit too stiff.

I also got this for my SO for christmas, it really looks like leather, smells a bit too even.
I know some folks don't like that but we are okay with it.

For the upcoming wedding of my brother in law we were asked to provide our favourite recipe. (I can only assume whoever is asking is going to make a recipe book with all the submissions for the newly-weds)

Instead of just handing over a boring ass document I thought I would give ours a nice theme that stands out. The theme came almost naturally due to the name of the dish (originally Noodly Tunafish, an old family favourite of ours, now of course without the cheese and tuna. ;)).
It's now Noodley Tooney Macarooney.

I thought you might like it and am looking for constructive suggestions both in content and presentation if you have any.

Kinokou

Everything in life is a trade off between one thing or another.
We cannot live carbon footprint free existences. We cannot live cruelty free existences!
All we can hope to do is minimise our impact as much as possible constrained by our own ability, knowledge and conviction.

Thanks, I guess if I ever take the steps I'll be plant-based rather than vegan. Unless there is some major innovation giving me the perfect compromise.

I guess no one remember what I eat like, or if I ever shared it in this thread but I'm a little sad to report that I will be eating a bit more meat in the future. I tried out being pescetarian for a year, then I got kind of sick of fish and did half a year as vegetarian but at the end of that period I noticed I was not feeling well physically and didn't have a lot of energy. So now I'm thinking I'll try have some meat once in a while to mix up with fish so I don't tire of it again. But I'm still swearing off chicken and pork and of course continue with my established vegan and vegetarian dishes.

All in all I'll see how it goes, continue to seek knowledge and new dishes at my own pace and then hopefully start to reduce meat consumption again at some point.

Hope I'm not disappointing you guys too much with this step back.

Gaaraz

im curious, i want to understand -- is there a universal reason for becoming vegan?
Just going back to this point, I always thought vegans were actually kinda weird, and never thought for a second that I'd be vegetarian let alone vegan.

And then I watched Earthlings, and couldn't believe how fucked up the way we treat animals is, and more importantly, how easy it is to stop contributing to it. I actually enjoy food way more than before, I feel better, and now it's actually one of the most important things in my life. Definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made :)

yonder

I guess no one remember what I eat like, or if I ever shared it in this thread but I'm a little sad to report that I will be eating a bit more meat in the future. I tried out being pescetarian for a year, then I got kind of sick of fish and did half a year as vegetarian but at the end of that period I noticed I was not feeling well physically and didn't have a lot of energy. So now I'm thinking I'll try have some meat once in a while to mix up with fish so I don't tire of it again. But I'm still swearing off chicken and pork and of course continue with my established vegan and vegetarian dishes.
This is pretty a common reason for people to leave veganism, and I believe all except for a very few cases could've been prevented with eating better. What was your diet like? Were you eating enough food overall? Vegan diets can be a challenge if you're new, but when you get the hang of it they can make you feel great. If you want to give it a go, have a look at www.theveganrd.com and www.veganhealth.org for some nutrition info. I don't judge you for eating animal products, but I hope you reconsider omitting them for good with a little more nutritional support. Good luck!

And here's a basic plate guide:

Messina-Plant-Plate.jpg

Gaaraz

That's a good point, a lot of meats and dairy products are very high in calories, so when people go veggie or vegan they eat the same amount as before and don't replace the calories. I eat more than before but feel great and have loads of energy.

Top Bottom