• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

Famassu

Thanks, I guess if I ever take the steps I'll be plant-based rather than vegan. Unless there is some major innovation giving me the perfect compromise.

I guess no one remember what I eat like, or if I ever shared it in this thread but I'm a little sad to report that I will be eating a bit more meat in the future. I tried out being pescetarian for a year, then I got kind of sick of fish and did half a year as vegetarian but at the end of that period I noticed I was not feeling well physically and didn't have a lot of energy. So now I'm thinking I'll try have some meat once in a while to mix up with fish so I don't tire of it again. But I'm still swearing off chicken and pork and of course continue with my established vegan and vegetarian dishes.

All in all I'll see how it goes, continue to seek knowledge and new dishes at my own pace and then hopefully start to reduce meat consumption again at some point.

Hope I'm not disappointing you guys too much with this step back.
Eh? Chicken & pork would be the wisest meat to eat if you feel like eating meat (and don't want to eat fish). Red meat is the worst of all. Not only to your health but also to the environment.

Kinokou

This is pretty a common reason for people to leave veganism, and I believe all except for a very few cases could've been prevented with eating better. What was your diet like? Were you eating enough food overall? Vegan diets can be a challenge if you're new, but when you get the hang of it they can make you feel great. If you want to give it a go, have a look at www.theveganrd.com and www.veganhealth.org for some nutrition info. I don't judge you for eating animal products, but I hope you reconsider omitting them for good with a little more nutritional support. Good luck!

And here's a basic plate guide:

Messina-Plant-Plate.jpg

Honestly I have no clue if I ate enough or not, I would feel full tough. I'll bookmark your links for future reference. Maybe I should start paying more attention to what I eat even now to have something to reference back to.

Eh? Chicken & pork would be the wisest meat to eat if you feel like eating meat (and don't want to eat fish). Red meat is the worst of all. Not only to your health but also to the environment.

There have been some outbreaks and findings of multi resistent bacteria in the meat and farms in Norway, and apparently the situation is worse in the rest of the world. Hearing about that was the main push for me to change my diet as I want no part of setting back medical progress to the dark ages.

Famassu

There have been some outbreaks and findings of multi resistent bacteria in the meat and farms in Norway, and apparently the situation is worse in the rest of the world. Hearing about that was the main push for me to change my diet as I want no part of setting back medical progress to the dark ages.
Buy organic. They don't use antibiotics & in general should have the chicken in better conditions. At least they shouldn't, as then they shouldn't be able to label their chicken organic.

The same overuse of antibiotics is a problem with cattle as well, in addition to the vastly worse ecological effect.

Kinokou

Buy organic. They don't use antibiotics & in general should have the chicken in better conditions. At least they shouldn't, as then they shouldn't be able to label their chicken organic.

The same overuse of antibiotics is a problem with cattle as well, in addition to the vastly worse ecological effect.

I wasn't aware of that, I'll look into it. It feels a bit odd to consider it since I have chicken coded as "enemy" right now, but if it really turns out to be the better option it deserves a chance.

I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian, but I often aim for having meat- or animal product-free meals. Recently I tried replacing dairy milk for soy milk, but I found out that it doesn't agree with me. Same for soy yogurt in place of dairy yogurt. I end up getting minor stomach cramps, a ton of bloating, and really nasty-smelling gas. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

My understanding is that this is due to certain oligosaccharides found in soy products. I can eat legumes easily (like, I can literally eat a can of black beans without any discomfort), it seems like soy milk, soy yogurt, and Soylent get me badly though. Would Beano be helpful, perhaps? My two major reasons for choosing more vegan/vegetarian options are 1) I feel bad for animals and 2) to be more environmentally-friendly... but I have no way of determining whether the process to make and produce Beano is relatively harmful towards the environment, which makes me question if replacing soy milk and a Beano tablet in place of dairy milk is really a net gain in that regard.

Daigoro

Thanks, I guess if I ever take the steps I'll be plant-based rather than vegan. Unless there is some major innovation giving me the perfect compromise.

I guess no one remember what I eat like, or if I ever shared it in this thread but I'm a little sad to report that I will be eating a bit more meat in the future. I tried out being pescetarian for a year, then I got kind of sick of fish and did half a year as vegetarian but at the end of that period I noticed I was not feeling well physically and didn't have a lot of energy. So now I'm thinking I'll try have some meat once in a while to mix up with fish so I don't tire of it again. But I'm still swearing off chicken and pork and of course continue with my established vegan and vegetarian dishes.

All in all I'll see how it goes, continue to seek knowledge and new dishes at my own pace and then hopefully start to reduce meat consumption again at some point.

Hope I'm not disappointing you guys too much with this step back.

if you're a little sad to report that you're going to eat meat, and assuming you stopped eating meat (except fish of course...) for ethical reasons, then yes, it's pretty disappointing.

a proper vegan diet (which is not terribly difficult to maintain if you put in at least a little effort) shouldn't make you feel unhealthy, quite the opposite.

have you been seen by a doctor? were you taking any supplements? are you just assuming it's your diet? it would be a shame to do something you believe is wrong because you arent feeling healthy. especially if you arent sure of the reason why, or refused to put in any effort to keep yourself healthy.

I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian, but I often aim for having meat- or animal product-free meals. Recently I tried replacing dairy milk for soy milk, but I found out that it doesn't agree with me. Same for soy yogurt in place of dairy yogurt. I end up getting minor stomach cramps, a ton of bloating, and really nasty-smelling gas. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

My understanding is that this is due to certain oligosaccharides found in soy products. I can eat legumes easily (like, I can literally eat a can of black beans without any discomfort), it seems like soy milk, soy yogurt, and Soylent get me badly though. Would Beano be helpful, perhaps? My two major reasons for choosing more vegan/vegetarian options are 1) I feel bad for animals and 2) to be more environmentally-friendly... but I have no way of determining whether the process to make and produce Beano is relatively harmful towards the environment, which makes me question if replacing soy milk and a Beano tablet in place of dairy milk is really a net gain in that regard.

Welcome to the thread Soka!
You could try other dairy free milks like almond, coconut or hemp milk.

I understand your concerns, for the average consumer it is often difficult impossible to see the whole picture.
But I'm pretty sure soy (milk) is better for the environment overall than cattle (milk). Especially considering cattle eat loads of soy themselves.
Not that I have a link at hand to underline that though.

[edit]
http://theconversation.com/soy-versus-dairy-whats-the-footprint-of-milk-8498
This means it takes between .26 and .31kcal of fossil fuel to make 1kcal of soybeans (contrasted with 10-14kcal to make 1kcal of dairy milk protein)
The water footprint of the soy milk products analysed in this study was 28% of the water footprint of the global average cow milk. The water footprint of the soy burger examined was 7% of the water footprint of the average beef burger in the world.

Part-time vegetarian here posting:
in a week or so a friend of my gf is coming over who is vegan and I want to make something great for dinner. Are there any wonderful dishes you guys know of / enjoy that I could prepare? Difficulty/cuisine origin is not a problem as I cook diverse dishes all the time, I just don't want to break the bank grabbing some rare 1-off ingredients :D

Part-time vegetarian here posting:
in a week or so a friend of my gf is coming over who is vegan and I want to make something great for dinner. Are there any wonderful dishes you guys know of / enjoy that I could prepare? Difficulty/cuisine origin is not a problem as I cook diverse dishes all the time, I just don't want to break the bank grabbing some rare 1-off ingredients :D

I recommend this awesome shepherd's pie!

Gaaraz

Coming from someone who doesn't like lentils much, or mushrooms at all - I would eat the hell out of that shepherds pie.

Kinokou

if you're a little sad to report that you're going to eat meat, and assuming you stopped eating meat (except fish of course...) for ethical reasons, then yes, it's pretty disappointing.

a proper vegan diet (which is not terribly difficult to maintain if you put in at least a little effort) shouldn't make you feel unhealthy, quite the opposite.

have you been seen by a doctor? were you taking any supplements? are you just assuming it's your diet? it would be a shame to do something you believe is wrong because you arent feeling healthy. especially if you arent sure of the reason why, or refused to put in any effort to keep yourself healthy.

I did not see a doctor when I started feeling bad and changed my eating habits after about a week of that. I did go to a doctor recently because I had a fainting spell (after having reintroduced some meat) but it hasn't repeated itself and they concluded that nothing was out of the ordinary after some tests.

I haven't done any supplements, since I were more vegetarian than vegan I guessed B12 would be covered by yoghurt and occasionally fortified oats. Right now I'm taking some extra vitamins (C and D) but they are not prescribed.

For what I belive in my priorities are very straight:
1. not contribute to multiresistens bacteria
2. reduce environmental impact
3. animal rights/ethics

Writing out that list makes me feel like I shouldn't even be in this thread. I feel kind of morally outclassed and like a party pooper even if no one of you are speaking down to me.

yonder

I did not see a doctor when I started feeling bad and changed my eating habits after about a week of that. I did go to a doctor recently because I had a fainting spell (after having reintroduced some meat) but it hasn't repeated itself and they concluded that nothing was out of the ordinary after some tests.

I haven't done any supplements, since I were more vegetarian than vegan I guessed B12 would be covered by yoghurt and occasionally fortified oats. Right now I'm taking some extra vitamins (C and D) but they are not prescribed.

For what I belive in my priorities are very straight:
1. not contribute to multiresistens bacteria
2. reduce environmental impact
3. animal rights/ethics

Writing out that list makes me feel like I shouldn't even be in this thread. I feel kind of morally outclassed and like a party pooper even if no one of you are speaking down to me.
Naw c'mon, everyone's welcome here :) Even meat eaters get B12 deficiency, but it's hard to estimate how much you were getting, so I can't really offer much advice other than a B12 supplement is erring on the safe side if you only eat animal products occasionally. If you're deficient in B12, you should start to feel better very quickly after taking it. Also, you'd be better off just eating some fruits and greens than taking a supplement of vitamin C. A single orange covers your daily vitamin C, and you'll get a lot of other good stuff, too.

I've been vegan for ten years now (ten years this month, in fact!), and I eat lots of soy, but for some reason soy milk is the only soy product that impacts me like this. I'd say that if you want a good milk alternative, there are plenty out there that are better options than soy -- almond-coconut is my favourite, but almond, cashew and coconut are all really good. Rice milk is alright, too, if a little sweet.

Famassu

I've been vegan for ten years now (ten years this month, in fact!), and I eat lots of soy, but for some reason soy milk is the only soy product that impacts me like this. I'd say that if you want a good milk alternative, there are plenty out there that are better options than soy -- almond-coconut is my favourite, but almond, cashew and coconut are all really good. Rice milk is alright, too, if a little sweet.
Oat milk is pretty good as well. And at least in Finland, there are tons of oat-based alternatives to dairy products (oat yoghurt, oat ice-cream, oat whipped cream, oat cream etc.).

MrT

I've never been a massive fan of soy milk, much prefer almond or oat, and rice is good too. I find oat milk varies pretty wildly between brands though - I love ProVitamil, but find Oatly is pretty disgusting

derFeef

My favourite for cereals is a rice&soy mix milk. Spelt milk is also pretty good. For cafe/chai/matcha... latte soy is good as long as it's pure and without any additives like sugar. Almond milk is a bit too "sweet" for me.

RDreamer

I dig almond milk for breakfast stuff. Hell, I already put more nuts into my cereal anyway, so extra almond flavor makes sense.

panda-zebra

Hazelnut and almond I'm not a fan of, same goes for the vanilla flavoured Alpro soy drink (like drinking runny custard!).

Cheapo Tesco basic soya milk is great in nutribullet with other goodies. Rice Dream/Alpro Rice make amazing porridge (oatmeal), been buying whichever is cheapest in Tesco or ASDA. For straight up drinking it's coconut every time, so refreshing after a run. On the subject on running, did my first parkrun with club set to Vegan Runners UK today, did the vest justice with a lump shaved off my PB :)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I dig almond milk for breakfast stuff. Hell, I already put more nuts into my cereal anyway, so extra almond flavor makes sense.

I prefer oat milk. Has a neutral taste that goes well with cereals.

Ludovico

Three months vegetarian here, made it through all the holidays relatively unscathed.
Health wise I feel... Alright. I know I could be doing better, but binge nights of beer and loaded veggie burgers and fries are taking their toll.

As far as veggies and fruits, I love them, but I continue to deal with too much spoilage, and I hate feeling like I have to shop for groceries three times a week OR have things go bad too soon (which is why I rely too much on frozen alternative meats and pita/hummus right now).

Any tips for healthier bulk eating for someone that spends the majority of their day teaching and planning? I'm down for meal Prep Sundays, but not sure what would do well lasting all week. Slow cooker or pressure cooker things would be awesome...

PS - still feeling the vegan pull, just want to be a little more responsible with my health and learning to cook first. I'm considering switching to soy/almond milk.
Do any of you guys buy bulk? I'm in the south US, and have easy access to whole food and trader Joe's. Would consider Sam's/Costcos if it would justify the costs.

Thanks!

moggio

Banned
Three months vegetarian here, made it through all the holidays relatively unscathed.
Health wise I feel... Alright. I know I could be doing better, but binge nights of beer and loaded veggie burgers and fries are taking their toll.

As far as veggies and fruits, I love them, but I continue to deal with too much spoilage, and I hate feeling like I have to shop for groceries three times a week OR have things go bad too soon (which is why I rely too much on frozen alternative meats and pita/hummus right now).

Any tips for healthier bulk eating for someone that spends the majority of their day teaching and planning? I'm down for meal Prep Sundays, but not sure what would do well lasting all week. Slow cooker or pressure cooker things would be awesome...

PS - still feeling the vegan pull, just want to be a little more responsible with my health and learning to cook first. I'm considering switching to soy/almond milk.
Do any of you guys buy bulk? I'm in the south US, and have easy access to whole food and trader Joe's. Would consider Sam's/Costcos if it would justify the costs.

Thanks!

Is your cupboard full of the usual long-lived staples (rice, lentils, chickpeas, pasta etc.)? Also tinned sweetcorn, beans and tomatoes etc. that last an age and can be dumped into most things.

What about frozen vegetables for longevity? You can buy them pre-frozen or freeze fresh vegetables you won't use in time.

Also if you cook something bulk that can also be portioned and frozen for later.

I made some carrot and chilli soup earlier that I portioned into individual plastic bags and shoved into the freezer.

This is an easy and very tasty vegetable curry I make when I can't be arsed:

Mixed Vegetable Curry

Ingredients

200g carrots
300g potatoes
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 ½ tsp cumin seeds
1 ½ tsp mustard seeds
2 onions finely chopped
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 ½ tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp of grated ginger
2 garlic cloves crushed
250ml strained tin tomatoes
200ml vegetable stock
115g frozen peas
115g frozen spinach leaves

Method

Cut the carrots into chunks and the potatoes into quarters and boil until just tender.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the cumin and mustard seeds until they start to sizzle. Add the onions, partially cover and cook over a medium-low heat until soft and golden.

Add the other spices, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the strained tomatoes, stock, carrots and potatoes, partially cover and cook for 10 - 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the peas and spinach, then cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes.

Again, if there's any left over that I won't get through I just bag it and freeze it for later.

Thanks!

You can do worse than have a freezer full of vegetables.
We always have stuff like spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, peas et al. in the freezer.

Kinokou

Thanks!

To supplement the already mentioned, root vegetables stay eatable for a long time. Here is the first list of food items that last 7+ days offered by google:
Beets
Cabbage
Carrots
Celery
Garlic
Hard Squash
Onions
Potatoes

Famassu

Most vegetable & fruit last for longer than a week when properly stored. And they are perfectly edible even if they go a bit soft or don't look super appetizing (at that point they are best used as an ingredient in something where they are maybe mushed rather than eaten as is). One just needs to know what to keep in the fridge, what is better on the kitchen counter and what can be thrown into the freezer.

I know this is a bit of a driveby post, but:

I'm a big Omnivore, and I'm practically Toriko in how adventurous I am with food combos and recipes. A lot of Vegan 'Alternative' foods have made their way onto my plate, and I've loved every one of them. Every food lover should have a friendly vegan cook dinner for them every now and then, it's great! :)

yonder

Cabbage is great, cheap, nutritious and lasts forever. I keep a red cabbage in my fridge and slice of what I need every now and then. It's surprisingly good in tacos, burritos and other kinds of wraps.

Kinokou

Cabbage is great, cheap, nutritious and lasts forever. I keep a red cabbage in my fridge and slice of what I need every now and then. It's surprisingly good in tacos, burritos and other kinds of wraps.

Cabbage is sadly one of the things that makes me super gassy, I do better with legums, but it is still a bit of an issue. But I'll overcome it I'm sure.

FiraB

Banned
Got a few cousins that have been vegans for a long time, coming up on two decades and they are perfectly fine since they have been vegans since six or seven years old. Not my personal choice, I raise my chickens and pigs and kill them myself, firm believer in that simply because you appreciate it far more and it does stop you eating meat to much, plus my animals produce fertilizer, free fertilizer for my gardens and crops.

Dont eat red meat though, figured out how to make meatless meatballs years ago from my cousins and never looked back. Lots of people I know think I'm nuts for that one but when you figure out how bad red meat is for you its quite scary, sure proper bbq stuff is mouthwateringly good but I still avoid it.

Also look into traditional buddhist cooking recipes, some of them are really scary with how accurate they can make certain things taste like actual meat without any animal product being used.

Subbed the thread to, cookings a passion and I like to experiment so if I come up eith some nice recipes I will drop them in for you lot. No vegan baking though, tried that and kindly backed away from it very quickly (to traditional in that sorry).

Ludovico

Thanks to ya'll and everyone else that responded, I really appreciate it.
I do have dry beans, frozen peas, rice, quinoa, and TONS of frozen broccoli/cauliflower. When I do go shopping, it's without plan or reason (maybe a dream of making stir-fry that week at the most), so I just grab it if it's veggie, but don't have a plan from there.
I guess I should look at canned stuff too, I assume prep-time for canned goods is greatly reduced (just heat and eat)?

So short term I'll stick to better meal planning BEFORE I head out, do some diligence and educate myself on proper storage, maybe print a cheat sheet, and also start freezing leftovers to prevent wasted meals.

Breaking out my "forks over knives" cookbook for tonight!

I know this is a bit of a driveby post, but:

I'm a big Omnivore, and I'm practically Toriko in how adventurous I am with food combos and recipes. A lot of Vegan 'Alternative' foods have made their way onto my plate, and I've loved every one of them. Every food lover should have a friendly vegan cook dinner for them every now and then, it's great! :)

Yeah, I agree. I particularly like vegan deserts. They tend to be more oatey and grainy and less sweet. Good for a change of pace.

Top Bottom