• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

Thanks to ya'll and everyone else that responded, I really appreciate it.
I do have dry beans, frozen peas, rice, quinoa, and TONS of frozen broccoli/cauliflower. When I do go shopping, it's without plan or reason (maybe a dream of making stir-fry that week at the most), so I just grab it if it's veggie, but don't have a plan from there.
I guess I should look at canned stuff too, I assume prep-time for canned goods is greatly reduced (just heat and eat)?

So short term I'll stick to better meal planning BEFORE I head out, do some diligence and educate myself on proper storage, maybe print a cheat sheet, and also start freezing leftovers to prevent wasted meals.

Breaking out my "forks over knives" cookbook for tonight!

Never go shopping without a plan. That's just a recipie to waste money and food. ;)

derFeef

I hear/read this fucking
"How do you know if somebody is vegan? They tell you"
thing more often than "I am vegan" But hey if you react to it that person is right then, no?

I could... ugh...

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
yo vegan bros..how's "Soyrizo"..the vegan equivalent to chorizo? Does it taste just as good? Im worried about the flavor overall...

DJ_Lae

I hear/read this fucking
thing more often than "I am vegan" But hey if you react to it that person is right then, no?

I could... ugh...

In person I hear it occasionally, mostly because someone will bring it up the same way they'd bring up allergies or food preferences.

Online, there's a lot more vocal opposition to vegans. I'm not vegan myself but I like cooking vegan dishes for variety and I find the anger directed towards them to be kind of weird.

Famassu

Well...

Seitan dough

Dry ingredients (mix these together first)
-4 desiliters of gluten flour
-2 desiliters of chickpea flour; a portion of this (but no more than half) can be soy flour, but it can be chickpea only as well, you might have to test it out what kind of mix you like the best
-spices to your own taste (I use garlic powder, paprika, chili, coriander, black pepper, ginger, garam masala), just don't be too skimpy with these or else it might be left a bit too tasteless , at least 1-1,5 teaspoons of all of these but if you like spicier you can probably use more. You can also use fresh garlic, chili & coriander but I feel garlic & chili work just as well as the fresh stuff as powders and coriander (& chili) works well dried
-1 tblsp vegetable stock powder
-2 tblsp nutritional yeast

Liquids
-2,5 desiliters of water
-0,5 desiliters soy sauce
-0,5 desiliters vegetable oil of your choice

Marinade (just mix all of these together)
-a couple of those small ~70 gram cans of tomato pure/paste
-3 tblsp oil
-1 tblsp soy sauce
-1 tblsp apple cider vinegar
-0,5 dl of water
-1 tblsp vegetable stock powder
-some onion powder

First mix the dry ingredients of the seitan together, then the liquids and then mix those all together. You can first use a spoon or something and once it's firmer, just use hand to mold it into a big log/lump. Cut that lump into smaller pieces (something like 10-15 pieces) and mold them into sausage-like form. Take some foil and put it onto an oven pan or another kind of oven-surviving deeper kitchen utility, then put the sausage pieces on the foil. Pour all of the marinade on & around the sausages (make sure the marinade doesn't flow off the foil) and wrap the foil around the sausages as air tight as possible (not too tight, though, since the sausages need some room to expand). Alternatively you can wrap each of the sausages into separate pieces of foil, but if one's as lazy as me, it's easier to just throw them inside one bigger piece of aluminum foil and be done with it. :p

Heat your oven to 175*C (or whatever that is in your American heathen systems) and cook the sausages in the oven for 1,5 hours. You might survive with 1 hour & 15 minutes but 1,5 hours should guarantee that they aren't left raw, especially if you make thicker sausages

Note: I'm not really sure how much this actually resembles "real" chorizo since I never ate it before abandoning meat, but this is a pretty good spicy seitan sausage that I've made using meat chorizo recipes & my knowledge of seitan making as a roadmap.

Famassu

Foil probably isn't necessary, but you do need to make sure that they are at least somewhat airtight so that they don't dry up in the 1,5 hours they are in the oven.

Poona

I hear/read this fucking

I could... ugh...

I actually try to avoid saying I'm vegan, because of that stupid joke. Like to prove it wrong, unless I really have to say it for whatever reason.

yonder

Just putting this out there. Don't buy the hype of overpriced food and science illiteracy.

http://www.vegangmo.com/?page_id
Thanks, appreciate this! I hate when vegans get lumped in with the all natural anti-GMO crowd so it's good to see that pages like these exist. I would think a lot of vegans would have come to the conclusion that there's nothing inherently wrong with GMOs or "unnatural" stuff since we have to rely on "unnatural" B12 supplements for example.

EDIT: As an example of how vegans are linked to the notion of all natural, I'm still looking for a good vegan deodorant. It's the last non-vegan toiletry I'm hanging on to because none of the alternatives have worked that well for me, and I can't be sweaty at work (no one wants a smelly teacher). I haven't found any good regular vegan deodorants, just "natural" ones. I actually just ordered this one since it's had some great reviews, but if anyone knows of a good one available in Europe I would love to know. What do you guys use?

A0EXxhR.png

ricki42

Thanks, appreciate this! I hate when vegans get lumped in with the all natural anti-GMO crowd so it's good to see that pages like these exist. I would think a lot of vegans would have come to the conclusion that there's nothing inherently wrong with GMOs or "unnatural" stuff since we have to rely on "unnatural" B12 supplements for example.

Agree completely. What people consider "natural" or not often seems pretty arbitrary anyway.

EDIT: As an example of how vegans are linked to the notion of all natural, I'm still looking for a good vegan deodorant. It's the last non-vegan toiletry I'm hanging on to because none of the alternatives have worked that well for me, and I can't be sweaty at work (no one wants a smelly teacher). I haven't found any good regular vegan deodorants, just "natural" ones. I actually just ordered this one since it's had some great reviews, but if anyone knows of a good one available in Europe I would love to know. What do you guys use?

I read some time ago that Mitchum just happens to be vegan - though I recently learned they are owned by Revlon who do animal-testing. But as far as I know Mitchum doesn't test. I've been using that and occasionally Tom's of Maine. I don't think Tom's is available in Europe, don't know about Mitchum.

Kinokou

Outside of red lentils and yellow split peas is there any thing else that will dissolve to a nice soup base by chopping, soaking and boiling?

I have yet to test the peas, and I will try the lentils for dinner today.

yonder

I read some time ago that Mitchum just happens to be vegan - though I recently learned they are owned by Revlon who do animal-testing. But as far as I know Mitchum doesn't test. I've been using that and occasionally Tom's of Maine. I don't think Tom's is available in Europe, don't know about Mitchum.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Just out of interest, how did these pan out? Any good or did you throw them to the trash bin after the first bite? :p

Yea I liked them. My SO thought they were to salty, so might tone that down a little next time.
They didn't expand any though and the marinade was very firm. Not sure if that's supposed to be the case or not.

Famassu

Yea I liked them. My SO thought they were to salty, so might tone that down a little next time.
They didn't expand any though and the marinade was very firm. Not sure if that's supposed to be the case or not.
Hmm, that might be because of the tomato paste. I actually use my own tomato sauce for the marinade that isn't as firm as the tomato paste, but I was a bit too hesitant to add that into the recipe since it would make the recipe a bit more of a hassle, which can be annoying on first tries if there are too many steps to it all. Thought some tomato paste would do the trick. Maybe use less of it or use a bit more water?

Or make your own tomato sauce like I do and use a few tablespoons of that in place of the tomato pure in the marinade. What I do is pretty simple. ~8 tomatoes cut to smaller pieces, 2-3 small cans of tomato pure & 2-3 onions: sauté onions in a bit of oil & maybe add a little bit of salt while sautéing them (like, 1/4-1/2th of a teaspoon), add tomatoes & cook them for some time, let some of the excess water evaporate, add tomato pure and use one of those stick blenders to blend it, or whatever you have that does the same). You'll end up with a lot of excess tomato sauce but you can maybe use it in a pizza or as a pasta sauce or in lasagne or something.

Famassu

looking for some authentic tasting indian recipes...any tips?
Not sure if it's Indian, but I find a sauce made from coconut cream + red curry paste + cinnamon with curry-flavored setain & some veggies & served with rice or couscous satisfies my oriental food cravings pretty well.

I like http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/
Made several of their recipes, found them quite good!
ah thanks, just what I was looking for!
Not sure if it's Indian, but I find a sauce made from coconut cream + red curry paste + cinnamon with curry-flavored setain & some veggies & served with rice or couscous satisfies my oriental food cravings pretty well.

yeah that's what I usually do too. it's good but want to get a bit more *real* indian taste though.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Famassu

sounds expensive hah :l . but I know it can really make a difference
It's expensive if you buy all of it at once, but it's usually a one-time deal and then you can use the spices for quite some time before they run out since you don usually put half of one jar/bag/whatever of spices into a single batch of food or anything.

At least assuming you don't then cook indian food every day for a family of 5+ people or something. :p

It's expensive if you buy all of it at once, but it's usually a one-time deal and then you can use the spices for quite some time before they run out since you don usually put half of one jar/bag/whatever of spices into a single batch of food or anything.

At least assuming you don't then cook indian food every day for a family of 5+ people or something. :p

hah no, just for me mostly!
just hope I can find them somewhere now...don't know any specific Indian super markets around here but will check the regular shelves.

i got hit hard this week with High Blood Pressure/Hypertension despite being 29 and 5'8" 145 lbs and working out 3 times a week for 30-Hour.

I did find out through montering my blood pressure that sodium is my culprite and keeping it under 900-100mg a day helps immensely...

This is going to be hard giving up soy sauce.

dude

dude
hah no, just for me mostly!
just hope I can find them somewhere now...don't know any specific Indian super markets around here but will check the regular shelves.
Most of the stuff should be easy to find - turmeric, cumin, cardamom, fenugreek etc. I only really had trouble finding mace, hing and kala namak...

i got hit hard this week with High Blood Pressure/Hypertension despite being 29 and 5'8" 145 lbs and working out 3 times a week for 30-Hour.

I did find out through montering my blood pressure that sodium is my culprite and keeping it under 900-100mg a day helps immensely...

This is going to be hard giving up soy sauce.

Ouch, that's harsh. Sorry to hear.
Let us know how it pans out and good luck with the change.

Kinokou

First try at the red lentil and split pea soups: neither legume get as smooth or "dissolved" as I would expect from online comments.

Also no weird reactions to the lentils! But I gotta wait to see how well I stomach the peas.

yonder

derFeef

I am currently looking for a nice backpack to keep my notebook (<15") and some every day use stuff with me.

I love those canvas rucksacks but almost all of them have leather straps or patches.

Anyone got a tip for me?

Kinokou

Hm, if you want it really smooth you could always throw it in a blender or use an immersion blender. I like to make this one sort of chunky, though: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...up-parsley-garlic-lemon-gremolata-recipe.html

i blend all my soups that i want creamy or smooth. Its more dishes but its soo creamy. Minimalist Baker is my waifu and she makes a damn good Asparagus Pea soup (sounds hilarious).
http://minimalistbaker.com/creamy-asparagus-and-pea-soup/

Due current life situation I don't want to invest in new hardware
this is also why I haven't played Splatoon yet :(
. I liked them even without the result I wanted the most. So I see myself making them again, and maybe experiment a little bit more with soaking procedures. The lentils were fine, but some of the peas stayed a bit hard so they have room for improvement. And I need to figure out the best veggies and spices to go with them still, I'll have a look at the links you provided for inspiration.

Gaaraz

It's here! http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/non-dairy

CHUNKY MONKEY
Banana non-dairy frozen dessert with fudge chunks & walnuts
We monkeyed around with our classic Chunky Monkey and we’re sure you’ll go ape for this non-dairy flavor! It’s still the chocolatey-chunkiest concoction-gone-bananas ever.

CHOCOLATE FUDGE BROWNIE
Chocolate non-dairy frozen dessert with fudge brownies
The fabulously fudgy brownies in the non-dairy version of this fan favorite come from New York’s Greyston Bakery, where producing great baked goods is part of their greater-good mission to provide jobs and training to low-income city residents.

COFFEE CARAMEL FUDGE
Coffee non-dairy frozen dessert with fudge chunks & a caramel swirl
We figured our non-dairy devotees would want a special flavor only they could enjoy, so this decadent non-dairy exclusive is chock full of fudge chunks and a rich swirl of caramel whirled into a base of Fairtrade coffee goodness.

P.B. & COOKIES
Vanilla non-dairy frozen dessert with chocolate sandwich cookies & crunchy peanut butter swirls
We’ve always had a love affair with P.B. and with cookies. So how could we go wrong with this flavor that delivers it all, from the crunchy peanut butter swirl to the yummy chocolate sandwich cookies?

Famassu

Making your own chocolate banana ice-cream is easy as hell. Take a few bananas (4-6), cut them into pieces, freeze them in the freezer overnight or 3-5 hours can be enough, take them out of the freezer and let melt just for a little while (especially if they've been in the freezer overnight), use any kind of blender to blend them and pour 1-2dl of any kind of whipped-cream alternative and blend some more. Mix plenty of raw cocoa powder. Maybe throw in some crushed nuts. Vóila.

Gaaraz

Thanks, that's a great tip and you're right that it's super quick and easy, and a great way to use up old bananas... but I can't deny that I'm still really looking forward to trying Ben and Jerry's version too :)

Making your own chocolate banana ice-cream is easy as hell. Take a few bananas (4-6), cut them into pieces, freeze them in the freezer overnight or 3-5 hours can be enough, take them out of the freezer and let melt just for a little while (especially if they've been in the freezer overnight), use any kind of blender to blend them and pour 1-2dl of any kind of whipped-cream alternative and blend some more. Mix plenty of raw cocoa powder. Maybe throw in some crushed nuts. Vóila.

Banana ice cream is goat!

yonder

Praying to the vegan gods that the new B&J flavours make it to Sweden. Vegan ice cream is sadly pretty limited here.

derFeef

Self-made ice cream is the best. Thank god for inventing (good) blenders ;)

yasu151

Hello vegans.
As a few others have said, I haven't been able to fully take the vegan plunge. However, over the past year (closer to 13 months) I've been eating more and more vegan. It started with a conscious decision to eat vegetarian once a week, and then twice a week. About six months into it, my wife and I decided if we're eating vegetarian already, why not make it vegan instead?

Now, we're up to three full days a week eating vegan, and we're thinking about adding a 4th day into the rotation. There are so many awesome recipies and ideas in this thread; Tahini truly is awesome. (A favorite is roasted chickpeas with smoked paprika with a tahini sauce & avacado.)

A simple starchy recipe we love consists of: beets, sweet potato, rutabega, parsnips, and garlic. Peel the root veggies and slice. Cut the head off the cloves of garlic, drizzle with coconut oil and bake in a covered pan in the oven at 400 for ~40-60 minutes, depending on desired crunchiness. We found the idea on pinterest, and it's become a staple veggie dish. The beets run and everything comes out looking quite pretty.

20160118_142433u1plr.jpg

Top Bottom