• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

20160118_142433u1plr.jpg
Sounds great, do you have a further link for it?

yasu151

Sounds great, do you have a further link for it?

Yes and no. I did search around for a bit, and found this approximate recipe. It's not exact to how we prep it, but it matches what we do pretty closely. We initially got the idea from an image we saw on pinterest, but never signed up for pinterest and couldn't see the recipe itself. However, you really can't go wrong.

Cast Iron Roasted Roots

Yes and no. I did search around for a bit, and found this approximate recipe. It's not exact to how we prep it, but it matches what we do pretty closely. We initially got the idea from an image we saw on pinterest, but never signed up for pinterest and couldn't see the recipe itself. However, you really can't go wrong.

Cast Iron Roasted Roots

We often have roasted vegetables (especially roast beetroot is goat!) and we love it. So this might be an interesting twist on it. :)

yasu151

Heck yes. Roasted veggies are so tasty and filling. We also take this to potlucks and gatherings as well. People usually appreciate the veggie side, and we can ensure we have something to eat without being snooty about it.

Further, we save all of the trimmings of our veggies in a ziplock bag in the freezer (and this recipe gives quite a few trimmings). When the bag is full, we put it in a big pot on the stove and let it simmer in water for an hour or two, before cooling. It becomes the base for any soup we make. It's salt free, and there's always a bit of a difference in how it tastes, depending on the veggies that contributed to the stock. (Or, cooking our legumes. Legumes cooked in this are wonderful.)

Heck yes. Roasted veggies are so tasty and filling. We also take this to potlucks and gatherings as well. People usually appreciate the veggie side, and we can ensure we have something to eat without being snooty about it.

Further, we save all of the trimmings of our veggies in a ziplock bag in the freezer (and this recipe gives quite a few trimmings). When the bag is full, we put it in a big pot on the stove and let it simmer in water for an hour or two, before cooling. It becomes the base for any soup we make. It's salt free, and there's always a bit of a difference in how it tastes, depending on the veggies that contributed to the stock. (Or, cooking our legumes. Legumes cooked in this are wonderful.)

Do you just use the liquid and get rid of the trimmings after cooking or do you just mix them down with the rest?

An awesome soup we've found is to use the leaves of radishes. We often have radishes in the house for sandwiches and the like and till recently we would through out the leaves, but they are awesome pureed into a simple potato soup. Gives a lovely sharp flavour.

yasu151

I'll give the radishes a try; that sounds tasty.
As for the trimmings, we toss them after squeezing. We throw the soup through a mesh, and squeeze the trimmings above the mesh to get out any extra juice.

Famassu

I hate food industry's monopolies. It's annoying when some all-time-worst companies like Nestle own, like, half of smaller companies you'd never associate with them and isn't necessarily made clear in the packaging.

derFeef

I hate food industry's monopolies. It's annoying when some all-time-worst companies like Nestle own, like, half of smaller companies you'd never associate with them and isn't necessarily made clear in the packaging.

It's gross. Also when you tell someone about Nestle and their practices and what they own... "And? There is no alternative"

Also what the hell Jack Black, making ads for Nescafe.

Famassu

It's gross. Also when you tell someone about Nestle and their practices and what they own... "And? There is no alternative"

Also what the hell Jack Black, making ads for Nescafe.
Yeah, it's especially annoying for shit like baby food (how hard is it to cook some veggies & stuff or slice some fruits & throw it into a blender) and with people who should know better (biologists should understand the effects of all kinds of harmful things on the environment, yet the fuck do they care either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) as well as some people who do have principles, but only about dumb shit like "PC port is locked at 1080p? Preposterous! Will never support company again!", yet stuff like "this causes severe environmental harm, is a lot more expensive, gives even more money to stupidly rich people at the expense of the rest etc." gets a "meh, it is what it is" reaction.

Welcome to the thread Soka!
You could try other dairy free milks like almond, coconut or hemp milk.

I understand your concerns, for the average consumer it is often difficult impossible to see the whole picture.
But I'm pretty sure soy (milk) is better for the environment overall than cattle (milk). Especially considering cattle eat loads of soy themselves.
Not that I have a link at hand to underline that though.

[edit]
http://theconversation.com/soy-versus-dairy-whats-the-footprint-of-milk-8498

I've been vegan for ten years now (ten years this month, in fact!), and I eat lots of soy, but for some reason soy milk is the only soy product that impacts me like this. I'd say that if you want a good milk alternative, there are plenty out there that are better options than soy -- almond-coconut is my favourite, but almond, cashew and coconut are all really good. Rice milk is alright, too, if a little sweet.

Sorry for my late reply, but thanks for the insight from both of you. I'm still drinking cow's milk for the time-being, but I did try almond milk and enjoy it. My main complaint is that (at least the one I bought) almond milk seems to have hardly any nutrients or protein in it. I usually use milk for making my rolled oats in the microwave, but it's hard to justify the cost of almond milk when I could just use water in my oatmeal instead.

But, basically, I'm trying to make small, gradual changes away from meat and away from dairy. I'm about 99% sure I'll never become a full vegan (or maybe even a full vegetarian), but I'm really motivated to have the majority of my meals being vegan. I mean, I know it's not as good as a full commitment, but man, if everyone on Earth had even just 30% of their meals vegan it'd make a huge, positive impact on many aspects of humanity/Earth.

Yea people seem to be awfully afraid that we are going to nick their bacon or something...

I just stopped entering vegan threads on GAF. 99% of the time they're immediately hostile.

I wouldn't exactly call my joke hostile. I have absolutely no problem with eating vegan and have considered going that route myself. I eat vegan "wingz" and other stuff every now and then. I just highly doubt this will taste anything close to the non-vegan version.

And bacon is overrated.

dude

dude
I wouldn't exactly call my joke hostile. I have absolutely no problem with eating vegan and have considered going that route myself. I eat vegan "wingz" and other stuff every now and then. I just highly doubt this will taste anything close to the non-vegan version.

And bacon is overrated.

I wasn't specifically talking about your joke, or any particular comment in that thread. Your joke was relatively harmless as far as I'm concerned.
It's more of a general impression - Vegan threads on GAF tend to be hostile towards vegans. Not 100% of the time, but in general.

This gravy you guys, it's awesome!

Everyone always seems so shocked when they discover that my wife makes homemade gravy. It's such a basic thing, though, that even I'm able to make it, and I'm a horrible cook. I've been surprised to discover how many people buy gravy at the store!

I'd sub in tamari for soy sauce in that recipe, though. The difference may be slight, but I think it's noticeable.

I eat vegan "wingz" and other stuff every now and then. I just highly doubt this will taste anything close to the non-vegan version.

You'd be surprised. The best vegan ice cream I've had (a local shop that makes it fresh) is just as creamy as the dairy versions, it just lacks the milky taste. I'd wager that most people wouldn't know the difference if they weren't told.

I'd sub in tamari for soy sauce in that recipe, though. The difference may be slight, but I think it's noticeable.

Hm? Tamari is a kind of soy sauce. It's what they usually have in Americanized Chinese restaurants and major grocery stores, and has a strong flavor. I'd assume that's what the recipe would be calling for. Shoyu is the other major kind and has a subtle flavor, used more to accent other flavors in a dish, but isn't as well-known outside of Japan.

Surfinn

Just went vegan a little over a month ago (my GF has been vegan for 5-6 months). Wow, can't believe how inexpensive it is when you're actually cooking your own food, and basic veggies are relatively cheap.

Me and my GF calculated out how much it would cost to produce one bowl of this awesome veggie soup we made and it came in well under a dollar. We made like 8-10 bowls out of one pot.

Only thing that sucks is the amount of time spent in the kitchen (but it's well worth the sacrifice). I've never cooked before but I'm learning a lot from my GF who loves it.

Makes it easy to switch when there are virtually no negatives about veganism and HUGE returns for personal and social gain.

Anyone read How Not to Die yet? Awesome book with like almost 200 sources; my GF is reading it now and from what I've read, it seems absolutely fantastic.

Subscribed to this thread.

yonder

Just went vegan a little over a month ago (my GF has been vegan for 5-6 months). Wow, can't believe how inexpensive it is when you're actually cooking your own food, and basic veggies are relatively cheap.

Me and my GF calculated out how much it would cost to produce one bowl of this awesome veggie soup we made and it came in well under a dollar. We made like 8-10 bowls out of one pot.

Only thing that sucks is that you can spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I've never cooked before but I'm learning a lot from my GF who loves it.

Makes it easy to switch when there are virtually no negatives about veganism and HUGE returns for personal and social gain.

Anyone read How Not to Die yet? Awesome book with like almost 200 sources; my GF is reading it now and from what I've read, it seems absolutely fantastic.

Welcome! :D I just finished that book recently and really liked it. As you might be aware, the guy who wrote it has an awesome site/youtube-page called nutritionfacts.org that covers nutritional science, frequently tied to plant-based diets.

Surfinn

Welcome! :D I just finished that book recently and really liked it. As you might be aware, the guy who wrote it has an awesome site/youtube-page called nutritionfacts.org that covers nutritional science, frequently tied to plant-based diets.

Thank you. :) My GF and I watch his daily videos all the time, and get caught up if we've missed some. Can't believe his level of dedication, simply astonishing.

We are also attending this event he's speaking at and plan to get her book signed by Dr. Greger. I think it's in like two weeks.

Only thing that sucks is the amount of time spent in the kitchen (but it's well worth the sacrifice). I've never cooked before but I'm learning a lot from my GF who loves it.

Welcome, and just try to not see being in the kitchen as a chore but a joy to spend some quality time with your partner. I love cooking both by myself or in tandem.

Hm? Tamari is a kind of soy sauce. It's what they usually have in Americanized Chinese restaurants and major grocery stores, and has a strong flavor. I'd assume that's what the recipe would be calling for. Shoyu is the other major kind and has a subtle flavor, used more to accent other flavors in a dish, but isn't as well-known outside of Japan.

I was pretty baffled by this, until I Googled it. Turns out that, at least in North America (according to the amazing Nava Atlas):

What we buy as tamari (or in some instances labeled shoyu-tamari) is actually what is known in Japan as shoyu.

I knew I wasn't a super-taster or anything, but I didn't think that my taste buds were so crappy that I couldn't tell the difference between soy sauce and tamari! Or, as it turns out, soy sauce and shoyu.

I was pretty baffled by this, until I Googled it. Turns out that, at least in North America (according to the amazing Nava Atlas):

I knew I wasn't a super-taster or anything, but I didn't think that my taste buds were so crappy that I couldn't tell the difference between soy sauce and tamari! Or, as it turns out, soy sauce and shoyu.

Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware (or had forgotten) that shoyu is just the Japanese word for 'soy sauce'. I was referring to true tamari soy sauce (miso-based), not the fake stuff. I use Eden brand tamari and shoyu sauces because they are imported from Japan – I believe they are rebranded Ohsawa – and their Tamari AFAIK uses the "true" process. The taste of their soy sauces are miles above the "tamari" sauces you can find in the major non-Whole Foods grocery stores. (I generally try to avoid Eden though since it came out that the owner is trying to deny employee healthcare coverage for birth control because he is anti-abortion. A shame because the company provides one of the most affordable way of finding organic, high-quality Japanese food ingredients sourced from Japan)

Shoyu_Nov12.jpg

wildbite

Hi vegans, I'm making the change from vegetarian to vegan today. I've been a vegetarian for almost 10 years but always enjoyed milk and cheese. I'd have eggs on occasion. The change was sparked because I saw many videos on YouTube about how poorly animals are treated even when it comes to dairy.

The biggest challenge for me will be not losing weight. I have always been thin and last year I was able to get my weight up from 124lb to 139lb. I'm between 5 foot 11 and 6 feet tall so I have always looked underweight.

Over the last few months my weight has dipped down to 135lb. I have to work hard again to increase it while I start getting back into the gym. My goal would be to get around 145lb and then keep going up.

I'm looking forward to learning more and recently subscribed to a bunch of vegan podcasts. Cheers!

Pinkuss

Welcome; I put it off the change for years because of my love of cheese (well pizza); I probably eat more pizza now than I did pre Vegan though (and not always with fake cheese).

I suggest joining some Vegan Facebook groups if you ever struggle to fathom out if something is fine; there's usually someone on who will answer quickly (and after 10 years I and others can scan a list of ingredients in seconds :D)

Weight loss is a real issue. I lost some weight when I started out. It's levelled off now but it takes some getting used to.
It's incredible just how much food I can eat without it being reflected on the scales. Veggies are not only delicious but also not particularly fattening. :p

I'm thinking about going vegan from vegetarian and I also have the weight issue. As I've mentioned before here I'm in Japan which means I don't have access to as many options as elsewhere. I also have BDS so a lot of foods are a no go too :(

Another issue is my gf. We recently started living together and she is happy to have a meat-free home though she eats meat when she goes out for lunch at work etc. She even said she would be willing to raise kids as vegetarians in future. I have to appreciate her compromises for me, but ideologically she has no problem whatsoever with meat and she basically said she would probably have to rethink our relationship if I went vegan as it would limit the extent of the cooking we could do beyond what she is prepared to accept. Anyone got experience in this regard?

Another issue is my gf. We recently started living together and she is happy to have a meat-free home though she eats meat when she goes out for lunch at work etc. She even said she would be willing to raise kids as vegetarians in future. I have to appreciate her compromises for me, but ideologically she has no problem whatsoever with meat and she basically said she would probably have to rethink our relationship if I went vegan as it would limit the extent of the cooking we could do beyond what she is prepared to accept. Anyone got experience in this regard?

This sounds like our situation exactly.
My (now) wife is an omnivore when she goes out with friends or wherever else. But at home she is a happy vegan with me.
It used to be she was a happy vegetarian with me at home. And can I tell you she was not amused when I told her that I was going vegan. But it really only took a couple of weeks at most of delicious vegan cooking at home to convince her it made no discernible difference in how or what we ate.

yonder

The biggest challenge for me will be not losing weight. I have always been thin and last year I was able to get my weight up from 124lb to 139lb. I'm between 5 foot 11 and 6 feet tall so I have always looked underweight.

Over the last few months my weight has dipped down to 135lb. I have to work hard again to increase it while I start getting back into the gym. My goal would be to get around 145lb and then keep going up.

Welcome! Peanut butter and other nut butters are a very dense and delicious calorie source that you could eat more of. Dates are pretty calorie dense too. Try dipping dates in nut butter and you have an awesome snack.

I'm thinking about going vegan from vegetarian and I also have the weight issue. As I've mentioned before here I'm in Japan which means I don't have access to as many options as elsewhere. I also have BDS so a lot of foods are a no go too :(

This sounds like our situation exactly.
My (now) wife is an omnivore when she goes out with friends or wherever else. But at home she is a happy vegan with me.
It used to be she was a happy vegetarian with me at home. And can I tell you she was not amused when I told her that I was going vegan. But it really only took a couple of weeks at most of delicious vegan cooking at home to convince her it made no discernible difference in how or what we ate.
My situation is fairly similar. My gf is an omnivore and was very skeptical of my going vegan, especially since we love to cook together, but after a while it wasn't a big deal at all and she now finds new recipes for us to try :) There is still some tension, however, since I've only been vegan for about nine months now. She gets self-conscious about eating animal products around me and seems to think that I think she's a bad person for doing it despite me telling her otherwise many times. I think she feels judged and uncomfortable with her beliefs. I actually try not to talk about veganism at all unless she brings it up or it's necessary for the conversation. It would be nice if she ever decided to go vegan, but I honestly don't think she ever will and I can accept that, even though it makes me a bit sad.

derFeef

Welcome! Peanut butter and other nut butters are a very dense and delicious calorie source that you could eat more of. Dates are pretty calorie dense too. Try dipping dates in nut butter and you have an awesome snack.

I will have to try this too, I lost about 7kg since I went vegan and I alwas was underweight. So I am very tall and slender and the "jokes" are not getting better, especially since people know I am vegan ;) I read up on weigth gain but I don't want to mess up my body or system, I also have to look out for my heart since I have some problems there... it's not easy!

I went to an organ market today for lunch and got myself a vegan sandwich and some vegan cookies just to try it out.

Man I am shocked.... The bread is so fluffy the vegan mayonnaise was really good too. A bunch of different ingredients and other standard stuff in the sandwich, some things that I can't but my mind on but it blended overly well.

I may and go buy that sandwich for most lunches now. I also cook a lot at home so I am glad this thread exist to look through some recipes and suggestions. :)

I went to an organ market today for lunch and got myself a vegan sandwich and some vegan cookies just to try it out.

Man I am shocked.... The bread is so fluffy the vegan mayonnaise was really good too. A bunch of different ingredients and other standard stuff in the sandwich, some things that I can't but my mind on but it blended overly well.

I may and go buy that sandwich for most lunches now. I also cook a lot at home so I am glad this thread exist to look through some recipes and suggestions. :)

Glad to hear you got a nice food experience and got to try some decent vegan food. Turning vegan made me expand in new ways with preparing food and finding new types of food to cook and eat. It is a treat if you like making food yourself as you are encouraged to experiment a lot.

Hi vegans, I'm making the change from vegetarian to vegan today. I've been a vegetarian for almost 10 years but always enjoyed milk and cheese. I'd have eggs on occasion. The change was sparked because I saw many videos on YouTube about how poorly animals are treated even when it comes to dairy.

I'm looking forward to learning more and recently subscribed to a bunch of vegan podcasts. Cheers!

I find this interesting because I struggle more with gaining weight while as a vegan. Substituting stuff made me eat a lot more grains and bread. Carb addiction can be a bad thing :p. I think eating a lot og grains and legumes regularly should keep the weight more stable, the more refined the better but of course that is not something everyone would like to do if they want to be healthy.

Your gf is okay with you being vegetarian but not vegan? Do you cook mostly Japanese cuisine at home, or all types? Because outside of tempura, I didn't think there was much dairy used in Japanese cooking. I would've thought the no-fish rule would be way tougher to overcome. Has she had much vegan food before? Maybe you could take her out to some places and let her see the possibilities. I'm seriously impressed at the amount of vegan-friendly restaurants in Tokyo now. There was a small fraction of this amount when I looked a few years ago.

Your gf is okay with you being vegetarian but not vegan? Do you cook mostly Japanese cuisine at home, or all types? Because outside of tempura, I didn't think there was much dairy used in Japanese cooking. I would've thought the no-fish rule would be way tougher to overcome. Has she had much vegan food before? Maybe you could take her out to some places and let her see the possibilities. I'm seriously impressed at the amount of vegan-friendly restaurants in Tokyo now. There was a small fraction of this amount when I looked a few years ago.
We cook all kinds of food at home, she lived abroad for many years and has a whole bunch of English language recipe books etc. She really loves to cook and though she says she realizes that it is possible to have an interesting and varied diet without meat, she thinks cutting out egg and dairy as well would be giving up just a little too much.

Not using fish at home is easy, you just use a different kind of stock. Eating out is great when you have a place in mind, like somewhere on Happy cow - but try being vegan and eating out with colleagues or visiting friends...

We cook all kinds of food at home, she lived abroad for many years and has a whole bunch of English language recipe books etc. She really loves to cook and though she says she realizes that it is possible to have an interesting and varied diet without meat, she thinks cutting out egg and dairy as well would be giving up just a little too much.

I see. It's a little surprising to me that vegan is a dealbreaker on a relationship, but I guess everyone has their line they won't cross. I won't date a meat-eater for instance, but I will date vegetarians.

I see. It's a little surprising to me that vegan is a dealbreaker on a relationship, but I guess everyone has their line they won't cross. I won't date a meat-eater for instance, but I will date vegetarians.

There is so much more hostility and false information going around in regards to veganism.

I think in her mind, the idea of having to give up yet another wide range of ingredients in her cooking, and making it even more difficult to find something to eat in a new part of town, could be a dealbreaker. Perhaps I can convince her otherwise if I up my cooking game (I often don't get home from work until after 9pm however so I'll have to make a lot of stuff in advance). Not much I can do about the eating out thing except never leave the house without a specific restaurant in mind (this is literally the worst thing about Japan - when the one vegetarian friendly place in a 2 mile radius has an irregular holiday and you are left wandering the streets with an empty stomach!)

Famassu

I think in her mind, the idea of having to give up yet another wide range of ingredients in her cooking, and making it even more difficult to find something to eat in a new part of town, could be a dealbreaker. Perhaps I can convince her otherwise if I up my cooking game (I often don't get home from work until after 9pm however so I'll have to make a lot of stuff in advance). Not much I can do about the eating out thing except never leave the house without a specific restaurant in mind (this is literally the worst thing about Japan - when the one vegetarian friendly place in a 2 mile radius has an irregular holiday and you are left wandering the streets with an empty stomach!)
Giving up eggs shouldn't be too problematic for a vegan. I mean:

-you can emulate the taste (& smell...) of eggs pretty perfectly with black salt/kala namak
-firm & not-firm tofu can be used in a lot of cooking to replace egg in different ways
-aquafaba (the cooking water of chickpeas & other legumes) is something that can be used in different kinds of cooking & baking (mayo, sponge cakes etc.) in place of (whipped) egg to get some pretty good results
-you can even make a kind of vegan omelet or scrambled "eggs" from chickpea/gram flour and tofu

And other than the kind of perfect-for-pizza cheese that melts just right, I don't think ditching dairy should be all that problematic either. There's non-dairy milk, cream, yoghurt, ice cream etc. and some vegan cheeses that can be pretty decent if you don't have to melt it on top of things like pizza (so used as slices as a bread filling, in hamburgers, even in sauces). And even then, I've read about some self-made vegan cheese recipes that might be good to emulate that stringy melted cheese for pizza, but I haven't had the time to test them yet. You can also somewhat emulate cheese's taste with nutritional yeast too. You can, for example, make a kind of parmesan powder with it and just using it as is can add a bit of a cheesy taste to things.

Giving up eggs shouldn't be too problematic for a vegan. I mean:

-you can emulate the taste (& smell...) of eggs pretty perfectly with black salt/kala namak
-firm & not-firm tofu can be used in a lot of cooking to replace egg in different ways
-aquafaba (the cooking water of chickpeas & other legumes) is something that can be used in different kinds of cooking & baking (mayo, sponge cakes etc.) in place of (whipped) egg to get some pretty good results
-you can even make a kind of vegan omelet or scrambled "eggs" from chickpea/gram flour and tofu

And other than the kind of perfect-for-pizza cheese that melts just right, I don't think ditching dairy should be all that problematic either. There's non-dairy milk, cream, yoghurt, ice cream etc. and some vegan cheeses that can be pretty decent if you don't have to melt it on top of things like pizza (so used as slices as a bread filling, in hamburgers, even in sauces). And even then, I've read about some self-made vegan cheese recipes that might be good to emulate that stringy melted cheese for pizza, but I haven't had the time to test them yet. You can also somewhat emulate cheese's taste with nutritional yeast too. You can, for example, make a kind of parmesan powder with it and just using it as is can add a bit of a cheesy taste to things.
All great points. I could live with those alternatives when cooking at home, no problem.

But it is not so easy to ask someone else, someone who loves to cook and talks about how they are sad that they cannot continue the traditional recipes passed down to them by their now departed grandparents, someone who has agreed to raise any future kids in a meat- and fish-free household, to make the same "sacrifice". Apart from tofu, almost none of those things are available in shops in my country, which means importing from the US and other countries, doubling the price in the process, so it is a hard sell. Also, my gf says that while the vegan foods we eat in restaurants and I have made for her are delicious, they are 'not the same thing' as the original. Perhaps she means 'not as good', but I guess that is where we fundamentally differ. To me, taste isn't the only important factor; for her, it is pretty much the only relevant one (except cost and ease of procurement, I suppose).

Edit: Forgot to mention that stuff which doesn't need to have animal products in often does here. For example, it is almost impossible to find vegan bread in supermarkets.

derFeef

If someone loves to cook they should love to try out different things, no matter if it's vegan, raw, both, or something different. Do not aim to recreate and repalce things, think of it as inventing new tastes, flavoures and textures.

Gaaraz

Finding non-vegan bread is incredibly tricky. I really wouldn't worry about things like bread fwiw

Also, are you sure that black salt and tinned chickpeas aren't available in Japan? Also for what it's worth, bananas are a great egg alternative for baked goods and other sweet things (especially pancakes!) - or apple cider vinegar and baking soda does a great job too.

Top Bottom