• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

I looked all around for the new Ben and Jerry's dairy free/Vegan option and my area just doesn't seem to have it. Are there any specific retailers in the US you guys know to carry it? I really want to try it.

derFeef

My last two blood tests where fine all round. No supplements required. :)

Nice :)
My first blood test last year showed some small B12 deficiency, although I have been vegan only for a year or so. I must have not gotten enough of that. Hopefully my body can process oral taken B12, very curious about my next test this summer!

yonder

I dunno a regular test to see weather you are suffering from any malnutrition. It's nothing unusual, at least here in Germany.
I actually called my local clinic here in Sweden yesterday to schedule one of these, but they told me they couldn't unless I was feeling sick. Gonna have to try and find a private place that does it, I guess. I feel great, but it would be fun to see how my levels are, plus it could be useful when people ask me if I'm getting adequate nutrition.

MrT

My wife just told her GP she was vegan and wanted to make sure she was getting the right vitamins etc, and the GP took blood and sent it off. I had blood taken yesterday for unrelated reasons and asked about being checked for vitamin deficiencies, but the phlebotomist said she had no idea where to start and to ask the nurse when I go back for my checkup next week

Was a Holo-TC and/or MMA test made in conjunction? Only then a B12 test is really meaningful. Those tests usually cost something.

No idea, my father in law is my GP, so I just trust him to do his job. :p
And I eat tonnes of Marmite & co. so I B12 really shouldn't be an issue.

I looked all around for the new Ben and Jerry's dairy free/Vegan option and my area just doesn't seem to have it. Are there any specific retailers in the US you guys know to carry it? I really want to try it.

I know all Wegman's should definitely have them. Mine does. Although if you're not on the East Coast then this isn't very helpful :p

I got a blood test done recently for unrelated reasons and found out I was low in calcium. Trying to get all my nutrients from dining hall food has definitely been a struggle...

Kraftwerk

I think I am going to go vegan.

I had to stop eating meat and animal products for 6 months due to a health issue I was going through, and I was only eating vegan food and since I love milk, I was consuming almond milk.

I think those 6 months were the fittest and healthiest I have been in my life. I like eating meat, but I always feel heavy and bloated after, and just bad poops :p

I went to a vegan restaurant the other day, and had the soup and salad combo...just divine. So delicious and that was the only meal I had all day, and I just felt great all around.

Another fact is I also just have always had this guilt about eating meet in the back of my head.

wildbite

I had to stop eating meat and animal products for 6 months due to a health issue I was going through, and I was only eating vegan food and since I love milk, I was consuming almond milk.

I think those 6 months were the fittest and healthiest I have been in my life. I like eating meat, but I always feel heavy and bloated after, and just bad poops :p

I went to a vegan restaurant the other day, and had the soup and salad combo...just divine. So delicious and that was the only meal I had all day, and I just felt great all around.

Another fact is I also just have always had this guilt about eating meet in the back of my head.

It sounds like you already made your decision :) I'm vegan for one month now! I haven't had any problems substituting cheese for vegan cheese. I changed from ordering cheese pizza to pizza without cheese, artichokes, and broccoli.

I noticed my weight dropped but I didn't weigh myself before I went vegan. If I am 100% honest, I think my weight was dropping before I went vegan. Looking at my meals, which I track, I'm eating the best I ever have. My weight should go back up.

dude

dude

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the dark side we have
cruelty free
cookies!
;)

What do you guys eat on bread? I've been eating mostly avocado, sometimes some pesto, but I really feel like I'm missing some sort of variety. Any tips?

Pinkuss

Either fake meat (tofurky slices being amazing) or if going for something non processed, avocado, falafel, hummus/tahini, chilli, tomato, onion, hot sauce (salad optional).

I'm planning an American style massive 'Manwich' or whatever they're called soon with violife flavoured slices, tofurky, olives, jalapenos, various sauces etc.

One of my favourite sandwiches is Tofurkey-brand tempeh bacon with cashew cheese, tomatoes and lettuce. So good.

Also, vegan paté is usually pretty good with nice crusty bread.

dude

dude
You can marinade some tofu in soy sauce and rub and then simmer it on a pan until it's brown. Goes very well in a sandwich. You can also add Liquid Smoke to the marinade for extra deliciousness.

I eat it with some vegan mayo, mustard and vegetables.

Daigoro

What do you guys eat on bread? I've been eating mostly avocado, sometimes some pesto, but I really feel like I'm missing some sort of variety. Any tips?

tempeh reuben! PB and veggie bacon, hummus, marinated tofu, seitan, chickpea salad, vegan grilled cheese, etc. im sure there's more than a few recipes for this sort of thing in this thread already posted.

theres a bunch of recipes for banh mi sanwhiches that i havent tried yet, been meaning to...

Forgot to thank you guys for your advice about living with a non - veggie gf. We are on our way to a vegan buffet meetup event together right now so things are looking up there :)

Speaking of which I really recommend those kinds of events, especially if you live in an area where vegans and vegetarians are seriously in the minority.

derFeef

Again, look at that hot-dog, it's so good!.

xSwDTHF.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly the best vegan thing you can ever eat as a sandwich is...a salad.

Salad sandwiches are the best and come in a near infinite variety. Just season those veggies up real nice and stack 'em high.

Y'all are getting too fancy with your vegan sandwiches. A PB&J (especially toasted) is the best sandwich anyway... And it also happens to be vegan.

Nezumi

I just wanted to thank who ever it was who made me aware of the vegrecipesofindia blog. Been cooking stuff from the site for a week now, and everything was delicious. Was damn near impossible to get those Indian bay leaves here in Germany (had to important some from the UK) but now I'm all spiced up. Think I'm gonna make some dal tomorrow :)

Kinokou

Buy organic. They don't use antibiotics & in general should have the chicken in better conditions. At least they shouldn't, as then they shouldn't be able to label their chicken organic.

The same overuse of antibiotics is a problem with cattle as well, in addition to the vastly worse ecological effect.

I looked into organic chicken now, it isn't a better option for me. Even if their production has a positive effect on not contributing to the development of resistant bacteria they are found to carry the bacteria (infected either by parents, dosed in first day of life or cross contamination from conventional chicken on the way to slaughter/the store), which is enough to steer me away from ever preparing it myself. I assume pigs would have a similar situation.

I might let someone cook organic chicken for me though, just like I don't mind eggs in food as long as I did not have to touch the egg or any of the preparation tools. But I have to think about it a bit more.

I'll take care to buy more organic red meat now (at least until I hear something alarming about their condition over here too), I might skimp on some if they prove impossible to replace, but those are pretty rare meats to get hold of to being with so I don't indulge myself with them often. Maybe I'll even change my mind on them when the opportunity arises, I'll see then. I kind of hope I can resist, becoming a hypocrite on my number 1 reason to avoid meat would suck, but it's also hard imagining to never eat some types of meat again. There are even some kinds I haven't tried yet, but would love to and I have no clue about their conditions.

Thank you again for updating me on the workings of organic meat. I really appreciate it even if I will only implement parts of your advice.

MrT

Went to my local market on Saturday as they've started doing a "vegan quarter" there on the first Saturday of every month. Good job we got there early as it was mobbed, and I heard later pretty much all the vegan stalls were sold out in the first 3 hours, so next month there will be even more stalls and more stock brought. Was great to see so much interest.

Best find there was vegan "mheat" by a company called Sgaia. It's basically seitan, and their steak is amazing. For anyone in the uk they sell online and you can get subscription boxes from them. Needless to say I'm subscribing.

zaccheus

Banned
At the cafeteria at my work, they seldom have any vegetarian or vegan options to grab. Most of the time it's just chicken dishes or beef. Its pretty archaic. So I'm going to write up a comment to ask them if they could provide more options for those of us who are vegan/vegetarian. Do you guys know off the top of your heads any reasonable meals to prepare for vegetarians that a typical cafe could prepare?

Went to my local market on Saturday as they've started doing a "vegan quarter" there on the first Saturday of every month. Good job we got there early as it was mobbed, and I heard later pretty much all the vegan stalls were sold out in the first 3 hours, so next month there will be even more stalls and more stock brought. Was great to see so much interest.

Best find there was vegan "mheat" by a company called Sgaia. It's basically seitan, and their steak is amazing. For anyone in the uk they sell online and you can get subscription boxes from them. Needless to say I'm subscribing.

Cool, where was then then?

I really want to get into pickling. I love the picked vegetables they have at Korean restaurants.

Do any of you guys have any experience with making pickled vegetables at home?

Kinokou

Seems I have jumped onto the tofu train. I have been finding the block slabs of it to look a little intimidating, and trying it for the first time I found it a little bland despite being a curry variety. But right now I realized that I'm exited to have it for dinner again today.

So glad to see this vibrant community here!

Hello everyone. I'm looking for "low-sodium" recommendations for things to eat with plain white jasmine rice. I like Sriracha but I don't like it with rice. My diet is basically bread, pasta, rice, sweet potatoes, broccoli and bananas. And I love everything very much.

However sometimes I wanna do different rice dishes. Welcome to suggestions!

*by low sodium I would say around 600mg for 2 table spoons or so. (maybe?)

Daigoro

Seems I have jumped onto the tofu train. I have been finding the block slabs of it to look a little intimidating, and trying it for the first time I found it a little bland despite being a curry variety. But right now I realized that I'm exited to have it for dinner again today.

posted earlier in the thread (and those that ignored it -everyone?- are missing out!)

Marinated Baked Tofu:

12 Tofu (extra firm)- cut into slices 1/4-1/2" thick. pat gently to remove moisture.

marinade-
2 1/2 TBS Balsamic vinegar
2 TBS Tamari (soy sauce), or amino liquid (coconut, Bragg's etc)
1TBS maple syrup (you can even skip this or add a different sweetener and it will come out good)

coat both sides of tofu slices in the marinade, add the rest to the baking pan, bake uncovered at 375 for about 20 minutes. basically cook until the marinade is soaked/evaporated.

you can use the leftovers in a sandwich cold. or mash/puree and mix with seasonings, mustard, mayo, etc for a sandwich filling.

this recipe rocks. try it out guys (from my vegan cooking goddess Dreena Burton)

So glad to see this vibrant community here!

Hello everyone. I'm looking for "low-sodium" recommendations for things to eat with plain white jasmine rice. I like Sriracha but I don't like it with rice. My diet is basically bread, pasta, rice, sweet potatoes, broccoli and bananas. And I love everything very much.

However sometimes I wanna do different rice dishes. Welcome to suggestions!

*by low sodium I would say around 600mg for 2 table spoons or so. (maybe?)

2 TBS to go on the rice itself? how about a peanut sauce? ginger, garlic, tamari, PB, rice vinegar, agave or sugar, and a little sriracha, some water to thin it out.

ive been making one with curry powder in it recently that is insanely good. definitely my go to peanut sauce for now.

derFeef

My GF just bought herself a Vitamix (high performance blender), holy crap that thing is powerful! I got her Personal Blender - looking forward for some good recipes. Smoothies, spread, etc. :)

Bennettt2

I'm very interested in going Vegan. I just want to know whether the vegan meats that are available have preservatives or not. Or if there are any available without preservatives. Thx

MrT

Im really starting to love all the things you can do with tofu. I've been making salt and chilli tofu fairly often, and the other day my wife and I made some tofish and chips. Turned out remarkably well, although next time we'll probably only put the nori on one side rather than both. And definitely trying the beer batter option instead of the fizzy water.

Top Bottom