• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venture Bros. Season 6 |OT| - Sundays @ 12 on Adult Swim - Rusty takes Manhattan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
Taken quote isn't even close to the most dated reference in this season, I think Billy Quizboy failing to eat a cheeseburger while all doped up on god gas takes that prize.

Oh wow, I forgot all about that scene, but yeah. You can tell that some of the pop culture references this season were written awhile back, but wasn't that particular video from the late 00's? That cheeseburger joke would've been stale in S4.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Oh wow, I forgot all about that scene, but yeah. You can tell that some of the pop culture references this season were written awhile back, but wasn't that particular video from the late 00's? That cheeseburger joke would've been stale in S4.

2007, actually. It's still old but it's more of a pop-culture reference than anything.

Really enjoyed the season,
just can't believe that was our finale. Felt more like a midseason ramp up to a climax.
Can't complain too much, Venture Bros is a special entity I always greatly enjoy.

DarkKyo

One episode this season focused on a prop from an 80's music video... I don't think they are too concerned with how recent their pop culture references are.

Rymuth

Wait, I was reading the reviews and it hit me...THAT WAS THE FINALE?!??! It felt like a normal episode (a GREAT episode, mind you. Red Death was awesome)

Awww shucks :(

Wait, I was reading the reviews and it hit me...THAT WAS THE FINALE?!??! It felt like a normal episode (a GREAT episode, mind you. Red Death was awesome)

Awww shucks :(
Well it is a finale only in the sense that it's the final one in the episode order. I think there were supposed to be two more.

somedevil

As someone who knows nothing about TV ratings, is that good?

There's no chance it won't be renewed for a seventh season, right??

Those ratings are live viewership does not include DVR or other ways to watch. I don't know what Adult Swim expects from them. The show averaged more viewers then the last season of archer but never hit the highs of season 5.

Plus it seems 7th season is coming because they did a interview talking about how they are writing already and basically have the season finally written but not enough episodes to make it this season.

Zubz

Banned
As someone who knows nothing about TV ratings, is that good?

There's no chance it won't be renewed for a seventh season, right??

I mean, [adult swim] has made dumber decisions. However, between Doc & Jackson being very open that the actual Season 6 finale is scripted and the fact that the bumper before the season premiere said that the wait won't take as long "next time" (Implying they're expecting a Season 7, too) I think there's a pretty good chance we'll see another season down the road.

Those ratings would have been spectacular at prime time for [adult swim] (Or even [as]'s personal prime time of 11). To do that well at midnight proves that VB's got some kick left in it.

So I've finally caught up on this entire series. For as long as I've watched Adult Swim since it started it was always that one series I should be watching but for one reason or another I didn't. And maaaaaan, this show, this fucking show. I robbed myself out of happiness for not watching this any sooner. Season 6 is really freaking good so far, Blue Morpho is a fantastic addition. Cannot wait for more.

edit: what the fuck episode 8 was the finale jesus no

Just got to watch.

Fucking Finally! Hunter!

I didn't think we'd see him again; I thought they would have done more with Mal being in OSI but Brock moved back and they didn't follow up like I thought.

Hunter and Jefferson Twilight are my two favorite characters and we don't see them enough. Jefferson and the Alchemist are just forgotten.

I mean, [adult swim] has made dumber decisions. However, between Doc & Jackson being very open that the actual Season 6 finale is scripted and the fact that the bumper before the season premiere said that the wait won't take as long "next time" (Implying they're expecting a Season 7, too) I think there's a pretty good chance we'll see another season down the road.

Those ratings would have been spectacular at prime time for [adult swim] (Or even [as]'s personal prime time of 11). To do that well at midnight proves that VB's got some kick left in it.
Good post. That's why I'm not counting chickens.
So I've finally caught up on this entire series. For as long as I've watched Adult Swim since it started it was always that one series I should be watching but for one reason or another I didn't. And maaaaaan, this show, this fucking show. I robbed myself out of happiness for not watching this any sooner. Season 6 is really freaking good so far, Blue Morpho is a fantastic addition. Cannot wait for more.

edit: what the fuck episode 8 was the finale jesus no
I read your post like a rollercoaster. All I can say is... I'm sorry.

Musolf815

Adult Swim's website freaked me out with this headline:

Watch the Venture Bros. season finale! It's the last one you're getting.
(For Awhile)

Sapiens

I caved - bought that last brock shirt. My Dr Girlfriend shirt came yesterday (first shirt club buy ever) and Im super stoked about the packaging.

BNklK2MCUAAOQ7z.jpg

[not mine]

I got the All This and Gargantua-2 hoodie, and it was the same. Think it's just cheaper to buy them in bulk and use them every time.
Yep, I did too. I've done all three Shirt Clubs. SC1 were plain white envelopes (Doc & Jackson did that one themselves, they'd personally respond to support emails! It was awesome!). SC2 / Gargantia / SC3 all used the above envelope.

Musolf815

Closest thing to a s7 confirmation we've gotten! Awesome (and sorry).

No worries, my relief waay overwhelms the fear reading that headline. We'll probably hear for sure when the DVD comes out and they have to announce Season 7 after Jackson and Doc talk about it on the commentary (at least that's what happened with the Season 5 + 6 order).

Peco

Yeah no kidding.

Honestly think I'm done with this show. I'm usually a quality over quantity kinda guy but 70 episodes over 12 years is fucking ridiculous.

I genuinely don't understand why some of you guys keep saying this. Show is great, isn't that enough?

morningbus

Yeah no kidding.

Honestly think I'm done with this show. I'm usually a quality over quantity kinda guy but 70 episodes over 12 years is fucking ridiculous.

What a bizarre sentiment. Is this the ultimate result of binge-watching culture that values availability more than quality?

You don't have to be active with the show, or something. It's not required that you keep Venture Bros in a specific part of your brain at all times. Watch it when it comes on, watch something else when it's gone.

vypek

I believe the sentiment comes from the fact that people would prefer great shows that are consistent in their airings. With a show like VB it is probably that people forget some of the more subtle stuff that occurs in the show that could mean actually remembering storylines going on. Having a show gone for a few years and coming back, its harder to remember what is going on. VB is great but it would be better if the show aired with some kind of regular cycle.

That is my take on it at least. Personally, I have taken to watching the reruns a lot or reading up to refresh my memory before new episodes come back. And I do think it would be nice if they got to have longer seasons anyways, especially if there are circumstances that prevent us from seeing a new season for a while.

morningbus

I believe the sentiment comes from the fact that people would prefer great shows that are consistent in their airings. With a show like VB it is probably that people forget some of the more subtle stuff that occurs in the show that could mean actually remembering storylines going on. Having a show gone for a few years and coming back, its harder to remember what is going on. VB is great but it would be better if the show aired with some kind of regular cycle.

That is my take on it at least. Personally, I have taken to watching the reruns a lot or reading up to refresh my memory before new episodes come back. And I do think it would be nice if they got to have longer seasons anyways, especially if there are circumstances that prevent us from seeing a new season for a while.

Oh yeah, I definitely understand why it's annoying. I mean, I'm affected by it, too. The part I don't understand, though, is that the person is forcing a take-it-or-leave-it choice upon themselves with something they enjoy. The other option exists: take it as it comes. The show is still enjoyable even without catching every deep-cut reference and in terms of continuity they will generally remind you of status quos in the show or release a video at the beginning that catches you up, like this most recent season.

Sapiens

Yeah no kidding.

I think this is a mindset that deserves ridicule, but whatever, do what you want.

Sesha

Can't wait until the proper season finale/season 7 opener in February 2018.

Meanwhile, I just stumbled upon this YouTube comment regarding Kim (Triana's aspiring super-villainess turned preppy born-again Christian friend): "She finds religion and is born-again.

The show's writers did this to troll the audience, because they kept being bothered about her."

Fandoms, always gotta ruin a good thing. Perfect move by Hammer and Publick, though.

vypek

Can't wait until the proper season finale/season 7 opener in February 2018.

Meanwhile, I just stumbled upon this YouTube comment regarding Kim (Triana's aspiring super-villainess turned preppy born-again Christian): "She finds religion and is born-again.

The show's writers did this to troll the audience, because they kept being bothered about her."

Fandoms, always gotta ruin a good thing. Perfect move by Hammer and Publick, though.

I think they also joked about killing Dr. Mrs. when a fan said she was her favorite character. They considered killing her because they weren't doing much with her at the time.

kirblar

Wasn't the issue with Triana that she was the GF of one of the guys and they broke up, making future appearances awkward?

vypek

Wasn't the issue with Triana that she was the GF of one of the guys and they broke up, making future appearances awkward?

Triana was only dating like a 4th tier character. Dean liked her and had his own illusion about their relationship. He eventually lets that go though. I think it is around the time that she moves out from her fathers place to hone her gift. I don't think she ever NEEDS to show up again but she might.

kirblar

Triana was only dating like a 4th tier character. Dean liked her and had his own illusion about their relationship. He eventually lets that go though. I think it is around the time that she moves out from her fathers place to hone her gift. I don't think she ever NEEDS to show up again but she might.
No, no, I mean IRL- she was either Jackson or Publick's GF.

Pein

Banned
she was married to doc but I don't think thats the point anyway, not even orpheus was around this time so I think it would be hard to make time for trianna.

She's off doing magic and having a boyfriend and deen is just being super boring. I hope she shows up when he's made some progress.

morningbus

Yeah, Triana has appeared post-real-life break-up in a couple of episodes, so it's probably just a direction they decided to go.

Sesha

Triana was just kind of "there", after a while. I'm glad they've put the character aside. Though Dean had less to do (no pun intended) as a result.

I hope Dean has more to do next season. Like Hank with Dermott and now Sirena, he needs someone recurring other than his brother to play off of. If he's going to stick around he needs more to do.

Just to clarify, I was talking about Kim.

Can't believe I forgot to write "friend" in my previous post.

Luigi87

she was married to doc but I don't think thats the point anyway, not even orpheus was around this time so I think it would be hard to make time for trianna.

She's off doing magic and having a boyfriend and deen is just being super boring. I hope she shows up when he's made some progress.

... I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it.
An entire season of no Orpheus and the Triad @_@

Dimmle

What an incredible season. Season 6 may be my favorite VB season since 2, definitely since 4.

I've honestly grown to love Venture Bros.' inconsistent airings. It's this thing I hold extremely dear to my heart that I actually go months without thinking about and when I hear about a season or special premiere all those good vibes come flooding back. It's always a great surprise.

Also, I'll tolerate no complaints about this season unless that complaint is "where is Orpheus?"

No, seriously, where is he

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Ugh, I am doomed to never being able to buy the cool shirts I want. Anyways, posting it here because I think it's a rad shirt and I'm sure someone would like it. Also because the Guild has the best name and the best logo.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Look what news I found:

Inverse: 'Archer' Is Stealing The Composer From 'Venture Brothers' For Its LA Reboot
It’s got those elements to me, and it’s moving all over the place. On both shows you have the opportunity to turn the universe on its head because it is drawings instead of live action — you can go anywhere. And the music does that same thing. Venture has called me to do things that have been atypical. In the last season we were doing Gotham Underground and Greek Islands and Outer Space. That’s developed and fleshed out as it’s come along. Volume 2 of the soundtrack is coming out in June on vinyl and CD and digital, which is very exciting. It’s easy to see that expansion when they’re all collected.

This is the first I heard about this, and I don't see mention of it in the thread from a couple searches. It's already up for preorder on Amazon however. I know I'll be picking that up.

Did the first soundtrack ever come out in vinyl?
I don't think so. Am I crazy or was the first CD bundled with one of the season sets? I can't remember if I own it!

EDIT: And now that I'm thinking of it more, I think the first album DID come out on vinyl. In fact, I remember a whole thing with the vinyl not having all the tracks but there was a way to get them if you bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom