• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermit7

Just ordered the Droid X off Amazon. My first time going through them, but they have some fantastic deals.

I have played with one before and really enjoyed it so I am excited. I am moving from one hell of a shitty phone so it is going to be great.

hermit7 said:
Just ordered the Droid X off Amazon. My first time going through them, but they have some fantastic deals.

Yeah, holy shit, $80 for this phone with a service plan? I need to figure out how to get this deal and link it in to my family's (sister, brother in law, mom) plan.

is there a quick windows program that will root your droid x?
im on froyo. thanks in advance. im going on a trip with family and would like to use the wireless tether function.

Aselith

Got one of these babies on it's way to me. My first smartphone, too. I'd have it hand but fucked ass UPS forgot to pull it from the facility for delivery for 2 days in a row now.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I've been having a ton of issues lately with my X. About once a day it locks up or slows down (like it'll pause on one letter when I'm in the middle of typing an MMS). The only way I can fix this is to pull my battery and reset. This is disappointing since I haven't even had the phone for 4 months. I'd consider taking it to Verizon but at some point the screen got a crack in it, so I worry that even if the phone is messed up for some reason OTHER than this they won't do anything for me. Do any of you have any ideas why it would do this? Anyone have similar issues?

I'm planning to get a new phone, and I'm thinking about the Droid X. I like the look of the specs, and the reviews on Verizon's site were glowing. However, the Gizmondo review was a little troubling (Still reading some others).

So, I was wondering what you guys thought of it. Have the post launch upgrades made it better? Does it run smoothly? How are the apps? I plan to go check it out myself in the next couple of days, but I'd value some input from GAF.

My last smart phone was the G1, which I loved.

Oozer3993

crowphoenix said:
I'm planning to get a new phone, and I'm thinking about the Droid X. I like the look of the specs, and the reviews on Verizon's site were glowing. However, the Gizmondo review was a little troubling (Still reading some others).

So, I was wondering what you guys thought of it. Have the post launch upgrades made it better? Does it run smoothly? How are the apps? I plan to go check it out myself in the next couple of days, but I'd value some input from GAF.

My last smart phone was the G1, which I loved.

I love my X. The update to Froyo cleared up much of the stuttering in the phone. It's been very smooth since then. There's a great app for just about anything on the Android Market.

womp

oatmeal said:
Is it safe to update to Froyo yet?

My wife has had her Droid X since launch and I want to update it.
Are you serious? Do it immediately.

And CrowPhoenix - Always bet on X. It is a fantastic phone that has only gotten better. Motorola's stock Blur BS is horrible but it is easily fixed and what you have left is the best phone on Verizon bar none.

Alucrid

Banned
Does anyone elses headphone jack suck? Mine is starting to cut out if the headphone connector is moved a little bit while it's in there. And no, it's not the headphones, they work fine on my iPod.

Blader

I'm ignorant on all things smartphones, is there some great advantage that Droid X has over Incredible?

I'm looking to get one of the two, and the latter is about 70 bucks cheaper.

So...when is Droid X2 coming out? I was going to upgrade my Droid I got in August....but then I didn't want to feel bullshitted when a newer model came out.

womp

EraldoCoil said:
I just got my X about two weeks ago. What update are u guys talking about, sorry if this is a stupid question.

2.2.1 just dropped the other night.

Go to About Phone and check for updates, you should be prompted to install the update.

Blader5489 said:
I'm ignorant on all things smartphones, is there some great advantage that Droid X has over Incredible?

I'm looking to get one of the two, and the latter is about 70 bucks cheaper.

Personal preference really. However the screen is bigger, it's faster, has the best digital keyboard on an Android device and just a more solidly constructed phone.

The panoramic camera is freaking cool as hell too.

Out of the box Motorola's Blur UI is a total piece of shit compared to HTC's Sense UI on the Incredible, however, both can be neutered and made your own.

To me? The X cannot be beat and the Incredible is on it's way out soon to make room for newer updated devices from HTC themselves.

Either way you can't lose because both are great phones but checking them out in person is the best thing to do.

Futureman

EVERYONE listen to womp. Root your phone and install the custom ROM called Fission. Check out the topic here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=839246

If you donate, you get the latest version, version 2.3.1.

It's stock Android for your Droid X. The only thing that isn't stock is the Gallery, Music, and Camera apps. They are the Moto versions, I guess these were giving them trouble, so they just used the Moto ones.

Everything is much smoother and just STOCK. Oh yea! Before, if you added an icon to the homescreen, if you selected the Applications folder, it would take like 3 seconds for it to load all your apps. With Fission, it's instant. Under settings, if you go to Manage Applications, it would seriously take about 10 seconds on the Moto build of Froyo to load everything and load all the icons. Fission is closer to instant. Little things you'll notice like this all over the place makes your Droid X just that much nicer.

Futureman

TacticalFox88 said:
So...when is Droid X2 coming out? I was going to upgrade my Droid I got in August....but then I didn't want to feel bullshitted when a newer model came out.

The Motorola Olympus I guess looks like the Droid X2. It's supposed to come to AT&T in January, and later to Verizon (it's called Eden on Verizon). These names are code names pretty sure, but it looks like the X2 to me.

Supposed to have Tegra 2:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/29/motorola-olympus-hitting-atandt-in-december-or-january-says-now/

Thaedolus

Futureman said:
EVERYONE listen to womp. Root your phone and install the custom ROM called Fission. Check out the topic here:

It's stock Android for your Droid X. The only thing that isn't stock is the Gallery, Music, and Camera apps. They are the Moto versions, I guess these were giving them trouble, so they just used the Moto ones.

Everything is much smoother and just STOCK. Oh yea! Before, if you added an icon to the homescreen, if you selected the Applications folder, it would take like 3 seconds for it to load all your apps. With Fission, it's instant. Under settings, if you go to Manage Applications, it would seriously take about 10 seconds on the Moto build of Froyo to load everything and load all the icons. Fission is closer to instant. Little things you'll notice like this all over the place makes your Droid X just that much nicer.

I would go ahead and do this, but the link to the one click root on their site looks dead...and will it still work if I just updated to the latest OTA update from today?

NH Apache

Banned
Thaedolus said:
I would go ahead and do this, but the link to the one click root on their site looks dead...and will it still work if I just updated to the latest OTA update from today?

I would also like to update to a custom rom, but I have to ask 2 quick questions:

1. I currently have root. Do I need to unroot before I install the latest update? (2.3.340?) It has failed once already and I don't want to push it.

2. Anyone else have a say on their favorite current custom rom?

Edit: I love everything about the X. The only thing I wish the X had was touch buttons instead of physical.

womp

Futureman said:

Nope, all that stuff works fine. You can get the gallery right from the Manager itself even, however it was installed by default for me.

Here is the Moto Camera:

http://www.mediafire.com/?rpp10mfj013slpz

And the fix for the panorama:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2f43jj8vfkkj0dl

Dunno if you need both or not (If the fix is OK alone) but just jump into bootstrap recovery and install zip file for each for a guaranteed win.

The camera was the only Moto thing I wanted, the rest is straight stock Google. ;)

womp

Thaedolus said:

Use Z4Root...

http://www.mediafire.com/?caow1a5twatdhwj

Takes less than 2 min with a one click root solution. If it seems to be hung at the initial step, reboot the phone and try again. Make sure the phone is also set to USB debugging in the Applications - Development menu.

NH Apache said:
I would also like to update to a custom rom, but I have to ask 2 quick questions:

1. I currently have root. Do I need to unroot before I install the latest update? (2.3.340?) It has failed once already and I don't want to push it.

Edit: I love everything about the X. The only thing I wish the X had was touch buttons instead of physical.

1. Nope, being rooted or unrooted has nothing to do with it. How did .340 fail for you? Be sure if you are on an older SBF to go upwards accordingly. .340 needs .320 to be installed first.

2. Fission. :)

Having owned the original Droid, the touch buttons were the single one thing I hated about it. They were too easy to hit and with zero resistance. The hard buttons on the X are a godsend in that respect!

NH Apache

Banned
womp said:
Use Z4Root...

http://www.mediafire.com/?caow1a5twatdhwj

Takes less than 2 min with a one click root solution. If it seems to be hung at the initial step, reboot the phone and try again. Make sure the phone is also set to USB debugging in the Applications - Development menu.

1. Nope, being rooted or unrooted has nothing to do with it. How did .340 fail for you? Be sure if you are on an older SBF to go upwards accordingly. .340 needs .320 to be installed first.

2. Fission. :)

Having owned the original Droid, the touch buttons were the single one thing I hated about it. They were too easy to hit and with zero resistance. The hard buttons on the X are a godsend in that respect!

Thanks. Just read up on sbf. Restored to the current stock 2.3.15.MB810.Versizon.en.US. It seems I had deleted some of the bloatware and the update has a built-in check (sigh). Only took me a couple 2 hours to figure out how to bypass that.

Now that I has a deep understanding for SBF, time to look into Fission.

Fake edit: update is a go!

does anyone know why i can't root my new Droid X? i'm trying to use silentkiller's rooting tool and even tried to use z4 but it always hangs on "waiting for device" during the rooting.

i am really stupid and this is my first smart phone. honestly i don't even know why i'm rooting it but it sounds cool so

blame space said:
does anyone know why i can't root my new Droid X? i'm trying to use silentkiller's rooting tool and even tried to use z4 but it always hangs on "waiting for device" during the rooting.

i am really stupid and this is my first smart phone. honestly i don't even know why i'm rooting it but it sounds cool so
Uninstall Z4.
Battery Pull.
Install Z4.
Battery Pull.
Root w/Z4.
Auto Reboot.

Worked for me.

womp

RJNavarrete said:
Uninstall Z4.
Battery Pull.
Install Z4.
Battery Pull.
Root w/Z4.
Auto Reboot.

Worked for me.

You shouldn't need to uninstall Z4, a reboot will work fine if it is stuck at the initial 'running' step. Which has happened to me on all three X's in my family when I went to root them. :)

ok i can get the temporary root applied with Z4 but then when i go to use silentkill's program is always gets stuck right here:

u5A8q.png

hermit7

NH Apache said:

You can just use z4root again after updating. It is what I did.

NH Apache

Banned
hermit7 said:
You can just use z4root again after updating. It is what I did.

Yup. Running fission now with adw launcher. Pretty fast.

When I had a blackberry, it was crazy easy to make backups when plugged into my computer. I use Titanium to maintain app backups and such on the sd card, but is there a way to make backups to pc directly (using droid explorer maybe)?

womp said:
And CrowPhoenix - Always bet on X. It is a fantastic phone that has only gotten better. Motorola's stock Blur BS is horrible but it is easily fixed and what you have left is the best phone on Verizon bar none.
Thanks, man. Definitely leaning towards it. The only phone that seemed comparable was the iPhone, and I really didn't want to go to AT&T (I have T-Mobile now). But what's this Blur business? Is that what Futureman is talking about?

womp

NH Apache said:
Yup. Running fission now with adw launcher. Pretty fast.

When I had a blackberry, it was crazy easy to make backups when plugged into my computer. I use Titanium to maintain app backups and such on the sd card, but is there a way to make backups to pc directly (using droid explorer maybe)?

Since you are rooted...

Download the Bootstrapper app, reboot into recovery and you can make a complete and total straight backup Nandroid 'image' of your current setup. It will save it onto the SD card. At any time you can then reboot back into said recovery and restore the file if you want.

Oh and, LaucherPro is much faster. ;)

crowphoenix said:
Thanks, man. Definitely leaning towards it. The only phone that seemed comparable was the iPhone, and I really didn't want to go to AT&T (I have T-Mobile now). But what's this Blur business? Is that what Futureman is talking about?

Blur is Motorola's little UI 'enhancements' that look like total ass and don't really improve on anything. The only one I care for on the X out of the box is the redone dialer with the Nuance voice commands which seem slicker and more accurate than the Google stuff. Companies like Motorola, Samsung and HTC put their own embellishments over top vanilla Android to help differ their phones from each other to help sell them better. For the most part all it does is piss off the hard core Android fanbase who don't want them.

And why would you want a boring old iPhone? You have seen the stuff people are doing in the Android customization thread right? Widgets alone are a huge bonus but one thing that makes Android superior is that no single person's phone is alike. It truly becomes your own after a day with it. :)

It still blows my mind that one of the big updates in iOS 4 was wallpaper. Yeeeahhh.

womp

Something compelled me to try that new Tranquility ROM.

It almost destroyed my phone. Easily the worst piece of shit I have ever encountered.

Be warned.

Back to Fission.

Hey guys,

I really don't know anything about this stuff but I'm trying to learn. I downloaded the Z4 application but I have no idea what to do next. Is this something I need to download to my phone? Is there a comprehensive guide somewhere tailored to the Droid X?

Thanks for any help!

Squall5042 said:
Hey guys,

I really don't know anything about this stuff but I'm trying to learn. I downloaded the Z4 application but I have no idea what to do next. Is this something I need to download to my phone? Is there a comprehensive guide somewhere tailored to the Droid X?

Thanks for any help!
yea i download apk files from my phone but i was already rooted. im gonna try and get fission on my phone now

Slurmer

Banned
just got it, first smart phone...pretty nifty. BUT, and this is the first day I've used it, I have been noticing a lot of freezing up/non-responsiveness with the touch screen.

I already updated it through system updates...so is there something else I should be doing to remedy this?

Slurmer said:
just got it, first smart phone...pretty nifty. BUT, and this is the first day I've used it, I have been noticing a lot of freezing up/non-responsiveness with the touch screen.

I already updated it through system updates...so is there something else I should be doing to remedy this?
as someone who also just got this phone I don't really notice frequent screen issues.. Actually, swype keyboard is kinda blowing my mind right now

womp

^ If you guys haven't done so already, install LauncherPro. Moto's blur UI skin is horrible and slows everything down out of the box.

Slurmer

Banned
womp said:
^ If you guys haven't done so already, install LauncherPro. Moto's blur UI skin is horrible and slows everything down out of the box.

I will do this after i take the phone to verizon tomorrow to get their input. Isn't it most likely that I just got a faulty phone? I mean, this is only day two and the amount of freezing is pretty ridiculous (I can't even finish words with the swype app most of the time)

My brother got it for me as a gift through wirefly. Anyone else get their phone through them?

womp

Slurmer said:
I will do this after i take the phone to verizon tomorrow to get their input. Isn't it most likely that I just got a faulty phone? I mean, this is only day two and the amount of freezing is pretty ridiculous (I can't even finish words with the swype app most of the time)

My brother got it for me as a gift through wirefly. Anyone else get their phone through them?

Yeah that is definitely abnormal. You probably have a lemon. My original Droid had a faulty proximity sensor.

womp

NightHawk17 said:
i didnt realize installing fission would start me completely fresh, and for some reason none of my apps appear on the market or app brain :(
When you logged into your phone the Market should start automatically downloading all your apps for you.

Titanium backup will also help you back up everything because installing a new ROM usually always requires a clean refresh.

I guess I have just gotten used to it. Only need a half hour to forty five min to restore it all. Trust me, Fission is great and will really free up that memory and bloat left by Motorola out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom