• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

Piggus

It's been asked a few times before in this thread:p
~hd 7770 (in pc land a hd7770 = ~ hd6850 = ~hd5850 =~gtx 285 in benchmarks ; 6850 and 5850 will perform better at high resolutions as they have way better memory bandwidth than 7770, just listing as many as I can as a lot of people will have owned one of these in the past 4 years for reference)

Yep, I had a 5850. People shouldn't worry too much. You'll still see a big jump in quality, but it's disappointing that the tech won't be nearly as cutting edge as when the 360 came out. When 360 was released it was somewhat equivalent to a Radeon X1950, which was a very high-end card at the time. If all of this is true, multiplatform games on PS4 will probably have a minor advantage in the form of resolution/AA/framerate and a more significant advantage in first party games.

EDIT: clarified

You know you could pick any company and we can pick out their worse failures if that makes you feel better....

I don't disagree. I was just making the point that no one is infallible and that saying with certainty that Microsoft won't screw up the next Xbox is probably unwise.

FordGTGuy

Banned
watch-dog.jpg

Look at the AA around his hair clearly next-gen.

Do people think the system won't come bundled with Kinect 2.0? I mean, it absolutely has to. I don't see MS doing two marketing campaigns (hey, buy our new $300 system! Also, be sure to pick up Kinect 2.0 for $149 along with it to complete your experience!).

There is no way this doesn't come bundled with Kinect 2.0.

There is a way and there is a chance.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Do people think the system won't come bundled with Kinect 2.0? I mean, it absolutely has to. I don't see MS doing two marketing campaigns (hey, buy our new $300 system! Also, be sure to pick up Kinect 2.0 for $149 along with it to complete your experience!).

There is no way this doesn't come bundled with Kinect 2.0.

Zeal

Banned
So is it fair to say at this point that the wizard is suffering from erectile dysfunction?

Microsoft better do some damage control soon. All this "only nerds on forums only care about specs" talk is simply not true. I remember walking into stores and having everday people in electronics talk about how "PS2 is waayyy stronger than Saturn" and the same was said about Xbox VS PS2.

Word dribbles down from those in the know and influences the less informed. If the consensus is this system cannot hold up to PS4, people WILL get the claim around and it'll hurt sales.

I also think sacrifices had to be made to raw power in order to have Kinect 2.0 either built into the system or bundled with the ungimped SKU.

charsace

And this is an open world multiplatform game, and most likely a launch title.
Even in still shots watchdogs looks better than any console game. The only games that look close to it are pc games with high res textures and going all out on pp effects. In motion though nothing that is out now are indevelopment for consoles can touch the quality of animation and the procedural animation that is going on in the watchdog vid.

And people need to realize that most of the games they play are designed with DX9 in mind. Just look at the jump Crysis 3 as made from the first two games.

Proelite

Microsoft better do some damage control soon. All this "only nerds on forums only care about specs" talk is simply not true. I remember walking into stores and having everday people in electronics talk about how "PS2 is waayyy stronger than Saturn" and the same was said about Xbox VS PS2.

Word dribbles down from those in the know and influences the less informed. If the consensus is this system cannot hold up to PS4, people WILL get the claim around and it'll hurt sales.

Yeah that really worked out for Xbox.

There is a way and there is a chance.

The only way I see it happening is if they offer a cheaper box that only offers the video/music services. There's no good reason to release a weaker system built around a gimmick as the selling point if you don't include the gimmick.

AZ Greg

I'm going to wait until we see some actual games and hear a little bit more before jumping to any final conclusions. But I don't like the sound of MS' expected path for next-gen. It feels like they're going to take a Nintendo-like approach regarding their fans and count on them buying anything they throw out there while they themselves try and penetrate into a new market.

These threads are a great way for me to realize who on GAF is an adult, and who on GAF is a teenager (at least mentally.)

I've owned every Playstation system, and I own the OG Xbox, but not the 360. I pretty much only stuck with the PS3 this generation because of Sony's fantastic 1st party offerings, but I have no brand loyalty; I'll go wherever the games are. I played Uncharted 3 last night for the first time in a while, and fell in love with the graphics all over again. I couldn't help but think wow; with such archaic architecture, they can produce these kind of visuals; we will all be in for a treat with these next consoles. Looking forward to 2013 and beyond; exciting times.

I also believe the PC Master race complainers will be quite surprised by the games these consoles will produce.
If I just purchased a new Corvette, I don’t care that your Bugatti has more HP.

Please, the Xbox was a brand new system which came out almost two years after the PS2. The Playstation brand is already very strong and well known, and if those two consoles will launch at about the same time, the power will of course influence sales.

Of course not, the detail in that demo was insane. The rain, wind, lighting and fire effects were off the charts. If we get that as a launch game then next gen is going to be amazing.

Yeah it looked great...only Crysis 3 of the upcoming PC games I have seen, and maybe Star Citizen, compare

J-Rzez

"Which one is going to play CoD better?" says the drooling, glassy eyed customer.
"Well the PS4 is more powerful, it looks and plays better on there." says the Gamestop employee.

Who am I kidding. Most gamestop salesreps know shit-all about videogames.

Quality of 3rd party offerings have become a greater factor than before with this past gen. So I can see this being a factor for some.

spwolf

Honestly, the core development team is targeting the best possible spec for a given price point, ($299); but I reckon, by giving in to devs demands for more ram, they cut back on other areas.

they are? $299? ram what?

i think people should stop pretending to know whats going on. It is getting tiresome.

Or was there some interview where "core development team" gave their side of the story and price of $299, while blaming it all on RAM.

Because there is no way 720 will be same price that 360 is right now.

charsace

And you think THIS looks next-gen ENOUGH with Star Wars 1313?

Sheeesh, Sony first party studios MUST save next-gen dignity so quickly. Only 16 days left.

Are you saying those games don't look great? Do yourself a favor and watch vids for both games in HD. If you still can't see a difference then you could stick to PS3/360 until the gen after.

Of course not, the detail in that demo was insane. The rain, wind, lighting and fire effects were off the charts. If we get that as a launch game then next gen is going to be amazing.

If we are getting this as next-gen, we are really aiming too low. I know the same happened this gen with the likes of Genji Days Of The Blades which looked worse than GOW2 on PS2, but still, it's not what we would expect for a next gen experience, it's more like a transition game between the 2 gens , high end last-last game, very low end next-gen game, along with StarWars 1313.

Neo C.

I also think sacrifices had to be made to raw power in order to have Kinect 2.0 either built into the system or bundled with the ungimped SKU.

What exactly should Microsoft do? It's obvious the company doesn't have the same focus on games like the PS4. So the only thing Microsoft can and should do is not mentioning the specs at all.

Ashes

Banned
they are? $299? ram what?

i think people should stop pretending to know whats going on. It is getting tiresome.

Or was there some interview where "core development team" gave their side of the story and price of $299, while blaming it all on RAM.

Because there is no way 720 will be same price that 360 is right now.

How much do you think it will be?

artist

Banned
Gemüsepizza;47300202 said:
Please, the Xbox was a brand new system which came out almost two years after the PS2. The Playstation brand is already very strong and well known, and if those two consoles will launch at about the same time, the power will of course influence sales.
This. I didn't even think it deserved a response.
Proelite, Proeliting.

After reading the last few pages, aegis joins him. Only thuway and llhere remain.

Gemüsepizza;47300202 said:

To what degree does power influence sales? PS3 still hasn't come within striking distance of the Wii.

The salt is strong within this thread. I knew this was going to happen, hate to say I told you so. Some of you power hungry people are just asking for too much. You want the power, go get it. Newegg.com is excellent for building a new rig.

In the end games are still going to look amazing on Orbis and Durango especially when you take the close nature of the hardware into account. I cant wait.

Even in still shots watchdogs looks better than any console game. The only games that look close to it are pc games with high res textures and going all out on pp effects. In motion though nothing that is out now are indevelopment for consoles can touch the quality of animation and the procedural animation that is going on in the watchdog vid.

And people need to realize that most of the games they play are designed with DX9 in mind. Just look at the jump Crysis 3 as made from the first two games.

While I'm on your side of the fence all the way, the bolded is a pretty poor argument.
A game with some of the worst artistic/color design and most uncanny looks of all games to it is not a going to convince a lot of people.

Right now crysis 3 seems to just be riding on the 'crysis graphics' meme from 2007. I think as the sum of its parts it looks like total dogshit, regardless of the tehnical aspect behind it and texture resolution and amount of PoM

PhatSaqs

Banned

It really wont matter to the Madden/COD masses as long as the games look & play equivalent on the systems. They are the ones that make or break these systems.

This. I didn't even think it deserved a response.

This is why this forum is good sometimes, you can just let those kinds of logical fallacies and lack of critical thinking skills go as someone else is bound to cover it for you. I wouldn't have the patience for it myself.

szaromir

Banned

Sure, people will be aware of that, but the console that will sell more will be the one that will get the perception of "the hot new item". Good graphics might be a part of that, but probably more is needed. It's possible neither console will really take off and they will sell worse than their last gen counterparts, like we are seeing with Vita and 3DS at the moment (were neither cutting edge power nor 3D screen helped them to be really relevant).

Are you saying those games don't look great? Do yourself a favor and watch vids for both games in HD. If you still can't see a difference then you could stick to PS3/360 until the gen after.
I saw both games, in HD, even in ultra HD, it won't stop them from being NON REAL next-gen games, the only next-gen engine so far is Luminous Engine, and we can say Unreal Engine 4, they are real representative of real next gen features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZDVYWoFcME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2xR7_MSxbI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AELr74LccYE

Even if you are thinking that Cryengine 3 and Frostbite 2.0 are enough for next-gen, you are kidding yourself, just stick to those last-gen engines on PC for the next-gen.

While I'm on your side of the fence all the way, the bolded is a pretty poor argument.
A game with some of the worst artistic/color design and most uncanny looks of all games to it is not a going to convince a lot of people.

Right now crysis 3 seems to just be riding on the 'crysis graphics' meme from 2007. I think as the sum of its parts it looks like total dogshit, regardless of the tehnical aspect behind it and texture resolution and amount of PoM

Really? Crysis 3 looks pretty incredible to me on PC.

Jack_AG

Banned

Excellent comparison. Not like tech trends or the general tech knowledge of the consumer have changed over the past decade. Nobody cares about tech horsepower, confirmed. It's not like tons of people line up to buy the next iPhone every few weeks when the slightly better version hits the streets. Nobody cares about the extra hardware.

Well done. It's 2013, btw.

Draft

Well, look on the bright side Xbox guys: Sony guys have already beta tested your damage control for the next generation, "I'll just get the PC version of 3rd party games!"

Excellent comparison. Not like tech trends or the general tech knowledge of the consumer have changed over the past decade. Nobody cares about tech horsepower, confirmed. It's not like tons of people line up to buy the next iPhone every few weeks when the slightly better version hits the streets. Nobody cares about the extra hardware.

Well done. It's 2013, btw.

You think people are lining up for the new iPhone because of the bump in power?
When 360 was released ,wasn't the gpu also relatively old compared to what was on the market at that time?

If I remember correctly, I think it was regarded as better or as good as the best on the market.

I never thought MS would cheap out on their new xbox. Although signs for that were there, i refused to believe that ... boy was i wrong. And the GPU seems even weaker than assumed.

I just hope Sony introduces a 360 like controller... then i will be happy camper in my new gaming home.

Really? Crysis 3 looks pretty incredible to me on PC.

I guess I just despise the overuse of colorgrading, and somehow all the materials (except for the garbage bags in crysis 2:p) look way off.

They somehow manage to make the entire scene look fake and uncanny.
The airport level in the alpha looks really unnapealing to me as did everything except for a few of the nightlevel bits (hard to fuck up artistically when everything is covered in darkness and neon lights ...) in crysis 2.

I also still have nightmares from that Temporal AA in crysis 2.

Top Bottom