• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

If all of this is true, multiplatform games on PS4 will probably have a minor advantage

I think Orbis will have a larger advantage over Durango than X360 had over PS3. I think X360 had a minor advantage on multiplatform games.

PS4 should have a noteworthy advantage over Next Xbox. The gap in GPU power seems considerably wider than RSX vs Xenos.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I also believe the PC Master race complainers will be quite surprised by the games these consoles will produce.
If I just purchased a new Corvette, I don’t care that your Bugatti has more HP.

Yet for some reason you believe the guy in the Bugatti is going to be surprised by the power of the Corvette great logic/analogy you have there.....

I think Orbis will have a larger advantage over Durango than X360 had over PS3. I think X360 had a minor advantage on multiplatform games.

PS4 should have a noteworthy advantage over Next Xbox. The gap in GPU power seems considerably wider than RSX vs Xenos.

Is the gap big enough to have orbis run miltiplats at 60fps? That would seal the deal immediately for me :)

Feindflug

I will be shocked if we see games for either consoles running in sub HD.

And what will stop devs from going sub-HD if 720p is something common next gen? prepare to also see sub-HD titles as well...devs will probably try to improve the IQ by adding something like 4MSAA+FXAA for example to get rid of the jaggies and call it a (next gen?) day.

If the rumors are true both next gen systems sound disappointing tech wise especially if you consider that they'll come out after an 8 year console cycle, let's hope this E3 will be filled with A LOT of cool looking games to get things exciting.

Zzoram

Do people think the system won't come bundled with Kinect 2.0? I mean, it absolutely has to. I don't see MS doing two marketing campaigns (hey, buy our new $300 system! Also, be sure to pick up Kinect 2.0 for $149 along with it to complete your experience!).

There is no way this doesn't come bundled with Kinect 2.0.

Yup. The gimped GPU is further evidence that the New Xbox will come with Kinect 2.0. They probably sacrificed on the GPU to be able to afford to bundle Kinect 2.0. In the end, it's probably the better decision. Slightly worse graphics is probably not going to hurt them much (they could just do 720p games to get the same effects and framerate as the PS4 and most people won't notice the difference).

Trojan horsing Kinect into 50+ million homes is worth it for Microsoft. With that, they can hook people to the Kinect experience and maybe win the Wii audience that won't go to the Wii U now that it's gone back to a gamepad. I don't think the Wii audience will go to PS4 for Move 2.0 since they didn't care about Move 1.0 due to it seeming too much like the Wii they already have. The Kinect 2.0 will offer an experience that is new to most people and should have a lot wider appeal than the Move 2.0 experience that will just feel like the Wii again.

No. The iPhone isn't "new". It can never be the "new thing" again. It can be the better thing - but never again the new thing.

Well that's kind of what I meant anyways. It's the new "iPhone". There.

The point stands. The mass is not there because it has a faster this, or a bigger that. They're there because it's the new iPhone.

Rad-

Kinect 2.0 bundled is pretty much a given. It also works with their mediabox idea. Remember how they hyped Kinect as the new remote? That's what they are going to do next gen I bet.

It's not worth the money certainly but the Mini's form factor is on point.

Mini is the bestPad.

Kinect 2.0 bundled is pretty much a given. It also works with their mediabox idea. Remember how they hyped Kinect as the new remote? That's what they are going to do next gen I bet.

Then it better be Minority Report-esque. No more of that inaccurate hovering crapola.

Withnail

Kinect as standard is a nailed on certainty IMO. Believing otherwise is wishful thinking rather than interpretation of the facts.

If the specs we've been hearing are accurate, it looks like next gen will be a battle between Sony 1st party exclusives vs. Microsoft's new innovation/gimmick and non-gaming features and apps.

Should be interesting. I'll bet that MS's insane marketing will result in a gazillion sales to casuals and Sony will do well with the more "hardcore" gamers. I think both platforms will do pretty well actually, albeit to different audiences.

Jack_AG

Banned
Well that's kind of what I meant anyways. It's the new "iPhone". There.

The point stands. The mass is not there because it has a faster this, or a bigger that. They're there because it's the new iPhone.

No. They are there because they are told it is better. If Apple said - "We're re-releasing the exact same phone you have now!" I doubt everyone would buy the EXACT same device.

They buy because PR says "its better, buy it!".

Damn it, I'll just wait a year to see how the 3rd party situation pans out, I was pretty sure I'll get the new Xbox first but now it's open game for me.

Parity is to be expected for the first year or maybe two but if devs can tap more power without hassle, they definitely will.

nasos_333

So, now that we know xbox 720 will be so far weaker than PS4, how is MS expecting to market it and sell it ?

Strange stuff, they must have all the exclusive games in the world to make sales this time around

Since being faster is always a huge bulletpoint of a new iphone, I think it plays a factor, so does that one big feature they play up every time. Being new cannot be the only reason so many people pay that amount of money.

I also believe the PC Master race complainers will be quite surprised by the games these consoles will produce. If I just purchased a new Corvette, I don’t care that your Bugatti has more HP.

Nice hyperbole and misinterpreting.
It's more like anyone who bought a new car in the last several years is driving a golf GT or better.
Lots of people have an elise or anything in between and a few people own a bugatti.
And sony/ms decided to release a golf gti and a golf gt respectively 2 years later, on the assumption that everyone who has been stuck driving a Lada for the past 8 years will be thrilled to get rid of it and upgrade.

Anyone who points to the wide breadth of sedans and sportscars available filling the space between a golf gti and a bugatti gets called a fanboy or a 'master racer' (heh get it, cars)

It would be nice to be able to discuss things in shades of grey and with some sense of perspective instead of in black and white hyperbole.

So I guess the rumours are true then. M$ will probably drop the price on this thing at a faster rate than they did the 360 this gen.

szaromir

Banned
I saw both games, in HD, even in ultra HD, it won't stop them from being NON REAL next-gen games, the only next-gen engine so far is Luminous Engine, and we can say Unreal Engine 4, they are real representative of real next gen features:
Even if you are thinking that Cryengine 3 and Frostbite 2.0 are enough for next-gen, you are kidding yourself, just stick to those last-gen engines on PC for the next-gen.
You'd better hope Squeenix built some magic tools for that engine, they have trouble finishing PS3(60) games, that level of fidelity might take them decades for bigger scope games.

artist

Banned
I would say the majority would be there because its the next new thing.
Given Apple's track record over the past decade, they wouldnt be wrong in assuming that as well.

iPad Mini -smaller screen, slower processor, worse screen resolution. Long lines. People wait in line for new Apple products because they're new Apple products.
Smaller screen = Portable form factor
Worse resolution = Compared to what? iPad mini is the first mini .. iPad.

You got the last line correct though.

Zeal

Banned
So, now that we know xbox 720 will be so far weaker than PS4, how is MS expecting to market it and sell it ?

Strange stuff, they must have all the exclusive games in the world to make sales this time around

This is what's so puzzling for me. MS has vastly more money than Sony and is known for producing powerhouse systems now, so wtf is this? Sony didn't exactly do that well with PS3 and hasn't been pulling in the money they need, so now they produce a more expensive and superior system?

All of this is messed up, imo.

I mean, I don't really mind as I will get both systems at launch, but it doesn't stop me from wondering what the plan is here with MS. They don't let themselves get bested so easily, so I believe at least something must be brewing.

But if it is a huge Kinect 2.0 push and motion sensing crap, I am just not interested. I want great looking games on a classic controller. Add all the little cool touch screen stuff you want to the controller like Sony is doing, but don't force motion control shit on me, please.

Zzoram

Kinect 2.0

They need a killer lineup of Kinect games. Dance Central is a winning franchise and the best Kinect seller right now but it's not enough to push an entirely new console. They need different types of games for Kinect to sell the New Xbox. If Microsoft is smart, they should've put a dozen teams on new game mechanic concepts for Kinect 2.0 since the day they started selling Kinect 1.0.

itsgreen

How does every other car company sell vs. Ferrari?

Better value for money, unique features etc.

Depending on their respective pricepoints:

1) MS is betting that people don't need that extra bit of performance, don't want to pay the premium, don't value the price difference

2) MS is convinced their unique total proposition is worth it for the general consumer (if they can include Kinect in every box it is added value for the consumer, perhaps more than slightly better (in their eyes) graphics)

3) a combination of 1 and 2.

If the specs we've been hearing are accurate, it looks like next gen will be a battle between Sony 1st party exclusives vs. Microsoft's new innovation/gimmick and non-gaming features and apps.

Should be interesting. I'll bet that MS's insane marketing will result in a gazillion sales to casuals and Sony will do well with the more "hardcore" gamers. I think both platforms will do pretty well actually, albeit to different audiences.

I expect MS to up their 1st party output significantly if they want to compete.

artist

Banned

Horse power does not guarantee a win/loss.

When 360 was released ,wasn't the gpu also relatively old compared to what was on the market at that time?

not at all the 360's GPU was actually well ahead of it's time. there was not retail comparison for the gpu. it was custom and the first gpu with a unified shader architecture.

we didn't get a unified shader architecture on desktops until the HD 2900 XT dropped in May 2007, a full 18 months after the 360 released and the HD 2900 XT was ATI's 2nd generation unified architecture with the 360's Xenos being the 1st gen for them.

It really was well ahead of it's time with it's unified shader architecture, edram, tesselation unit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is what's so puzzling for me. MS has vastly more money than Sony and is known for producing powerhouse systems now, so wtf is this? Sony didn't exactly do that well with PS3 and hasn't been pulling in the money they need, so now they produce a more expensive and superior system?

All of this is messed up, imo.

Microsoft as a company has way more money but that doesn't all go to the gaming division. The future of the entirety of Sony rides on the PS4. Sony had to make sure they invested in the PS4 hardware accordingly to appeal to the core, where their customers tend to lie, whereas Microsoft is looking to add in Kinect and go for a mass market product. Microsoft didn't cheap out, I expect Kinect 2 to blow some minds. Kinect is an integral part of the Durango hardware and we have yet to see what it can do.

The Ps4 has the GPU in the pocket.
Memory don't how that will end have to see when next gen ends.
Cpu we dont know yet ps4 so is rumored to have jaguar and next xbox i believe vgleaks said x86 cpu(?) so could be modified version of jaguar or it could be the same as ps4.

Then what other custom hardware is there on durango maybe a dsp chip for audio or something else, or completely nothing.

Too soon to tell and people would be stupid to preorder on basis from these leaks.
Im gonna wait for E3 1.4Tflops sounds a bit to weak for me even my goddam laptop has more processing power and i7 to boot.

So i hope the games will impress at E3 for both platform or else i will upgrade my desktop completely this year.

Zeal

Banned
I am going to puke if this so called secret sauce is Kinect being implemented into the console or being packed in with the system. And all launch titles will feature amazing, hand waving gameplay. Woopdie fuckin' doo.

More like weak sauce.

I know it's still significantly more powerful than the 360's GPU, so we'll see some really special stuff from Durango.

It's just disappointing compared to Orbis.

Orbis is far and away the most conservative console design in Sony's history. While I like the balance they were able to achieve and I think it's great that they developed a developer centric system, there's nothing bleeding edge about the design. Orbis is at bestbest the lower end of what I'd actually class as a true generational leap forward.

Durango isn't low end compared to Orbis,its just low end full stop. Are people really satisfied that the baseline for next generation development is going to be outclassed by integrated graphics solutions within 2 (at most 3) years of launch. Is that really how far we've fallen?

Top Bottom