• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

Codeblew

I'm still failing to see how the ps4 is super duper more powerful than the x720 which most people are saying ( mainly Sony fan boys). When developers are saying its very similar the only advantage I see is ps4 has a little more power in its gpu.

No. Mainly people that know that 2 > 1.

CLEEK

What else are we missing? Oh these still rumored specs?

Don't know much about either Orbis or Durango CPUs - if they're just off the shelf AMD CPUs, or modified. Don't know how the 14+4 CUs in Orbis really come into play. Don't know much about the DMAs and Display Planes in Durango. Don't know about sound processing for either (the Durango is supposed to be special in this area). Don't know about HDMI In. Don't know about BC. Don't know about their OS and abilities.

The leaks so far have given a pretty decent idea around certain components, but not the picture for the entire systems. Plus, they're still just rumours at this point, albeit likely to come from official documentation.

Reiko

Banned
Don't know much about either Orbis or Durango CPUs - if they're just off the shelf AMD CPUs, or modified. Don't know how the 14+4 CUs in Orbis really come into play. Don't know much about the DMAs and Display Planes in Durango. Don't know about sound processing for either (the Durango is supposed to be special in this area). Don't know about HDMI In. Don't know about BC. Don't know about their OS and abilities.

The leaks so far have given a pretty decent idea around certain components, but not the picture for the entire systems. Plus, they're still just rumours at this point, albeit likely to come from official documentation.

Another thing is that either of those things in Orbis or Durango could sway the performance in either console's favor. We'll so how all of this works out at E3.

While I do agree that Durango's specs are somewhat disappointing, why do I get the impression from reading this thread that you guys have just learned that? I though that was pretty much well established that the gpu was seemingly under powered but other helper blocks would make the efficiency higher and perceived performance would be much higher...

There are even some new pieces of info that helps getting a clearer picture of what these optimizations are (even though there's no way to now how much they are actually helping).

I get the impression that the Durango will end up surprising many in relation to Orbis performance.

While I do agree that Durango's specs are somewhat disappointing, why do I get the impression from reading this thread that you guys have just learned that? I though that was pretty much well established that the gpu was seemingly under powered but other helper blocks would make the efficiency higher and perceived performance would be much higher...

There are even some new pieces of info that helps getting a clearer picture of what these optimizations are (even though there's no way to now how much they are actually helping).

Zen

Banned
There were features though that were better in Xbox 360 versions of games in comparison to PS3 versions simply to due to the (standard) features that Xbox Live had in comparison. A good portion of it had nothing to due with MS giving money to devs for exclusive DLC. It wasn't just about DLC.

Features yes, better support from developers no. They're just making use of something already in the API. Microsoft paid for 90% of any real favoritism.

Heh, yes since "16 person video chat" is the only thing that the next Xbox will have that's new in terms of online features. :|

And no I haven't said what they will be because I can't come up with anything myself... just like I couldn't have come up with the idea of the Xbox 360 Dashboard back in 2004.

So you have no practical idea how the hypothetical scenario you outlined would actually result in substantially better support for Durango over Orbis. This isn't the era of PS2 not having unified online versus Xbox live, the core feature sets that drive adoption are there.

I don't see how it's wrong for me to feel that MS will introduce many unique/console exclusive online features next gen based on what they did before with their previous consoles -- especially now considering that online console gaming is bigger than it ever was before

The point is it doesn't matter. Even if we see features that drive substantially more sales towards one or the other (say 20 million difference) developers, especially now of all times, aren't going to shut out millions of potential customers and it's unrealistic to hedge your bets on a highly improbably something tipping the scales.

All the better social features didn't stop the PS3 from launching a year late at $599 with bad ports from catching up and surpassing the 360 install base, outselling it when launch aligned. There's not going to be a wave of amazing online/social features that result in Durango receiving better support than Orbis, it's just ludicrous. It didn't happen with the 360 and it won't happen now. It happened with the original Xbox because of a power difference and there being nothing like Xbox live in the console space, there's no way they can replicate that kind of divide. And most of the Xbox favoritism came from PC devs jumping on board due to hardware.

And it didn't stop the PS2 from still outselling the original Xbox by huge margins.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

i read this to the tune of this.

Price probably has a larger effect on buying decision than console power as the price gets higher and higher. One console launched @$249 and the other launched @$599. You can debate all day that is was a stupid move to launch @$599 but the need to compare these 2 items of wildly different price points for some console war has always seemed childish if you ever took a high school business/econ class.

Wii was a gaming console. 360 was a gaming console. PS3 was a gaming console. The weaker one completely destroyed the more powerful ones. Are we not supposed to compare the successes and failures of consoles vying for the same market just because one is more expensive than the other? Fine, then, what criteria should we use? From a business perspective, money generated is incredibly important. Who won that battle? Last I checked, Sony hasn't netted any money off the PS3 this entire gen. Nintendo made money this entire generation until last year.

Zen

Banned
Lawl, some guy makes shitty box graphics on powerpoint slides and everyone believes it. There really is a sucker born every minute.

Then it would have to be a lot of different people making these slides with all the other leaks. Unless you're claiming to have insider knowledge.

This site has been very reliable so far. Every spec rumor they've posted has been spot on.

Spot on to what exactly? There hasn't been ONE confirmation of anything that has been said. There are some alleged insiders here but I'm shocked how quick people are to believe anything published on the internet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Compared against which reliable source?
They had the specs of the Wii U long before it was out, info that still isn't even publicly available. Their quoted numbers have lines up perfectly with numbers we've seen from people on the know and have had a good deal more info, like the 14+4 set up of Orbis. Seeing as how several bigger sites that have never posted unverified rumors have several of the same numbers as VGLeaks, it's pretty onvious that they have good info. Things can change, of course but what they post is true at this point in time.

Souther

Banned
Spot on to what exactly? There hasn't been ONE confirmation of anything that has been said. There are some alleged insiders here but I'm shocked how quick people are to believe anything published on the internet.

Who is going to confirm it though? Microsoft isn't. Are devs going to confirm it? Doubt it. Would they even be allowed. Are they not under NDA? This has to fall under NDA rules.

Oh man this place is going to be crazy at e3 isn't it? Well people may lose it on Feb. 20th. I just can't wait to see the games, the gifs, and the glorious meltdowns.

Oh man this place is going to be crazy at e3 isn't it? Well people may lose it on Feb. 20th. I just can't wait to see the games, the gifs, and the glorious meltdowns.

I suspect a lot of graying out of names. Place is going to be ridiculous. I'm glad that Nintendo can just focus on games, they got their hardware beating already :p

Another thing is that either of those things in Orbis or Durango could sway the performance in either console's favor. We'll so how all of this works out at E3.
Are we likely to get technical breakdowns of Orbis/Durango at E3? I honestly don't know. Did we get breakdowns of 360/PS3 at their respective inaugural E3s?

???

What is there not to get?

The PS2 was a really good improvement over the PS1 but was weaker than its main competitors, the Xbox and GC.

The next Xbox will be a really good improvement over the Xbox 360 but it seems like it may be weaker than its main competitor, the PS4.

If MS is trying to go for a "modern PS2 plan", having an attractive system to various demographics with a good price point -- therefore causing the system to have a ton of support, then I don't view that as a bad thing at all.

The reason why the PS2 held up well (as you said) was simply because of the great support it had.

The PS2 also came out 20 months before the rest. You can't compare these situations.

FuturusX

My point was that if Kinect 2 make the Xbox 3 like a iPad for your Living Room then the Power of the GPU isn't going to hold it back.

& when you say "Gamer" who are you talking about? because almost everyone is playing games now, & if the games are fun & control as they should with Kinect 2 who is going to stop playing the game to say "This GPU is only 1.2TFLOPS" ?

the GPU is good enough for the biggest market & that's everyday people the one's who are playing games on Smart Phones & Tablets give them a way to play their favorite games like Subway Surfers & Temple Run in the Living Room on the big screen with controls that are simple as the touch controls on a Tablet or Smart Phone with no lag & perfect tracking people will not care if the graphics isn't the best in the world they will just enjoy the games & buy them. (See Wii & games like Just Dance )

I don't think the sort of people you are talking about are going to care about playing games in their living room or in the very least they are going to be difficult to sustain as a viable console business model over the long run.

See Wii and games like Just Dance.

But I digress. I just thought talk of sales and success in a GPU discussion thread was odd. I still do.

Are we likely to get technical breakdowns of Orbis/Durango at E3? I honestly don't know. Did we get breakdowns of 360/PS3 at their respective inaugural E3s?

I don't remember. I just remember last E3 when Nintendo revealed pretty much nothing about the hardware. Conceivably Sony and Nintendo could do the same. Difference being that tons of third parties are working on Xbox/PS3 games. If the consoles get officially announced, does that mean their NDAs are up and they can tell us what they know?

I don't remember. I just remember last E3 when Nintendo revealed pretty much nothing about the hardware. Conceivably Sony and Nintendo could do the same. Difference being that tons of third parties are working on Xbox/PS3 games. If the consoles get officially announced, does that mean their NDAs are up and they can tell us what they know?
This is what I'm wondering. I know Sony has historically been one to talk-up the technology inside their consoles. I remember marketing names like "Graphics Synthesizer" and the like. I also remember something about bandwidth numbers in regards to PS3. But I don't remember when we actually got hard info on the technical makeup of those consoles. Like Reiko said, what if they don't even have an actual working console at E3, and everything is a target render? How far ahead of launch do these consoles go into production?

onQ123

I don't think the sort of people you are talking about are going to care about playing games in their living room or in the very least they are going to be difficult to sustain as a viable console business model over the long run.

See Wii and games like Just Dance.

But I digress. I just thought talk of sales and success in a GPU discussion thread was odd. I still do.

Just Dance is still selling so what are you getting at?

i-Lo

So Proelite got banned. I guess even mods have had enough with his constant obfuscating that borders on trolling. After Thuway's ban I realised you can not get away by breaking the rules just because you may have insider information.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
So Proelite got banned. I guess even mods have had enough with his constant obfuscating that borders on trolling. After Thuway's ban I realised you can not get away by breaking the rules just because you may have insider information.

Thuway's banned? What did he do?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Thuway wasn't banned for anything pertaining to his info since he's given real numbers and been proven right a few times. He was just whining about a thread.

Gorillaz

Thuway ended up being banned because he did the whole "does this need a thread" comment.

Tho he is kind of lucky that the ban came before this thread because he would also have been on a mods chopping block.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Honestly, I'm not even disappointed. It was getting highly annoying to have people obfuscate information especially when we're all begging for even a drop of solid info. E3 can't come soon enough.

Reiko

Banned

We're in the NDA Dark Ages. Full Steam Ahead:/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Any leaks about changes to the controller?

Given the fact that even Nintendo was copying the 360 controller layout for the Wii U Pro Controller and that no one really has any complaints with it I highly doubt there will be anything more than aesthetic changes and maybe an improved D-pad. Kinect is where the control changes are.

i-Lo

Thuway wasn't banned for anything pertaining to his info since he's given real numbers and been proven right a few times. He was just whining about a thread.

I am aware of that. I am just saying that possessing supposed insider information does not make you valuable to such an extent where you are impervious to rules of the forum. I specifically despise what Proelite does since it has to do with manipulation of information. If you are going to go down that road then why not let the information remain undisclosed? And the answer may be "attention whoring" and toying with other posters. At least, Thuway is a straight arrow in that department.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I am aware of that. I am just saying possessing supposed insider information does not make valuable to such an extent where you are impervious to rules of the forum. I specifically despise what Proelite does since it has to do with manipulation of information. If you are going to go down that road then why not let the information remain undisclosed? And the answer may be "attention whoring". At least, Thuway is a straight arrow in that department.

You don't know what he was banned for. Just leave him be. Jeez. Not like the guy can defend himself.

What usually happens from experience is that developers will give a round of interviews and press events after a console unveiling to hype it up. Its not so much NDAs as the silence-to-the-press that awaits information releases. So once they release the first official words and specs, a few developers (likely first parties) do a round of press. Third parties working for both consoles, last two generations, have often chosen their words carefully at first but then later will make statements about strengths and weaknesses.

Considering how the console wars are now, I reckon these statements will be overly dramatised. But we know that.

i-Lo

We're in the NDA Dark Ages. Full Steam Ahead:/

In a way, it is good thing. Perhaps now people will actually wait for "actual" projects to be shown off.

Plus, the people with at least a modicum of wisdom who also possess insider information still lurk among us with watchful eyes; lherre, BruceLeeRoy and GopherD.

rdrr gnr

And wrong just as many. Neither thuway or proelite are themselves insiders. Half this forum is running around thinking these guys have drinks with Ballmer after work. Both of them and this forum could use a break from nonsense for a while.
Thuway was banned for thread whining guys.

He'll be back on the 19th of this month if I'm not mistaken.
I understand that.

JJD

Thuway was banned for thread whining guys.

He'll be back on the 19th of this month if I'm not mistaken.

The PS2 also came out 20 months before the rest. You can't compare these situations.

I give up on this. People continue to bring up this silly argument that PS2 was weak and despite that it won. People don't have memory, they don't know the PS2 came out 20 months earlier and that by the time the competitors arrived the race was already over.

For some reason they continue to spread BS like this even if we are correcting and giving the context of what happened back then.

Shayan

Banned
Fixed cause it's confusing having two lines with different order of comparison.

thats actually irrelevant
if MS wants to go after casual crowd, since Wii U didnt make that of an impact , they will launch with 8g RAM and try to make x720 a total media hub

so these talks of Orbis being more powerful than Durango is actually irrelevant

Top Bottom