• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

Piggus

Remember guys, we all shot down the 360 and its capabilities and said how the gap was going to be worse when it comes to multiplats.

We all know how that turned out...

Because the architecture between PS3 and 360 was so different. It was an apples to oranges comparison. That's not really the case this time around.

Deuterium

They will for all intents and purposes get equivalent support. And I'd hazard to say that things will become "even more multiplatform" due to the PS4 likely being much easier to port from PC - e.g. the PS3 was too different for things like the Witcher 2 to be done easily, compared to a 360 SKU.
Yes, nothing is confirmed. What's your point? The thread is to discuss the leaked information.

It ceased being a thread discussing leaked information a long time ago, when a significant number of people here are treating the information as confirmed facts, and making all sorts of hyperbolic claims based upon this pretense.

Any posters which are careful to acknowledge the unsubstantiated nature of the "leaked" specifications, before making comparisons and extrapolations, are few and far between.

People are saying that if the Next Xbox is less powerful than the PS4 then it will more than likely be cheaper.

Again, I never said that one console would blow out the other in terms of support. All I said was that if the price and online services are right, then I can see the console have more support than the other... not just in certain features in multiplatform games but also when it comes to digital download games (possible exclusivity?).

Like I said though, we'll see.
I haven't seen anyone other than normal posters speculate that.

And aren't those usually deals? And not devs deciding not to deal with one over the other because of a gap in sales.
It ceased being a thread discussing leaked information a long time ago, when a significant number of people here are treating the information as confirmed facts, and making all sorts of hyperbolic claims based upon this pretense.

Any posters which are careful to acknowledge the unsubstantiated nature of the "leaked" specifications, before making comparisons and extrapolations, are few and far between.
Treating it as confirmed because the site has such a great track record.

Reiko

Banned
Because the architecture between PS3 and 360 was so different. It was an apples to oranges comparison. That's not really the case this time around.

And even knowing what we know... And not fully paying attention to Durango's specs we could also possibly be wrong again.

Drain You

Orbis and Durango both seem to be quite capable when it comes to hardware. I'm more interested in the advancements of Live and PSN.

I've been reading pages upon pages arguing about these specs and which is stronger and I could not agree with this sentiment even more. I want to see how each OS has evolved, how similar to what we have now. Hell a big part of me is just excited to see what each of these systems look like physically. It is always excited to see what a new console looks like.

Karak

I've been reading pages upon pages arguing about these specs and which is stronger and I could not agree with this sentiment even more. I want to see how each OS has evolved, how similar to what we have now. Hell a big part of me is just excited to see what each of these systems look like physically. It is always excited to see what a new console looks like.

Always :) Very interesting.
Regardless I will most likely get them both and I am also really interested in the extra's. We are passed a Wii situation here by so far that I am stoked to just see the games and what they do. Reading some of the patents for various game ideas is insane.

And even knowing what we know... And not fully paying attention to Durango's specs we could also possibly be wrong again.

It still doesn't change the fact it IS apple to apples now. No two consoles have ever been so similar. Same CPU, same GPU tech and architecture. Litterally 1 flop on the Durango is equal to 1 flop on Orbis. You can compare them. The only difference so far that we know of, is the 410 gflop 4CU's in Orbis which does lend its design to be much more efficient when it comes to compute tasks.

I don't buy into the reactionary theories that circulate every gen. As if the engineers are sitting on their hands, while Kaz surfs the internet looking for leaked specs of his competitors.

I'm sure all parties involved are doing exactly what they intended to do.

Proxy

These are the specs of the GPU. lherre pretty much confirmed it.

Bgamer90

Banned
I haven't seen anyone other than normal posters speculate that.

Yeah, it was just people making predictions; simply stating that the one that isn't more powerful will possible be cheaper in price.

Nothing crazy/far-fetched.

And aren't those usually deals? And not devs deciding not to deal with one over the other because of a gap in sales.

Yes, some are deals. Other times it can be sales (as somewhat evident with the Wii U).

Online features and services can also mean more than they ever did before as well, especially in terms of digital download games. We may see some games having certain features over other console versions or even certain digital download games coming out on one console before the other.

I definitely feel that online is going to play a huge role next gen.

So will these next gen consoles be comparable to current PC's? (sorry if this has been answered, I am still making my way through all the pages of this thread)

Just wondering because every exclusive IP reveal tends to bring out people saying they'd love to see the what the developers could do with PC's and less restraint from old hardware.

I am just excited to see what Sony and MS are bringing to the table, I feel like ill be getting a PS4 to play games, and a 720 later down the road if MS tends to stay more entertainment focused

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So why were some saying it was 6 usable cores for Orbis too?(it was proelite who said 6 in the new Wii U GPU thread. Is that why he was banned?)

No one really knows for sure about the CPU situation for either console in terms of cores available for games. I've heard that Durango uses one core for the OS and another is locked out for yield reasons. It sounds like Microsoft did some extra customizations to the CPU so yields may be an issue. I haven't heard anything about the cores for Orbis. I'm sure they're also aiming at one core for OS/security but I don't know if they have another core locked for yield reasons.

It sounds childish when you put it like that

Karak

I come and go in these threads, so I may have gotten some crap crossed.

:)
So far it has been-
OS requirements from 1-2
Yield issues from 1-2
Security from 1-2.

Durango will now have 1 CPU left over for gaming:)

Kidding. And security had a somewhat valid rumor that it was an Arm chip.

Reiko

Banned
I don't buy into the reactionary theories that circulate every gen. As if the engineers are sitting on their hands, while Kaz surfs the internet looking for leaked specs of his competitors.

I'm sure all parties involved are doing exactly what they intended to do.

Well MS didn't change their specs so...

So will these next gen consoles be comparable to current PC's? (sorry if this has been answered, I am still making my way through all the pages of this thread)

Just wondering because every exclusive IP reveal tends to bring out people saying they'd love to see the what the developers could do with PC's and less restraint from old hardware.

I am just excited to see what Sony and MS are bringing to the table, I feel like ill be getting a PS4 to play games, and a 720 later down the road if MS tends to stay more entertainment focused

They'll never be comparable to PC's. In consoles theres no OS overhead, devs don't have to program for multiple levels of hardware, they can code to the metal, its a close environment. I truely believe at the end of Orbis's lifecycle with the 4th gen games, you will see it doing things that a gtx690 or whatever wouldn't be able to accomplish, even though it has more than twice the flops of Orbis' GPU.

Look at TLOU or GoW:A or Beyond: Two Souls. Would those level of visuals been possible on a 8800gtx from 2006 or whatever the top top of the line GPU from 2006 was(i think it was a 8800gtx)? Or even 2007?

edit: I do realize that PS3 did have Cell which was crazy powerful for its time and it was able to aid RSX to accomplish a lot of these things, but you get my point.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
No way in hell am I reading this whole thread, can someone give me a TLDR recap?

Durango specs lower than expected?

More like Durango specs in line with what most people expected.

Some people are disappointed because there doesn't appear to be any significant special sauce as speculated previously, and there's a good possibility at this point that Durango will have a non-insignificant power deficit compared to Orbis.

No way in hell am I reading this whole thread, can someone give me a TLDR recap?

Durango specs lower than expected?

I haven't been up to date with the thread for the past few hours. But it mainly confirmed what we know. Main thing was 16 ROPs for Durango, which is half what Orbis has. I don't know if people knew this before or not. Also the vertex and triangle rates are the same for both GPUs(it was suggested before that Durango had an advantage here).

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I haven't been up to date with the thread for the past few hours. But it mainly confirmed what we know. Main thing was 16 ROPs for Durango, which is half what Orbis has. I don't know if people knew this before or not. Also the vertex and triangle rates are the same for both GPUs(it was suggested before that Durango had an advantage here).

I suppose this is a bit surprising.

Shouldn't vertex/triangle rates scale fairly well with TFLOP performance, or am I wrong in thinking this?

artist

Banned
Damn man.

You asked about the specs in this thread being a year old directly to aegies.

Here is what he answered to you.

And you're still in denial??? lherre practically confirmed then and then bailed fearing NDAs.

I want the 720 to be as powerful as MS can make it. But right now chances are closing on 100% that we're looking at what we'll get.

There is absolutely no more time for a significant overhaul if they are unveiling at E3. And they're probably doing it sooner.

I think the only option MS have at this time is adding more RAM, and I'm not talking about faster GDDR5 RAM, that would require more work. I'm talking about more slow DDR3 which would be useless for then since they already have 8Gb.
If you havent noticed it already but thats his schtick. He comes into these threads (rumors/leaks) and then craps all over the discussion saying it's all BS and then leaves. Thats all he does. My last conversation ended with him saying he literally needed to hear the specs of the consoles from MS/Sony (which is fair) but why always crap on these threads? I tried to argue that VGLeaks were confirmed to be accurate hence these threads warrant so much discussion but it's not enough for him. Just let him be, he'll either get tired or he'll get called out more often.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If Microsoft really manages to undercut Sony on price, I don't think the power difference will matter.

I think pricing will be the same. MS will likely bundle Kinect. The only thing that may give Microsoft a pricing edge is if they subsidize right out of the gate.

Reiko

Banned
More like Durango specs in line with what most people expected.

Some people are disappointed because there doesn't appear to be any significant special sauce as speculated previously, and there's a good possibility at this point that Durango will have a non-insignificant power deficit compared to Orbis.

I think MS went with a lower powered GPU on purpose to offload other tasks which would eat at the bandwidth to specialized silicon.

So something is definitely up.

Sony just went straightforward with an additional quirk for power.

That's looking extremely unlikely at this point. :p

I seriously doubt MS gimped their console to run Epic, Crytek, and DICE's engines at sub optimal levels. But we'll see.

Drain You

I think pricing will be the same. MS will likely bundle Kinect. The only thing that may give Microsoft a pricing edge is if they subsidize right out of the gate.

Really would love if MS released a Non Kinect SKU but I do not see it happening. I have the feeling MS doesn't want that sort of fragmentation from the start and I'd bet Kinect will be pushed hard next gen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really would love if MS released a Non Kinect SKU but I do not see it happening. I have the feeling MS doesn't want that sort of fragmentation from the start and I'd bet Kinect will be pushed hard next gen.

I think Microsoft wants to try to get Kinect to appeal to the core as well as the casual audience. We don't know what Kinect 2 can do yet. If it can do stuff like head tracking, in depth voice recognition, and other things it was originally supposed to do it could be a really cool addition to core games.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think MS went with a lower powered GPU on purpose to offload other tasks which would eat at the bandwidth to specialized silicon.

So something is definitely up.

Sony just went straightforward with an additional quirk for power.

I seriously doubt MS gimped their console to run Epic, Crytek, and DICE's engines at sub optimal levels. But we'll see.

We don't really see that in any of the leaks though. Both systems have special silicon chips that are dedicated for certain functions (example: video encoders, audio dsps, etc), which should help out, but they are not game changers.

I'm not saying Microsoft "gimped" Durango; it's a powerful console, but it's just less powerful than what Orbis appears to be, by a decent margin.

Deuterium

If you havent noticed it already but thats his schtick. He comes into these threads (rumors/leaks) and then craps all over the discussion saying it's all BS and then leaves. Thats all he does. My last conversation ended with him saying he literally needed to hear the specs of the consoles from MS/Sony (which is fair) but why always crap on these threads? I tried to argue that VGLeaks were confirmed to be accurate hence these threads warrant so much discussion but it's not enough for him. Just let him be, he'll either get tired or he'll get called out more often.

Come on, Artist...that isn't quite fair. While I have qualified these unconfirmed, unofficial reports as "bullshit", I have always been respectful, especially to the forum members here. At least, I hope I have.

And again, I have no problem with healthy speculation, even when it is based upon rumors and unofficial "leaks". However, there are quite a few people who are trashing one system over another, and even going so far as declaring "war won" or "war lost", based upon this information.

I was hoping to interject a bit of sanity and reason...or at the very least, a bit of healthy skepticism to go along with the more than healthy (rampant) speculation.

Drain You

I think Microsoft wants to try to get Kinect to appeal to the core as well as the casual audience. We don't know what Kinect 2 can do yet. If it can do stuff like head tracking, in depth voice recognition, and other things it was originally supposed to do it could be a really cool addition to core games.

Yup, I also believe it will play a key role in OS functions. Which in my uneducated guess will be why they try and justify its inclusion in every SKU sold.

Come on, Artist...that isn't quite fair. While I have qualified these unconfirmed, unofficial reports as "bullshit", I have always been respectful, especially to the forum members here. At least, I hope I have.

And again, I have no problem with healthy speculation, even when it is based upon rumors and unofficial "leaks". However, there are quite a few people who are trashing one system over another, and even going so far as declaring "war won" or "war lost", based upon this information.

I was hoping to interject a bit of sanity and reason...or at the very least, a bit of healthy skepticism to go along with the more than healthy speculation.
People would be doing this if the specs were 100% confirmed so I don't see a bug difference with doing the same over rumors from a site that has been reliable in the past.

I was away for a bit . . .

Wow, DOTA 2 almost triples the next most popular game.

I think the misperception about PCs primarily being the home of console ports stems from the fact that:

a) the PC exclusives that dominate this list generally are not visual spectacles
and
b) GAF likes to talk about visual spectacles, especially when it comes to PC-console comparisons.

Top Bottom