• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video games as an art form.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
video games running GIF

I remember thinking mirrors edge was art, I ran through that game I assume it was meant to be a video game first.

a'la mode

Neo Member
The way I see it, take movies as an example. A movie should not be judged as art not just because it has pretty visuals, but for all the creative and artistic expression in things intrinsic to a movie or the medium as well; composition, cinematography, directing, storytelling, editing, etc etc. As in, the things that make movies movies, and not just a series of pretty scenes one after another. Artistic expression is present even in the cutting room. Of course, not all movies (have to) care about this as much as long as it's serviceable, as they are products just like games. Not everything needs to be an artistic masterpiece in that regard, and it's totally okay to be an entertaining product too.

Similarly, I think, games can be art, but not many games are (and they don't have to be). I think it's much harder for games to be (seen as) art because it's harder to pin down exactly what to look at to find this artistic expression that defines the medium, this thing that is somehow really intrinsic to what a game is, something that only a game can do. Yeah, some games have great graphics, some have great art design, some have great soundtracks - some might even have all of that - but those are not it, not really. And if it was just interactivity, well, a CYOA book isn't much of an art piece is it?

If I had to think of games that are art and show something exceptional through the medium, something that could only exist as a game, I'd probably list some usual suspects like Journey and Disco Elysium. Games that combine visuals, sounds, storytelling, interactivity, etc in a way, where the sum of it all exceeds a point where it becomes an experience only a game could present.

Top Bottom