• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vindictus |OT| - Auto-attacks are out, ass kicking is in.

Lebron

Wren said:
For an MMO its kind of missing the massively multiplayer bit. The only real interaction I have with other players outside of peer to peer dungeons is simply bumping into people at the hub town. As fantastic as this game is it reminds me more of source mod than an actual pay to play (cash shop?) game.
That's why it's just filler till Tera comes out.

1stStrike

Banned
Wow, I just found an exploit for the kobold chief... I can beat him on hard in about 30 seconds without hitting him once...

Oh and my northern pike set + red shield + red sword are all done... i'm at like 373 stones exactly lol, which is my weight limit, so I'm not overweight yet.

Poyunch

1stStrike said:
Wow, I just found an exploit for the kobold chief... I can beat him on hard in about 30 seconds without hitting him once... on hard.

Oh and my northern pike set + red shield + red sword are all done... i'm at like 373 stones exactly lol, which is my weight limit, so I'm not overweight yet.
Do tell. The last time I fought him he just stood there for like 2 or 3 minutes until someone knocked him down. We were just spamming attacks all that time.

Anyway man I was so getting tired of this game because I didn't know BP achievements carried over. I thought everything had to be done at the same time.

At first I was angry that story progression was linked to this system but now, not so much.

1stStrike

Banned
Honestly, I highly encourage you to beat him the legit way. It's so much more rewarding. However, I only needed 1 red kobold metal and he wasn't dropping it, so using this method I beat him 4 times in about half the time it would've taken me. I had already beaten him the legit way like 10 times, so I earned this exploit lol. I totally did it by mistake and while it doesn't work every time, it does work.

You can even do it in more then one spot. I recorded a run with someone where we did it, failed, and then I did it by accident on another spot on the map while I was trying to get away to pop a potion :lol

I'm converting it down (used the in-game video recorder and it works great) since it's 554 mb atm and then I'll put it up so you guys can view it.

"For an MMO its kind of missing the massively multiplayer bit. The only real interaction I have with other players outside of peer to peer dungeons is simply bumping into people at the hub town. As fantastic as this game is it reminds me more of source mod than an actual pay to play (cash shop?) game."

That's because it's not an MMO at all. It'd be like calling Diablo, Titan Quest, etc. an MMO.

eek5

PounchEnvy said:
Do tell. The last time I fought him he just stood there for like 2 or 3 minutes until someone knocked him down. We were just spamming attacks all that time.

Anyway man I was so getting tired of this game because I didn't know BP achievements carried over. I thought everything had to be done at the same time.

At first I was angry that story progression was linked to this system but now, not so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiWwjRVOCf8#t=1m28s

rofl

eek5 said:

Haha, awesome.

That's because it's not an MMO at all. It'd be like calling Diablo, Titan Quest, etc. an MMO.

I'm not too hung up on what its called really. A lot of people play, and you can join up. Good enough for me. I honestly don't have much in the way of experience with MMO/MMORPGs, though. I mean, what I've played, I just run around doing my shit anyway, except the game isn't restricted to a dungeon. Well, like I said, I'm inexperienced in this sort of thing, so don't know what else I might be missing.

"I'm not too hung up on what its called really. A lot of people play, and you can join up. Good enough for me. I honestly don't have much in the way of experience with MMO/MMORPGs, though. I mean, what I've played, I just run around doing my shit anyway, except the game isn't restricted to a dungeon. Well, like I said, I'm inexperienced in this sort of thing, so don't know what else I might be missing."

It's not a diss on the game. I've spent more hours in PSO than 99% of the MMOs I've played (of which I've played a few) and it had a very similar setup to Vindictus (almost identical, really). But if someone goes into this game expecting an MMO then they're going to be a little sour when they find out that it's not at all.

Teknopathetic said:
"I'm not too hung up on what its called really. A lot of people play, and you can join up. Good enough for me. I honestly don't have much in the way of experience with MMO/MMORPGs, though. I mean, what I've played, I just run around doing my shit anyway, except the game isn't restricted to a dungeon. Well, like I said, I'm inexperienced in this sort of thing, so don't know what else I might be missing."

It's not a diss on the game. I've spent more hours in PSO than 99% of the MMOs I've played (of which I've played a few) and it had a very similar setup to Vindictus (almost identical, really). But if someone goes into this game expecting an MMO then they're going to be a little sour when they find out that it's not at all.

I was the one who went around calling it an MMO first, so if anyone is misleading people, it's me. Like I said, my qualifications are pretty bare bones.

Sectus

Wren said:
For an MMO its kind of missing the massively multiplayer bit. The only real interaction I have with other players outside of peer to peer dungeons is simply bumping into people at the hub town. As fantastic as this game is it reminds me more of source mod than an actual pay to play (cash shop?) game.
I actually I prefer how instanced the game is. Open persistent worlds just has too many disadvantages:
-Other people griefing, ganking you, etc
-Waiting for mobs to respawn
-Very very few dynamic elements in the world, just about everything is static
-Rarely a balanced and challenging experience

A game like Vindictus just wouldn't work in a traditional MMO setup anyway. Maybe they could get the core combat mechanics working, but stuff like physics would be thrown out the window.

There's also other things Vindictus does differently I'm very happy about. Like there's no "holy trinity" of classes. The basic MMO setup where you have tanks, DPS and support is just done to death. It also usually ends up with very very dull gameplay where each role only spam specific skills over and over.

I think Vindictus walks all over traditional Diablo-style action RPGs too. I got a feeling it'll be very hard for me to play any other MMO or action RPG after playing this.

Teknopathetic said:

I dunno, I think it would be fair to compare. It may not be the exact same genre, but it's like a relative. The same way Diablo and WoW share many elements and could appeal to the same people. You do questing, looting, monster whacking, socializing, dinging, auction housing and flaming on the publisher's forums.

I'd encourage any MMO player to test out Vindictus and realize that MMO developers has had their head stuck in the ground for the last 6 years when it comes to basic combat mechanic design.

1stStrike

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeJOvHo94OM

There's my video of the kobold chief fight exploit. The first attempt failed thanks to my retarded team mate (the boss was aggro'd onto him and he kept moving to the wrong spot), but it happened at another spot (as shown by the earlier video) completely by accident. I ran into there to get a potion and recoop and he just ran into the building and died :lol

etiolate

Banned
I like the gameplay and the combat element of that. I wonder if it will get tiresome over many levels. Most of the fun, or what separates it, is the environmental physics element. Otherwise its just hack n slash.

I think you will see a movement away from automated attacks in MMOs.

1stStrike

Banned
etiolate said:
I like the gameplay and the combat element of that. I wonder if it will get tiresome over many levels. Most of the fun, or what separates it, is the environmental physics element. Otherwise its just hack n slash.

I think you will see a movement away from automated attacks in MMOs.

Watch my above video when I'm actually fighting the boss... there's some moments on each boat where it's actually quite a challenge. If you try to just hack and slash certain bosses you will get your ass handed to you. Hell, at lvl 23 the gnoll chieftan from boat 1 can still KO me if I'm not careful!

Dreavus

So, is there any actual point to BP, other than advancing the story for specific missions? I finally maxed out all of the Perilous Ruins battles and was hoping for a title or something, but you don't seem to get anything out of it at all.

Is it just a bragging rights thing or am I missing something?

etiolate

Banned
1stStrike said:
Watch my above video when I'm actually fighting the boss... there's some moments on each boat where it's actually quite a challenge. If you try to just hack and slash certain bosses you will get your ass handed to you. Hell, at lvl 23 the gnoll chieftan from boat 1 can still KO me if I'm not careful!

No, I meant the environmental physics separate it from an every day hack n slash. Not that you can win by button mashing.

Xiaoki

Sectus said:
I'd encourage any MMO player to test out Vindictus and realize that MMO developers has had their head stuck in the ground for the last 6 years when it comes to basic combat mechanic design.
But thats all there is: combat. Yeah, thats what you do for most of your time in an MMO but that other stuff breaks up the monotonous dungeon grinding. Even good combat becomes terribly boring after a while.

If Vindictus was a real MMO then it would have dedicated servers and I wouldnt have a week of horrible dungeon runs because of stupid people hosting when they shouldnt. The only time its not laggy death is when I play with my room mate.

I'll check back with Vindictus later, but most likely not, With more important real MMOs like Cataclysm, TOR, Tera and GW2 coming up I wont have time.

Mairu

Xiaoki said:
But thats all there is: combat. Yeah, thats what you do for most of your time in an MMO but that other stuff breaks up the monotonous dungeon grinding. Even good combat becomes terribly boring after a while.

If Vindictus was a real MMO then it would have dedicated servers and I wouldnt have a week of horrible dungeon runs because of stupid people hosting when they shouldnt. The only time its not laggy death is when I play with my room mate.

I'll check back with Vindictus later, but most likely not, With more important real MMOs like Cataclysm, TOR, Tera and GW2 coming up I wont have time.
It's not always "bad hosts", it's Nexon. I played a game with my roommate and he had 1 bar and it was the laggiest game I ever saw on his screen. We're both on the same connection, in a game that's only p2p this shouldn't be any issue. When they did maintenance on Sunday when the servers went up the majority of games were lag-free. By Monday/Tuesday it was back to everything being laggy again. It's Nexon, and hopefully tonight's maintenance might at least do something to improve stability :|

1stStrike

Banned
Honestly, I've never had that much of an interest in the in-game "community". I've met a couple cool people in-game so far, but Vindictus isn't like other MMO's. It's a game where you can go and get something done in 15 minutes.

The polar bear raid takes about 20 or so minutes to do and there's no hour long wait while you wait for people to pile in and figure out which group is doing what, and holy shit one of the healers didn't show up, now we have to go find a random, yada yada yada.

No thanks. Those days are behind me. Also, since the maps aren't quite the same every time, it's at least a bit dynamic, although the boats could use a bit more diversity in their levels.

I'm up to lvl 23 now and I'm definitely enjoying my time in the game. I plan on sticking it out for the long haul so long as nothing drastic changes.

Also, I'm hoping I'll wake up in the morning to see some sort of content patch with this 7 hour maintenance.

Poyunch

I was planning on starting over as Fiona because I do agree that Lann's a bit repetitive and not as deep but after checking out Evie I think I'll just wait and start over with her.

Also the game looks really pretty on the high settings. I set it to the lowest in the beginning just in case but I'll see how far I can push my laptop. I doubt it will have much trouble.

Also does anyone have any Karok gameplay? I haven't found any.

edit: Damn it. Again. :lol

dam..

was gonna go back in game and level to 25. Soloing the Coca cola bear is no joke. had use to 2 goddess grace and all my potions and spears.

Mairu

PounchEnvy said:
I was planning on starting over as Fiona because I do agree that Lann's a bit repetitive and not as deep but after checking out Evie I think I'll just wait and start over with her.

Also the game looks really pretty on the high settings. I set it to the lowest in the beginning just in case but I'll see how far I can push my laptop. I doubt it will have much trouble.

Also does anyone have any Karok gameplay? I haven't found any.

edit: Damn it. Again. :lol
Don't give up on Lann until you at least get to play with Gliding Fury :D

Sectus

Xiaoki said:

Well, what do you do in a normal MMOs? Grind raids? Do repetitive quests where you have to get # amount of random monster drops? Even if the quest design is good, what you'll end up spending 90% of the time in any MMO is combat.

There are some other things you can do in some MMOs like gathering and crafting, but holy hell, that's much more repetitive and dull than the combat. Or spending 10 minutes running to nearest town to sell loot. Most of the tasks in MMOs aren't really fun, just awfully time consuming.

Poyunch

Mairu said:
Well Evie's not going to be coming any time soon and since I've gotten this far into the game's beta I might as well stick with him.

I still want to mess around with the other characters though.

Mairu said:
I'm not. I was going to at first, but now Lann is here to stay for me. I've seen videos and holy shit Lann gets crazy at higher level.

Sectus

Mairu said:
It's not always "bad hosts", it's Nexon. I played a game with my roommate and he had 1 bar and it was the laggiest game I ever saw on his screen. We're both on the same connection, in a game that's only p2p this shouldn't be any issue. When they did maintenance on Sunday when the servers went up the majority of games were lag-free. By Monday/Tuesday it was back to everything being laggy again. It's Nexon, and hopefully tonight's maintenance might at least do something to improve stability :|
I'm running the game through a proxy program which also monitors all the network traffic, that gave me an insight how the game data is sent via the network. Unfortunately, it looks like the setup they have is a mess. It is all player hosted, but all the data goes through Nexon servers. So that just adds another layer of lag (I imagine that would also be costly for Nexon to maintain. Vindictus uses a ridiculous amount of bandwdith compared to normal MMOs. Hell, it even uses a lot compared to normal online shooters).

I'm not sure why they have that setup. It can't be for security, because if you play alone, you barely upload anything. Maybe it's to avoid NAT issues.

Mairu

Sectus said:
I'm running the game through a proxy program which also monitors all the network traffic, that gave me an insight how the game data is sent via the network. Unfortunately, it looks like the setup they have is a mess. It is all player hosted, but all the data goes through Nexon servers. So that just adds another layer of lag (I imagine that would also be costly for Nexon to maintain. Vindictus uses a ridiculous amount of bandwdith compared to normal MMOs. Hell, it even uses a lot compared to normal online shooters).

I'm not sure why they have that setup. It can't be for security, because if you play alone, you barely upload anything. Maybe it's to avoid NAT issues.
I would tell you to make a post on the official forums about it but it would probably get drowned out by boat 3 whining

Sectus

Mairu said:
I would tell you to make a post on the official forums about it but it would probably get drowned out by boat 3 whining
Yeah. I assume Nexon is very much aware of it anyway. They wouldn't setup this kind of system without thinking it through. For all I know, bandwidth is cheap but hosting game servers isn't (which they only have to do for towns).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sectus said:

Did you also uninstall Pando media booster?

I hope they fix it. It's embarrassing to have a game run like a slideshow just with 4 people in a group. I have not lagged like this in a P2P game ever. Vindictus (beta) is bar far the laggiest game I've ever played.

Erasus

Crakatak187 said:
I hope they fix it. It's embarrassing to have a game run like a slideshow just with 4 people in a group. I have not lagged like this in a P2P game ever. Vindictus (beta) is bar far the laggiest game I've ever played.

Netowork lag or Performance/FPS lag?

If it runs like a slideshow then its probably low FPS, i.e your bad computer.

ZoddGutts

Must be Network Lag, I got a good computer and man it lags so bad, it really it's like slideshow. Also the host will have 4 bars in the network performance while the other 3 party members will have 1 bar and if there lucky 1 1/2 bars.

1stStrike

Banned
Well, we'll see if this maintenance fixes anything. I always host because I can't stand lag. I've got a good connection - I was playing with someone in Washington state last night (I'm in NY) and he said that he had barely any lag playing with me. It's just their network setup causing issues IMO.

Edit: No patch or boat 3 after 7 hours of maintenance :(

On the bright side, I solo'd the kobold chief on hard again, except much better then before :eek:

It was a tough fight, but I've got his moves down now. I figured I'd try to cheese it, but I ended up failing lol, so I just fought him legitimately and whooped his ass. Took like 10 minutes, but it was much easier with the red sword. This thing is a beast! I went into it with no secondary weapon either, so I even struggled a bit with the giant worms, but counterattack saved my ass there.

1stStrike said:
Honestly, I've never had that much of an interest in the in-game "community". I've met a couple cool people in-game so far, but Vindictus isn't like other MMO's. It's a game where you can go and get something done in 15 minutes.

The polar bear raid takes about 20 or so minutes to do and there's no hour long wait while you wait for people to pile in and figure out which group is doing what, and holy shit one of the healers didn't show up, now we have to go find a random, yada yada yada.

This is why I'm afraid I won't be able to get into Tera now. The combat in this game is so good plus the physics just adds so much more to the game. You can use the environment to your advantage instead of just attacking head on.

Leatherface

I seen something last night that I've never seen before in the Gnoll Chieftain fight. Someone chained his hammer wielding arm and he was unable to properly swing his weapon or do his attacks. The best part is, the chain didn't break after 10 seconds. Instead it lasted a good 3+ minutes. Anyway, just thought I'd share. I thought it was really cool. I fought this boss like 12 times now and I'v never seen that. This game always seems to surprise me in way way or another. <3 <3

:D

1stStrike

Banned
Leatherface said:
I seen something last night that I've never seen before in the Gnoll Chieftain fight. Someone chained his hammer wielding arm and he was unable to properly swing his weapon or do his attacks. The best part is, the chain didn't break after 10 seconds. Instead it lasted a good 3+ minutes. Anyway, just thought I'd share. I thought it was really cool. I fought this boss like 12 times now and I'v never seen that. This game always seems to surprise me in way way or another. <3 <3

:D

That's pretty cool, though probably a glitch. Just like when the chieftan stands there and doesn't move for like a minute. Experienced that on two bosses so far.

I just hit lvl 24 and got my Giant Polar Bear Conqueror as well as the boots, gloves, ring and pants for my savage leather set (can't get the helm or top right now since I'm unable to get jelly's.......)

And, here's some epic screenshots:

2010_09_22_0016.jpg

2010_09_18_0003.jpg

2010_09_21_0002.jpg

2010_09_22_0002.jpg

2010_09_22_0010.jpg

2010_09_21_0001.jpg

Poor SirCaloye not only died a lot but ruined my sweet barrel throwing screenshot :|

Someone that's savvy in photoshop should totally just collect screenshots and make some HD wallpapers. I'd love to have some Vindictus on my desktop :D

ZoddGutts

Only thing I wish this game had is custom combos. As of right now it's only strike-strike-strike slash or strike-strike-strike-kick. Players being able to choose/build their own combos attacks would make them feel more individualized. That way people won't feel like their playing with a bunch of clones who use the same attacks. But I guess it would be to much for the developers to animated a whole bunch of different attacks for each class character.

Davedough

Ok, I'm still pretty n00b because I dont have a lot of time to dedicate to the game and only put in about an hour at a time. I'm still a lowly level 8. I just recently got Thousand Needles with Lann and I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed by it. What am I doing wrong?

I used to be able to run into a crowd and spin and flail my swords with reckless abandon and not really ever have to worry about stamina unless I was smashing or dashing. Now that I picked up Thousand Needles, my stamina drains insanely quick and in the middle of fights I'm having to run around until it recharges. It almost seems like that skill gimped me. Is there a way to turn it off or anything or am I just using it wrong?

1stStrike

Banned
Davedough said:
Ok, I'm still pretty n00b because I dont have a lot of time to dedicate to the game and only put in about an hour at a time. I'm still a lowly level 8. I just recently got Thousand Needles with Lann and I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed by it. What am I doing wrong?

I used to be able to run into a crowd and spin and flail my swords with reckless abandon and not really ever have to worry about stamina unless I was smashing or dashing. Now that I picked up Thousand Needles, my stamina drains insanely quick and in the middle of fights I'm having to run around until it recharges. It almost seems like that skill gimped me. Is there a way to turn it off or anything or am I just using it wrong?

Thousand needles will keep going until you stop clicking - then right click (smash) for the finisher. So, if you don't want to do thousand needles, as soon as it starts just right click.

Leatherface

1stStrike said:
Thousand needles will keep going until you stop clicking - then right click (smash) for the finisher. So, if you don't want to do thousand needles, as soon as it starts just right click.

He brings up a good point though. For a skill that uses so much stamina I feel like the damage output is really poor. Hopefully this gets adjusted a bit. Also, I like what ZoddGutts suggested. This would be a great way to really suck in players. Not that I'm not having fun already, but this would definitely amp up the fun factor for me.

Still a game like this is a great start. It's almost exactly what I've been wanting for so many years and I know it'll only get better from here. :D

Davedough said:

What 1stStrike said, but also end the combo with a smash attack when you're almost out of stamina. It's good damage if you ask me. Lann tears through bosses when its stunned.

1stStrike

Banned
I've only played a Lann up to level 10, but so far I find him quite good really. Those that complain about him are probably playing him wrong TBH. I was just eating through mobs and bosses ridiculously quick. Also, if you use the various throws, smashes, etc. available to you it's pretty hand. Hell, sometimes a LLR is better then building up to LLLLR

1stStrike said:
I've only played a Lann up to level 10, but so far I find him quite good really. Those that complain about him are probably playing him wrong TBH. I was just eating through mobs and bosses ridiculously quick. Also, if you use the various throws, smashes, etc. available to you it's pretty hand. Hell, sometimes a LLR is better then building up to LLLLR

Fiona's wall smash is a bit more powerful though. Lann's wall smash can't take out nearby enemies, while Fiona's can.

I play Lann by using his attack as a defense as well. Fighting and defending (by defend I mean dodging) chain up faster than Fiona. The example you gave is exactly how I play. Attack and spin away from the boss. If he's stunned, go in for a long combo.

Top Bottom