• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virginia Review Thread - David Lynch: "My cow is not pretty, but it is pretty to me."

Because it doesn't represent what that game (or other media) is and what it's trying to say and do.

That person (not being a fan) imo. is not capable of seeing full picture, and what that game has to offer. Again it's just one opinion, so it's not a big deal but like i said if i don't like recing games in general i'm not gonna review them because my review might turn out to be pointless.
It wouldn't be pointless. Because there are racers or RPGs or [insert genre] that can appeal to players who may not be fans of those genres, that can act as gateway games, or break the ice for someone and change their opinion of a genre

The impressions of the unfamiliar are valuable

It's happened to me more than once. There was a time when I hated hard games, didn't care for RPGs or strategy games. Thankfully I decided to try Demons Souls, Fallout 3, and XCOM despite my hesitations and unfamiliarity with the genres

I don't like Final Fantasy but Tactics is awesome. Can't stand racing/driving sims, but Spintires and Eurotruck are really fun. Never played a space sim or 6DOF shooter until Elite Dangerous and Sublevel Zero, now I really like those genres

chadskin

My biggest gripe with the Destructoid review is the "Is it a game?" discussion it opens up with and continues throughout the review. I thought we were over this.

My biggest gripe with the Destructoid review is the "Is it a game?" discussion it opens up with and continues throughout the review. I thought we were over this.
I don't think it's that simple, and she does a good job articulating her perspective and why it's hard for her to decide the best way to describe Viriginia.

There's a difference between "it's not a game" and describing the thin line between "interactive movie" and a minimalist adventure

Moobabe

Because it doesn't represent what that game (or other media) is and what it's trying to say and do.
That person (not being a fan) imo. is not capable of seeing full picture, and what that game has to offer. Again it's just one opinion, so it's not a big deal but like i said if i don't like recing games in general i'm not gonna review them because my review might turn out to be pointless.

Edit: And i am not saying that this review is.

Baddy has already pointed out that she's reviewed games in a similar vein to this one.

But, regardless, how would her opinion be worth less, hypothetically, if she never played this type of game before?

I don't play fighting games or strategy games very often - but reviews from people who play those games exclusively will mean nothing to me at all, I would need a perspective from someone who's similar to me; a passing interest in the genre but willing to play high quality titles.

So if the new Street Fighter comes out and is slammed by fighting game enthusiasts, but heralded by casual fans and reviewers then I might give that review more weight since it falls in line with my gaming habits.

Also - above everything else - it's one person's opinion on the game.

Baddy has already pointed out that she's reviewed games in a similar vein to this one.

But, regardless, how would her opinion be worth less, hypothetically, if she never played this type of game before?

I don't play fighting games or strategy games very often - but reviews from people who play those games exclusively will mean nothing to me at all, I would need a perspective from someone who's similar to me; a passing interest in the genre but willing to play high quality titles.

So if the new Street Fighter comes out and is slammed by fighting game enthusiasts, but heralded by casual fans and reviewers then I might give that review more weight since it falls in line with my gaming habits.

Also - above everything else - it's one person's opinion on the game.
Reminds me of when remasters of old classics come out and 99% of the reviews focus on the nostalgic appeal and how it's as good as you remember

But I never played Resident Evil (I have now). What does nostalgia and that classic gameplay mean to me? Can I get a review from someone playing it for the first time too, who doesn't have experience with classic RE?

chadskin

I don't think it's that simple, and she does a good job articulating her perspective and why it's hard for her to decide the best way to describe Viriginia.

There's a difference between "it's not a game" and describing the thin line between "interactive movie" and a minimalist adventure

It's fine to highlight a game's light gameplay elements and point out if you think it doesn't take advantage of this medium, like the TechRaptor 2.5/10 review did as well.

But this meta-discussion...
It's a game, I guess?

What defines a game? Is it the interactive elements, the experiences we take from it? Is it the ability to tell a story via immersion, or the impact it leaves us with? All of the above?
...is really rather tiring to me in 2016.

I played the Steam demo, and even though I was anticipating it, the release still crept up on me! Was surprised at the price, so I'm just gunna buy it, even though I've already got plenty on my plate at the moment. I want more cool games like this to come out! Hope it's good!

Hm, the Tech Raptor review brings up an interesting point.

In Virginia, you will get the story Variable State is telling at the exact pace Variable State wants to tell it. It’s truly a baffling decision, one that makes Dear Esther look like Unreal Tournament in comparison, and makes me wonder why they even bothered making Virginia a video game if they weren’t going to take advantage of literally anything that makes the medium unique. Say what you will about the games of David Cage or Telltale, but at least they give players some amount of agency over a situation and the choices the character makes. The player at least has some amount of input in their character, and can even forge their own path based on what the character would do, or their own moral compass. You will find no such opportunities in Virginia.

So basically it's completely on rails and there are no choices whatsoever. There's a collectible here and there but that's it. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing as a tight narrative experience is better than one with choices with no weight. Take the numerous decisions in Telltale games where the plot does not change at all, for example. This illusion of choice is jarring and takes me out of the narrative.

A bit longer to take in Virginia's sights and sounds would be appreciated though.

Aaron D.

I downloaded the Demo ready to be sold, but found the camera controls to be incredibly sluggish & swimmy. It detracted from my experience big time and other than mouse sensitivity I didn't see any options to turn off mouse-smoothing. That and head-bobbing was WAY to exaggerated.

It's a shame 'cause the game looked gorgeous and engaging otherwise.

benzopil

So basically it's completely on rails and there are no choices whatsoever. There's an collectible here and there but that's it.
Yes, but after finishing the game I have only
trophies out of
. And I picked some collectibles, so it's not like every collectible has it's only trophy. It's something different, and I'll start my second playthrough to find out what it is.

I like the premise, the trailer looked cool, the reviews have been great, and it's only $10.

Bought this morning, and will play once I'm done through Firewatch (which I'm currently enjoying quite a bit).

Humdinger

Look forward to playing it. The influences are intriguing. It's something creative that we haven't seen before. I'm in.

dugdug

Banned
Lynch is my favourite director, so this should appeal to me.

Same here, but, I'm always wary of game journos who compare a game to his work, because they only ever mention Twin Peaks.

I had this same problem when everyone was saying the same about Deadly Premonition. Like, is it *really* like Twin Peaks? Or does it just a weird mystery takes place in a small remote American town?

Same here, but, I'm always wary of game journos who compare a game to his work, because they only ever mention Twin Peaks.

I had this same problem when everyone was saying the same about Deadly Premonition. Like, is it *really* like Twin Peaks? Or does it just a weird mystery takes place in a small remote American town?

Assuming you haven't played it and found out for yourself, it is very much like Twin Peaks. It's basically Twin Peaks: The Game. I'm talking about Deadly Premonition here, by the way.

Firewatch was being compared to Twin Peaks before it launched and they don't have much in common, frankly. They...both take place in a secluded area and have a mystery?

dugdug

Banned
Assuming you haven't played it and found out for yourself, it is very much like Twin Peaks. It's basically Twin Peaks: The Game.

Firewatch was being compared to Twin Peaks before it launched and they don't have much in common, frankly. They...both take place in a secluded area and have a mystery?

See, man, I want to believe, but, that's *exactly* what people said about Deadly Premonition. I'm more interested in this than ever trying to go back to DP, though.

This is by no means a slight against the game itself, but when I read something is 'Lynchian' I cringe a bit. His style is so utterly particular and singular to his character, there is no way to imitate that. His own originals border on the potentially-shit line if it weren't for his weird, invisible threads holding the rickety pieces together in some magical fashion.

Movie nerd analogy, but it's like when people describe Brian DePalma's work as Hitchcockian...it doesn't work. When I read someone else trying to be 'Lynchian' I have to assume it's willfully and aimlessly obtuse by trying its best to be weird like that disaster of a film Lost River that Ryan Gosling directed.

This is by no means a slight against the game itself, but when I read something is 'Lynchian' I cringe a bit. His style is so utterly particular and singular to his character, there is no way to imitate that. His own originals border on the potentially-shit line if it weren't for his weird, invisible threads holding the rickety pieces together in some magical fashion.

Moving nerd analogy, but it's like when people describe Brian DePalma's work as Hitchcockian...it doesn't work. When I read someone else trying to be 'Lynchian' I have to assume it's willfully and aimlessly obtuse by trying its best to be weird like that disaster of a film Lost River that Ryan Gosling directed.

this is a very good post :) ...

See, man, I want to believe, but, that's *exactly* what people said about Deadly Premonition. I'm more interested in this than ever trying to go back to DP, though.

It's rough around the edges but if you ever wanted to play Twin Peaks, Deadly Premonition is your best bet. You've got your playable detective, eccentric cast, looming mysteries, genuinely surprising twists and more weirdness than you can shake a stick at. Give it some patience and I think you'll be tickled.

To me, it wasn't just the mystery in the small remote town that made DP feel Lynchian, it was that sense of everything being just slightly 'off'. I think some of that is accidental - the budgetary constraints leading to stilted animation and odd line delivery - but it does have that same sense of everything being shifted a few inches away from normality.

Virginia has something of Lynch in the way that it sometimes has the quality of a waking dream. It has surreal sights and unexplained recurring motifs and at times you can't always be sure what you're seeing is real or a dream or a hallucination.

I think both have Lynchian qualities, more so than a lot of games to which that description is often applied. (Alan Wake, for example.)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I will admit something, while I do use the terms, I find myself not agreeing with most "X is like Y" comparisons, especially of very personally high-detailed abstract works like what Lynch works on. An example even in gaming (and ironic here as David Lynch was one of the biggest sources of inspiration for this series) is Silent Hill. Silent Hill did good in taking it all in its own direction though, even though David Lynch was the series biggest inspiration, it wasn't ever really egging on it and made it its own thing.

And then comes the problem, I see so many people compare games to 'being like Silent Hill', but very few even come close to really capture the feel of Silent Hill. Part of the brilliance of these works like David Lynch's films and Silent Hill's games is they are incredibly enjoyable and unique but could easily fall apart in others hands, and the attempts to imitate reflect this again and again. They're missing the sort of talent and imagination that the originals had to give it a certain feel and allure, and since the original works are so unorthodox and come together through a very personal style that is far more complex than just "lol its weird/foggy/whatever", none really manage to capture it again.

HOWEVER, I don't mind the term Lynchian in itself. I've actually seen a number of works that aren't exactly the same, but enjoyable where some apply that tag to it. In fact, I have found I've enjoyed about every game that cites Twin Peaks as an inspiration, despite it never really fully feeling like Twin Peaks. I don't think anyone's even attempted to make a full-on take of Lynch's other works (though Lone Survivor did have a direct Mulholland Drive reference, and the Silent Hill series did pull more from Lynch's other works than Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive all did have some inspiration evident in the first four Silent Hill games, including direct calls to Blue Velvet in SH2 and Lost Highway in SH4).

I'm not really as bothered by its usage since I know what it means, and I guess it makes a lot of players think of David Lynch, Twin Peaks in particular. That's fair and good, my personal expectations isn't that it'll be as good as Twin Peaks or really capture the feel or quality of it, but might have a few similar things going for it, which I'm willing to give a swing. I do think Virginia will be good standing on its own.

The David Lynch quote I put in the topic title was kind of tongue-in-cheek, since every almost about every Virginia review so far mentions Lynch, and that quote seemed appropriate to me.

Dusk Golem

Also hate to double post, but added some more reviews to the OP. One I know some were looking forward to is up now, Rock, Paper, Shotgun is Positive on the game.
So, do you want to try a game that is “strange and confounding”? If it was up to me, everyone would play this. Then they would tell me not just what they thought of it, but what a certain item, location or actor signified, because an important part of Virginia may well be what you bring to it. I know many won’t like the idea of traipsing through its scenes or passively watching its unfoldings and, sure, if you think you won’t enjoy any of that, you’re right on the money. But if you’re a little bit curious, or if you enjoyed any of the games with which it shares its DNA, Virginia may be one of the oddest and most fascinating things you’ve played in a long, long time. Vivid Virginia is a hell of a lot more than plain old “walking.”

I'll be sleeping some, but will add any reviews to the OP that people post into this topic.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Understandable, but why does it matter? Call it an interactive movie game. Sometimes it seems as if the reviewers could be trying to "knock" it for not being a traditional game.

bluexy

It really is that simple. "Is it even a game?" isn't criticism, it's an insult. It's claiming that a game does not even deserve to be criticized on even footing with other games.

There are valid criticisms to be made about games like Victoria, criticisms like low interactivity, lack of meaningful interactivity, whether the story driven elements overwhelm the gameplay, etc. But "Is it even a game?" offers none of that.

What a spiteful, lowly thing to say. You know, I used to go to Destructoid for their awesome perspectives on niche titles. This though? I can't believe an editor actually published those words.

Shiggy

After playing the demo I can definitely see where Destructoid's is coming from. I still take issue with their argument that it's not really a game.

At $10, I'm in. I've enjoyed the few "walking simulators" I've played. And the discussion about it being "Lynchian," or not, is also enough to sell me. I also can't argue with the playtime. Sometimes a quick game is a good break from the good ol' backlog.

stuminus3

My name is Annie. I've been with Dale and Laura. The good Dale is in the lodge and can't leave. Write it in your diary.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The Firewatch comparisons to Lynch were way more inappropriate than they are here. That was just this ridiculous, meme-level thing that probably had a lot to do with the fact that the game's story was not known, but still very cringey. Never underestimate the internet's need to post an Agent Cooper meme whenever possible. But with this game, at least there's a clear influence.

Dusk Golem

The Firewatch comparisons to Lynch were way more inappropriate than they are here. That was just this ridiculous, meme-level thing that probably had a lot to do with the fact that the game's story was not known, but still very cringey. Never underestimate the internet's need to post an Agent Cooper meme whenever possible. But with this game, at least there's a clear influence.

There's good and bad with this. The bright side is it's setting up that Lynch may be remembered even after his death as one of the greats of horror and surrealist work, he hasn't made a film in 10 years and is still relevant, and if anything has only gotten more popular in recent years (there is a new season of Twin Peaks coming out, but this was starting even before this was close to being announced). His works seem like they'll be remembered (rightfully so, in my opinion), and has inspired a lot of creators. The downside is we'll probably see "Lynchian" get thrown around more and more over time, and it start to mean more general things that stuck with people (ie, anything with Cthulhu is now 'Lovecraftian').

This is a general thought since I haven't played Virginia yet (will later today), and I fully believe this may be a great stand-alone experience (and see how it fairs to other 'Lynchian' games for how much it does channel that), but I expect to see the term get circulated more as time goes on, as it does seem Lynch is on his way to being remembered as one of the great pools of inspiration for people to try something different who established a very unique personal style that stood out.

It really is that simple. "Is it even a game?" isn't criticism, it's an insult. It's claiming that a game does not even deserve to be criticized on even footing with other games.

There are valid criticisms to be made about games like Victoria, criticisms like low interactivity, lack of meaningful interactivity, whether the story driven elements overwhelm the gameplay, etc. But "Is it even a game?" offers none of that.

What a spiteful, lowly thing to say. You know, I used to go to Destructoid for their awesome perspectives on niche titles. This though? I can't believe an editor actually published those words.
I don't think the question is inherently an insult. Context and response decides that. Considering how diverse and varied the medium has become, especially with the advent of mobile and then again with VR, asking "is this a game" or "what defines a game" is a necessary question, not because the answer should be yes but to understand why people might say no.

Glad to hear the team's effort over the years has paid off, been following them since 2014 when I first got to play it. Cool dudes.

Thanks for the OP and quotes, Dusk Golem!

Top Bottom