• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virginia Review Thread - David Lynch: "My cow is not pretty, but it is pretty to me."

Just finished it. Well, I say 'finished', cos i am not done with this: I got no idea what's up, and am interested in seeing if another play illuminates wtf is going on.

TB14

Just finished it. Well, I say 'finished', cos i am not done with this: I got no idea what's up, and am interested in seeing if another play illuminates wtf is going on.

WUGNg3FuhiywU.gif

xrnzaaas

Same here. The game clearly is intended to be played again because I've only unlocked like 4 or 5 trophies.

Not saying this about any of you but I find it hilarious if collectibles are the only thing that are needed for something to be considered a game :p

If only Depression Quest, 30 FoL, The Graveyard, or Proteus had collectibles, there wouldn't be an outrage :D

Why do small, indie-type games like this almost always control poorly? I'm playing the demo on PS4 and the performance is stuttery, and the floaty controls are a nuisance. Combined it's like I'm controlling an alcoholic. Maybe they were intentionally going for the alcoholic detective stereotype. Lol.

I can look past it because it's only £7, it's short, and the premise has my interest, but still.

labx

Banned
The thing that bothers me about Destructoid review is "It's a game, I guess?" That's tacky and rude. If the critic, don't think its a game, fine, the review is well written and trough all the review it is clear that the reviewer don't think that Virginia is a game. So why that tittle? That's not very professional. And why if she doesn't thinks Virginia isn't a game, she score it with the same standard that a video game? If for the reviewer Virginia is a "gaming mechanism that provides slightly more immersion than watching a movie", why the same rules apply? The classy thing to do (for me) if I had the same impression that hers is not giving a video-game review score but make a note or a disclaimer.

Sounds like the destructoid review is for me. I think all these walking simulators are terrible video games, you want to be classified as a video game then you should be rated as one. If you don't offer any meaningful gameplay you should be destroyed, I play to interact, not watch a movie.

Aaron D.

Sounds like the destructoid review is for me. I think all these walking simulators are terrible video games, you want to be classified as a video game then you should be rated as one. If you don't offer any meaningful gameplay you should be destroyed, I play to interact, not watch a movie.

LOL.

It's like 2013 all over again.

Thanks for the laugh.

Kurdel

Banned
I'd argue that a site like AV Club probably knows and understands the term and meaning probably better than a gaming site, so I'd trust their judgement on a game's cinematic influences

Seeing it was AV club actually reassured me of the use, and hyped me for this.

wouwie

Why do small, indie-type games like this almost always control poorly? I'm playing the demo on PS4 and the performance is stuttery, and the floaty controls are a nuisance. Combined it's like I'm controlling an alcoholic. Maybe they were intentionally going for the alcoholic detective stereotype. Lol.

I can look past it because it's only £7, it's short, and the premise has my interest, but still.

I tried the demo on PS4 and there was something that made me feel a bit uneasy while playing. It seems like a combination of low framerate, moving cursor while standing still, weird acceleration/deceleration while moving/stopping cursor and excessive head bobbing. It's a shame since the game looked rather interesting but i'm skipping this one.

joms5

Going to try this on the weekend.

I'm fine with walking simulators as long as they give you stuff to read, pickup and explore. Plus they need to have an interesting story.

Will post impressions when I finish.

all these "im finished and dont know whats going on" posts are talking me out if it.

im frankly tired of games without conclusions, even "lynchian" ones (stares angerily at mankind divided")

Oneself

It ran well on my experience, only one area (which you visit more than once) had some clear big frame drops. Other than that I had no trouble tbh
Yep. It's playable but often you feel like the engine is really struggling, especially when rotating.

Thanks guys. I guess that, if I was able to play through Firewatch on PS4 at launch and enjoy it, I'll be OK with Virginia.

?

xrnzaaas

I haven't played prepatch Firewatch but Virginia doesn't crash and doesn't have any serious graphical glitches. If you can deal with the crappy framerate (I swear it feels like it's way below 20 sometimes) you should be good.

all these "im finished and dont know whats going on" posts are talking me out if it.

im frankly tired of games without conclusions, even "lynchian" ones (stares angerily at mankind divided")

It sounds like there is a conclusion, but it will make you think and ponder instead of "oh ok, I'll forget that in a week". One review (Game Debate) called it a "satisfying, thought-provoking conclusion" compared to something like Firewatch.

Thanks guys. I guess that, if I was able to play through Firewatch on PS4 at launch and enjoy it, I'll be OK with Virginia.

?

This is worse than Firewatch performance-wise, even before it was patched. Controls are slightly worse (Firewatch has really strong acceleration too, and the vertical aiming is slower than the horizontal iirc). Download the demo and give it a try.

Kyonashi

Was fully prepared to drop £14.99 on this game, £6.29 is a steal. Reviews seem overall like i'm gonna love it, can't wait to tear into it.

Another review:

Cubed3: 8/10

While extremely confusing at times, Virginia manages to keep players glued to their screens thanks to the wonderful scenery and camera work, mixed with a wonderful story that is to some degree up to those at the helm to interpret. While to some it might be rather annoying to be trapped in silence, never getting a true grasp of what is happening, the pay-off of this style of storytelling allows the adventure to make up for that. Few games manage to capture the mood as well as this one, and some of the surrealistic segments are truly disturbing, making people question the line between reality and imagination, and even whether or not there is actually one to begin with. Virginia is a game that is easy to recommend to anyone who wants to experience something that is truly outside of the ordinary in the industry and truly flexes its creative muscles.

epmode

Er, why are they advising me to play this at 30 FPS? Does going over 30 break some stuff?

edit: The devs wrote this on the Steam forum:

30fps is how the creative team feel the game looks best. But we realise people have strong feelings on this subject. In the settings it is possible to change to 60fps or uncapped, according to individual preference.

So it's an aesthetic decision, not technical. And they provide the option to bypass the cap. No complaints here.

NeoRaider

Er, why are they advising me to play this at 30 FPS? Does going over 30 break some stuff?

Afaik no it doesn't.
Develooers said that game is "designed" to be played at 30fps. Something to do with animations i think. But together with that awful motion blur it looks disgusting. I am not sure why would anyone do that.

Even though most of these types of games aren't for me either, the rest of your post is complete and utter nonsense. Your definition of what constitutes a video game is extremely narrow and outdated.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Tell me something is like Twin Peaks and I'll play it.
If you're into gratuitous comparisons, it's struck me much more to share an atmosphere with Silence of the Lambs as I start to play it. The uncomfortably close emotional element of that movie for sure, the music is similar, and definitely it being about a female's perspective in the FBI. The Twin Peaks thing is something I just don't see here.

Bigrx1

Banned

cool story, well you go find something that you can "interact" with to your acceptable level and I'll enjoy this little 10 dollar experience for what it is and not worry if it fits exactly into some gray definition of "video game".

If you're into gratuitous comparisons, it's struck me much more to share an atmosphere with Silence of the Lambs as I start to play it. The uncomfortably close emotional element of that movie for sure, the music is similar, and definitely it being about a female's perspective in the FBI. The Twin Peaks thing is something I just don't see here.

There's some pretty overt nods though, such as
the buffalo apparition being analogous to the white horse Sarah Palmer sees in her vision from TP, also the VERY on the nose lounge singer in the townie bar sounding quite similar to Julee Cruise (lounge singer in TP)

Overall I'd agree though, the general tone is kind of it's own thing blended with some X-Files, obv the Thirty Flights inspiration, and yeah some Silence of the Lambs for sure.

Oneself

This is worse than Firewatch performance-wise, even before it was patched. Controls are slightly worse (Firewatch has really strong acceleration too, and the vertical aiming is slower than the horizontal iirc). Download the demo and give it a try.
Bought already. The demo is still nowhere to be found on the NA store anyways. =)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is anyone else getting horrible frame pacing when using a controller on PC?

I've tried DXTory, RivaTuner, setting the game to 30 or 60 fps... and moving the viewpoint around using the controller feels just awful. It almost feels like 10fps. What is going on with this game?

Top Bottom