• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Dariso

Neo Member
$45 is a great price for the full game, Don't know if this has been mentioned, but apparently you can't play one the single player modes, "special sparring" without having all the dlc.
Haunts has the good fortune of having a final copy of the Xbox360 version at least, but doesn’t have any of the Customization DLC, which limits stuff he can show or do- obviously he can’t customize any of the fighters, and he can’t play the Single Player ‘Special Sparring‘ mode.
Apparently Special Sparring REQUIRES you have ALL the Character Customization DLC packs, or you can’t play it (since the mode needs to use the Character Customization DLC to outfit the Army of Opponents you’re going up against).

http://www.thelonegamer.net/dlc/vf5-preview-stream-from-iplaywinner/

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ugh; "special sparring" sounds like Kumite mode from the first version of VF4 for PS2. Where you find an army of edit opponents with custom names and tweaked behavior.

It seems like a rip there that you cannot say, download compatibility packs to let you SEE other people's costumes and play the kumite mode.

Granted, the total price isn't bad, but locking a single player mode does suck.

If anyone's Japanese is up to snuff, there is a pretty cool app I found on the android market place a couple weeks ago by the VF player Ks by Ks. Just search for "VF5FS"

Its actually several apps that give out some frame break downs for the characters (one app per character). From the top of my head it mentions, the level of the hit (high, mid, low) start up frames, frame advantage on hit/guard/counter hit, damage and any special notes. You need to press the menu button to see the different groups of attacks (P, K, K+G, P+G, P+K and special stances)

Its a nice little resource to have I imagine. I will keep it around a little bit once the game comes out and see if it is something practical for me in the long run.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
If anyone's Japanese is up to snuff, there is a pretty cool app I found on the android market place a couple weeks ago by the VF player Ks by Ks. Just search for "VF5FS"

Its actually several apps that give out some frame break downs for the characters (one app per character). From the top of my head it mentions, the level of the hit (high, mid, low) start up frames, frame advantage on hit/guard/counter hit, damage and any special notes. You need to press the menu button to see the different groups of attacks (P, K, K+G, P+G, P+K and special stances)

Its a nice little resource to have I imagine. I will keep it around a little bit once the game comes out and see if it is something practical for me in the long run.

I have the app myself, and it's pretty cool, but the game already has a build-in frame window so you can get all of that info without referencing outside materials. Still, I think it's a good thing to have if you want to look something up real quick without booting up the game.

After playing this game at UFGT 8 I'll have to say this game is a steal. The game runs so smooth on both consoles and the animation is fluent. My favorite stage is the Sumo Wrestling Arena. The crowd is very active. I can't wait for it to drop.

Oichi

who are you going to be raping me with in this game? : (

I'm gonna be learning Lei-Fei and Jacky from scratch on console, and continuing to improve my Jean, Goh and Akira so you can probably scrap a few wins off of me. ;) I probably won't be using Taka online, I'll save my baby for the arcades. <3

AAK

Bounds have also been reanimated and tweaked so that there are now 2 types of bounds instead of one.

So what are the limits of this? Is it like Tekken where you can only do one bound per combo? Or can you use as many bounds as the hit animation and juggle properties will allow you? If the latter, how does the system prevent infinites of repeated bounds when you're at the wall?

Oichi

So what are the limits of this? Is it like Tekken where you can only do one bound per combo? Or can you use as many bounds as the hit animation and juggle properties will allow you? If the latter, how does the system prevent infinites of repeated bounds when you're at the wall?

A move that bounds will only bound once during a combo. In the first version of Final Showdown you could do 2 big bounds using the same move but they removed that in the newest version (the one the console version is based on). So now if you use a bound-inducing move again in a combo, it'll just plant them to the ground and the combo will end.

However, you can use all of your bound-inducing moves in the same combo, so long as they're different moves. Each character has 1 big bound and 1 small bound move, although some have more than one (Lion, Jacky, I forget who else)

Here's an example of Lion using all of his bound moves in a combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A7HK_Baf0g

AAK

A move that bounds will only bound once during a combo. In the first version of Final Showdown you could do 2 big bounds using the same move but they removed that in the newest version (the one the console version is based on). So now if you use a bound-inducing move again in a combo, it'll just plant them to the ground and the combo will end.

However, you can use all of your bound-inducing moves in the same combo, so long as they're different moves. Each character has 1 big bound and 1 small bound move, although some have more than one (Lion, Jacky, I forget who else)

Here's an example of Lion using all of his bound moves in a combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A7HK_Baf0g

ah OK thanks. I assume, Sarah as well.

mrpug

Neo Member
Day one...

...as long as that single player "special sparring" mode isn't a vital part to practicing vs. comps offline. in that case, it would be a insert wtfisthisbullshit.jpg

Blunt

Banned
Haven't played a VF game since the Saturn days but I'm on the look out for a new fighting game summer-jam.

Day one for the game. The DLC? Might wait for a sale.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Day one...

...as long as that single player "special sparring" mode isn't a vital part to practicing vs. comps offline. in that case, it would be a insert wtfisthisbullshit.jpg

You're going to be spending all your lab time in training mode, regardless of whether you've unlocked special sparring or not.

Other single-player modes are Arcade, Score Attack and License Challenge.

soakrates

Holy shit. I just now got around to watching the last part of that stream archive. That Lei was on point. /totallynotbiasedtowardmymainnosiree

Also, was anyone able to get a sense of how VF5FS was received at UFGT8? The stream supposedly liked it, but given the usual stream monster attitude about 3D fighters, I have a hard time believing that.

fionel

Been playing soul calibur forever and love the mind game involved, but my friend kept telling me that virtua fighter is similar but the superior FTG. I never really tried VF5 coz I only have PS3 and VF5 on PS3 has no online, but now i'm gonna pick this up day 1!

"Also, was anyone able to get a sense of how VF5FS was received at UFGT8? The stream supposedly liked it, but given the usual stream monster attitude about 3D fighters, I have a hard time believing that."

I think once the big damage combos started rolling in, a large part of the stream chat was "hype." There's always going to be the "WHERE'S MARVEL/SF4?!?!!! GET THIS SHIT OFF" dudes, though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Also, was anyone able to get a sense of how VF5FS was received at UFGT8? The stream supposedly liked it, but given the usual stream monster attitude about 3D fighters, I have a hard time believing that.

I think it'll end up like KOF, where people genuinely enjoy watching high-level play but still feel too intimidated to put in any time with the game themselves. Hopefully the convenience/price point means they'll at least buy it, even if they're too afraid to play it.

Last VF I played was VF4 evolution for ps2, using pad with sidestep macros and other 1 button throw combination. Now to use stick with 3 buttons. I'm ready.

I think it'll end up like KOF, where people genuinely enjoy watching high-level play but still feel too intimidated to put in any time with the game themselves. Hopefully the convenience/price point means they'll at least buy it, even if they're too afraid to play it.

The tutorial mode is suppose to be awesome. That should get more players to learn, hopefully.

"I think it'll end up like KOF, where people genuinely enjoy watching high-level play but still feel too intimidated to put in any time with the game themselves. Hopefully the convenience/price point means they'll at least buy it, even if they're too afraid to play it."

KOF has raw booty cheek netcode working against it.

$45 is a great price for the full game

I guess by industry standards it's alright but personally I don't think so.

I mean it's cool the game itself is only $15 and the two DLC are optional, but I bought VF5 at full retail and don't like paying for these upgraded versions which have become standard operating procedure in the fighting game genre.

VF5 PS3 was already bare bones with no online. So I'm having to pay twice to get the full experience. I'm no expert player, and don't know anyone IRL into fighting games so without online, the game got old fast. VF4 on PS2 was much better as a stand alone single player game.

For $15 I'm in, but I refuse to buy the DLC. That's a lot of extra money to charge for costumes and items.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The tutorial mode is suppose to be awesome. That should get more players to learn, hopefully.

Yeah, that's one of the things that even casual fans appreciate and immediately associate with VF, but the whole "I hear you have to spend a thousand hours in the lab with a single player just to learn all their moves!" stuff persists, even in the face of top-level players telling them it's bullshit.

It plagues all the 3D fighters, even more casual stuff like SC, but VF in particular suffers from that sort of reputation more than most.

I think one thing this game has going for it is that, because VF has been so irrelevant in the west, a majority of the players are going to be at the bottom rung of skill level, making a majority of matches for newer players pretty even. I don't think it's going to be a case of brand new players getting absolutely smashed day 1 by a bunch of veterans and then getting discouraged.

kunonabi

Yeah, that's one of the things that even casual fans appreciate and immediately associate with VF, but the whole "I hear you have to spend a thousand hours in the lab with a single player just to learn all their moves!" stuff persists, even in the face of top-level players telling them it's bullshit.

It plagues all the 3D fighters, even more casual stuff like SC, but VF in particular suffers from that sort of reputation more than most.

It really is too bad that VF has that rep. Offense really isn't that complicated once you learn the rules and the general flow. Sure knowing how to maximize your damage with character and stance specific combos are important but you can get by without them in the beginning. It's really creating good habits and having disciplined defense that requires more attention in the beginning. I had one friend who thought about giving it a shot but he just got daunted by the game's reputation.

alstein

That's bullshit. Is there survival at least?

Anyway check this shit out:

Can you say comeback combo?

Combo was breakable in two points, not true combo.

When I was at FR, I heard folks talk about KOF the same way they talk about VF in terms of this. These guys may have been pot monsters, but they were willing to pony up to travel to FR. They thought I was some weird alien because I told them I felt more comfortable playing KOF and VF over SF.

The only explanation I can think of is that VF requires such a different mindset then SF, it's playing the person vs playing the character- that mindset may throw off many players who aren't used to that.

I think one thing this game has going for it is that, because VF has been so irrelevant in the west, a majority of the players are going to be at the bottom rung of skill level, making a majority of matches for newer players pretty even. I don't think it's going to be a case of brand new players getting absolutely smashed day 1 by a bunch of veterans and then getting discouraged.

This may be true on PSN, less so on XBL, due to the Vanilla VF5 being online on 360 only. In a month or two that will even out though, especially since tournies will run the game on PS3.

Daigoro

im feeling like i need a Sanwa stick for FS.

all i have for 360 is the original VF EX stick which is crap and pratically unmoddable and the HRAP SE. dunno if all Seimitsu is going to work for me here. maybe ill try some VF5 with it and see how it works, but i dont really want to touch VF5 a week before FS comes out...

hrm.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Yeah, that's true. I just worry that people are so convinced that VF is a timesink that they'll just move onto something else when they hit a roadblock instead of sticking it out--a problem every game faces, of course, but I mean, TTT2 and DOA are just around the corner...

Raife

As someone who has never played a VF game before, I'm excited hearing about the awesome tutorial mode. Which of the characters is a good one to start with?

XBLA: C0untZer0

Xeno_V

By the way the release of VF5FS would be a good chance for SEGA to re-release the VSHG arcade stick, but I guess I am asking for too much:/.

Alx

As someone who has never played a VF game before, I'm excited hearing about the awesome tutorial mode. Which of the characters is a good one to start with?

I don't know about the latest modifications in VF5FS, but to start I would consider most characters that are quick enough, and not too reliant on stances, throws or reversals : Lau, Lion, Eileen, Jacky, Vanessa... Probably avoid Akira, Shun or Aoi at the beginning. I don't really know about Taka & Jean.

Dachande

I have the first-worldiest problem with this game. All my friends are getting it on PSN, but I don't have enough hard drive space for the game plus all the DLC, and my 60GB drive is probably dying too.

Ah well, I'll work something out...

alstein

Anyone you want. My suggestion: there is a command training, go through it with every character, skipping over the moves you don't like doing. You'll figure out who you want to learn. That's how I settled on Jeff in VF5, and I plan on doing it again once FS comes out to pick a new character (Jeff's changes took away a lot of my most-used moves and I want to invoke the power of moe if I can pull it off, I've never gone moe before)

Airgetlam

I have the first-worldiest problem with this game. All my friends are getting it on PSN, but I don't have enough hard drive space for the game plus all the DLC, and my 60GB drive is probably dying too.

Ah well, I'll work something out...

Buy a larger hard drive? Laptop hard drives are pretty cheap online and installing a new one on a ps3 is pretty easy. I did it two years ago and it's still working fine.

Top Bottom