• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Was about to state this. Especially when there are costume sets for close to the same price that doesn't even include color options (UMvC3)

If the tutorial is anything close to VF4 Evo you shouldn't worry about anything

Example of how it breaks down the mechanics for newcomers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9GJGBf05KE

From what I have seen, VF5: FS won't match this awesomeness :( I didn't see explanation from what VF4Evo showed.

soakrates

Yeah, the tutorial isn't as good as VF4Evo's, but it still goes rather in-depth. It'll teach you how to OS throw break, ETEG, fuzzy guard, etc. so you can still get a pretty good handle on the intermediate/advanced stuff.

Subscribed and buying both core versions Day 1...DLC is a different story though :(

Still, I love me some Virtua Fighter, bring it on!

Edit:

The Character intros have been cut? damn, that's a shame, but it won't stop me from buying both versions.

K.Sabot

I really do think this could have been a very successful F2P venture with how much customization there is, but I'm perfectly willing to throw down money on this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wait, is it the match start intros?! or some sort of demo attract intro. Holy crap if it's the former.

Wait wait, when they were talking about character intros, I thought they were referring to some of those extended match-up intros I've seen in streams for the VF:FS arcade version.

They don't mean the actual, primary masks-game-loading pre-fight dialog and animations?

With only 19 characters I have a hard time believing the dialog clips and animation data for those couldn't be included....

"They don't mean the actual, primary masks-game-loading pre-fight dialog and animations?"

AFAIK, They don't actually mask game loading. They pop up while people are at the character select/stage select screen, but then go to the "normal" loading screen after everything's selected.

Wait wait, when they were talking about character intros, I thought they were referring to some of those extended match-up intros I've seen in streams for the VF:FS arcade version.

They don't mean the actual, primary masks-game-loading pre-fight dialog and animations?

With only 19 characters I have a hard time believing the dialog clips and animation data for those couldn't be included....

Yeah it has to be those videos during char select.

Shinobi_GR

Neo Member
Wait, is it the match start intros?! or some sort of demo attract intro. Holy crap if it's the former.

I think that the intros you talking about, are the custom intros from the arcade version of the game and not the pre-fight intros (the old intros from vanilla VF5 and the new from VF5FS). Correct me If I'm wrong, but those special intros were part of the VF.TV.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Nah the intros are only shown at the char select screen (not related to VF.TV), so it doesn't make a lot of sense to include them since you won't be going to the char select screen directly online. At the very best it'd be only for offline versus, and it would've been GREAT to include them, but I can understand why they're not included.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I get some of the complaints about no character intros and stuff but I'm hype that the file size is so so small. Would have hated to download liek a 10gb game full of crap I guess.

I wanted to ask this for awhile actually, how did you manage to get your hands on this early?

We've been working with SEGA since last year so they shot it over so I could do a bunch of preview streams.

Apparently Shidosha and some others are getting into it now too so should be able to line up some cool matches soon.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I am looking forward to this! I will be around on the xbox version, perhaps I will run into many of you there!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I get some of the complaints about no character intros and stuff but I'm hype that the file size is so so small. Would have hated to download liek a 10gb game full of crap I guess.

We've been working with SEGA since last year so they shot it over so I could do a bunch of preview streams.

Apparently Shidosha and some others are getting into it now too so should be able to line up some cool matches soon.

You or Oichi should give out some preview codes/unlock codes for GAF.

Just saying~ The wait until next week is killing me.

alstein

I'd love an unlock code- I could test cross-country netplay.

That said, I know it's unrealistic, they don't just give those things out to everyone. It's too bad I couldn't claim the one article I wrote as me being a "video games journalist"

Tansut

I did a quick thread search and didn't see anything about it, but this is an important question for me to decide which system I get it on;

Is this a game that's played better with a pad or stick? I've been pretty much a pad player except for Skullgirls, but I've also been pretty much a 2D fighter (aside from a very light amount of Tekken) player exclusively so this is pretty new territory for me.

Thanks for any info!

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
You or Oichi should give out some preview codes/unlock codes for GAF.

Just saying~ The wait until next week is killing me.

I have no unlock codes. :( But hopefully someone from Sega sees this and offers some to me so I can hold some sort of contest :D

"Is this a game that's played better with a pad or stick? I've been pretty much a pad player except for Skullgirls, but I've also been pretty much a 2D fighter (aside from a very light amount of Tekken) player exclusively so this is pretty new territory for me."

IMO, the key advantages to a stick are:

1) convenient access to all necessary buttons
2) less strain on hand/wrist with complex motions.

VF only has 3 buttons and 99% of the moves in the game are very simple input/button combinations. Stuff like f, f+p or b, df + p, etc. There are only a handful of moves with more complex motions than a QCF. I don't even know if some of those are still in the game since they simplified the throw system (I know Goh had some 3/4 circle throw inputs).

I will be playing with a stick, but I don't see pad players having any trouble with execution.

Item Box

Holy crap at the move lists. For a game that only uses 3 buttons, this looks way more advanced than street fighter. I'll still jump in anyway, more fighters are good for me!

XBL: SpamAge

akuma001

I did a quick thread search and didn't see anything about it, but this is an important question for me to decide which system I get it on;

Is this a game that's played better with a pad or stick? I've been pretty much a pad player except for Skullgirls, but I've also been pretty much a 2D fighter (aside from a very light amount of Tekken) player exclusively so this is pretty new territory for me.

Thanks for any info!

the guy who won the ufgt8 vf5fs side tourney played on pad and he is considered one of the strongest players on the east coast so like any game i'll say whatever you feel most comfortable on is what you should play on.

the player's name is denkai, you can see him play around the 59 minute mark http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/319480677

Xeno_V

Great OT Oichi ! Awesome work.

Day 1 for both versions, with all the DLC content. I don't care about E3 anymore :p !

Anyway :

PSN : Spiros_1978 (Europe)

XBLA : Shinobi VF5gr (Europe)

Shinobi representing GR-Gaf!
Long time no see, just give me some time and I will also join the club.
There's no use in posting my gamertag though, my MSc will keep me busy for another 2-3 months apparently.

In the meantime guys I am trying to get into the mood just by looking various vids. How is Pai doing in FS? She was my main in Vanilla 5, but I think that she plays totally different and from the few things I 've seen I am not impressed so far, so I might have to switch back to my VF4 characters (Akira or Jacky). Akira is always good for all the combo junkies out there, and I also want to see how much Jacky has changed. Is his gameplay as simple as always oe did things get more combo-heavy this time around?

Kientin

Noooo I don't want to buy another fighter, but this looks so good, the price is so good, and the ot is very persuasive.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
"Is this a game that's played better with a pad or stick? I've been pretty much a pad player except for Skullgirls, but I've also been pretty much a 2D fighter (aside from a very light amount of Tekken) player exclusively so this is pretty new territory for me."

IMO, the key advantages to a stick are:

1) convenient access to all necessary buttons
2) less strain on hand/wrist with complex motions.

VF only has 3 buttons and 99% of the moves in the game are very simple input/button combinations. Stuff like f, f+p or b, df + p, etc. There are only a handful of moves with more complex motions than a QCF. I don't even know if some of those are still in the game since they simplified the throw system (I know Goh had some 3/4 circle throw inputs).

I will be playing with a stick, but I don't see pad players having any trouble with execution.

I am a pad player. I am not tourniment good, but I like to think I am pretty good. Never felt the pad was a barrier to my skill.

Dachande

Holy crap at the move lists. For a game that only uses 3 buttons, this looks way more advanced than street fighter. I'll still jump in anyway, more fighters are good for me!

XBL: SpamAge

Don't be too intimidated by the movelists. It's listing every single move that is possible for each character - the equivalents of LK, MP, etc and special-case normals like f+HK you'd get in Street Fighter. The difference is that really only that there's not much distinction between 'standard' attacks and more involving 'special' attacks in VF and you'll tend to use the entire spectrum at all times, so they just list everything.

alstein

Don't be too intimidated by the movelists. It's listing every single move that is possible for each character - the equivalents of LK, MP, etc and special-case normals like f+HK you'd get in Street Fighter. The difference is that really only that there's not much distinction between 'standard' attacks and more involving 'special' attacks in VF and you'll tend to use the entire spectrum at all times, so they just list everything.

Some moves are like SF4 combo trial 18's for trial mode, with about as much practicality.

That said, it's worth going through command training once with every character, just to see who comes easiest to you.

Dachande

Some moves are like SF4 combo trial 18's for trial mode, with about as much practicality.

That said, it's worth going through command training once with every character, just to see who comes easiest to you.

Yeah, sure. Some moves only have limited applications, that's true for every character.

In the end, what I find happens is that you learn and absorb an entire moveset as a... whole thing, and you begin to know each move by their animations, by the height they hit at, how fast they feel etc. I guess that's true of a lot of fighting games, but in SF, you could arguably tier moves in your mind around types like normals, jumping, crouch, specials, supers, etc. I don't think that doesn't really happens in VF, with the possible exception of throws; the entire moveset is one, with a single P being is as valid and useful in your mind any other move with a more complex input. In a way, that's actually simpler.

When you've found your character and their moves become second nature to you, that's where the game comes into its own. The way moves are treated in VF isn't a complexity thing, it's... something else. Something I've found that only VF does. You just gotta play it to understand. But don't fear it, it's not scary.

Top Bottom