• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

CPS2

I'll pick this up but I'm not sure how often I'll be online. Xbox gamertag is xT1GERSTYLEx and I'm from Australia, please only add me if you're from Aus or NZ.

Shinobi_GR

Neo Member
Great OT Oichi ! Awesome work.

Day 1 for both versions, with all the DLC content. I don't care about E3 anymore :p !

Anyway :

PSN : Spiros_1978 (Europe)

XBLA : Shinobi VF5gr (Europe)

Dachande

Buy a larger hard drive? Laptop hard drives are pretty cheap online and installing a new one on a ps3 is pretty easy. I did it two years ago and it's still working fine.

Well, more than just that, I think my 60GB launch console is on its last legs too (the display cuts out occasionally and I need to unplug the HDMI cable over and over to get it stable), and I'm a bit loathe to do anything with it until it dies and I'm forced to get a slim...

RS4-

who are you going to be raping me with in this game? : (

With Dudley. Who are you using?

Actually I'm not too sure who I'll be using. I tried to get back into VF5 last month and I got lazy. I guess it's probably Lau, Wolf, Akira and Brad?

Going into time trial training mode really put a stop to learning a few other characters as some moves are just such a pain in the ass to execute.

You guys convinced me to buy this game. Hopefully netcode will be good.

VF5 online wasn't bad. Just a huge annoyance in not being able to switch characters without quitting the game and making a new one.

And yeah, hopefully the special sparring/kumite mode gets patched or whatever, and that you can play without the dlc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think one thing this game has going for it is that, because VF has been so irrelevant in the west, a majority of the players are going to be at the bottom rung of skill level, making a majority of matches for newer players pretty even. I don't think it's going to be a case of brand new players getting absolutely smashed day 1 by a bunch of veterans and then getting discouraged.

I dunno about that. VFDC players may jump on both platforms screwing up newbies.

Though really, the fact that they don't have win streak achievements (simple "play ranked 10 times" ones) means/I hope means that the online won't be full of assholes trying to cheese wins. It'll hopefully be respectful and for fun.

alstein

I dunno about that. VFDC players may jump on both platforms screwing up newbies.

Though really, the fact that they don't have win streak achievements (simple "play ranked 10 times" ones) means/I hope means that the online won't be full of assholes trying to cheese wins. It'll hopefully be respectful and for fun.

E-peen equals cheesers no matter what in ranked modes.

If I were designing a fighter- I would not have ranked matches period (that said, I think both Sony and Microsoft require it)

BadWolf

Yeah I wonder if they will let you hide player levels/ranks in this game, really don't like not being able to do this in KOFXIII.

Zia

7287849806_e1f3e9359c_z.jpg

Oh. I didn't think I was going to buy the costume packs.

I used to have a lovely Caribbean dark Aoi in VF5. However, it should be noted that there is actually an even lighter skin color for Vanessa, but that just makes her look weird.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Kind of disappointed with the levels in FS. Been watching videos and most of my favorite levels have lost their cool effects. Water turned to sand, puddles turned to nothing, and snow completely melted. Is the fog still on the mountain stage?

alstein

Yeah the OP laid it on a little too thick there.

I think I remember the Sega rep at one of the tournaments a few months ago mention that the stages are customizable. Was that real life or did I misunderstand him?

Happens plenty with VF fans , if you really get into VF, other FGs feel like frauds. The only fighting game I've been able to respect this gen after VF was KOFXIII. Everything else felt bad.

The stages aren't customizable- what he means is the properties of some stages change from round to round.

B00TE

Gonna day one this. Rented VF5 several times and had fun with it but never really got in depth with it. I will buy the customization stuff, but I won't be able to get it all for awhile which will drive me nuts.

Hoping that getting this day one means I start with a pack of similar people who have only the slightest inkling of what's going on, though I fully expect to be bodied either way.

Sojgat

I am torn between wanting to get everything because I love Virtua Fighter, and not wanting to support the practise of charging $30 for dlc costume packs. 1200 points for the base game is such a bargain though.

Skilletor

I am torn between wanting to get everything because I love Virtua Fighter, and not wanting to support the practise of charging $30 for dlc costume packs. 1200 points for the base game is such a bargain though.

Pretend it's a physical release for 50 bucks. Given the options, I don't see how this is bad.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Nah you dont love Virtua Fighter. </3

akuma001

i had the chance to try the online last friday at haunts place along with my buddy dennis0201 from vfdc playing against our friend from socal laakira and thought the netcode was great.

http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner/b/319340367 archive of us playing online starts around 45 minutes in.

we played for like 4-5hrs and you can see in the vids we were able to do things like fuzzy, stand guard mids from crouching state, evade when we wanted, techroll, etc. all the things you expect to be able to do on reaction offline. just need to learn the newer combos and get more comfortable recognizing all the new attack strings from other characters.

anyways

psn - akuma001
xbl - cutitupfresh (need to renew my live though)

hope to play alot of you guys! been too long >=j

Cosmetic costumes and items are the least offensive form of DLC out there. You aren't missing any gameplay by not buying them.

Edit: wait, I'm hearing something about Kumite mode only being available to people who have all the DLC? That's shitty.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Cosmetic costumes and items are the least offensive form of DLC out there. You aren't missing any gameplay by not buying them.

Edit: wait, I'm hearing something about Kumite mode only being available to people who have all the DLC? That's shitty.

Unless there is a mis-communication somewhere, they don't have 'compatibility' packs for the costume parts you don't buy, such as SCV's compatibility packs. The special survival/kumite mode uses edit characters, so you must own all the DLC in order to play that mode.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm into this. Seems like most characters in this game are doing things that are actually physically possible.
Can't wait to try it when it comes out on PSN.

Kai Dracon

I'm into this. Seems like most characters in this game are doing things that are actually physically possible.
Can't wait to try it when it comes out on PSN.

It's been a halmark of the VF series that characters basically be people you could actually meet on the street, in real life. Not dull designs, they're a bit idealized with swank fashions. But they're not cartoons - I think Goh and Jean are the only ones who push the boundaries. (Kage is a ninja cosplayer, ha ha!)

That extends to their move sets as well of course. With the exception of floatiness involving juggles, it's pretty realistic.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That extends to their move sets as well of course. With the exception of floatiness involving juggles, it's pretty realistic.
Yeah I was talking about the individual attacks the players can do. The way characters re-act to being hit is justified by the game having to be a game at the end.

I would like to see a game like that based on Euphoria physics, but I guess the prototypes that developers have already done have shown that it's probably not that fun to play.

Such smart pricing on this. I'm looking to branch out into 3D fighters, and was aiming at TTT2. So for something like $30 or so I'd not have given this a try, but for $15 I'm down. I don't need DLC packs and with Bing rewards points it's well in my impulse buy range. And hey, if I love it I can just skip on TTT2 until it is cheap.

chriskun

man, i really don't like how the juggling looks in this game, was the original VF5 like this, I don't remember.

Alx

It's been like that since VF4, from my impression. I too preferred the older systems, less combo oriented, with a better feel of moves connecting with the opponent.
Since I don't rely much on combos in VF games, it wasn't a problem for me, but I fear that facing high level players online may make it more apparent.

Don't buy the DLC then. Buying the base game is enough to show support :). I'm not buying the DLC either.

Kai Dracon

One thing I will say about the costume DLC for this game, is that in theory it's more useful than typical full costume DLC since it's really a construction set. Opens up possibilities for creating hundreds of custom outfits, rather than merely one pre-set alt per character.

That might be something to consider when gauging a purchase.

Eiji

Kind of disappointed with the levels in FS. Been watching videos and most of my favorite levels have lost their cool effects. Water turned to sand, puddles turned to nothing, and snow completely melted. Is the fog still on the mountain stage?

I really hope Sega releases the VF5/VF5R stages as DLC.

Caj814

One thing I will say about the costume DLC for this game, is that in theory it's more useful than typical full costume DLC since it's really a construction set. Opens up possibilities for creating hundreds of custom outfits, rather than merely one pre-set alt per character.

That might be something to consider when gauging a purchase.

Was about to state this. Especially when there are costume sets for close to the same price that doesn't even include color options (UMvC3)

If I can get a hang of this game properly, I will buy all the customization dlc to support.

If the tutorial is anything close to VF4 Evo you shouldn't worry about anything

Example of how it breaks down the mechanics for newcomers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9GJGBf05KE

Man I freaking love fighting game trophies that require minimal online play. So fucking hyped, havent played VF since vanilla 4 where I put in alot work with Jacky and Lion(why am I so great?) can't wait to see what new tricks they have.

DR2K

Banned
Then make a statement by buying the full game for 15 and not buying the dlc packs. Assuming you were being genuine with that "love".

GrayFoxPL

Man I freaking love fighting game rtophies that require minimal online play. So fucking hyped, havent played VF since vanilla 4 where I put in alot work with Jacky and Lion(why am I so great?) can't wait to see what new tricks they have.

Trophies look way easy. Shame about no platinum.

Top Bottom