• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

GrayFoxPL

I'm a bit sad to say that I haven't seen a single customized character in ranked match yet, on PS3. Such a shame, seeing people's creations is one of the highlights for me. Makes me wonder how many people have just got this through PS+ and so not bothered buying the costume packs.

I had a really good match against a 9th Dan Sarah though, who was going to rank up while I'm still 1st Dan. They juuuust scraped through on the last round, but it was intense and damn close. Then he/she sent me a message thanking me for such a good match to rank up on. So nice!

Did you download all the packs?

I have only Jean dlc and 1 on 2 other Jeans I met was customized.

Very weird that you don't see it since even many gaffers have customs.

Meh, almost no players tonight in Europe. Took me forever to find a match.

Did you search worldwide? Same area is just your country, no one uses that. Many players from Europe sit online, I play since launch and no problem finding opponents.

Skilletor

If I remember correctly, someone in the Skullgirls OT pointed out that 50K digital copies was actually pretty good for a downloadable game, and much more so for a brand new series. So that might not be the best point of reference to work with. I'm not really big on sales, though, so take this comment with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't be surprised if VF5FS did bomb, though. The series isn't as popular anymore, and it seems that the downloadable release rubbed people the wrong way.

That was pretty much my point.

DRE Fei

I don't want to critique it too much yet. I'll just say I was expecting things in this game that were in Tekken... but that would be premature of me since they're different games and just because they're 3D doesn't mean they need to have the exact same mechanics.

For example, you're completely invincible for wakeup attacks, I think that's ridiculous from a Tekken background when half your game is based on oki, but there's a logic that Sega had for designing it in this way and until I fully grasp it, I'm not going to mouth off completely yet.

So far, online play if fantastic. Being in Canada it's near impossible to get matches in my own region :(, but when I put it to worldwide I get matches easy.

But the fun I'm getting so far is by playing fellow people in lobbies :)

And customization is pretty much equivalent to Tekken 6.

Rising attacks do 20 damage. I think this is still the case in FS. They have invincible startup, but once they reach the hitting portion of the frames you can counter-hit them with a higher damage move. In VF when 2 moves collide, the higher damage move always wins. So with Wolf for example I would just use 3K+G (since it does higher than 20 damage) to crush rising attack, but it has to be timed right. Everything has to be timed right. You don't just get free oki pressure like in other games.

The reason the wakeup system is this way is to keep the oki from being too strong off hard knockdowns. The wakeup attacks are there to break the attacker's momentum. Oki is still very strong against tech rolls/quick rise, but in a hard knockdown situation it's a little bit harder to keep the pressure on. If you have good timing, you can still keep them locked down.

I wouldn't be surprised if VF5FS did bomb, though. The series isn't as popular anymore, and it seems that the downloadable release rubbed people the wrong way.

I don't even think the original VF5 retail release sold very well. I got it like a month after it first came out and it was already discounted to $30-40 or something. A refresh like this can't cost much to develop, so it would be doing well if it sells half as many copies as the original, IMO.

If they release the old VF5 an VF5R stages as DLC they can get more money from me.

Dachande

Did you download all the packs?

I have only Jean dlc and 1 on 2 other Jeans I met was customized.

Very weird that you don't see it since even many gaffers have customs..

Yep, every single one. I've played a couple of player matches with friends and I saw their costumes, so the system is working. Just haven't seen any in ranked. Haven't been playing any Gaffers either.

Yep, every single one. I've played a couple of player matches with friends and I saw their costumes, so the system is working. Just haven't seen any in ranked. Haven't been playing any Gaffers either.

I've seen a few in ranked but most people just roll standard. Not me though, custom for every character now! :D I wish I was good with Kage, he has a few great pieces. Love his cyber ninja stuff. But yeah, it's great to see the customs pop up. A couple of cats from here have some great ones.

thelastword

Banned
Mash punch and turning elbow.

Probably you just need to play more guys.
My only disappointment is that I wish Sega didn't use XBLA as a standard for this game. I think they could have touched up on the textures much more, implement some more AA and improve on the sound. A fighter of this caliber needs to be given the best imo. The trophies for this game could be much better aswell and a fighter like this should have a platinum.

There is so much they could have done in the way of trophies to help persons improve their game towards that platinum and lengthen the time persons would be playing the singleplayer and the game in general. I mean there are games on the PSN at $7.99 with platinums, even one at $4.99 as of last week, so a game at 15 with so much to offer in concept should have one as well. I really dont like this XBLA standard that some devs use on cross-platform titles, it has only served to affect how much better a PSN release this could have been.

Looking further into this, I believe the replays could be a bit more detailed, who is fighting who? how many points does each player have, what is the said person's rank? There are also not enough replays online, I was going through matches by Lei Fei and I only found 7.

My only disappointment is that I wish Sega didn't use XBLA as a standard for this game. I think they could have touched up on the textures much more, implement some more AA and improve on the sound. A fighter of this caliber needs to be given the best imo. The trophies for this game could be much better aswell and a fighter like this should have a platinum.

There is so much they could have done in the way of trophies to help persons improve their game towards that platinum and lengthen the time persons would be playing the singleplayer and the game in general. I mean there are games on the PSN at $7.99 with platinums, even one at $4.99 as of last week, so a game at 15 with so much to offer in concept should have one as well. I really dont like this XBLA standard that some devs use on cross-platform titles, it has only served to affect how much better a PSN release this could have been.

Looking further into this, I believe the replays could be a bit more detailed, who is fighting who? how many points does each player have, what is the said person's rank? There are also not enough replays online, I was going through matches by Lei Fei and I only found 7.

The PSN is a better standard, because they don't hold file size limits.

GrayFoxPL

I said it before release, I would gladly pay 60$ for a full disc version with quest mode, crazy character introductions from arcade, even more items then arcade, maybe little story mode with sketches, gallery.

I mean, great we at least got the core game but Sega really trimmed it down.

You know Legend of Joe Live Action where guy sweats all the juices from the body so only bones are muscles are left and does it just to pull his weight down so he could fight in lower category?
That guy is VF5FS.

GrayFoxPL

How many frames are throws again?

Did VF4 have some 0 frame throws? I remember punishing with throws was much easier. Or maybe bad memory.

"How many frames are throws again?

Did VF4 have some 0 frame throws? I remember punishing with throws was much easier. Or maybe bad memory."

10. Wiki says VF3 and VF5 vanilla had 0 frame throws, no mention of VF4.

DRE Fei

VF4 had 8 frame throws. FS is 10. Vanilla VF5 has 0 frame throws, but only in certain situations. Otherwise they were like 12 frames or something like that.

In FS though, a lot of the moves are safe and people just spam attacks to beat the throw. Even if something is -10 I still wouldn't go for the throw just because the window is so small to punish and they can just mash out.

GrayFoxPL

VF4 had 8 frame throws.

In FS though, a lot of the moves are safe and people just spam attacks to beat the throw. Even if something is -10 I still wouldn't go for the throw just because the window is so small to punish and they can just mash out.

Yeah. played Vanessa in 4 vanilla and remember doing 42P+G throw (or was it half cirle? Nvm) during blocking an attack and it came out immediately almost no grab animation, just bang, bang, bang! Felt really good and natural. Now you gotta force opponent to block and it's still not sure for throw setup. But old memories, maybe it wasn't so easy in 4.

galvatron

Finally tried ranked again after spending most of my time in Jean's command training and a few player matches then managed to go 4-0 finished up by Eing on a much higher ranked Wolf player for my last round. Thanks to sixfortyfive and deps for helping shrink some of the giant holes in my game with their advice on throws and spam handling.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You seem a bit bitter about both of those points, considering this isn't the first time you've made pretty much this exact post.

Unless Sony is giving Sega money for each PSRental Service download... downloaded, Sega is not getting their money. So people getting it for free to expand the community is nice, but that isn't really helping Sega any and means the game probably sold little and hence, no VF6 ported to the West if a VF6 happens.

So yeah, I'm "bitter" because I paid to make sure Sega knew to bring these over to the West but if others aren't paying what's the point?

Unless Sony is giving Sega money for each PSRental Service download... downloaded, Sega is not getting their money. So people getting it for free to expand the community is nice, but that isn't really helping Sega any and means the game probably sold little and hence, no VF6 ported to the West if a VF6 happens.

So yeah, I'm "bitter" because I paid to make sure Sega knew to bring these over to the West but if others aren't paying what's the point?

Uh, usually when they do this, they do give them compensation of some sort. They don't just take over the game and say "we are selling your game for free as part of this deal we got going on, sorry".

Coxy

you think sony just takes the games and hands them out and gives nothing back to the developers?

Skilletor

Because it totally makes sense for Sega to just be like, "Sure, Sony, here's our game for free!"

It's not like everybody who gets it through PS+ would have bought the game anyway.

Enjoy your game, worry less about how others are doing so.

TheSeks

Uh, usually when they do this, they do give them compensation of some sort. They don't just take over the game and say "we are selling your game for free as part of this deal we got going on, sorry".

you think sony just takes the games and hands them out and gives nothing back to the developers?

Not saying "nothing," exactly... but the returns from the promotion probably are less than the $15 asking price and given that most people that are downloading it probably aren't going to play it for more than two minutes before giving up or getting all the achievements and then dropping it instead of spending money on the game and DLC, it's still less money than they'd get from legit sales. Unless Sony dropped a bunch of money on promoting it.

Skilletor

I'd worry less about how much money Sega is getting and more about how they'll go about releasing a VF6 when they just released VF5 via digital download for 15 bucks. I wonder how long the game will have to be in arcades for them to even consider a home port at this cost again.

TheSeks

I'd worry less about how much money Sega is getting and more about how they'll go about releasing a VF6 when they just released VF5 via digital download for 15 bucks. I wonder how long the game will have to be in arcades for them to even consider a home port at this cost again.

Given how low it's selling (if people are going into ranked matches is an indication), I'd doubt VF6 would even leave the arcades. :/

Not saying "nothing," exactly... but the returns from the promotion probably are less than the $15 asking price and given that most people that are downloading it probably aren't going to play it for more than two minutes before giving up or getting all the achievements and then dropping it instead of spending money on the game and DLC, it's still less money than they'd get from legit sales. Unless Sony dropped a bunch of money on promoting it.

People seem to forget that fighting games sell pretty well as time goes on. Just the way the community works, with more people getting into it.

VF6 will happen because there's an audience in Japan. There's just enough of the hardcore players who will keep playing this title that I think they will support it.

alstein

People seem to forget that fighting games sell pretty well as time goes on. Just the way the community works, with more people getting into it.

VF6 will happen because there's an audience in Japan. There's just enough of the hardcore players who will keep playing this title that I think they will support it.

Not worried about VF6 arcade, it's VF6 console I'm worried about. Console sales depend on the American market, especially for games that aren't poverty.

The Sega reps at FR flat-out said sales were required to keep this series alive on console after how poorly VF5 Vanilla sold.

Given Sega's new focus on DD, I expect it would be 2 years in the arcades before a port, and the port would be DD again, on the cheap, like what FS was.

Even if that's like $5 they get, instead of $10, that $5 is more than $0. I really don't think they should have put the DLC on sale though day 1. The hardcores would have paid $45. I would have paid $100 easily.

Takuan

I was just playing a GAFer, trying to find you again on Player Match because it's wayyyy faster to get games rolling. Where are you, Jo_Jo_X?

Found 'im. And not a GAFer, I don't think - GG anyway, dude!

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Thanks for the invite!

And sorry Rory, I don't have my mic on tonight. Will get it ready next time.

Man, they're really pushing Playstation Plus. There were two or three different dialogues telling me I could get VF5FS for free if I subscribed to the service as I was trying to buy the game.

Top Bottom