• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Takuan

Were items or costumes cut in the console version? I was just watching some Goh footage and saw a bunch of costumes I haven't seen before (yakuza suit, dictator uniform).

So ok, anyone going to be up for games tomorrow on PSN and or 360? I'm thinking PSN primarily, but maybe I'll divide my time between both so we can all play.

"Were items or costumes cut in the console version? I was just watching some Goh footage and saw a bunch of costumes I haven't seen before (yakuza suit, dictator uniform)."

Different items are available depending on what costume type you have selected.

alstein

Were items or costumes cut in the console version? I was just watching some Goh footage and saw a bunch of costumes I haven't seen before (yakuza suit, dictator uniform).

From what I've been told the only thing cut item-wise was the Vocaloids due to licensing issues.

fernoca

Darn, can spend hours and hours just customizing characters… XD ..so awesome. Just "discovered" that I could remove Brad's stuff on his arms, by choosing costume B and removing his shirt (so that my swimsuit-Brad wears less pieces of clothing :p). Then take them for a spin around Arcade or Special Sparring.

Xbox Live leaderboards went from 7k-ish to 8.5k so good to see a thousand people joining over the last 24 hours.

Oh man, I just realized the game is out and that I have already downloaded it.
I swear they were giving out the original vanilla release of Virtua Fighter 5 with PS+ subscriptions. I ran the game after it finished downloading, then I saw the installing trophy data screen... then I thought to myself, "wow Sega added trophy support to this old game"... then I realized this was Final Showdown and shat myself. :p

I just played it a bit, but I must say that I miss that stage with the deformable snow on the ground from vanilla VF5. Also, I really suck at the game, need to practice more.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Has anyone got any tips?

I'm at Hunter level now, but I've had over 10-15 fights since being a Hunter and my Promotion bar has not moved at all.

Obviously fighting people who are hunters or higher would help, but there have been none online while I have been playing.

Also, anyone know how long it normally takes for registration to be accepted on VFDC?

Cheers

Meantime

Has anyone got any tips?

I'm at Hunter level now, but I've had over 10-15 fights since being a Hunter and my Promotion bar has not moved at all.

Obviously fighting people who are hunters or higher would help, but there have been none online while I have been playing.

I'm wondering this too. I've been at hunter for a couple of days, and I've only ever seen one other player at hunter level, and that was while I was still 3rd or 4th dan.

I'm seeing more people with outfits on XBL than PSN. Finally got to do some rank matches on LIVE last night. And man, was the Taka army was out last night, lol. Most of the folks on my list are already in the top ten in Ranking :O Freaking animals...

alstein

I'm seeing more people with outfits on XBL than PSN. Finally got to do some rank matches on LIVE last night. And man, was the Taka army was out last night, lol. Most of the folks on my list are already in the top ten in Ranking :O Freaking animals...

XBL is a smaller, more hardcore community, many of whom played Vanilla VF5 for years.

PSN is more the general FGC with some VFDC'ers who don't like paying for online mixed in there, and some double-dippers.

LowParry

I think I may drop the money for the complete package. It makes sense. Probably roll on the PS3 side of things as well. Really interested in some Jean play since his style is karate.

I'm really getting owned by some players that know how to punish and keep you on the ground. Just recently an Eileen but also Jacky and Lion do it to me a lot too. What am I doing wrong ? It's G+P+K or L2 to do a recovery when you hit the ground right ? And once you're down, just button mash and press up or down in the direction you want to roll ? Sometimes if I fall and take my right hand off the DS3 and start tapping the square triangle circle buttons, I get up fast, but I can't rapidly tap the buttons like that easily without then having to shift my grip once I'm up. I think a stick would help immensely.

LowParry

I'm really getting owned by some player that know how to punish and keep you on the ground. Just recently an Eileen but also Jacky and Lion do it to me a lot too. What am I doing wrong ? It's G+P+K or L2 to do a recovery when you hit the ground right ? And once you're down, just button mash and press up or down in the direction you want to roll ? Sometimes if I fall and take my right hand off the DS3 and just start tapping the square triangle circle buttons, I get up fast, but I can't the buttons like that easily without then having to shift my grip once I'm up. I think a stick would help immensely.

You play Soul Calibur? I think it helps to have the same sort of config with buttons. Guard being on the A (360) X (PS3), etc.

I think I may drop the money for the complete package. It makes sense. Probably roll on the PS3 side of things as well. Really interested in some Jean play since his style is karate.

I regret not doing it. But I didn't really know everything I would miss out on. I don't even care about the customizations as much as having all of the stock uniforms for the characters. I thought about buying Lei Fei's pack for $5. Then I think I can get 8-9 characters for only $15. Then I think, why didn't I spend the extra $15 to begin with and get them all for the price ? I wish I could pay $15 now for all the extra DLC, but I basically have to spend $30 to get both packs, or rebuy the complete edition, wasting the $15 I spent on vanilla.

YoungHav

Banned
VF4 Evolution was the only one I ever owned and took the time to play. All those hours put in just to get decent with 1 character (Goh). I have the stupidest grin on my face whenever I play this game, brings back memories.

DR2K

Banned
So basically throws are fucking useless, is it even possible to punish unsafe moves with a throw? Everyones best move is a low jab. Hope this evolves with more play.

I'm done for now. GGs.

I'll have to hit training mode later to practice against Wolf.

So basically throws are fucking useless, is it even possible to punish unsafe moves with a throw? Everyones best move is a low jab. Hope this evolves with more play.
It is knowing when to use throws. You have to scare the opponent into not attacking. Mid beats low. Or if you are Wolf you get a fucking running grab lol

I don't want to an ass, but have you actually played this game before assuming all that?

But to answer your question, yes you can.

Throws aren't useless at all. I'd argue that they are even more dangerous now than in previous versions. Moves that are greater than -12 (I believe) are throw punishable. Low punch spamming is effective but then that's when you sidestep and punish as you are at an advantage. Once they start standing, then you can start getting the throws in.

Top Bottom