• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Good games to AAK and Dark. It took awhile to warm up to online timing , but matches were fun. Love how some folks on GAF are using their Tekken stepping :) This game is crack!

Got to first dan fairly quickly; think my win-rate is around 75 to 80% so far. Taken down a few higher ranked people. El Blaze is still DA TRUTH

Soulstar

Just got done playing in a random room. It was a wonderful experience much better than doing ranked games.

I love this game so much and I'm really feeling the changes to Sarah she's just an overall better and much more fun to play as. I do miss her 9P+G a little.

Malajax

Be careful.

Don't use moves that leave you open, or at a massive frame disadvantage. See how they respond to the BB+GP grab where you dash in. Some players will know how to stuff it, others will get scooped.

Use evade and poke wisely. Only retaliate after a blocked chain with a safe fast combo.

Mix up overhead and low attacks to keep opponents on their toes.

It's too easy as a Wolf player to just get punished by the faster player characters in the game so you need to be extremely cautious. Use block generously. :p

Spend time in training mode to find out which moves give you a frame advantage and play it safe. That's pretty much all I've got for now.

Good luck.

And miss this?

Myw3h.jpg

No way!

Thanks for the advice! Either it worked or I was just running into a bunch of bad players tonight. Managed to get a good number of wins, including against 3 hunter ranks. I think I started winning more when I stopped trying to throw so much. Just working with quick strikes and evades. Good stuff.

Dabbled with a bit of Jeffry tonight as well. Quite the bruiser, that one. Having a ton of fun with this one. I think it's better that the win/loss ratio isn't readily visible. Just gets you into the "win some, lose some" mentality.

Alx

Why do you need a useless incentive to do those things? Even though you get a pop up, it's the same thing as writing it down on a piece of paper.

I don't need one, but since the feature is there they could at least have made it interesting. It would only have been an added bonus.

About the online and messages from the community, I got mostly positive feedbacks (I rarely send messages myself though, except yesterday for a very tense Eileen Vs Eileen match, where we knew each other's attacks and had a great defensive match). The only "negative" one was someone telling me not to run when I tried to win by time out (and failed :p), but that's a debatable opinion : I think it's a great feature to add time to the match strategy, unlike other fighting games where most matches end in the first 15 seconds.

soakrates

Played a bunch of offline games with Renzo today, and it was a blast. One of my favorite things about VF is that you can really sense when you're getting better at it. You really do get back as much as you put into it.

fernoca

All of my male characters are HUGE sluts right now. (Except for Jacky, because his swimsuit sucks.)

XD
On that note, is there any site/place out there were I can see all alts in the game?
I was planning originally to just buy the characters-packs I use (Brad -already-, Akira, Pai); but since one of the modes (Special Sparring) requires to have all packs; I might as well buy them all.

BadWolf

Eileen players, what are some of your fave moves and BnB combos? I'd really like to expand my arsenal outside of the rather basic one I have.

Alx

Eileen players, what are some of your fave moves and BnB combos? I'd really like to expand my arsenal outside of the rather basic one I have.

I'm not much into combos, I usually try to confuse my opponents by having a very mobile style, with different openings :
- monkey run , P or K
- 4+PKG or 7+PKG for cool evades and backflips
- 2+PKG, K to get under regular attacks
- 3P,P to punish crouching opponents
- trying to insert a "hadoken" in a string of punches

But I admit that it's more about having fun than being effective, I'm still stuck at "PPPK" level and don't really want to move from there. :p

BadWolf

I'm not much into combos, I usually try to confuse my opponents by having a very mobile style, with different openings :
- monkey run , P or K
- 4+PKG or 7+PKG for cool evades and backflips
- 2+PKG, K to get under regular attacks
- 3P,P to punish crouching opponents
- trying to insert a "hadoken" in a string of punches

But I admit that it's more about having fun than being effective, I'm still stuck at "PPPK" level and don't really want to move from there. :p

Thanks man, and yeah, PPPK is my main combo lol. I definitely need to work on my movement and trickery with her so I'll try those out when I get home.

Thanks for the advice! Either it worked or I was just running into a bunch of bad players tonight. Managed to get a good number of wins, including against 3 hunter ranks. I think I started winning more when I stopped trying to throw so much. Just working with quick strikes and evades. Good stuff.

Dabbled with a bit of Jeffry tonight as well. Quite the bruiser, that one. Having a ton of fun with this one. I think it's better that the win/loss ratio isn't readily visible. Just gets you into the "win some, lose some" mentality.

Woohoo!

Something I forgot to mention with Wolf that I've picked up.

Try to make as much use of his grounded grabs for extra damage. If the opponent uses quick rise when knocked down once, don't go in for the ground grab; but if they just lay there it's free damage.

BadWolf

Remember that VFDC is available if your looking for combos.

Yeah, I've been there but I'm not sure how up to date their info is for FS.

For example, their Eileen wiki mentions bck fwd+K as an awesome sabaki move so I sit there trying to do it and its not even coming out, I check the in game movelist and its not there. By reading up somewhere else later it turns out that the move isn't present in FS at all, it was removed.

214P+K,P is quite nice. Move is one of the cancellable into moves and I think the (mid) punch causes stagger whether the opponent blocks or not.

214K is also quite nice as well for the same reasons above (combo cancellable, stagger on block low kick).

Malajax

Woohoo!

Something I forgot to mention with Wolf that I've picked up.

Try to make as much use of his grounded grabs for extra damage. If the opponent uses quick rise when knocked down once, don't go in for the ground grab; but if they just lay there it's free damage.

That was definitely a part of my strategy last night. Newer people fell victim to it every time.

Edit: Just realized I reached "Member" status! Woot!

BadWolf

214P+K,P is quite nice. Move is one of the cancellable into moves and I think the (mid) punch causes stagger whether the opponent blocks or not.

214K is also quite nice as well for the same reasons above (combo cancellable, stagger on block low kick).

*takes notes*

Thanks buddy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this sounds like heresy, but I really prefer the game's balance back in Revision C. I kinda feel like FS focuses really hard on being offensive, and I personally enjoy more of the options in C. Not saying FS is bad, just a personal preference thing - relearning is a bitch.

Yeah, I've been there but I'm not sure how up to date their info is for FS.

For example, their Eileen wiki mentions bck fwd+K as an awesome sabaki move so I sit there trying to do it and its not even coming out, I check the in game movelist and its not there. By reading up somewhere else later it turns out that the move isn't present in FS at all, it was removed.
I don't think they updated their wiki. Try the character forums.

Grokbu

Here are aome combos I use:

9K, 5/6_P3P, 236P+KK, 66K, 1PK [86DMG] (I think you have to modify this against some characters, but they do work from some angles on all, I think)

46P, 5/6_P, 43P+K, 1PK [64DMG]

46K+G, 6P+KP, 214PP, 214K+G [75DMG]

66K, 5/6_PP, 214PP, 214K+G [72DMG]

9P, 5/6_P, 43P+K, 1PK [64DMG]

214P+KP, 6P+KP, 214PP, 214K+G [77DMG]*

Also, if you have a juggle going, and you are close to a wall at the time and is able to tack on a 3K to make them hit the wall. From there you can add 66K, 1PK.

I'm not sure how many of these need to be modified against some characters, but I know that these work for characters like Lion.

I might be missing some, but yeah. :)

Also, I'm not sure if there's a move that's better at it, but 9P+K+GK can be good to punish things on reaction, like wakeup low kicks.

EDIT: Updated with damage notation.

*Crap. Might be a bit late to edit this. But I didn't realize that I wrote 214PP, which should actually be 214P+KP.

BadWolf

Here are aome combos I use:

9K, 5/6_P3P, 236P+KK, 66K, 1PK [86DMG] (I think you have to modify this against some characters, but they do work from some angles on all, I think)

46P, 5/6_P, 43P+K, 1PK [64DMG]

46K+G, 6P+KP, 214PP, 214K+G [75DMG]

66K, 5/6_PP, 214PP, 214K+G [72DMG]

9P, 5/6_P, 43P+K, 1PK [64DMG]

214PP, 6P+KP, 214PP, 214K+G [77DMG]

Also, if you have a juggle going, and you are close to a wall at the time and is able to tack on a 3K to make them hit the wall. From there you can add 66K, 1PK.

I'm not sure how many of these need to be modified against some characters, but I know that these work for characters like Lion.

I might be missing some, but yeah. :)

Also, I'm not sure if there's a move that's better at it, but 9P+K+GK can be good to punish things on reaction, like wakeup low kicks.

EDIT: Updated with damage notation.

Can't wait to try these when I get home, thanks :)

denshuu

Even in a game where every normal attack is throw invincible, I'm getting hate mail for throwing dudes. Stay free, PSN.

I had a player with like 250 games played, close to 600 points, disconnect on me just as I won the match. It's not like you're working on a perfect record or something. Why bother doing that, it's pathetic.

Is there like a good player/bad player list anywhere? I haven't really had any bad players, but I'd prefer to avoid them in ranked if possible.

I had a player with like 250 games played, close to 600 points, disconnect on me just as I won the match. It's not like you're working on a perfect record or something. Why bother doing that, it's pathetic.

Could've been an accident. I got disconnected once yesterday the second I took the final hit and lost. Really sucked because I bet the person thought I ragequitted. :(

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I played WAY to much yesterday. I am having trouble adjusting to my Aoi, the changes in the system seemed to greatly affect my playing style with her, but it is going ok.

I am trying to play Aoi, Blaze and Vanessa equally. I played a lot of Aoi and Blaze in the old VF, trying to add some Vanessa to the mix. Great game! I have about 4 outfits for my 3 main characters.

GrayFoxPL

I played WAY to much yesterday. I am having trouble adjusting to my Aoi, the changes in the system seemed to greatly affect my playing style with her, but it is going ok.

I am trying to play Aoi, Blaze and Vanessa equally. I played a lot of Aoi and Blaze in the old VF, trying to add some Vanessa to the mix. Great game! I have about 4 outfits for my 3 main characters.

Congrats, I can't focus on more then one character,t I really want to play Lau again, but I know it will fuck up my Jean play!

I have... 16 outfits for Jean. Made Hide from X-Japan.

It's kinda creepy how alike he looks.

Alx

I miss that move... :'(

I found a list of special winposes from vfdc.com. Came from http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/325884/1

Akira

- Dancing Cross Spear
- Ladder
- Hakkyoku Sword
- Bow Of Penetration

Pai

- Longsword
- Twirling Hoop
- Hop-Aboard Panda
- Stacking Bamboo Basket

Lau

- Willow Leaf Saber
- Cutie Pai Doll
- Meat Cleavers (Waist)
- Dragon Gong

Wolf

- Iron Axe (body back)
- Piko Hammer (legs back)
- Microphone Stand (body back)
- Football (legs back)

Jeffry

- Trophy Fish
- Saber (Waist)
- Trident
- Giganto Helmet (Forehead)

Kage

- Improved Throwing Star
- Twin Shinobi Swords
- Metal Basin
- Ninja Kite

Sarah

- Flying Broom
- Tennis Racket
- Giant Syringe
- Tension Blaster (Shins)

Jacky

- Milk (Waist)
- Pickaxe
- Dual Pistols (Waist)
- Sci-Fi Goggles (Face)

Shun

- Hero Mask (Face)
- Oak Staff
- Sepak Takraw Ball
- Cat Logo Locomotive

Lion

- Beach Flag (Waist)
- BMX Bike
- Linking Dual Swords
- Pet Dog

Aoi

- Dancing Naginata
- Cute Stage Mic (Waist)
- Aoi’s Photo Album
- Japanese Parasol

Lei-Fei

- Steel Fan
- Bamboo Stilts
- Staff
- Metal Briefcase

Vanessa

- Sharpshooter Rifle
- Barbell
- Throwing Knives (Waist)
- Handcuffs (Waist)

Brad

- Toy trumpet (waist)
- Bottle and Shaker (Waist)
- Mobile Phone (Waist)
- Rose Bouquet (Waist)

Goh

- Metal Pipe
- Cute Doll
- Rusty Saw
- Shamisen

Eileen

- Monkey Staff
- Recorder (Waist)
- Double Melon Hammers
- Magic Wand (Waist)

El Blaze

- Head-Mounted Boomerang (Forehead)
- Folding Chair
- Cannon
- Maracas (Waist)

Taka

- Bow
- Spiked Ogre Club
- Rice Bales
- Chanko Nabe Hot Pot

Jean

- Glass Bottle (Waist)
- Kiku-Ichimonji Sword
- Tonfas (Waist)
- Stone Lantern

SHAMELSS PLUGGING OF MY WEBSITE: http://thescrubdaily.com/2012/06/11/first/

Bizazedo

Man, this sounds like heresy, but I really prefer the game's balance back in Revision C. I kinda feel like FS focuses really hard on being offensive, and I personally enjoy more of the options in C. Not saying FS is bad, just a personal preference thing - relearning is a bitch.

I and a buddy feel the same way.

He's upset because Jeffry seems much weaker than before. I think I'm more annoyed just because I'm not used to the new system.

Still a great game, but, right now I prefer the prior version.

any advice vs aoi? i feel she is the ultimate newbie killer right now.

also, is there some secret contest going about how to create the ugliest character right now? i've met way too many zombie hags today.

AAK

also, is there some secret contest going about how to create the ugliest character right now? i've met way too many zombie hags today.

I play Aoi... is it because they're constantly in that reversal stance? Just grab them. That's how people adapt to me when I use it. But honestly, I'm no high level player.

Hilbert

Slow down, don't jab on instinct and try to get some throws and circular kicks in.

I play Aoi... is it because they're constantly in that reversal stance? Just grab them. That's how people adapt to me when I use it. But honestly, I'm no high level player.

Slow down, don't jab on instinct and try to get some throws and circular kicks in.

been trying that, but it's not that easy as it sounds vs higher dan players. guess i have to learn to detect her stances faster.

Hilbert

been trying that, but it's not that easy as it sounds vs higher dan players. guess i have to learn to detect her stances faster.

Find some fast moves that you can throw out that are harder to countered. Circulars, double handed or double footed or leaping moves all work ok against counter stance.

I play a lot of Aoi, you can hit me up and we can play some games and you can get a feel of playing against her if you like.

Find some fast moves that you can throw out that are harder to countered. Circulars, double handed or double footed or leaping moves all work ok against counter stance.

I play a lot of Aoi, you can hit me up and we can play some games and you can get a feel of playing against her if you like.

thanks, that's what i was looking for.

Solune

Even in a game where every normal attack is throw invincible, I'm getting hate mail for throwing dudes. Stay free, PSN.

Man I thought it was weird that I wasn't getting any throws off. Getting rushed the fuck down by Brad and it felt like I couldn't do anything.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I and a buddy feel the same way.

He's upset because Jeffry seems much weaker than before. I think I'm more annoyed just because I'm not used to the new system.

Still a great game, but, right now I prefer the prior version.

I can't tell if I'm butthurt because I suck more ass at this one, or if I genuinely prefer Revision C's style. Weh. Anyone else?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
they took out Eileen subaki move? that and the leaping punch was all I did in VF5 vanilla.

RIP Eileen ;_;

Hilbert

I can't tell if I'm butthurt because I suck more ass at this one, or if I genuinely prefer Revision C's style. Weh. Anyone else?

I was seriously hating it over the last one, but I am getting used to it. Just takes time to break through your muscle memory.

Evasion attacks, throw system, and the fact I can't seem to back off from the rising attacks as easily all made me dislike it at first.

Why the hell are down attacks so hard to pull of for Jacky. Or is it just me?

Is there some new timing aspect that I need to adjust to?

Not a fan of the lack of a soccer kick as well.

Regardless, I'm really digging this.

Top Bottom