• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

SickBoy

I get the sense on PSN that the people who really like Virtua Fighter are sticking around and the tourists are dropping off. Finding the calibre of competition to be picking up.

Discovered today that your ranking travels with you regardless of character. I was hoping that you'd have a separate ranking for each character. It's possible I may be too vain to deviate from Lau and face the prospect of losing rank at this point.

Anyhow, I love close matches. There are some higher-level players and play styles I just can't figure out (and therefore I take beatdowns from). But for a while I was mostly cruising and winning the majority of my matches -- frequently in three straight rounds. Now I find that I have to work harder and smarter to win.

The enjoyment is much greater when you feel you've got an opponent who's capable. Indeed, even many of those who outclass you can be fun to play against... I was playing a really solid Wolf the other day and although I lost three matches (maybe four) to him, there was some pleasure in being able to steal the occasional round.

Lately I've been playing the PS3 version since my friends bought it on that platform. PSNID: SYSTEM-Turn-A [With the hyphens.]

I'm a Sarah player. Always have been.

soakrates

Anyone played Koenraku on PSN? Beastly Kage, was using fuzzy guard and everything. I think I won a single game out of like eight or nine, haha....

JaxJag

Banned
I really love this game, hope it's not the last we ever see of this franchise.

Also, my gamertag is 'Jag', if anyone wants to jump on or something. I usually play in the afternoon after 5 est.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I, too, am hooked. I got the customization packs for both versions, and 8/12 achievements/trophies on both.

I hope this game sold well, making it free for PS Plus members had to help with the awareness a bit.

Pachimari

I'm actually digging this as well. I thought I were gonna main Vanessa but Pai seems to be more my style. Is she a good character to start with? Are there any other ways of defending oneself than pure blocking? And how do I get up fast after being knocked down?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I'm actually digging this as well. I thought I were gonna main Vanessa but Pai seems to be more my style. Is she a good character to start with?
She is fine, but really the most important thing is that you like the character and they fit how you play.
Are there any other ways of defending oneself than pure blocking?
Sabakis, low attacks, evasions, throw escapes, and just backing off come to mind. Do you want explanations of some of these? This is not sarcasm, if you are confused by an idea I am happy to explain it.
And how do I get up fast after being knocked down?
kick+punch + block and usually a direction right when you hit the ground. One of the shoulder buttons should correspond with this if you are using a pad.

bolded inline

Daigoro

I'm actually digging this as well. I thought I were gonna main Vanessa but Pai seems to be more my style. Is she a good character to start with? Are there any other ways of defending oneself than pure blocking? And how do I get up fast after being knocked down?

i like Pai a lot. havent played her in FS yet, but i really kind of want to start. used to play her in the older games and i really like her flow.

other ways of defending include side stepping and getting out of range of the attacker by back dashing.

get up fast by holding PKG right as you hit, or mashing them if you are down.

you should watch the tutorial videos posted last page. they will help.

Nopren

kick+punch + block and usually a direction right when you hit the ground. One of the shoulder buttons should correspond with this if you are using a pad.

Holy Shit! Why didn't I think of that? Been trying to hit all the three buttons on my pad like a sucker. This is gonna help so much with my recoveries.

Oh, and XSaftenX on 360 in Europe. I'm just starting out so still trying to learn basics.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Holy Shit! Why didn't I think of that? Been trying to hit all the three buttons on my pad like a sucker. This is gonna help so much with my recoveries.

Oh, and XSaftenX on 360 in Europe. I'm just starting out so still trying to learn basics.
I am happy to answer any questions no matter how basic. Feel free to PM me if you like, or post here.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm super glad that Trophy is just for playing ten ranked matches, and not winning then. In my ten I only won one! And I thought I was doing a lot better playing against the CPU too!

Oh well, I keep on trying to play the game like Street Fighter with footsies... doesn't work too well.

soakrates

Hey all. I'm on my way to SF for the next Southtown Arcade VF5FS tourney. I'll probably be doing some commentary as well. Akai from VFDC will be in attendance.

Tournament starts at around 7pm Pacific and will be streaming at twitch.tv/iplaywinner

saelz8

Hey all. I'm on my way to SF for the next Southtown Arcade VF5FS tourney. I'll probably be doing some commentary as well. Akai from VFDC will be in attendance.

Tournament starts at around 7pm Pacific and will be streaming at twitch.tv/iplaywinner

I'll be tuning in.

zlatko

Banned
Decided I will buy this game tomorrow if possible after looking at my wallet/funds.

Is Goh or Brad easy to learn the game with?

Decided I will buy this game tomorrow if possible after looking at my wallet/funds.

I haven't played with him yet, but Brad looks like a fairly easy character to use.

He doesn't seem to have a lot of fancy moves.

If you're getting this for PS3 and it's still available for $29.99, I'd get the complete edition. I wish I had gone for it over the vanilla.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown Beats Sales Targets in One Week

One week following its release, and the home conversion of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown has already crossed its sales targets for the Japanese market. The game's port team announced the early success via Twitter today

The notice concerns just Japan. There's no mention about the game's success in international markets.

http://andriasang.com/con1ff/vf5fs_sales/

Good news.

MightyKAC

I'd say Brad is easier to learn than Goh if you can get used to his slipping and ducking mix-ups. Goh OTOH isn't that difficult a character to learn either and IMO has much better damage potential.

But since the two characters play so differently the real question you wanna ask yourself is which one fits your own personal play style better.

Iztli

I just bought this game :D

The tutorial is great and loving how you fight the cpu to try what you just learned.

vanessa ftw :p

This is what I spent my Saturday evening trying to do consistently:

AvkjLziCQAA8jLs.jpg

I barely understand the game's mechanics but I'm trying to get this down for some reason, haha.

Xevren

It's my first VF title that I've gotten into and I have pretty much only played Goh. He's not that hard to learn IMO, it's more about learning how to play the game with actual live people that takes more time.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Can one of you guys please tell me where I go to find my Win/Loss ratio for either ranked or player matches? I've looked everywhere and I do not see anything in the game that tells me how many matches I've won or loss. Help?

MightyKAC

Can one of you guys please tell me where I go to find my Win/Loss ratio for either ranked or player matches? I've looked everywhere and I do not see anything in the game that tells me how many matches I've won or loss. Help?

When you're in the ranked lobby (custom matches) it tells you your wins and losses on the right hand side.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
It's a sign of someone who plays a lot, and hasn't tried to learned how to play.

General rule of thumb, if someone's score/matches is < 3, they probably aren't any good at ranked mode-style VF. (ranked VF and set play VF are two different animals entirely)

Just ran into one of my nuisances a few minutes ago. Was working on Jeff, played some player matches, ran into a Jacky who kept doing variations of the same thing- wasn't spamming any particular move, but he wouldn't do anything that would allow me to play in a non-boring way.

Ever thought that maybe it could be because some people who are higher ranked have a hard time finding people ranked higher than them?

Your comment isn't exactly correct. Once you hit Hunter you can only get promoted by beating people who are ranked higher than you.

alstein

If they are high ranked, and regularly losing to lower ranked, then it's a sign that they're possibly fraudulent, so that wouldn't apply. (You're going to lose some due to making the wrong reads, that's part of VF- I've seen a few folks with 90% win percentages, and they're monsters, mine is only around 67% and I think I'm at least competent at the time)

I'm referring to points not rank here. It's possible for someone with lots of matches to be of lower rank due to playing anyone and everyone. I go in ranked mode just to play people if player match has no one interesting, and I'll give anyone a shot there.

I really wish you could invite into player match since I hate the lobbies (so slow)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I put some cat ears on my Eileen. Impossibly keut. (&#9697;&#8255;&#9697;&#10047;)

Unfortunately, the cat ears can't win me very many battles, as I am hot fucking garbage. Wow. I haven't played VF since 4: Evo though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but still.

How often do you guys put together rooms on PSN? I wanna play with GAF.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for the input guys. I'll mess around with everyone. OP sort of confuses me in that, if I read it right, in SF you play against the character, but in VF you play against the player? Which makes me wonder how picking a character works in this game.

I'll just have to find the one with the most swag. :p

If they are high ranked, and regularly losing to lower ranked, then it's a sign that they're possibly fraudulent, so that wouldn't apply. (You're going to lose some due to making the wrong reads, that's part of VF- I've seen a few folks with 90% win percentages, and they're monsters, mine is only around 67% and I think I'm at least competent at the time)

I'm referring to points not rank here. It's possible for someone with lots of matches to be of lower rank due to playing anyone and everyone. I go in ranked mode just to play people if player match has no one interesting, and I'll give anyone a shot there.

I really wish you could invite into player match since I hate the lobbies (so slow)

How do you see win percentages?

Thanks for the input guys. I'll mess around with everyone. OP sort of confuses me in that, if I read it right, in SF you play against the character, but in VF you play against the player? Which makes me wonder how picking a character works in this game.

I'll just have to find the one with the most swag. :p

You still have to be familiar with character specific strings.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I like Jean but had to go back to Vanessa. She's just way too fun/complex/brutal. I actually use my son as a sparring partner. He plays mashy style so it's funny to see all the random shit he pulls off in any given situation. It's been good at getting me accustomed to being on my guard though. Spammy, fast attacks everywhere. But yeah, this game really is incredible. This and KoF XIII, best fighter combo in a long while

Atolm

I'm buying a HRAP V3 SA next month, it's the cheapest stick with Sanwa parts you can buy around here. It's been ages since the last I played with an arcade stick, maybe ten years or more, people will smash me for a while I'm afraid.

zlatko

Banned
I'm sure there's quite a bit more on psn, especially due to it being free from psn+

Yeah. Unfortunately I don't have a fight stick for my PS3. Maybe later on this year I'll be able to double dip on a new MadCatz TE.

My demo for the game failed once...super odd. Redownloading now so I can at least mess around with it before dropping the 1200 points.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Can someone give me six or so moves for each stance to practice as Vanessa, which moves should be my bread and butter?

...it's really best to feel this stuff out. Develop your own style, based off what you like doing with the character.

I'll make a few small suggestions, though:

Universal:
6+PKG: This should ram stance switches. A nice way to start a combo, and go into moves from the opposite stance.

66+KG: Hit them with this during a side step, and watch for a huge stun. Also a great spacing tool.

DS
4,6+K,P: crushes high punches on startup.
1+P: crushes lows, great for stopping enemey pressure.

OS
Anything that leads to Intruder Step, and it's branches.

Most of the other Vanessa's I've fought online all have their special styles, though. One of the things I'm enjoying most about this game is that everyones not a copycat of a specific play style. The large list of actual USEFUL moves gives each player nice wiggleroom to be creative.

BLACKLAC

Intruder Step is terrible. Don't use it.

Can someone give me six or so moves for each stance to practice as Vanessa, which moves should be my bread and butter?

DS:

iws(instant while standing) P: 13 frames. A great move to dictate the behavior of your opponent and leads to a nice juggle/throw mix-up game on CH. Practice buffering it off of P and when 1P hits.

6K: Solid 15 frame hit-throw.

4P+K: -2 on block +1 on side block, huge advantage on hit easy juggle on CH, all at 14 frames.

3K: great poking tool at mid range. Nasty combos on side CH.

1P+K: Ducks highs, safe, Nice combo on CH.

6P3K/K+G: for when you anticipate side step. The 3K can be delayed and tracks if they hit a button too early after side stepping and K+G gives massive frame advantage on CH.

2K+G: Don't abuse but when used right, Great range, baits 2P on hit if your opponent knows about it.

66K+G: 0 forward movement, knocks down on hit.

1P/46P,K: Sabaki's, son.

3P+K: Big damage juggle on hit.

6P+K+G

Throws

6P: 14 frames, baits 2p on block.

9P: Special high, what you use when you successfully bait 2P.

66K+G: Beast range and your primary tool to start a juggle when you side step your opponent

6K: On CH 6K,K,P,P guaranteed

66P: Quick, Nice wall stagger.

3K: Good rang, safe, has a string that can catch steppers. Nice crumple on side CH.

6P+K: 14 frame move that knockdowns on hit which you can combo off of, Nuff said.

1P: A lot like DS 2 K+G except quicker and safer.

4P,K: Step killer, special high K as a bonus

P,3P: Crumple on CH. Keeps people honest.

6P+K+G

66P+G

Top Bottom