• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Finally got a chance to play this, it's mad fun and I want to learn it.

Where should I go to learn how to play this game? In terms of how to properly approach a match, things to look for, etc. And maybe then I can move in top 10s (is there even top 10 moves for this game? My VF knowledge is weeeeeeeeeeak).

Rocking the world's scrubbiest Sarah Bryant, will buy on XBL within a week or two.

Been playing a bit on PSN, loving it so far! Really have never been that much into fighting games but obviously being a Sega fan I have some experience with the game.

Would love to play with some gaffers some time, especially if you wouldn't mind giving me some tips to get better. Been playing as Pai, always have since the dreamcast days.

PSN - neoJABES

Ok, so I loved this game before. I still do. I got it free with PS+.

So what's should I do about the costume packs? Buy um all? I only ever really play Pai. Buy the whole game in case I dont' continue PS+? Decisions.

Ok, so I loved this game before. I still do. I got it free with PS+.

So what's should I do about the costume packs? Buy um all? I only ever really play Pai. Buy the whole game in case I dont' continue PS+? Decisions.

I'm glad I bought the complete bundle.

I play Pai as well, but I get a kick out of seeing everybody else's creations online, which I would miss if I only had 1 or 2 packs.

I'm glad I bought the complete bundle.

I play Pai as well, but I get a kick out of seeing everybody else's creations online, which I would miss if I only had 1 or 2 packs.

So you can't see every characters outfit unless you own both packs? I'm really leaning towards just 1 pack. Maybe both or the bundle if there is a reason.

Man I missed 3d fighting

alstein

So you can't see every characters outfit unless you own both packs? I'm really leaning towards just 1 pack. Maybe both or the bundle if there is a reason.

Man I missed 3d fighting

You're on PS3, get the bundle. (think I saw you in player match earlier)
It goes up to regular price this Tuesday.

Shouta

Reached Defender rank on both PS3 and 360! :D

I need to play you, man!

Anyway, after getting used to the game system again with Lau, I've spent some time with El Blaze and he's just a ridiculous amount of fun. Got from 8th kyu to 2nd dan with him tonight. His play style just clicks well and has all the stuff I really like, lots of punch/kick combos I can do if I want or I can do the work and get throws in for damage as well. I showboat'd a little bit in ranked and that hurt a tad but felt good to get some of the harder throws in. I've even getting the hang of using Rocket Discharge against people. I love it when I get in someone's head and they expect me to drop kick from it but I flip and throw them.

alstein

I want to play Oichi also- I need some work in making my Aoi less fraudulent/more fun.

My Aoi strat right now is "try to make the opponent play shitty VF", then abare the hell out of them to make them pay for it. It's stupid and some folks can blow it up too easily.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
just discovered this thread: just discovered i had a GAF account - if you ever want games, bug me on le XBL (Ur Not Shidosha) or le twitter (@shidosha)

hopefully u arent a mashy pai cuz i'll just expose u XD

Edgeward

Finally got a chance to play this, it's mad fun and I want to learn it.

Where should I go to learn how to play this game? In terms of how to properly approach a match, things to look for, etc. And maybe then I can move in top 10s (is there even top 10 moves for this game? My VF knowledge is weeeeeeeeeeak).

Rocking the world's scrubbiest Sarah Bryant, will buy on XBL within a week or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5UcZ45X2qM&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJM6-yEVeBc&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4NoKl7Xkj4&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAHszyN-msg&feature=plcp

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
Oh - PS: I don't use my tourney characters online - i rage...
but if you want some taka practice i am the closest thing to a high lvl taka player you will see in US right now

P is Mid, K is Low, and there's a throw.

Thanks man, jeez I guess I'll try to sidestep it then.

One other question, I am a scrub and cannot for the life of me do Akira's 3P+G->P->466P+K. I always get the shoulder attack. I've tried hitting the 4 when I hit punch, but even that won't get the attack out. Is there some sort of secret I'm missing here? The demonstration in training mode shows the inputs as extremely fast, and I've tried it over and over again and can't get it, despite being able to pull off almost all of the rest of Akira's moveset.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Oh - PS: I don't use my tourney characters online - i rage...
but if you want some taka practice i am the closest thing to a high lvl taka player you will see in US right now

Shirt is finally a GAFFER. Don't forget I got you on the pass for EVO. Oh, and fuck Taka! Love, ShinobiFist :)

AAK

Is anything being done about that stupid stupid STUPID 30 sec timer? I keep trying to figure out a way to bypass it and fail.

Does anyone know the best way to reach Sega?

Malajax

Is anything being done about that stupid stupid STUPID 30 sec timer? I keep trying to figure out a way to bypass it and fail.

As I read elsewhere, that 30 second gap is the only time others can join the room. Not saying it can't be fixed, but they'd have to rework their room system as it is now.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

While you're at it, tell them to fix the after match menu in local VS to at least allow both players to control it. :/

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I would like them to fix the players met bug on PSN. It would also be neat to have little flags denoting a player's region next to their name so I don't have to challenge them to see if we have a good enough connection to play.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Daigoro

YEP! pretty sure im going to bhe stuck at Hunter for life here.

i am fucking terrible. not enjoying getting ass pounded by really scrubby Brads this morning.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lol i didnt know i got approved til today - i kept getting declined :/

Oh shit. You're that dude from the pre-launch party. One thing, dude: Please focus on the games in the stream and less on the players/yourself. I don't care if you have to switch to casual matches to do it but I'd rather watch play than watch players/commentators.

That's something that's an issue with the fighting game streams that I've seen, though, so it's not just you.

I need to play online, but I don't want to deal with the shitty FGC at all. :(

AAK

As I read elsewhere, that 30 second gap is the only time others can join the room. Not saying it can't be fixed, but they'd have to rework their room system as it is now.

What really? So If I'm in a lobby with a friend... I send an invite to a third person... timer runs out and we play our match.... during the match the third person accepts the invitation, will that third person be automatically kicked out of the lobby and I have to resend the invitation?

While you're at it, tell them to fix the after match menu in local VS to at least allow both players to control it. :/

Damn, I still haven't tried local vs yet.... Need to get the SRK crew in my city to start playing this game.

Daigoro

lol. just got home from a dog walk, nice clear head. i go into the custom lobby to look at my pitiful w/l record and Shidosha's Taka shows up. (didnt even know i was waiting for a match, never did custom before).

great way to get my confidence back up! :p

that's silly honestly.

im playing on 360 and ive had zero issues with anyone in over 500 ranked matches. its probably one of the nicer communities honestly.

even then, whats the worst that can happen, you get a nasty message? delete and or block the idiot.

who cares?

zlatko

Banned
Fucking License mode...

Completed 50 of them only to be presented with 50 more on hard difficulty :|

Speaking of license mode, I think I'm on #3 or #4, and it wants you to do PKG, which is what a counter? Something like "do this in defensive to switch to offensive"?

I'm doing it as Brad.

Help?

Skilletor

What an asinine thing to say.

Is everybody who plays online part of the "shitty" FGC?

I mean, you're posting in this thread. People here are playing online. You could, quite easily, make matches with any number of people here. Are you insulting all of us for being part of this "shitty" FGC?

Edgeward

Also allow everyone the ability to invite in rooms and not just the host.

Speaking of license mode, I think I'm on #3 or #4, and it wants you to do PKG, which is what a counter? Something like "do this in defensive to switch to offensive"?

I'm doing it as Brad.

Help?

Offensive move.

You do it while performing a defensive move(sidestep) with P+K+G.

zlatko

Banned
Offensive move.

You do it while performing a defensive move(sidestep) with P+K+G.

Oh so for Brad, I can do one of his ducks, or sways, and just bop them with a jab for it to count? Nice. Thank you.

I bought the game yesterday and I am absolutely in love with it haha. I tried out a few characters before I decided to purchase custom items for Brad. Goh wasn't jelling, Jean was, Brad was, and El Blaze was. Tried most of the cast, but those were the ones I was leaning towards. I boiled it down to Jean and Brad, and went with Brad since he reminded me the most of Steve Fox, but a bit simplified which I am digging a lot.

Now to get good. :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

I mean, you're posting in this thread. People here are playing online. You could, quite easily, make matches with any number of people here. Are you insulting all of us for being part of this "shitty" FGC?
TheSeks has had a few bad experiences and is reacting irrationally, largely to satisfy a preconceived notion.

Because, you know, random people on XBL are representative of the FGC, but not of XBL players in general.

Somehow.

AAK

Just ignore him, he obviously doesn't like me, you, or anyone associated with fighting games. So why should we bother replying to him?

Oh so for Brad, I can do one of his ducks, or sways, and just bop them with a jab for it to count? Nice. Thank you.

I bought the game yesterday and I am absolutely in love with it haha. I tried out a few characters before I decided to purchase custom items for Brad. Goh wasn't jelling, Jean was, Brad was, and El Blaze was. Tried most of the cast, but those were the ones I was leaning towards. I boiled it down to Jean and Brad, and went with Brad since he reminded me the most of Steve Fox, but a bit simplified which I am digging a lot.

Now to get good. :p

An offensive move is just an sidestep that covers greater distance. I don't think we are talking about the same thing...

Could you be a little more descriptive of what the mission wants you to do?

alstein

They really need to rework their system then. If SF4 can do it, why not VF, Sega's programmers are much more competent.

The current system has shoved folks into ranked matches, and hurt the quality of online play in the process.

YEP! pretty sure im going to bhe stuck at Hunter for life here.

i am fucking terrible. not enjoying getting ass pounded by really scrubby Brads this morning.

You can graduate from fraud hunter if you take it calm and learn the game. Figure out what sort of things are beating you, then try different counters until you find some that work, then use those.
There's ALWAYS an answer for everything in VF- this is what makes it different than the other fighters- the answers are there, and you don't need godlike reflexes to find an answer. (there's nothing like Sakura SF4 unblocks for example)

As for the hatemail- I've found that while the VF comm is nice, right now it's not just the VF comm playing- you've got your online warriors out there also, and some of those folks aren't good- and they are the ones you remember. I've gotten some hatemail for my Aoi, and I've been trying to learn to have a more interesting char to play if folks go 2P/5P/throw boring-ass VF offline, because I want to promote this game, and Aoi's answers to that are flashier than Jeff's.

Skilletor

TheSeks has had a few bad experiences and is reacting irrationally, largely to satisfy a preconceived notion.

Because, you know, random people on XBL are representative of the FGC, but not of XBL players in general.

Somehow.

Just ignore him, he obviously doesn't like me, you, or anyone associated with fighting games. So why should we bother replying to him?

Got it.

Anyway, had a really long set with an Akira player. I really need to work on my movement. I don't use sidesteps often enough.

Question: When somebody does a low counter, are they considered standing or crouching?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!

Yeah, exactly. There's no reason to give attention to a person who's willing to paint a large brush over a group of fellow gamers.

Got it.

Anyway, had a really long set with an Akira player. I really need to work on my movement. I don't use sidesteps often enough.

Question: When somebody does a low counter, are they considered standing or crouching?

Considered standing.

Top Bottom