• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

GrayFoxPL

Is it me or Akira is way easier to handle in this then any VF before?

You can do 46 go for a sandwich, come back and hit 6P+K and godly shoulder will still come out.

Learned how to beat scrubby Lions. My mission is complete. ;)

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
Is it me or Akira is way easier to handle in this then any VF before?

You can do 46 go for a sandwich, come back and hit 6P+K and godly shoulder will still come out.

Learned how to beat scrubby Lions. My mission is complete. ;)

lol how many of them spammed lows on you? be honest

GrayFoxPL

lol how many of them spammed lows on you? be honest

Everyone of them, but that double low sweep is actually shit as you can block the second sweep on reaction even if first hits and punish.

Almost every Lion I met played exactly the same, pros need to fight for this character's honor, lol.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks. Kept trying to low throw this guy, thought it was online/my timing.

There's low throws? I thought you can only throw a standing opponent.

Most of the matches I've won with brad starting out I've just been a dick who does crouching punches, or a quick punch punch throw/side step throw. If you can do a throw on a crouching opponent too, then I can up my low poke game to have some mix up potential.

If I'm just starting out at the game, what do you guys suggest I read up/watch?

Everyone of them, but that double low sweep is actually shit as you can block the second sweep on reaction even if first hits and punish.

Almost every Lion I met played exactly the same, pros need to fight for this character's honor, lol.
Yup. A feast of low throws for the Wolfster, brother.

Daigoro

You can graduate from fraud hunter if you take it calm and learn the game. Figure out what sort of things are beating you, then try different counters until you find some that work, then use those.
There's ALWAYS an answer for everything in VF- this is what makes it different than the other fighters- the answers are there, and you don't need godlike reflexes to find an answer. (there's nothing like Sakura SF4 unblocks for example)

so, get better and stop sucking then? i might just try that! (i know you are trying to be helpful, im just pissy cause i suck)

Skilletor

Most of the matches I've won with brad starting out I've just been a dick who does crouching punches, or a quick punch punch throw/side step throw. If you can do a throw on a crouching opponent too, then I can up my low poke game to have some mix up potential.

Some characters have low throws. Vanessa does. :) Probably Wolf and Jeffrey, I'd guess.

NEO0MJ

Well, just picked this up on PSN. Finding the system kinda weird, but that's probably because I'm not used to playing 3D fighters. I know this has been said many times before but what's a good site to get a picture of how this game flows? Also, tutorial 17/18 is confusing me, where you press 33 G to block attacks and avoid throws.

Edit: also PSN is Neo0MJ. I live in the middle east, so it will probably be difficult to get a good connection going...

GrayFoxPL

so, get better and stop sucking then? i might just try that! (i know you are trying to be helpful, im just pissy cause i suck)

Lol. Actually I think you do need godlike reflexes more then anything in VF, that and knowledge of all characters moves and properties.

But to be really good you need to be descendant of a ninja or a samurai, lol.

alstein

About half the cast has low throws of some sort. If you ever run into fuzzy guard, low throw is the best way to break a fuzzy.

Don't sweat crouching punches, as long as you use them properly. They're hating on mostly because of spammers and folks who don't know how to deal with the spam. That said, if you run into a genuine spammer, feel free to 2P them out of existence.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Intruder Step is terrible. Don't use it.

Eh, wouldn't say that. It is a horrible thing to use aganist people who move a lot and jab / crouch jab out of EVERYTHING, but if you can get people to fear you sabakis and mix-ups, going from Intruder Step -> Spear Tackle can work out very well, for example.

Intruder Step -> Roll toe kick is also good for grounding them during juggle combos.

I find that in mirror matches, it's the unpredictable moves that often win battles. The stuff that is too familiar is easily read by a skilled opponent, but digging deep into the movelist will throw an opponent off their game if used properly.

All the rest of your info was a good read! Always good to see others perspectives on things.

mattfabb

Banned
Oh shit. You're that dude from the pre-launch party. One thing, dude: Please focus on the games in the stream and less on the players/yourself. I don't care if you have to switch to casual matches to do it but I'd rather watch play than watch players/commentators.

That's something that's an issue with the fighting game streams that I've seen, though, so it's not just you.

I need to play online, but I don't want to deal with the shitty FGC at all. :(

Dosha is great, I dont know what youre talking about.

Also...shitty FGC?

Shouta

Yep, lots of characters have low throws. Unlike a lot of fighting games, the throw game in VF is very rich. It's pretty significant and works well too. It gives players options and styles that they can use when they play.

I'll be at Evo as well as I posted a page or two back.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'll be there. Saw you at e3 but didn't want to step up. I will next time though.

I just had Gummo fix and upgrade the shit out of my dual mod stick. He did it for free, paid for shipping all on his own and never asked for a cent. "Shitty" FGC is the furthest thing from the truth.

The 'shitty' FGC is largely confined to stream monster types, who I would suspect as being the same people you find online that send hate mail, act like idiots, etc. They are technically a part of the FGC, they are playing the games, watching the streams, etc.

But they hardly represent the core of the FGC - the people who actually make it a community in more ways than a mere association of otherwise unrelated people who happen to be doing the same thing at the moment.

One could say that the average stream monster, online console rage-bag, and bottom tier forum dweller will never know what the FGC is about. They do, however, provide a robust source of frustration for people to go on about and say "Shitty FGC!" when it gets under their skin.

zlatko

Banned
Yep, lots of characters have low throws. Unlike a lot of fighting games, the throw game in VF is very rich. It's pretty significant and works well too. It gives players options and styles that they can use when they play.

I'll be at Evo as well as I posted a page or two back.

Body everyone for me.

Who do you play?

So what are all the various directions that throws can be broken?

What directions are ground and crouching throws broken?

And throws from grapple holds and tackles?

hiro4

Played around 20 matches today and won around 75% of those matches. I'm now first or second Dan.

I'm finally getting the hang of how much distance I have to keep and how far the move travels with Wolf. Still have to practice a lot more before I can say that I play like I did with VF4Evo but I'm having a lot of fun.

Also I have to use the throws way more then I do now. They do so much damage and look so awesome. I do mis the double Frankensteiner but the knee to the back forward throw is one of the best. Also I finished one match with a wall throw. So good.

Next time I want to play some gaffers. Going to add a bunch of you guys to my PSN :)

I am actually asking for common directions for all those questions, I know there is back, forward, and neutral, but is there more? Like down, d/f, etc?
No. If someone uses downback to low throw you, back is the escape. If they use down to ground throw you, you use neutral (ground throws are 50/50s since there are no back commands for ground throws). If they throw you using forward from a clinch, the escape is forward.

Forward, back, and neutral are the only throw directions you ever need.

EDIT: Tested it. You need to use the down, downback, or downforward commands to escape the low and ground throws.

galvatron

Latest VF5 tournament from Southtown Arcade is now on YT -- some great Brad play from Renzo, and Shun players should like Crazy Drunk as well. Fun times, cant wait till the next one. :)

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2012/6/...al-showdown-sta-ranbat-14-finale-replays.html

edit: cant type. lol. -_-

Nice. I caught the semis and onward in that stream and the Brad play is no joke. Good stuff from your Goh, as well, but I didn't get to see much of it.

Were there any Jean's there that made a decent showing?

EDIT: Tested it. You need to use the down, downback, or downforward commands to escape the low and ground throws.
Good to know

Skilletor

Too true. I'm still looking forward to DOA for the spectacle and Tekken for the roster...but...

VF has changed me.

Yeah, pretty much the same. I've lost hope that DoA will ever be a competitive fighter. I'm just going to settle for fun.

I've never been the biggest Tekken fan, but if online is as good as SC5, it'll get some playtime from me.

Dat Jun/Kuni combo. :D

MightyKAC

Decided to pick up El Blaze as a secondary to balance out the asshole factor that is my Brad.

He's tough as hell to start out with but really rewarding to play (and win) with once you figure out his general mix-up/mind games play style.

Anyway, still tinkering with a character customization for him.

tumblr_m52cu43Lwl1qmvrt4o1_500.jpg
RXmTll.jpg

Whaddya think Gaf?

Shouta

If I had known about the full customization package I would've bought it but I only got the barebones download, oh well. Doesn't stop me from throwing people with Blaze.

Right now, I gotta get more punch/kick combos in for Blaze so I can switch up more easily during a fight. Blaze's movement options are pretty sweet if you know how to use them to boot. Kind of annoying to play precisely but get opponents that just low punches everywhere though. I gotta throw them low punches then too.

BLACKLAC

Eh, wouldn't say that. It is a horrible thing to use aganist people who move a lot and jab / crouch jab out of EVERYTHING, but if you can get people to fear you sabakis and mix-ups, going from Intruder Step -> Spear Tackle can work out very well, for example.

Intruder Step -> Roll toe kick is also good for grounding them during juggle combos.

I find that in mirror matches, it's the unpredictable moves that often win battles. The stuff that is too familiar is easily read by a skilled opponent, but digging deep into the movelist will throw an opponent off their game if used properly.

All the rest of your info was a good read! Always good to see others perspectives on things.

From my experience it's just way too easy to hit her out of this stance, and the time you wasted using it could be better spent on something else. Your opponent has all day to P her out of it so there is no reason to fear it. I loved using it in Vanilla but in FS? Meh, Same for 44K+G. As far as I'm concerned these are nothing more than a novelty stance/move.

Maybe on some occasions OS 4K6,P/throw for oki traps..... No point in using the K when descending K is better.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Nice. I caught the semis and onward in that stream and the Brad play is no joke. Good stuff from your Goh, as well, but I didn't get to see much of it.

Were there any Jean's there that made a decent showing?

Good to know

If you go back to some of our previous tournament Renzo played a ton of Jean and did really well for himself. High recommend you to check out those videos. :)

I am a real Canadian! Fight for the rights of Newfoundland:

EvnRA.jpg

Sega, VF6 needs more customization options! Plus people who don't buy the DLC need to be able to at least see the custom items. :D

Keep making your sweet, sweet fighting game; but lift Namco's character customization from Soul Calibur.

Wolf players, can we use the R.A.W. Avenger to interrupt a combo string? I think I did this yesterday when a Goh was smacking me around and I started blocking, then on his last hit I input the command and had him in my manly embrace. Then he was eating SQUARED CIRCLE, BROTHER!

Top Bottom