• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

akuma001

Does anyone know what happens when you complete all the license challenges?

some screen comes out like how you rank up in ranked mode that tells you you've completed it and i think you unlock a gamer picture but i forget because every thing happened so fast when i beat it because i was pressing buttons. :/

Daigoro

ok i need help. been getting punished all day by a certain kind of attack that i cant figure out how to defend.

when im on the ground from getting knocked down im getting jumped on by leaping attacks, by a few characters in particular. if i can get up in time, i still can seem to evade or block it and it hits me like 99% of the time. i think ive dodged and gotten in a strike by luck once or twice, but i cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong.

any advice?

edit: i think i found the answer:
Heavy Down Attacks

Heavy Down Attacks or Pounces are performed with [8][P]. The character leaps into the air to jump on the grounded opponent. Pounces are classified as mid level, so if you're in the process of getting up, you need to be able to stand and guard by the time the Pounce's hit frames become active in order to block it. Heavy down attacks do approximately 25 pts of damage.

gotta work on this. been getting punished.

How many ranks in game? I asked some random fighter and he said about 50. True?
http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubb...25729/gonew/1/VF5FS Online Rank Titles#UNREAD

this is whats known so far.

LowParry

Knowing there's a basics tutorial in the game itself, I feel that I'm missing a lot about this game in terms of fundamentals. Is there some sort of online guide/videos I could find? I have the hardest time dealing with the low attack spammers, to just simply getting up on the fly when I get knocked down. I know of part of me is trying to play this like Tekken but man, just a little flustered how the game works as a whole and it's not clicking with me. Is Jean not a good beginner character?

ok i need help. been getting punished all day by a certain kind of attack that i cant figure out how to defend.

when im on the ground from getting knocked down im getting jumped on by leaping attacks, by a few characters in particular. if i can get up in time, i still can seem to evade or block it and it hits me like 99% of the time. i think ive dodged and gotten in a strike by luck once or twice, but i cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong.

any advice?

edit: i think i found the answer:

gotta work on this. been getting punished.

http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubb...25729/gonew/1/VF5FS Online Rank Titles#UNREAD

this is whats known so far.

Are you teching? If you tech, you will have more than enough time to get up and punish.

LakeEarth

I'm going to try to get into this. What's the easiest, most bullshit character in this game? And don't say Akira cause I know you're lying.

Jackie seems pretty derp.

Daigoro

Knowing there's a basics tutorial in the game itself, I feel that I'm missing a lot about this game in terms of fundamentals. Is there some sort of online guide/videos I could find? I have the hardest time dealing with the low attack spammers, to just simply getting up on the fly when I get knocked down. I know of part of me is trying to play this like Tekken but man, just a little flustered how the game works as a whole and it's not clicking with me. Is Jean not a good beginner character?

http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/69/1/New Starter

check the starter forum at VFDC there are a few tutorial and a link to the Sega tutorial vids on youtube.

check these out too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJM6-yEVeBc&feature=youtu.be

galvatron

trying yep. some of the things i was getting downed with were hard to time the roll out of though. also im probably bad at it.

I think he meant pressing P + K + G the second you hit the ground. You'll get up so fast that your opponent's 8+P will likely not come out.

yep. i know what a tech roll is. not always easy to do depending on what sent you down. for me anyways.
It is going to take sone practice. Wake up was one of things I struggled when I first started, too. Just keep playing and it will come naturally. For the mean time, just mash it out.

For the record, there are some hard knockdowns you cannot tech roll.

Daigoro

It is going to take sone practice. Wake up was one of things I struggled when I first started, too. Just keep playing and it will come naturally. For the mean time, just mash it out.

that may be part of it.

im not mashing. well past that at this point.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It feels like there's so many more hard knockdowns in this revision, makes me cry when I see it happen to me.

shaowebb

Maximillian sold me on this. The footsies and such in this game seem very VERY reminiscent of the kind of stuff that took place in real sparring matches from when I was in Kung Fu. Considering I hadn't played this series since Dreamcast which was before my kung fu days my memories of it are nearly non existent in how it actually works.

Still the switch stances and major emphasis on opponent reading over TOD combo emphasis and all that has me very interested in seeing how this feels compared to kung fu.

Add me to the player list Dynasty Penguin on Xbox 360

I finally got around to buying all the DLC. Oh my god was it worth it! When I saw how many parts I could customize I was amazed. Especially being a Sega fan since the 80's many of the accessories put a big smile on my face.

soakrates

I'm going to try to get into this. What's the easiest, most bullshit character in this game? And don't say Akira cause I know you're lying.

I'd say Taka. Easy combos, great damage, strong throw game and it's harder to land damaging combos on him because he's so damn heavy.

That said, Reno did mention once that every character has some bullshit that will only work on Taka. That doesn't seem to stop him from being S-tier, though. Not that this is the type of game that really rewards tier whoring.

Grifter

what do you guys do about wake-up attacks? they're hard to beat outright and can be hard to dash away from due to reach, and even then you're dashed far away and it's hard to punish.

It feels like there's so many more hard knockdowns in this revision, makes me cry when I see it happen to me.

yeah, it does feel like I get knocked down a lot where I can't tech roll, nor get up in time to block the pounce. I'm mashing G, dunno if there's anything else to do.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

THE BRAD SHOW.

PPPPPPPPPPPP~PPPPPPPP~PPPKPPPPPP~PKPPPPPPPKPPPPP...

GrayFoxPL

what do you guys do about wake-up attacks? they're hard to beat outright and can be hard to dash away from due to reach, and even then you're dashed far away and it's hard to punish.

Jump punch if too close, it'll get the sweep but not the other kick. 50-50

If theres time and space I bait the sweep, stay close for a second, backdash and 66P,46K+G or 6K+G,PP on counter hit with Jean. I tried to hit wakeup attack at the start so many times resulting polygons clashing, punching through opponent etc. Invincible wakeup is such bullshit.

KageMaru

I'm not arguing which version is better.

Has anyone checked the native resolution of VF5 FS ? It doesn't work when I set my PS3 to 1080p only, reverts to 480p. So I guess VF5 FS got rid of that mode ?

Both versions look to be 720p with FXAA according to Al at B3D. There may be TAA added, which would cause the blur seen in both versions.

"what do you guys do about wake-up attacks? they're hard to beat outright and can be hard to dash away from due to reach, and even then you're dashed far away and it's hard to punish."

There are some characters that have moves that reach far enough, fast enough to punish a whiffed wake up attack. If you watch high level players, you'll see they don't dash away, but jump away. Other than that, Wakeup attacks are pretty seeable and with Shun at least, I can just k+g the sweep wakeup and get free damage.

Had a great couple of matches with a new VF friend. Aoi vs Akira most of the time, awesome matchup.

I love Aoi's options in this one. Maybe I didn't catch them last time, but it seems she has loads of new usable moves for most situations. She might need some way to deal huge damage on an opening, but I'm doing fine so far.

Oh, and her umbrella win pose is fantastic. If only I could trigger it every time.

fernoca

Brad haters gonna hate!
I still rocking the tanned/swimsuit wearing Brad I did, online.

Too bad, most may not be seeing him in all his glory. XD

LowParry

If all they are doing with Taka is spamming punch, you can duck the third punch and 2P.

Yeeeeeah. The game's just been a bit intimidating for me. Love the game. Just trying to get the simple basics down still since I keep trying to play this game like Tekken. So when I'm up against people who spam attacks like crazy, I freeze and start to panic when I know it should be an easy counter. Goh on the other hand is really fun to play against. Guy does some crazy damage.

Grifter

I suck at the basics too. If anyone's up to drill some noobisms, hit me up on XBL - grifter 181. Gonna buy some costume DLC today.

alstein

Had a great couple of matches with a new VF friend. Aoi vs Akira most of the time, awesome matchup.

I love Aoi's options in this one. Maybe I didn't catch them last time, but it seems she has loads of new usable moves for most situations. She might need some way to deal huge damage on an opening, but I'm doing fine so far.

Oh, and her umbrella win pose is fantastic. If only I could trigger it every time.

Someone on VFDC was saying up+guard triggers item poses, but that's unconfirmed.

Aoi does lack high damage compared to the rest of the cast. She wins by hitting you more and getting more turns- you have to take risks with her that you don't with other characters, but she can make those risks pay off.

I use Aoi and Jeff, and folks I was playing with yesterday said my Jeff was better but my Aoi was much more fun.

Shouta

Well, been getting a bit serious with practice recently and to make sure I stick to it, I've entered the VF5Fs tourny at Evo this year. Gonna have to get some serious practice for it in the next 3 weeks or so.

Yeeeeeah. The game's just been a bit intimidating for me. Love the game. Just trying to get the simple basics down still since I keep trying to play this game like Tekken. So when I'm up against people who spam attacks like crazy, I freeze and start to panic when I know it should be an easy counter. Goh on the other hand is really fun to play against. Guy does some crazy damage.
I'm kind of feeling the same way.

It's like I've hit a skill wall or something, where I'm no longer just mashing buttons, but the more I try to think of what I'm doing the less successful I am.

Try Pai, I'm doing well with her and I'm mostly 3 hitting punch kicks and guarding/evading.

Very fast character.

Akira may not be the easiest character but I'm a fairly shitty fighting game player and I find that there's something very satisfying about playing Akira.

I was saying there was incentive for hardcore VF players to head for the 360 version when it came out. This is not a debate about which platform is superior.

You tried to argue the X360 has a larger VF5 FS community because (according to you) most VF5 players got it on X360.

The first part is obviously wrong, compare the scoreboards. There are now over 40k players on PSN.

And I think you're wrong on the second part as well. I believe VF5 sold more copies on PS3 because it was out on that platform first, and PS3 is more popular in Japan. The rev c revision and online of X360 is a red herring. Yes it made that version better, but it's not evidence that it sold better. Now let's drop this shall we ?

Grifter

what characters have customizations to look like characters from outside franchises? I saw that kage that looked like geese howard, for example.

Top Bottom