• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Custom outfit you can make with the DLC, yes. If you're saying wow at that, I'm guessing you haven't seen that many customized characters. Some of the costumes I've seen are nuts.

I got the $15 version and have been kicking myself since.

I'll get the DLC eventually. I need a stick too.

I am a real Canadian! Fight for the rights of Newfoundland:

EvnRA.jpg
0WqWX.jpg

4MvyU.jpg

qFh0z.jpg

VF6 is gon' be cray.

I just hope they let us do elbows, kneepads, and all of that stuff separately. Because having red kneepads and yellow trunks and boots in the game and not being able to use them all at once for a proper Hulkster hurts my spirit. And they even have the bandanas, but you can't use it with the blond hair. :(

Daigoro

I just had Gummo fix and upgrade the shit out of my dual mod stick. He did it for free, paid for shipping all on his own and never asked for a cent. "Shitty" FGC is the furthest thing from the truth.

oh sweet i should send my sticks off too. i assume he does this for everyone? i love the FGC! :p

zlatko

Banned
So got to license challenge 9 I think it was. Having a super hard time figuring out how to do this. :/

Seriously though...I'm getting super drawn into this games mechanics. Not to poop on Tekken or anything as I'll be getting TTT2 day 1, but VF is so much more approachable than Tekken for me as a relative newbie to 3D fighters.

Xevren

So got to license challenge 9 I think it was. Having a super hard time figuring out how to do this. :/

Seriously though...I'm getting super drawn into this games mechanics. Not to poop on Tekken or anything as I'll be getting TTT2 day 1, but VF is so much more approachable than Tekken for me as a relative newbie to 3D fighters.

That the parry one? Just be sure to really vary your attacks and not use the same ones too much. They start getting parry happy if you repeat yourself.

Xevren

Yeah, I don't think I have ever seen anyone in player before. Ranked goes so fast and it's easy to find people anyway. Had so many good games tonight, the online in this is so fantastic <3

Souther

Banned
Just took out a dude that had around 450BP more than me and was 7th Dan to my 1st.
3-0 with 1 perfect using Goh. That felt good. It feels nice to crush people using Goh.

DR2K

Banned
I'm taking Hunters out with mashed strings and low jabs. Of course they catch on, by then it's too late and Sarah be trolling on her broom elsewhere.

"I'm taking Hunters out with mashed strings and low jabs. Of course they catch on, by then it's too late and Sarah be trolling on her broom elsewhere."

Anyone can get to Hunter, it doesn't actually mean anything significant because you still make progress to the next rank until you reach Hunter and you can't be demoted from Hunter.

VF6 is gon' be cray.

I just hope they let us do elbows, kneepads, and all of that stuff separately. Because having red kneepads and yellow trunks and boots in the game and not being able to use them all at once for a proper Hulkster hurts my spirit. And they even have the bandanas, but you can't use it with the blond hair. :(

Yeah.

You should be able to customize the character body, skin tone, eye color, hair color, facial hair color preferably with RGB values. Then items should be added as you see fit. There are many items here that are close to a proper Macho Man Randy Savage, but because of fixed hair colors with them they don't work. Same for NWO Hogan. I wanted to make him with the black bandana, but you end up with red hair. :(

Made it to hunter after much grinding with Wolf. Uggghhhh - who's a glutton for punishment? This guy!

Any word on if the RAW Avenger can be used to interrupt a combo mid string? Or if I interrupt a Jerky or Brad who is mashing crap out, do I need to input the throw command lickety split like the Izuna Drop?

I end up catching a limb, then eating shit because they're mashing to dickens out of PPPK. D:

AAK

Damn... played against a Leifei player today that just utterly destroyed me. For some reason it felt like I could never reach him during his stances. Even at point blank range my moves were whiffing...damn.

DR2K

Banned
"I'm taking Hunters out with mashed strings and low jabs. Of course they catch on, by then it's too late and Sarah be trolling on her broom elsewhere."

Anyone can get to Hunter, it doesn't actually mean anything significant because you still make progress to the next rank until you reach Hunter and you can't be demoted from Hunter.

Some of these guys actually knew how to deal with some of my BS than the usual. I'm not a fan of the ranking system, people leveling up after I beat them. I guess it's like that in the arcade?

"Some of these guys actually knew how to deal with some of my BS than the usual. I'm not a fan of the ranking system, people leveling up after I beat them. I guess it's like that in the arcade?"

So far as I know it's identical? I dunno if you still make progress in the Dans after a loss in the arcade though. Once you hit Raider/Barbarian, etc. you lose progress and I believe you can be demoted to a previous rank.

alstein

Some of these guys actually knew how to deal with some of my BS than the usual. I'm not a fan of the ranking system, people leveling up after I beat them. I guess it's like that in the arcade?

Just consider the ranking system to start at Hunter.

Sorc3r3r

Bought with the ps+ deal, it's awesome as only VF can be.
Played a couple of online matches with my Lei Fei and destroyed some mindless combo Brad and Aoi spammer.

This is why i love this game, noobs have not a single chance to win, you have to use your brain, read your rival intentions and patterns, steal and gain the flow of the attacks.
Greatness this game is.

Really liking the game, but it has the same problem with other fighting games, in that I suck at them. Although this game I don't get my ass handed to me regularly like in Street Fighter. I can put up a pretty good fight against pretty much anyone I play.

For some reason, this game also makes me really excited for Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I gonna try and get deep into that game, as I loved the first Tekken Tag.

Really liking the game, but it has the same problem with other fighting games, in that I suck at them. Although this game I don't get my ass handed to me regularly like in Street Fighter. I can put up a pretty good fight against pretty much anyone I play.

For some reason, this game also makes me really excited for Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I gonna try and get deep into that game, as I loved the first Tekken Tag.
Try to use jabs, elbows, and a knockdown low, remember that 95% of strings end high or low and can be ducked and punished, and sidestepping is a good option.

Try not to be so passive too, mount an offense.

Wait, so you still rank up even when you lose? I don't do ranked, just player matches, but in Vanilla 5 online I don't think this was the case, and it wasn't easy to rank up past Master either; you had to win 5 matches in a row against tenth dan opponents or be demoted to tenth yourself if you lost. Here ranking up just seems to be a matter of just playing constantly

Wait, so you still rank up even when you lose? I don't do ranked, just player matches, but in Vanilla 5 online I don't think this was the case, and it wasn't easy to rank up past Master either; you had to win 5 matches in a row against tenth dan opponents or be demoted to tenth yourself if you lost. Here ranking up just seems to be a matter of just playing constantly

Yes, that's seems to be the case now. I guess it is just Sega's way of making the game more noob friendly so people would keep playing.

"Wait, so you still rank up even when you lose? I don't do ranked, just player matches, but in Vanilla 5 online I don't think this was the case, and it wasn't easy to rank up past Master either; you had to win 5 matches in a row against tenth dan opponents or be demoted to tenth yourself if you lost. Here ranking up just seems to be a matter of just playing constantly"

Only until you get to Hunter rank.

I don't want to play ranked matches because I don't know how to play the game and I can't find actual people to try against. =(

All the bad players are on ranked though.

Decent players on both ranked and player matches this morning though. Learned that the key to beating Aoi is to block AND punish since they don't play very safe.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Got the game, it's fucking great to get back into VF after playing so much VF4 on PS2 with friends. Still a bit rusty though.

European players, add me up! My PSN ID is Mistouze666

zlatko

Banned
That the parry one? Just be sure to really vary your attacks and not use the same ones too much. They start getting parry happy if you repeat yourself.

It is the parry one, but I have no clue what buttons to hit to accomplish it or when. I literally don't know how to parry at all. I was looking at the tutorials and trying to do the different chunks for defensive and evasion, but I could not find it in there in the quick check I did before I was done for the day.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
It is the parry one, but I have no clue what buttons to hit to accomplish it or when. I literally don't know how to parry at all. I was looking at the tutorials and trying to do the different chunks for defensive and evasion, but I could not find it in there in the quick check I did before I was done for the day.

I don't think you parry, you have to make sure your opponent cannot parry.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
There's low throws? I thought you can only throw a standing opponent.
Yeah... been ruining people's days for years with Jeffry's knees and powerbombs. Wolf has a bunch. Akira and Kage were really bad back in VF2 since their low punches were so quick. You had to learn to shoot in as soon as you saw the frame where they started to bend.

MightyKAC

Note to self: Playing El Blaze the same way I play El Fuerte only works juuuust so long. :p

Just watched a little bit of Maximilian's "week of VF" and I am starting to see where all the Jackys were coming from last week.

Love me some Maximilian, but MAN do I fucking hate Jacky.

soakrates

Damn... played against a Leifei player today that just utterly destroyed me. For some reason it felt like I could never reach him during his stances. Even at point blank range my moves were whiffing...damn.
His stance transitions do have some evasive properties at times. It's best just to hit the lab and figure out what his options are. Lei Fei can gimmick the hell out of people if they're not prepared.

Played the side tourney at CEO. Lost both times but they were close and I was happy with it. Super nervous with all the players (Floe and Gamerbee were in the tourney) standing right there. I played Jacky but he's been my main since VF1. Gamerbee's Akira was incredible. My friend who plays VF had to go against him both times and only took a round off of him.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Played ten matches to get the trophy and got to 7th Kyu, enough for me tonight! Thanks to the PSN+ offer there's enough player online to not wait between matches but only three players had customs. The others can't see my SupahJak, too bad for them I guess lol
OjF5E.jpg

I need to play against more T.Arashis and Jeans as they got me off guard more often than I'd like.

sonicmj1

After playing Aoi for a while, I realized I wasn't making great use of her tools, so I switched back to Goh because I love his style. He just wants to pound the crap out of people. It's great. I'm basically maintaining a stable 3:1 Battle Points to Games Played ratio.

I feel like my fundamentals are improving, but I need to get better at applying my moveset. I'm using PP and down-forward PP almost exclusively as my means of doing damage. I always like the concept of doing mixups with the back-forward PK string, but I've never applied it in a match. And I'm always afraid to go for launchers.

How can I open people up besides using throws, or blocking and waiting for an opening? What should I do when I'm at a distance and want to keep my opponent from approaching?

soakrates

Played the side tourney at CEO. Lost both times but they were close and I was happy with it. Super nervous with all the players (Floe and Gamerbee were in the tourney) standing right there. I played Jacky but he's been my main since VF1. Gamerbee's Akira was incredible. My friend who plays VF had to go against him both times and only took a round off of him.
Any idea how many entered the CEO tourney? I didn't even know there was one.

Also, DAILY BLOW-UP: http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner

After playing Aoi for a while, I realized I wasn't making great use of her tools, so I switched back to Goh because I love his style. He just wants to pound the crap out of people. It's great. I'm basically maintaining a stable 3:1 Battle Points to Games Played ratio.

I feel like my fundamentals are improving, but I need to get better at applying my moveset. I'm using PP and down-forward PP almost exclusively as my means of doing damage. I always like the concept of doing mixups with the back-forward PK string, but I've never applied it in a match. And I'm always afraid to go for launchers.

How can I open people up besides using throws, or blocking and waiting for an opening? What should I do when I'm at a distance and want to keep my opponent from approaching?

1. Lows, sidestepping(defensive moves), backdashing, Guard break moves(don't know if Goh has any).

2. Goh is a "grappler" though, you'll generally want your opponents close, I think.

For launchers, a simple CH P should give you enough frame advantage to just throw one out. You can also go for launchers after a successful sidestep or to whiff punish.

Xevren

In regards to launchers, you could try and go for counter hit knee setups. His 6k leads to his most damaging combos. Aside from that the only launcher I sometimes go for raw is his 33P, especially if my opponent has a tendency to throw some jabs out since you can crouch dash in and delay that.

zlatko

Banned
The times I got it was when I would do 33 G. I'd take the two hits, and have to be spaced far enough that when I did it, I'd evade a hit,a nd not get thrown.

I was confusing this challenge with something else. Not sure what.

Either way did 10 of the license challenges. Feels good man. 10th one was a bit frustrating as I thought the A.I was reading my inputs, but then on my third try I realized they are only doing 1-2 pattern strings, and I just had to learn to correctly block/punish.

This is slowly shaping up to be my favorite fighter this generation. It clicks with me on every level thus far.

Daigoro

so many Jeans this morning... i was getting sick of them.

ggs to daPheenom earlier. his Wolf is very strong, and as we all know... to be strong is... beautiful.

haunts

Bacon of Hope

A good way to get damage is just side step and 33P. I get a ton of combos doing that.

Since you're already doing PP, try PK and hold 4 (backturn). From there you can press P+K which is a mid that ends up in a counter hit more times than you would imagine. PP is good too though,esp near walls where you can a stagger on counter hit with the second punch.

5K is good with Goh from a distance. You can side step and on counter hit the standing K will result in a counter hit crumple. 3K, P is a good punisher too from a distance. You can also use 43P to move in. Its a low and hits a lot of crap they will stick out. Good for ending the match.

Top Bottom