• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

I'm biased but for the record, I've known the Aokana translator (not personally) for years. The guy is honest, hardworking, and an amazing person all around. I trust him.

Jazz573

Oh he deleted the blog post. What a coward.

I'm biased but for the record, I've known the Aokana translator (not personally) for years. The guy is honest, hardworking, and an amazing person all around. I trust him.

Be careful with that, it come back to bite you.

He said somewhere else that he's going through a really rough emotional phase and will be taking some time off from things (IDK if this relates to what he'll do about Aokana). He's not a coward, he's just hurt and needs some time off.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Reminder that fan translation is volunteer work. He probably spent months on the project out of his fandom for the game without thanks or pay (this goes for any fan translation project). He doesn't owe anyone anything, no matter what he promised.

Don't let entitlement get the better of you and put yourself in his shoes. If he wasn't working on this then it would probably never get translated at all.

Jazz573

He said somewhere else that he's going through a really rough emotional phase and will be taking some time off from things (IDK if this relates to what he'll do about Aokana). He's not a coward, he's just hurt and needs some time off.

I have zero sympathy. I don't believe a word he's saying.

Reminder that fan translation is volunteer work. He probably spent months on the project out of his fandom for the game without thanks or pay (this goes for any fan translation project). He doesn't owe anyone anything, no matter what he promised.

Don't let entitlement get the better of you and put yourself in his shoes. If he wasn't working on this then it would probably never get translated at all.

Uhh. I don't feel entitled. Making a blog post about it and then deleting it is pretty damn cowardly. I don't feel he owes me anything. He's still a lying jerk, and everything he's saying is a load of bs.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Uhh. I don't feel entitled. Making a blog post about it and then deleting it is pretty damn cowardly. I don't feel he owes me anything.

Maybe you don't, but this is still a pretty vitriolic turnaround for someone who hasn't been following the project closely
I don't think it's right to immediately just say it's bullshit. I don't see any reason to assume he's lying. I think it's wildly inappropriate to just call him a liar. Unless any evidence comes out, I will continue to believe he's telling the truth.

He's still a lying jerk, and everything he's saying is a load of bs.

Also he deleted the original post to put up a video post, which has been up for at least 8 hours
https://aokanatranslation.wordpress.com/2016/03/16/aokana-update-03152016/

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Someone else would probably Fuwalate it.
Yes, but carry it forward. My statements apply to whoever would pick it up after him as well, and the person after that. This is all fan work and people are getting into a rage over unreasonable expectations (not necessarily in this thread).

Yes, but carry it forward. My statements apply to whoever would pick it up after him as well, and the person after that. This is all fan work and people are getting into a rage over unreasonable expectations (not necessarily in this thread).

The anger I see is mostly at the person's lies and at the general sketchiness of the project. I'm not seeing much of this entitlement for once.

Yuuichi

I disagree.

I see why people are pissed, but I still don't think there's a good reason for it especially considering he's spending his time to make something that will likely be given away. Putting aside whether anything he says is true or not, it's still a labor of love on his part, and not something people should be railing him over.

This is exactly what the a good part entitlement so unfortunately prevalent in the [western] VN community looks like, in my opinion.

It sounds more like you're reacting on principle and preconceptions than on what people are actually saying because I'm not even seeing much anger about not being able to play the game in English. There's a better argument that people are being too harsh in their derision than there is about entitlement, but that's the internet being the internet.

Marche90

I disagree.

I see why people are pissed, but I still don't think there's a good reason for it especially considering he's spending his time to make something that will likely be given away. Putting aside whether anything he says is true or not, it's still a labor of love on his part, and not something people should be railing him over.

This is exactly what the a good part entitlement so unfortunately prevalent in the [western] VN community looks like, in my opinion.

Agreed. Was I looking forward to Aokana? Sure I do, and I still am. Can I get angry at him because he hasn't released the translation? Not really. A LOT of things can go wrong in the way of a translation, and I'm saying this as someone who has fantranslated (From ENG to SPA) before. Where one can get annoyed, however, is the lack of organization of the project. If he has issues with it, get more people to help you, don't try to shoulder everything on your own, or you'll see yourself in the situation OriginalRen is right now.
Also, if you really need to know what murdered my solo project, it was the lack of motivation plus lack of finesse in the resulting output. Making things sound natural in the target language is a hard thing to do. And no, I don't need you to remind me that translating something into a third language is an awful idea.

Also, these days I haven't really worried about the translation scene because I started to work, and my free time has been reduced drastically. To put it in perspective: I began Danganronpa 2 at the beginning of last week, and it took me until yesterday to finish it. Compare it to the weekend that took me to finish the original one.

Knurek

I have zero sympathy. I don't believe a word he's saying.

Uhh. I don't feel entitled. Making a blog post about it and then deleting it is pretty damn cowardly. I don't feel he owes me anything. He's still a lying jerk, and everything he's saying is a load of bs.

I'm sorry, but you come off as entitled. And furious for some reason.
Which is weird considering you're talking about a fan translation. Have you donated to the guy in question? Paid him for doing the translation for whatever the game in question is?

If not, chill, man.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Well, let's take a look and see where that darn ChuSingura46+1 Kickstarter is at!

Funding Canceled
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator about 19 hours ago.

Huh... first I've seen! Surprised they didn't do it for Beastmaster. What's the reason?

First of all, thanks to everyone who pledged and viewed our Kickstarter.
Since launch, we have received outside funds, and as such, we have decided to relaunch with expanded reward tiers and a changed Kickstarter amount.

Nothing relaunched just yet. I wonder what it will even include this time? Still, $6,285 from 131 backers is VERY impressive for it.

Li Kao

Err, sorry for the dumb question but not following the kickstarter scene I have some questions regarding Muv-Luv.
- VNDB lists the download edition for March, it it true ?
- Is there adult content and if there is does the team plan to release the 18+ version ?

With a very quick glance the big releases in the next few months are...
Root Double -Before Crime * After Days - March
Muv-Luv - March
Danganronpa 2 - 18/04
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma - 28/06

Am I forgetting some titles ?

(yeah, I just started Danganronpa and I think I've been bitten hard by the VN bug this time)

They've said just Muv-Luv Extra will be making it out in March, with Unlimited end of April/early May. Alternative sometime later.

Seinarukana seems to finally be releasing. There's Tokyo Babel and Magical Eyes end of March, Ozmafia end of April. Higurashi chapter 3 probably pretty soon. Key is supposed to be releasing Harmonia in the Spring. Grisaia 2 is probably close as well. Root Letter was called a Spring release. Supipara is probably MangaGamer's May release. Sonicomi is dated for the Summer.

So a lot of stuff is coming in the next few months.

mankoto

12814799_1713767005507868_1058501492056994350_n.jpg

We're announcing Frontwing's latest project, right here, before anywhere else! And yes, even Japanese websites!

The title will be "Corona Blossom," and it is planned for digital release on Steam before its physical release in Japan!

The staff working on this project include character artist Nanaca Mai, the illustrator for the SD art for the Grisaia series, and Yuhi Nanao, a scenario writer who worked on "Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori" (Hatsumira, or From the Future Undying). The two previously worked together on "Yukikoi Melt."

There will be English subtitles, provided by our in-house translation team. Don't worry, we have native English speakers. Watch this page for the official announcement!

Via Frontwing's Facebook

Frontwing is hopping on the self-publishing bandwagon too.

Hopefully the translation is decent, they do say they have native English speakers on it.

mankoto

I'm guessing they like how Grisaia has been doing and want the entire pie instead of going off of whatever their royalties are. I just really like the idea of getting more VNs around the same time Japan does. Although considering those ears, they might try and copy Nekopara or something...

Knurek

Frontwing is hopping on the self-publishing bandwagon too.

Hopefully the translation is decent, they do say they have native English speakers on it.

Native speakers don't necessarily make good translators, so I'd be extremely vary of that.
That Flowers demo was translated by an English person and was, by all accounts, terrible.
Time will tell how it goes. Hopefully Frontwing understands that translation quality is a very important factor for VN's success. :\

Native speakers don't necessarily make good translators, so I'd be extremely vary of that.
That Flowers demo was translated by an English person and was, by all accounts, terrible.
Time will tell how it goes. Hopefully Frontwing understands that translation quality is a very important factor for VN's success. :\

It's not a guarantee of anything, but it at least avoids one problem translations originating from Japan have encountered. That they addressed it at all at least shows they are aware of the issue at least.

Li Kao

Tokyo Babel has a demo up.

Oh nice ! Being new to VN I must ask, can VN demos be resumed in the released product or not ?

Oh and while Danganronpa has its hooks in me, I'm in the middle of the first class trial and for something so integral to the game I find it quite underwelming. Not terribad, just not at the level where I would have liked it for something so important to the plot. I shoot colored arguments, big fucking deal.

Oh and while Danganronpa has its hooks in me, I'm in the middle of the first class trial and for something so integral to the game I find it quite underwelming. Not terribad, just not at the level where I would have liked it for something so important to the plot. I shoot colored arguments, big fucking deal.

The logic leaps required get more difficult as the game goes on. You can also boost the logic difficulty if you're finding it too easy, if you haven't already.

Li Kao

The logic leaps required get more difficult as the game goes on. You can also boost the logic difficulty if you're finding it too easy, if you haven't already.

Yeah I must say I was wrong, or more precisely my experience was incomplete at the time of my post. Having now finished the fucking long first trial I'm not so down on the experience, because if each mini game is on the weak side of things, the mix of all these sequences plus the advancing plot was pretty great. And there is the occasional odd Monokuma dialog that makes you go all 'what the hell is really going on here'. Quite enthralling.

Li Kao

I'm sorry to double post but since I have had no luck finding an answer to this question I could really use some help here.
So, while not a fan of extreme scenes, I'm sorta tempted to try Kara no Shojo. To make up my mind I could try the demo but will I be able to import my save in the final game or not ?

(In fact I don't really fear the gore, I'm just really put off by the murders pov)

Jazz573

I'm sorry to double post but since I have had no luck finding an answer to this question I could really use some help here.
So, while not a fan of extreme scenes, I'm sorta tempted to try Kara no Shojo. To make up my mind I could try the demo but will I be able to import my save in the final game or not ?

(In fact I don't really fear the gore, I'm just really put off by the murders pov)

You should play Cartagra first. And no, I don't think you can import saves from the demo

Thank you, I was convinced that Cartagra was a prequel released after Kara, oops...

It was released afterwards in English, but I'd definitely recommend playing it first.

As for the demos, I don't think you can import your saves, but it shouldn't be a big deal as you can just use the skip function to catch yourself up quickly.

Knurek

Anyone who holds the fact that Remember 11 doesn't have a Coco-like route ending doesn't really understand what the game was about.

That's all I can say without spoiling the game.
IMO, the 'twist' is way better than in Ever17. Not many people seem to have 'gotten' it though. :\

10/10, would get played by the Yukidoh again.

Li Kao

So Norn9 or Code: Realize, which one should I buy via this flash sale?

From what I gathered from my times in VitaGaf, Code:Realize would be the better one by a fair margin. If I wasn't in such a bad position I would buy both though. But the times, they are hard, and the interesting deals are a little too frequent for my budget.

In other news, people. Cartagra. Fucking good.
I'm really not into serial killer fictions, and the thing promises to be really bleak, but the game has an interesting cast and the story has potential in a 'I don't know where this ride is going but I'm interested' kind of way.

Anyone who holds the fact that Remember 11 doesn't have a Coco-like route ending doesn't really understand what the game was about.

That's all I can say without spoiling the game.
IMO, the 'twist' is way better than in Ever17. Not many people seem to have 'gotten' it though. :\

10/10, would get played by the Yukidoh again.

Remember11 has a full route cut due to budget reasons. However the result may be, it isn't the way the story was intended to be told.

XMSHO

Remember11 has a full route cut due to budget reasons. However the result may be, it isn't the way the story was intended to be told.

There isn't a reason to take that as an absolute fact, the whole third route scenario is a mere speculation from the fans.
Nakazawa admitted that R11 wasn't finished, but he didn't specify a clear reason for that or how much was cutted from the final product.

Knurek

There isn't a reason to take that as an absolute fact, the whole third route scenario is a mere speculation from the fans.
Nakazawa admitted that R11 wasn't finished, but he didn't specify a clear reason for that or how much was cutted from the final product.

It isn't finished because it was never meant to be finished.

The whole game is meant to be an infinite loop meant to trap Blick Winkel in Kokoro/fake-Satoru's bodies. So that heyou can butt out of other people's lives and more specifically, stop causing real-Satoru's sister to have DID

At least that's my take on the game.

upandaway

It isn't finished because it was never meant to be finished.

The whole game is meant to be an infinite loop meant to trap Blick Winkel in Kokoro/fake-Satoru's bodies. So that heyou can butt out of other people's lives and more specifically, stop causing real-Satoru's sister to have DID

At least that's my take on the game.
Ever17 and Never7 spoilers too
As it stands the game is an infinite loop but the same goes for the other Infinity games until they manage to break out of it. If explainremember11 is spot on there's enough in there for a whole sequel, regardless I do think some stuff were left unexplained that were meant to be addressed in the game (stuff like the baby were probably not, though)

Top Bottom